Preseason Friendly Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SydneyGooner

Re: Preseason Friendly Thread

Post by SydneyGooner »

Really wanted to beat these *word censored* at the Nou Camp for once :( .But at least the youth all played really well.

Midz

Post by Midz »

Not a bad game to be fair. I too was looking forward to penalties.
That young Saka looks interesting.
We definitely need something in the defence department before Thursday, and I hope to see a few shipped out by then as well.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Strange game that, thought we did really well first half and then went to shit for most of the second, some decent performances from the youngsters but in all honesty i can't see us improving much this season with our woeful defence.

We have to pin all our hopes on Holding having an outstanding season and managing to stay fit and forming a good partnership with Papa, we're going to struggle on both flanks at the back and with Xhaka doing his thing we're likely to be porous through the middle too. Its going to be an interesting season but if i'm honest my expectations have been tempered under the new manager.

augie

Post by augie »

Was happy enough with that run out albeit that I felt we should have made a few more changes earlier (Torreira needs more game time ffs).

A few quick thoughts -

1. The Armenian pussy is fcuking useless and there is no getting away from that. Once in a blue moon lard arse will do something well, and once in a blue moon mustafi will make a great tackle/block, but mikki doesnt contribute anything ever. Give the c.unt away on a freebie please

2. In theory xhaka is meant to play the position where the game goes through him as he takes the ball from the back 4 and keeper - the douzi gave him a lesson on how to do it. He was constantly showing for the ball and giving his defenders an option, where as xhaka goes missing far too often imo. Yes the douzi is gonna get caught dallying in possession at times until he learns to move it quicker, but he does not lose as much possession as xhaka does.

3. As a team we defended well tonight - yes we had a few hairy moments (chambers had 2 in 5 minutes), but I thought that we defended well and sokratis and chambers by and large looked a decent partnership

4. Maitland-Niles was the motm for me - yes he fcuked up big time for the own goal, but he wasn't beaten one on one all night, and his attacking runs in the first half were really impressive too

5. Unlike some others on here, I felt that the majority of the game passed by our youngsters like Willock and nelson - Willock had one outstanding clearance, and had few nice touches, but seemed peripheral in the game and to me the position of playing off the front man doesnt suit him

6. Playing in that position does suit Ceballos though - he took up better positions and got on the ball more than Willock, and I would like to see him getting decent game time to ensure he isn't another denis suarez. Martinelli and saka came on at the same time as him, and I felt both did well also.

If that game was a proper competitive game then maybe they tear us apart with the amount of possession they had, but that shouldn't take away from the disciplined performance we seen tonight

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

augie wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:35 pm
Was happy enough with that run out albeit that I felt we should have made a few more changes earlier (Torreira needs more game time ffs).

A few quick thoughts -

1. The Armenian pussy is fcuking useless and there is no getting away from that. Once in a blue moon lard arse will do something well, and once in a blue moon mustafi will make a great tackle/block, but mikki doesnt contribute anything ever. Give the c.unt away on a freebie please

2. In theory xhaka is meant to play the position where the game goes through him as he takes the ball from the back 4 and keeper - the douzi gave him a lesson on how to do it. He was constantly showing for the ball and giving his defenders an option, where as xhaka goes missing far too often imo. Yes the douzi is gonna get caught dallying in possession at times until he learns to move it quicker, but he does not lose as much possession as xhaka does.

3. As a team we defended well tonight - yes we had a few hairy moments (chambers had 2 in 5 minutes), but I thought that we defended well and sokratis and chambers by and large looked a decent partnership

4. Maitland-Niles was the motm for me - yes he fcuked up big time for the own goal, but he wasn't beaten one on one all night, and his attacking runs in the first half were really impressive too

5. Unlike some others on here, I felt that the majority of the game passed by our youngsters like Willock and nelson - Willock had one outstanding clearance, and had few nice touches, but seemed peripheral in the game and to me the position of playing off the front man doesnt suit him

6. Playing in that position does suit Ceballos though - he took up better positions and got on the ball more than Willock, and I would like to see him getting decent game time to ensure he isn't another denis suarez. Martinelli and saka came on at the same time as him, and I felt both did well also.

If that game was a proper competitive game then maybe they tear us apart with the amount of possession they had, but that shouldn't take away from the disciplined performance we seen tonight
Augie was it worth the 10 Euros?

98,000 crowd for a friendly is huge, obviously they all came to see The Arsenal (get hammered)

That's the best result we've had out there this century. Haven't seen AMN og, but pleased he done it in a friendly. He won't do that ever again. Is it a coincidence that Mustafi comes on and we concede?
It seems put a decent defender next to sokratis and we look better as a unit.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Wasn't a bad game, certainly in the first half.Second half, as always in these games, the raft of substitutions take from the game.
Decent performance, thought AMN was good at right back, didn't look as passive as at times last season. OG was a disaster (well in a friendly context) . Chambers could be clearly seen telling AMN to be calm as he had time . AMN was relatively calm but for whatever reason Leno decided to come for the ball. If Leno called then it was AMN's fault if he didn't then it was his fault Chambers had seriously hairy moments, but I suppose done ok otherwise. Arsenal's worst moments at the back were generally of their own making..Xhaka and Mikitharyian were awful..Neither offered anything .Thought Willock was ok with some good moments. Not sure about Nelson. Haven't seen him before and was expecting him to be more direct. He was ok though.
Ozil had a ok first half, brilliant pass for the goal . Saka looked a threat. Knew we would concede when Mustafi came on. He is bad and his confidence must be shot to pieces. Massive gap to let Suarez in for the winner..Gap wasn't just in width but also in depth between him and Chambers for the winner. Was it worth €10 Augie?
Commentator was boring but having said that the lack of a Jack in the box intervention from an expert pundit was refreshing.

augie

Post by augie »

Bradywasking wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:12 am
Wasn't a bad game, certainly in the first half.Second half, as always in these games, the raft of substitutions take from the game.
Decent performance, thought AMN was good at right back, didn't look as passive as at times last season. OG was a disaster (well in a friendly context) . Chambers could be clearly seen telling AMN to be calm as he had time . AMN was relatively calm but for whatever reason Leno decided to come for the ball. If Leno called then it was AMN's fault if he didn't then it was his fault Chambers had seriously hairy moments, but I suppose done ok otherwise. Arsenal's worst moments at the back were generally of their own making..Xhaka and Mikitharyian were awful..Neither offered anything .Thought Willock was ok with some good moments. Not sure about Nelson. Haven't seen him before and was expecting him to be more direct. He was ok though.
Ozil had a ok first half, brilliant pass for the goal . Saka looked a threat. Knew we would concede when Mustafi came on. He is bad and his confidence must be shot to pieces. Massive gap to let Suarez in for the winner..Gap wasn't just in width but also in depth between him and Chambers for the winner. Was it worth €10 Augie?
Commentator was boring but having said that the lack of a Jack in the box intervention from an expert pundit was refreshing.

I'll echo what rodders said at the start of the game …….. "My first experience of premier sports and it’s an absolute cluster fuck" :lol: :lol:
When the programme came on first someone (dunno if it was the commentator) was talking away to some sound guy back in the studion and was totally oblivious to the fact he was live on air. Then they showed the players out on the pitch pre-match, but there was silence accompanying it (no chat from the commentator or noise from the fans). Then when the game started we had about 1 minute of spanish commentary before we had another 5 minutes of silence before ian darke (commentator) took over, but even then it sounded like he was doing it from his own house and there was no noise from the stadium at all :roll: Poor, poor effort from premier sports if I'm honest

Maybe I am too old to be thinking like this, but most of the reason I paid the €10 was to get my first view of pepe in action :oops: Disappointed but not entirely shocked that he wasnt involved in the game last night, but I have to say that I am very disappointed that Torreira wasnt more involved last night. Agreed totally with the concept of starting the strongest team of those that were up to match speed, but key players that were late returning to training like torreira, needed at least 30 minutes last night to give him any chance of being nearly ready for start of season. People forget that after the geordies and burnley we have the victims and the scum, and how match fit are torreira and pepe likely to be by then if they don't get many minutes in the first 2 games ?

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Generally positive signs from the game, with a near full strength side and full house watching Barca wanted to win

Well known Mustafi, Miki should be nowhere near the first team, we need strengthening at the back, hopefully Bellerin, Tierney if proven fit, and Holding can supply

Monreal ran ragged first half and Chambers same in second half, neither are up to standard in my opinion

Have to blame AMN for the OG, i think he's decent but is way too casual at times

Good signs though, and i genuinely believe we can make top 4

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

End of discussion :roll:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Watched highlights a few times now from the barca match, what was leno rushing out his goal for when there was danger. AMN has taken the flak for the og but in my opinion it was leno who was way out of position.
Thought we played well as a unit, Nelson looks like he's ready as does willock. Xhaka kept rugby tackling that young kid for some reason. Even Ozil looked interested. Saka put in a couple of sweet crosses and i hope we see more of him this season, looks a better prospect than Nelson.

Poldi

Post by Poldi »

Went to Southampton - 1. FC Köln on Saturday, Arsenal well represented