Preseason Friendly Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
clockender1

Re: Preseason Friendly Thread

Post by clockender1 »

Saka is so fucking quick - and strong. Reiss looks very comfy in possession on the wing.

These two are putting madrid on the back foot.

We are looking the better side now.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Burton just robbed Isco on the edge of the box :lol:

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Superb move by reiss through the middle and eddie misses with a sitter of a header.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

FT - Pens.

We just about deserved to win.

The last 20 minutes, Reiss Nelson was the best player on the pitch.

Ian Dark is right, he has to be on the bench at least this year.

GunnDog

Post by GunnDog »

Arsenal vs Real Madrid

Arsenal took a 2-0 lead after Madrid had a player sent off for hand ball. They then proceeded to coast it - until RM upped their game (and brought on some decent subs), to score 2 goals in 2 minutes.

For me, Ozil was at fault for the 1st goal, marking a player then suddenly giving up. Mkhitaryan had a similar couldn't-care-less attitude to marking, giving rise to the second goal.

Only when the young players came on, did we start to show some pace and fight. We put a half-decent RM lineup under a fair bit of pressure.

Again, I cannot understand why Arsenal believe they need Zaha - we have plenty of pace in these young players - and we are still faffing about with the Tierney deal - the kind of player we desperately need

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Lost on pens - xhaka, nacho and burton missed. Lovely pens from Reiss and Saka.

Bale missed one too. :lol:

Tough on Burton to take the missing pen.

A good game, it will probably be our toughest pre-season test - they had as much quality on the bench as we had starting.

Once again, we proved there is nothing wrong with us going forward. But when under the cosh we drop back too deep.

The pace and directness of the young subs saved us in the end and put madrid on the back foot and made them drop back. As soon as they did, whenever they lost the ball we cut them to pieces.

Martinez was as good as Leno on the ball and a little more assertive in the box.

A good night for us i think.

VCC. :barscarf:

Zanatos3

Post by Zanatos3 »

This game was good man, Ozil fought against his old side, the most I've seen from him this season, still wasn't enough though, for what a no.10 should offer, but I was glad to see fight! The Entire team fought well! Nelson just needs a confidence boost & iller instinct passed down from the coaches to his mind & Laca & Auba directly by example. Quicker to strike & act, less touches & a powerful decisive shot after creating space & losing a defender.

Forget Zaha

We have SAHA, Nelson, Eddie, Iwobi , WILLOCK & a very young Martinelli, Veterans Auba Laca & Torreira to guide them

The FRONT & MID are alright.

the back though
2019-07-23.jpg
Notice Mustafi is FIT & AGAIN Excluded from the UEL Final 1st Team & the entire of this Match against Real Madrid with Hazard Starting for the 1st time! Clearly not in Emery's plans, Smartly so! & not even brought on when we went a man down, Zidane brought off an attacker & put on a Defender Varane, World class, when they got a red card, Emery knew he could NOT do the same with Mustafi even though he's Senior to Chambers,

Because putting on Mustafi against Quality opposition is Proven to be 'Going a man down!'

Jenkinson.....boy...I don't know where you got that from, but I'm greatful, I have nothing bad to say, ....in this match. Thank you!!!

Lastly

FIND WALDO!!!
We Need Defenders...This Happened SO many Times...Space.jpg

This GAP was open for most of the 2nd half,
Real NEVER gave Waldo the ball, [whoever this guy on the right-bottom is]
For some reason they NEVER gave him the ball even though our defenders left this GAP Many many times in the game,
So Real are still a work in progress under Zidane, at this time, Not at the Very Top of their game,
& we still lost, but we are at a different HOPEFULLY developing Stage in terms of the Team Quality & Dynamic.

I hope we get to sell Musti & Xhaka in this window, otherwise we still go foward,

but I pray at LEAST we bring in a Quality CB

& LB in this window, otherwise the season will be the same or Worse than the last with our aging defense.
[kos 33, Monreal 33]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

I must of been watching a completely different game to everyone else.

we were hanging on against a team that didn't even get out of third gear. if they had moved up another gear they would of wiped the floor with us.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

we were hanging between the sending off and the subs coming on.

dick agrees about the kids :
The perfect role for Emery's young guns

Arsenal were on the rocks when Unai Emery turned to his bench, throwing Eddie Nketiah, Reiss Nelson and Bukayo Saka in at the deep end as the Gunners tried to hold Isco, Marcelo et al at bay.

What he was rewarded with was a punchy performance of counter-attacking football in which Arsenal could well have had one or more goal. Nketiah spurned a brace of chances in short succession whilst better decision-making from Nelson could well have brought a goal for one of his team-mates.

Yet pre-season is not about results, as pleasurable as it would have been for Arsenal to sign off their tour of the USA rather than a penalty shootout defeat. What Emery learned from those final 15 minutes at FedEx Field was that his young talents are sufficiently fearless and instinctive to be able to take the game to any opponent.

"In the last minutes, the young players' impact was amazing," Emery said. "This moment for them, for us, was perfect.
they totally turned the game around - Reiss and Saka particularly.

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

These three preseason friendlies in the home of soccer were very well attended from what I saw. Also, a large proportion of all three crowds were wearing Arsenal shirts, not just the latest but retro and vintage too. I suppose that's a good thing? :barscarf:

herbert

Post by herbert »

Red Snapper wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:31 pm
These three preseason friendlies in the home of soccer were very well attended from what I saw. Also, a large proportion of all three crowds were wearing Arsenal shirts, not just the latest but retro and vintage too. I suppose that's a good thing? :barscarf:
Yep, amazing the support for Arsenal and the best shirt I saw was on a young lady who had Harry Kane is a ++nt written across it :barscarf:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

herbert wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:14 pm
Red Snapper wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:31 pm
Yep, amazing the support for Arsenal and the best shirt I saw was on a young lady who had Harry Kane is a ++nt written across it :barscarf:
:lol:

What a classy girl :lol:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

It seems to have been a good game, only seen highlights. Martinez was at fault for both their goals and frankly not too confident of him being the back up keeper. He needs to get a decent haircut, when a keeper starts stylising their hair, to me, they're not 100% focussed on their position. It's different for outfield players. Keepers need to be focussed on their craft, not pissing about with highlights in their hair.
It was a good workout against some good teams. The tour feels a lot more positive than last season. Chambers seems to have come back a more focussed player, and seems to have played his way into Emery's plans. The kids have been a revelation, playing with no fear.

augie

Post by augie »

Not AFC related I know, but Atletico madrid are tearing real madrid a new arsehole at the mo - 18 minutes gone and athletico are already 3-0 up :shock: :shock: :shock:

I NEVER rated zidane as a manager and have always claimed that his success had nothing to do with his coaching or tactical acumen, and everything to do with the fact that he had a high quality squad and his job was to keep them happy - now he has come back to take over an aging and disjointed squad, who seem to have no unity and not enough quality, and he will be shown up as a manager that cannot build a team and will be like a rabbit caught in the headlights

augie

Post by augie »

4 nil now :shock: :shock: :shock: