VAR

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Re: VAR

Post by StuartL »

Clash wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:13 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:19 pm
Clash wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:26 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:35 am
Surprised not to have seen a more recent update to this thread from all those outraged by the technology

2 points gained against West Ham, 1 at Old Trafford for a matter of seconds

Can we go back to blowing up a pigs bladder and having a tape instead of the crossbar though.....much more fun
:D

For a change the technology benefited us but the negative side of VAR was still there to see as the long, silent wait in the ground was ridiculous. Especially when it turned out that it was a really straightforward decision that only needed 1 replay. I just cannot understand why it took 3-4 minutes to reach a verdict.
Exactly. ^^^^ 8)

Ffs VAR finally got one right and it was so obviously onside it didn't fucking even need VAR - and still the shit system took 5 fucking minutes to make the decision. Absolute nonsense of a system killing the game for everybody except towel flicker fans who are used to watching players stand around for up to 5 minutes at a time. What next? Should we introduce compulsory arse fingering so we can be even more like the tedious shit that is rugby? :roll:

Fuck VAR. :censored:
hahaha :lol:

Now that handshakes have been banned it might be the right time to introduce that 8)
I’d give it the thumbs up :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

StuartL wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:33 pm
Clash wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:13 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:19 pm
Clash wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:26 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:35 am
Surprised not to have seen a more recent update to this thread from all those outraged by the technology

2 points gained against West Ham, 1 at Old Trafford for a matter of seconds

Can we go back to blowing up a pigs bladder and having a tape instead of the crossbar though.....much more fun
:D

For a change the technology benefited us but the negative side of VAR was still there to see as the long, silent wait in the ground was ridiculous. Especially when it turned out that it was a really straightforward decision that only needed 1 replay. I just cannot understand why it took 3-4 minutes to reach a verdict.
Exactly. ^^^^ 8)

Ffs VAR finally got one right and it was so obviously onside it didn't fucking even need VAR - and still the shit system took 5 fucking minutes to make the decision. Absolute nonsense of a system killing the game for everybody except towel flicker fans who are used to watching players stand around for up to 5 minutes at a time. What next? Should we introduce compulsory arse fingering so we can be even more like the tedious shit that is rugby? :roll:

Fuck VAR. :censored:
hahaha :lol:

Now that handshakes have been banned it might be the right time to introduce that 8)
I’d give it the thumbs up :wink:
:lol:

Rugby player, huh? :D :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

The only - and I do mean ONLY - positive to come out of this COVID19 bastard is no more VAR horseshit on our screens.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:57 pm
The only - and I do mean ONLY - positive to come out of this COVID19 bastard is no more VAR horseshit on our screens.
You not going to be buying the VAR dvd of the season then ?

Relive the classic fuck ups in glorious widescreen, pause at the precious moment and get your own ruler and tape measure out and pretend you have supreme executive power.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

StuartL wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:01 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:

Relive the classic fuck ups in glorious widescreen, pause at the precious moment and get your own ruler and tape measure out and pretend you have supreme executive power.
Ooh.... fucking tempted now! :lol:

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:58 am
StuartL wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Comes with a referee kit for you to wear so you too can look like a tosser watching a tv screen

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:15 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:58 am
StuartL wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Comes with a referee kit for you to wear so you too can look like a tosser watching a tv screen
:lol:

Change "TV screen" to "PC monitor" and I've managed that all by myself with no need for a referee kit! :D 8)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Yaaaaayyy VAR is still fucking shit !! :barscarf:

Football is fucked. :censored:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Just heard on the radio that the FA Premier League have admitted that all three penalty calls in yesterday's game were incorrect calls .Obviously VAR was involved , not having a good week VAR are you?
However they did go on to say that the penalty that will be awarded to Son in the NLD next Sunday will be fine.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Anyone else see Dermot Gallagher on SSN today ? I'm totally confused, from what he was saying, or my understanding of what he was saying, the referee Jon Moss got it wrong for the Man United penalty last night, it was a free out but he could understand VAR not reversing the decision based on information given to them by the referee Moss. Apologies if I got that wrong but the presenter did push him on it but didn't get an answer.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

The predictable, deliberate sabotage of VAR has truly excelled itself this season. So clear that the dinosaurs running the game want to revert the good old days of the bloke in the middle making all the decisions and not using any form of modern technology to assist him. The laced up pigs bladder and tape replacing the crossbar also going to be reintroduced just to ensure the game stays a century behind other sports

Its such easy technology to implement, truly. The third umpire in cricket makes a recommendation to the umpire `- sometimes he agrees with his on field decision, sometimes he overturns it. It takes a couple of minutes, nobody gets offended, the umpire doesn't lose his job or get demotivated - its generally accepted that a bloke half his age bowling at 90mph to a bloke who has a reaction time of a split second might occasionally make the odd error of judgement. Bit like the line judge in tennis might not get it right every time as to whether a 90mph serve touched the edge of the line or not. Only in football could this bullshit be accepted where the referee might just might have made an innocent mistake. Who gives two fucks if the mistake was clear and obvious or not when awarding something as game changing as a penalty or red card.

I've resigned myself to the fact it will be abandoned. Everyone who endorses that loses any right they have to moan about marginal decisions that go against us again.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:19 pm
The predictable, deliberate sabotage of VAR has truly excelled itself this season. So clear that the dinosaurs running the game want to revert the good old days of the bloke in the middle making all the decisions and not using any form of modern technology to assist him. The laced up pigs bladder and tape replacing the crossbar also going to be reintroduced just to ensure the game stays a century behind other sports

Its such easy technology to implement, truly. The third umpire in cricket makes a recommendation to the umpire `- sometimes he agrees with his on field decision, sometimes he overturns it. It takes a couple of minutes, nobody gets offended, the umpire doesn't lose his job or get demotivated - its generally accepted that a bloke half his age bowling at 90mph to a bloke who has a reaction time of a split second might occasionally make the odd error of judgement. Bit like the line judge in tennis might not get it right every time as to whether a 90mph serve touched the edge of the line or not. Only in football could this bullshit be accepted where the referee might just might have made an innocent mistake. Who gives two fucks if the mistake was clear and obvious or not when awarding something as game changing as a penalty or red card.

I've resigned myself to the fact it will be abandoned. Everyone who endorses that loses any right they have to moan about marginal decisions that go against us again.

I very much doubt they'll scrap VAR SteveO. It's like trying to uninvent the atom bomb. If it were scrapped, can you imagine the furore every time the ref makes a clear mistake that is highlighted by TV ? There'd be uproar from managers, players, fans, all cursing the refs and demanding the reinstatement of VAR.

Whether you're in favour of it or not, VAR is like Pandora's box mate. Once open there's no turning back.

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

It's astonishing that last night all three penalty decisions referred to VAR were interpreted incorrectly. I even have to agree with Maureen (yes, I feel sick) that everyone in the world could see that Kane was fouled. He is implying that the VAR ref is bent but there is something very suspicious about what happened last night. Far East gambling syndicate involvement?

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

It's not the technology but the implementation of it . How can the Manure penalty at Villa have been so wrongly judged by VAR..They tell us all incidents are reviewed, but in this case the clear and obvious mistake wasn't overruled. On Nkeitah's red you could argue that it was a subjective call but on the Fernandez penalty no way.
Is VAR biased, ? If so why? Who is calling the shots? Going back to Nkeitah's red card, the VAR looked at it ten to twelve times and then referred it back to the referee. That is cumbersome.If the referee went to the monitor for every major decision then ok, but not occasionally as seems to be happening.
I'm confused by the inconsistencies in it, maybe there are more sinister goings on pulling the strings .

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

I doubt there is any match fixing going on because it's too obvious.

VAR just needs people who can properly use it. Surely there's no need for any of the old biased referees to be sitting there. Train up people on the rules and have them watch the monitors.