VAR

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Bradywasking

Re: VAR

Post by Bradywasking »

If you take both sides of the VAR argument into consideration your view on it can become very subjective. Yes imagine the anti climatic feeling in Anfield 89 as we waited for three minutes as the ref watched dozens of replays of Smudger's goal.
Yet who wouldn't have welcomed it in Cardiff '01 when Henchoz should have been sent off and Arsenal should have had an early pernalty?
Or in Old Trafford in '04 when Rio Ferdinand would have been sent off and Shrek would have been booked for diving instead of Riley giving him a penalty . But to counteract that there has veen times that I would have been relieved that there wasn't VAR in operation. , Fabregas' raised arm in a defensive wall at home to the Victims in 09(?) In the last minute of a 1-0 win springs to mind.
I agree it is cumbersome , it lacks spontaneity and takes old fashioned talking points out of the game, I agree it has to be operated by unbiased professional people. If streamlined in some way maybe it can work but to do that would make it necessary to take the absolute final decision out of the hands of the referee. . I like the idea of marginal calls against Arsenal being rectified during a game but maybe not at this price.

Clash

Post by Clash »

There was an absolutely outrageous VAR decision in the women's world cup the other day where ... err ... err hang on ... who gives a fuck!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Clash wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:10 pm
There was an absolutely outrageous VAR decision in the women's world cup the other day where ... err ... err hang on ... who gives a fuck!
Vagina Assisted Refereeing? :rubchin:

:D

herbert

Post by herbert »

Clash wrote:
Got to admit that I have watched a couple of games and been very impressed with the level :oops: :lol:

The Aussie offside own goal v Brazil ? :banghead: A long ball into the box towards an Aussie forward who was offside the defender tried to stop it reaching the attacker and headed it in to her own goal ,VAR gives the goal :banghead: ridiculous decision IMHO

The only technology I agree with is the goal line because at least it tells the ref goal or no goal instantly

Clash

Post by Clash »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:42 pm
Clash wrote:

Very good :lol: I might nick that one! :wink:

herbert wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:56 pm
Clash wrote:
Got to admit that I have watched a couple of games and been very impressed with the level :oops: :lol:

The Aussie offside own goal v Brazil ? :banghead: A long ball into the box towards an Aussie forward who was offside the defender tried to stop it reaching the attacker and headed it in to her own goal ,VAR gives the goal :banghead: ridiculous decision IMHO

The only technology I agree with is the goal line because at least it tells the ref goal or no goal instantly
I havent see that one mate but it sounds like more of the typical VAR type nonsense,

I did see the pen that was given in the England v Scotland game and again it was a case of ball to hand - just like you mentioned in the Modern Football Bollocks thread the other day - and should never have been given. The ref didnt spot it so it was brought to her attention by the VAR team I think - which puts pressure on the ref to change their mind otherwise they wouldnt have flagged it up. :roll:

Totally agree about the goal-line technology. That works because it is an instant decision and so far appears to be always the right one.

This time next year this thread could be huge.

CloakedGooner

Post by CloakedGooner »

Clash wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:11 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Clash wrote:

herbert wrote:
Clash wrote:

I havent see that one mate but it sounds like more of the typical VAR type nonsense,

I did see the pen that was given in the England v Scotland game and again it was a case of ball to hand - just like you mentioned in the Modern Football Bollocks thread the other day - and should never have been given. The ref didnt spot it so it was brought to her attention by the VAR team I think - which puts pressure on the ref to change their mind otherwise they wouldnt have flagged it up. :roll:

Totally agree about the goal-line technology. That works because it is an instant decision and so far appears to be always the right one.

Yep, watch this thread! No doubt DB10 will be merging plenty of offshoot VAR threads on to this as well 8)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Clash wrote:

:rubchin:

aka: Mike Dean (aka: anything but camera shy mikey) and Mike Riley (aka: Fergies Gimp) Both BIGGEST Vagina's EVER to step on a football pitch.

:proudtosay:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

CloakedGooner wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:11 pm
Clash wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:11 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Clash wrote:

herbert wrote:
Clash wrote:

Yep, watch this thread! No doubt DB10 will be merging plenty of offshoot VAR threads on to this as well 8)
Fuck yes he will. 8)

:wink:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Was thinking of starting a VAR poll thread :wink: :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

goonersid wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:23 pm
Was thinking of starting a VAR poll thread :wink: :lol:
:lol:

And then you'll wonder why your van is burning outside that site tomorrow..... :lol: :wink:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

The most outrageous VAR decision occurred at the Women's world cup last night. France needed a win to top the group. Nigeria had held them off until VAR awarded a soft penalty. Double jeopardy the Nigerian player received second yellow and was sent off.
French player missed the penalty, hitting the post. The VAR ref and ref ordered the penalty to be re-taken as the Nigerian goalie had moved before ball was kicked. Two French players were encroaching the area at the first penalty. It just takes me back to Auba's penalty versus Spurds. That VAR didn't give any infringements when two were commmitted by Lloris moving and Verthnghon encroaching.
It was a very dodgy decision to give. France eventually won and went through top of the group. I've been supportive of VAR but last night gave an insight on the darkside of VAR and how it can be used to manipulate results that favour one team over another. The commentator didn't say but strongly suggested that something was behind getting the host nation through top of their group. The "fixers" are going to have a field day with VAR.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Nos89 wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:05 pm
The most outrageous VAR decision occurred at the Women's world cup last night. France needed a win to top the group. Nigeria had held them off until VAR awarded a soft penalty. Double jeopardy the Nigerian player received second yellow and was sent off.
French player missed the penalty, hitting the post. The VAR ref and ref ordered the penalty to be re-taken as the Nigerian goalie had moved before ball was kicked. Two French players were encroaching the area at the first penalty. It just takes me back to Auba's penalty versus Spurds. That VAR didn't give any infringements when two were commmitted by Lloris moving and Verthnghon encroaching.
It was a very dodgy decision to give. France eventually won and went through top of the group. I've been supportive of VAR but last night gave an insight on the darkside of VAR and how it can be used to manipulate results that favour one team over another. The commentator didn't say but strongly suggested that something was behind getting the host nation through top of their group. The "fixers" are going to have a field day with VAR.

Christ, VAR and womens football combined........could you get a bigger clusterfuck :rubchin:

What on earth happens in the women's game that requires VAR :roll:

Clash

Post by Clash »

Nos89 wrote:
A colleague was telling me about this but you've described it much better.

VAR is going to be a monster I think. It seems they're now taking several minutes to make decisions that are just as debatable and controversial as the ones they're meant to be improving on. I'm still convinced you could find something to rule out virtually every goal if you look hard enough. Was there no encroachment at all on the re-taken penalty?

Clash

Post by Clash »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:43 pm

Christ, VAR and womens football combined........could you get a bigger clusterfuck :rubchin:

What on earth happens in the women's game that requires VAR :roll:
:lol: :lol:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Clash wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:55 pm
Nos89 wrote:
A colleague was telling me about this but you've described it much better.

VAR is going to be a monster I think. It seems they're now taking several minutes to make decisions that are just as debatable and controversial as the ones they're meant to be improving on. I'm still convinced you could find something to rule out virtually every goal if you look hard enough. Was there no encroachment at all on the re-taken penalty?

Encroachment by french players on both occasions. Being a FIFA run tournament the VAR decisions really are setting a poor standard. Makes no difference if its a mens or womens match. The VAR officials and system will be the same ones used at the mens tournaments, therefore if it is used incorrectly at the at the womens world cup, it will be the same at the mens.
It seems that the the official running the VAR system didn't get the millions of dollars paid into his bank account as promised in his email by the Nigerian prince.