Jose Antonio Reyes - RIP

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
TeeCee

Re: Jose Antonio Reyes - RIP

Post by TeeCee »

With all the ‘shit’ that goes on in our lives and we moan like fuck......and then you get news like this. 35 years old and everything to live for. Totally shocked.
RIP Jose.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Tragic news. The first spaniard to win the Premier League. He was rumoured to be on the way here to coach next year.

I always thought he was so quick that he was played out of position on the wing, and should have been an out and out CF.

RIP fella, you will never be forgotten. :barscarf:

gazzatt2

Post by gazzatt2 »

RIP
Will never forget that Chelsea game

Sean

Post by Sean »

RIP :(

shu

Post by shu »

I remember a super goal against Chelsea first game . Did his bit , could have done more but went home

RIP

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Respectful minute applause from all supporters in the stadium and players before kick off. Shame the 8 uefa VIP's didn' join in, they'll never learn.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

R.I.P Reyes, great little player, very sad, thoughts are with his family.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

They are saying he was dong 120 mph - 50 over the speed limit.

What happened wasn't an accident.

Maybe im being to harsh, but cmon, the road turns into a graveyard when driving recklessly.

augie

Post by augie »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:00 am
They are saying he was dong 120 mph - 50 over the speed limit.

What happened wasn't an accident.

Maybe im being to harsh, but cmon, the road turns into a graveyard when driving recklessly.

No maybe - unless you are driving miss daisy, I'm sure you have broken the speed limit yourself (unless you don't drive). I have broken the speed limit many times myself, so I certainly wont take the hypocritical/holier than thou position. The car got a blow out which caused the crash, but even if it didn't, he didn't intend to crash so stop with the "it wasn't an accident" b.ulshit :roll:

augie

Post by augie »

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Always rated Jose and I think he was one of those footballers who could have had a glittering career, had circumstances panned out differently.

I got the feeling that he was a fairly simple boy, who found it hard to settle in a foreign country. There were also rumours about issues with Henry. The treatment meted out to him by United, whenever he played against them was an outrage and maybe I'm daft, but it seemed to affect how he felt about playing in England.

The Nevilles kicked him all over the park, but worst of all was the tackle on him by Scholes in the 2004 FA Cup semi. Jose had just come on as sub and almost immediately, Scholes slid, studs up, straight into the side of his ankle....clearly deliberately and nowhere near the ball. Jose had to go off. It was a straight red in my opinion, but obviously not for one of Fergie's boys :roll: . Not sure that Scholes was even booked.

RIP Jose.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Herd

Post by Herd »

He was a great player but was badly let down by his colleagues at Arsenal .
After the Spanish National manager made racists remarks about Henry he was effectively sent to Coventry for not telling the Spanish coach where to go.
If you've seen the vid Reyes looks very embarrassed and laughs nervously as the manager rants on .
Pires never passed to him again and Henry never spoke to him after this event only Berkamp stood up for the lad .
As others have said he was a poor Gypsy kid and had suffered racism at hoe in Spain so I found it ironic.

RIP !

goonertone

Post by goonertone »

Herd wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:54 am
After the Spanish National manager made racists remarks about Henry he was effectively sent to Coventry for not telling the Spanish coach where to go.
If you've seen the vid Reyes looks very embarrassed and laughs nervously as the manager rants on .
Pires never passed to him again and Henry never spoke to him after this event only Berkamp stood up for the lad .
As others have said he was a poor Gypsy kid and had suffered racism at hoe in Spain so I found it ironic.

RIP !
That's interesting as i'd never made the connection between what the Spanish coach said about Henry and how Reyes was treated. Always thought it was more an ego thing with Henry. Explains a lot.

augie

Post by augie »

goonertone wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:19 am
Herd wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:54 am

RIP !
That's interesting as i'd never made the connection between what the Spanish coach said about Henry and how Reyes was treated. Always thought it was more an ego thing with Henry. Explains a lot.

I agree with what herd said, but I also believe that there was a bit of an ego thing with henry too - the treatment he received from some of the (French) players was a disgrace and wont have happened if TA6 was still in the dressing room :evil: