VAR

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Redarmy

Re: VAR

Post by Redarmy »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:48 am
VAR has all but killed the game. I now hate watching football. The spontaneity of celebrating a goal has been nullified. We might as well be watching tedious fucking homo ball rugby ffs. :roll:

And it is no more accurate or foolproof than a referee. Two major decisions in our game and both incorrect. Saha dived. 100 percent dived. He moved his leg to Chambers' leg to initiate the contact.  That's a dive. The ref got it right. The VAR cùnt fucked it. Saha is a very clever diver but still a fucking diver. :censored:

As for our disallowed goal? Shameful decision. NEVER A FREE OUT. IT WAS A COMING TOGETHER. And worse - Chambers is actually fouled TWICE before his alleged foul ffs. Their defender pushes him and then Kouyate trips him a split second before the coming together of Chambers and Milowhateverthefuck. The camera angle from behind the goal clearly showed it. And now we find out some fucking statto amateur fucking ref with ZERO premier league experience made the decisions? :censored:

Fuck VAR and fuck modern football.  :censored:
Agreed DB watched the zaha incident many times on video, to me he dived

You have to take into account this is ZAHA, he is a specalist at this, absolutelety down to a fine art, yes can easily be called a foul but thats his skill
He feints to go right, Chambers is back peddling off balance, then Zaha spins left, Chambers now totally lost...then Zaha heads for his outstretched leg and does a somersault, Chambers leg was stuck not moving...he does it so well like no one else in the premiership

The winning goal disallowed not even for dispute, why was VAR called in for this one, that was just pure and plain cheating that fucker in Stockley Park must have been a scum fan

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

I wonder if the powers that be have actually sat down and looked at what VAR is? Seriously?

VAR was brought in because experienced matchday officials who are usually 10 to 15 yards away from the 'incident', were missing big situations or getting a lot of them wrong and they were concerned that one man was getting it wrong........... So they have put a completely inexperienced (as far as the premier league goes) person in an office in front of a screen and have given him carte blanche to decide what situations he reviews, his choice, and they have also given him MORE power than the experienced matchday official so he can overrule them even if they saw an incident perfectly and made a judgement on the back of having reffed maybe a couple of hundred PL games before! So to summarise, to make the game better, VAR has been put into use to ensure that one man does not 'interpret' an incident incorrectly, by putting one man in position where he can also interpret an incident incorrectly or not even bother looking at it!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

FUCKING FARCE!!

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

and you thought that the decision on Sunday was bad...

check this out
https://talksport.com/football/621278/v ... desliga-2/

:shock: :D :banghead:

clummo123

Post by clummo123 »

Utter madness. :shock:

herbert

Post by herbert »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:59 am
and you thought that the decision on Sunday was bad...

check this out
https://talksport.com/football/621278/v ... desliga-2/

:shock: :D :banghead:
Why did var need to get involved :shock:
Ridiculous decision

Clash

Post by Clash »

Problems aside, how much better was last nights game without the threat of VAR looming over it?

I know our equaliser and their penalty shouldn't have been given but its not as is VAR isn't making any wrong decisions.

I've seen the a few non-PL games this season and football is so much better to watch without VAR.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Clash wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:58 am
Problems aside, how much better was last nights game without the threat of VAR looming over it?

I know our equaliser and their penalty shouldn't have been given but its not as is VAR isn't making any wrong decisions.

I've seen the a few non-PL games this season and football is so much better to watch without VAR.
This 100% ^^ 8)

Was such a nice change not to have that dreadful couple of minutes after every goal whilst you wait to see if some stat obsessed virgin is going to disallow it. :censored:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Lots of talk about the PL "reviewing" how VAR is used. For me there are only two options:

1. Scrap the whole shit idea. (My personal choice).

2. Limit it's use to one (maybe two max) requests per manager per half. This would be workable and reduce the negative impact on the game. Let each manager have one opportunity per half to request a VAR review of an incident. They ask the fourth official to signal the ref and the ref goes to VAR. If they only have one opportunity per half they will only use it for the serious shit like goals pennos and red cards.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:11 am
Lots of talk about the PL "reviewing" how VAR is used. For me there are only two options:

2. Limit it's use to one (maybe two max) requests per manager per half. This would be workable and reduce the negative impact on the game. Let each manager have one opportunity per half to request a VAR review of an incident. They ask the fourth official to signal the ref and the ref goes to VAR. If they only have one opportunity per half they will only use it for the serious shit like goals pennos and red cards.
Number 1 would be a sad day for the sport and show the FA up to be the Luddites they are - technology that has worked perfectly well in other sports for years, and sadly football (the richest sport of all) is unable to operate it effectively

Suggestion number 2 however is the most obvious one of the lot and one I have been advocating from the start - in tennis the players know they have 1 or 2 referrals, same in cricket and they know to use them sparingly and only for occasions where they think there has been genuine wrongdoing. At the moment they just surround the ref for every potential handball, trip, shirt pull etc and it is a farce. Each team gets one referral each per half. The manager notifies the 4th official that he wants to review the incident - they ask the video ref - he confirms the decision or otherwise and the referral is won or lost. Now.....that of course would be just too easy for football to implement wouldn't it

The FA never wanted VAR anyway and neither did UEFA, so its plain and obvious to me that there is deliberate sabotage so that enough fans confuse a good idea badly executed, with a bad idea. Sadly I think its working

Perhaps we should go back to using a pig's bladder tied up with shoelaces and replace the crossbar with tape too........honestly, only in football

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:

It's not really VAR though that is the problem. It is the fu.ckwits who are using it and their interpretation of the rules that are screwing things up.
Anthony Taylor has fast become a jumped up fanny and his use of VAR for Everton v Spurs was plain daft.

The rules of the game need to be looked at in light of the issues thrown up by VAR and rewritten in a sensible way that allows them to work with VAR. We have given refs the abilty to make it even more about them and many of them don't need encouaging in that respect.

I would like to see a VAR trial with a second separate studio with a couple of sensible ex footballers having a go at VAR to see how they got on. I can't help but think they would produce a better service than the refs.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:00 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:

Number 1 would be a sad day for the sport and show the FA up to be the Luddites they are - technology that has worked perfectly well in other sports for years, and sadly football (the richest sport of all) is unable to operate it effectively

Suggestion number 2 however is the most obvious one of the lot and one I have been advocating from the start - in tennis the players know they have 1 or 2 referrals, same in cricket and they know to use them sparingly and only for occasions where they think there has been genuine wrongdoing. At the moment they just surround the ref for every potential handball, trip, shirt pull etc and it is a farce. Each team gets one referral each per half. The manager notifies the 4th official that he wants to review the incident - they ask the video ref - he confirms the decision or otherwise and the referral is won or lost. Now.....that of course would be just too easy for football to implement wouldn't it

The FA never wanted VAR anyway and neither did UEFA, so its plain and obvious to me that there is deliberate sabotage so that enough fans confuse a good idea badly executed, with a bad idea. Sadly I think its working

Perhaps we should go back to using a pig's bladder tied up with shoelaces and replace the crossbar with tape too........honestly, only in football
What other sports SteveO? Tedium Homoball? This obsession with looking to utter shit like rugby for solutions to football's ills is ludicrous mate.

You simply cannot compare the two. Stuff that works in a game built around slow movement and stoppages in flow every few seconds does not work in a game based on pace and (almost) continuous play. Because of the very nature of football many many incidents are open to interpretation and no matter who makes the decision, be it referee or statto virgin in a VAR studio, it's still in most scenarios going to be their interpretation.

Whereas before it was frustrating when refs got it wrong we now have added stoppages and delays and still the VAR reviewer often gets it wrong. So no improvement just negatives. Worst of all it has all but killed the enjoyment of a goal being scored, killed that explosive instant release of celebration and joy. Now we wait for 2 to 4 minutes while some incompetent inexperienced fuckwit gets it wrong anyway!

Just because we have the technology to do something does not mean we should do it.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:08 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

What other sports SteveO? Tedium Homoball? This obsession with looking to utter shit like rugby for solutions to football's ills is ludicrous mate.

You simply cannot compare the two. Stuff that works in a game built around slow movement and stoppages in flow every few seconds does not work in a game based on pace and (almost) continuous play. Because of the very nature of football many many incidents are open to interpretation and no matter who makes the decision, be it referee or statto virgin in a VAR studio, it's still in most scenarios going to be their interpretation.

Whereas before it was frustrating when refs got it wrong we now have added stoppages and delays and still the VAR reviewer often gets it wrong. So no improvement just negatives. Worst of all it has all but killed the enjoyment of a goal being scored, killed that explosive instant release of celebration and joy. Now we wait for 2 to 4 minutes while some incompetent inexperienced fuckwit gets it wrong anyway!

Just because we have the technology to do something does not mean we should do it.

Oooh, there's an open doorway to some huge questions of ethical philosophy.....I’m just not sure this forum is quite ready for them ! :proudtosay:
:lol: :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:55 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Oooh, there's an open doorway to some huge questions of ethical philosophy.....I’m just not sure this forum is quite ready for them ! :proudtosay:
:lol: :wink:
:lol:

Clash

Post by Clash »

DB10GOONER wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Excellent post mate 8)

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Lets all yearn for the days when a 46 year old bloke runs after top athletes half his age, making mistake after mistake, and refusing to believe that technology has any role in improving that

I'm sure the Wimbledon organisers are already hatching a plan to do away with hawkeye and just have the line judges guess if the ball was out or not......after all we wouldn't want to upset old Doris, aged 68, in case she said it was in when it wasn't

Likewise the cricket authorities are considering, removing the snickometer and hotsport, preferring instead to rely on 60 year old Gerald's eyesight and hearing abilities to judge whether a 94 mph delivery edged the bat or not. Best not offend the old boy....he's a good old chap after all

Football - truly the world's most backward looking game

Just think how much better it would have been if we hadn't corrected Mr Magoo's decision at Old Trafford when Aubameyang was 4 yards onside and he still managed to flag it down. Would have been much better to lose 1-0 rather than the 1 minute inconvenience of reviewing the camera. Would have been a right shitter winning that 2001 FA Cup Final too when Henchoz stopped Henry making it 2-0 with his hand. Feels a lot better knowing the old c.unts on the day made an 'honest mistake'