VAR

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: VAR

Post by augie »

Rian1 wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:11 pm
augie wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:05 pm
Yet again var showed the inconsistency/shitiness of it all -

1. citeeh should absolutely have had a penalty for handball just before half time, but var backed the ref :roll:

2. perreira (manure) should have been sent off. You tell me ……. if a player kicks another player (not trips him) how is that not a red card ?? It was a violent kick and shocking that he wasn't sent off
Fred going down to block the cross needed his hand/forearm to actually land, surely you don't expect him to slide with his hands behind him?

Pereira's challenge on Sterling was a yellow; not a last man and definitely not a kick, he tripped Sterling's right foot.

Hated every minute of that game as I wanted City to win by 5 but can't be blind and judge from my arse only because I hate United.

Get your arse down to the nearest electrical shop and buy yourself a new tv cos the one you have is knackered - you can make a justifiable argument for the handball, but the second was absolutely a kick and I am amazed that you can claim otherwise

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Nobody can think that VAR has improved football, other than TV broadcasters and those who rely on TV broadcasters being happy (e.g. Premier League).

Last week I watched two games and the highlight from one more. The joke of our game against Norwich where VAR took minutes to make two blindingly obvious decisions and then ignored a stonewall red card, and that fucking farce of a goal for Newcastle in the week.

Not even a remotely controversial week for VAR, but how can anybody with any common sense think this is improving football?

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

augie wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:22 pm
Rian1 wrote:
augie wrote:

1. citeeh should absolutely have had a penalty for handball just before half time, but var backed the ref :roll:

2. perreira (manure) should have been sent off. You tell me ……. if a player kicks another player (not trips him) how is that not a red card ?? It was a violent kick and shocking that he wasn't sent off
Fred going down to block the cross needed his hand/forearm to actually land, surely you don't expect him to slide with his hands behind him?

Pereira's challenge on Sterling was a yellow; not a last man and definitely not a kick, he tripped Sterling's right foot.

Hated every minute of that game as I wanted City to win by 5 but can't be blind and judge from my arse only because I hate United.

Get your arse down to the nearest electrical shop and buy yourself a new tv cos the one you have is knackered - you can make a justifiable argument for the handball, but the second was absolutely a kick and I am amazed that you can claim otherwise
These two posts absolutely show what a waste of time VAR is. Two people see exactly the same thing but have diametrically opposed opinions about what happened.
VAR is killing football as a spectacle.

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

augie wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:22 pm
Rian1 wrote:
augie wrote:

Yeah a kick.. on Sterling's right foot. I am not claiming it's an innocent foul but not a red. Clip of ankle/feet of a player is not gross misconduct. If we want to be specific, it is shin to shin when Pereira goes for the tackle - it would've been overturned by the plonker in the TV room.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

The other games thread is getting cluttered with VAR comments which is understandable.
In yesterday's game at Anfield at face value VAR made the correct decision in overturning the referee's decision to disallow Mane's goal. Llanna played the ball with his shoulder and after checks the goal stood. But Conor Coady asked the ref about Van Dijk's handball before he passed to Llanna. Apparently Taylor told him that Van Dijk was too far away to influence play..Two touches after Van Dijk's pass it is a goal. What has distance to do with that? And Van Dijk did control the ball with his arm,picture stills prove that.
I know I beat the same drum all the time about what I see as desperation on behalf of media and authorities to give Liverpool the title(and nothing will convince me otherwise).
Recently in work there were new practices mooted by supervisors, thhat drew criticism from colleagues. My take on it was no matter how bad something is as long as it is consistent then to a degree it will be manageable.. VAR isn't consistent and doesn't tick the boxes.. For example apparently it cannot act on yellow card incidents so the referee at the Emirates yesterday couldn't be told he made a clear at obvious error in not giving Jorghinho a second yellow card. So what is the point of it..A toenail offside can disallow a goal but mistakes cannot always be rectified.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Anyone that still thinks VAR is the answer or that it has made the game better is out of their mind. The chav not getting a second yellow yesterday should have been looked at with VAR as it was a game changing moment. What's the fucking point of it if major decisions don't get covered? The fact the same chav cùnt then pushed Dozer in the build up to the goal and got away with that also then scored just added insult to injury. VAR is a fucking nonsense. :roll:

bunch

Post by bunch »

When it came in I liked the absolutism of the VAR offside. Whether an attacker is onside or offside is a matter if empirical fact. But these armpit offsides have changed my opinion because they are chalking off goals that pre - VAR would have been fine and even the TV pundit review would have said "they are level, so onside". Reducing the number of goals hurts football, so VAR is definitely damaging the Premier League.

The use of VAR for offside should stop being absolute but more about clear and obvious errors. So not measuring the inches but doing what a linesman does: was there an attacking body ahead of the last defender when the ball was played forward?

In a situation where an attacker is inches ahead of the last defender but to the naked eye would be considered level, what VAR does should depend on how the linesman calls it. If he doesn't flag then VAR should support the reasonable naked eye call of being level and give the goal. If he flags for offside then VAR should support that call as well and give no goal. This approach would connect the fibal decision to what happens in the ground and what the fans can actually see.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

VAR has the ability to be useful but we forgot to factor in the absolute fu.ckwits in charge of using it. Any offside that requires half an hour and lots of dotted lines to establish it should simply not be given. Whatever happened to the benefit going to the attacker. Either the rules of the game need to be changed to better accommodate VAR or else just get rid of it all together.

Clash

Post by Clash »

bunch wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:33 pm
When it came in I liked the absolutism of the VAR offside. Whether an attacker is onside or offside is a matter if empirical fact. But these armpit offsides have changed my opinion because they are chalking off goals that pre - VAR would have been fine and even the TV pundit review would have said "they are level, so onside". Reducing the number of goals hurts football, so VAR is definitely damaging the Premier League.

The use of VAR for offside should stop being absolute but more about clear and obvious errors. So not measuring the inches but doing what a linesman does: was there an attacking body ahead of the last defender when the ball was played forward?

In a situation where an attacker is inches ahead of the last defender but to the naked eye would be considered level, what VAR does should depend on how the linesman calls it. If he doesn't flag then VAR should support the reasonable naked eye call of being level and give the goal. If he flags for offside then VAR should support that call as well and give no goal. This approach would connect the fibal decision to what happens in the ground and what the fans can actually see.
Totally agree with that bunch.

VAR should only need 1 or 2 replays to quickly establish whether the officials missed something obvious. Key example our goal at OT this season.

What they absolutely should NOT be doing is taking several minutes to scrutinise every goal in the most minute detail, looking for the most minor reason to disallow it :banghead:

Jock Gooner wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:12 pm
VAR has the ability to be useful but we forgot to factor in the absolute fu.ckwits in charge of using it. Any offside that requires half an hour and lots of dotted lines to establish it should simply not be given. Whatever happened to the benefit going to the attacker. Either the rules of the game need to be changed to better accommodate VAR or else just get rid of it all together.
Absolutely right Jock.

I dont like VAR at all but if you combine the technology with common sense then it could be make to work. As you say though, it is those in charge that are causing the problem.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

The implementation of VAR has been dogshit but offside is offside, sorry but as an ex defender I'll never buy into the 'attacking player should be given the benefit of the doubt' bollocks, why should he? Why shouldnt the defender be given the benefit of the doubt that he moved up and got the player offside.

Sick of all this crap where forwards and midfielders are given every advantage for the sake of the game and excitement, it's supposed to be a sport about skill and ability not an entertainment.... it sounds so 'Sky Sports' and is exactly everything that is wrong with modern football.

If a defender went down like hed been taken out by a sniper every time a player touched him he'd be given dogs abuse for being weak but when an attacker or midfielder does it it is good play, buying the free kick or whatever excuse :ewwwww:

VAR if it were used and implemented correctly should have been able to resolve these problems and see them fade away but it's actually made it worse :banghead:

Clash

Post by Clash »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:24 pm
The implementation of VAR has been dogshit but offside is offside, sorry but as an ex defender I'll never buy into the 'attacking player should be given the benefit of the doubt' bollocks, why should he? Why shouldnt the defender be given the benefit of the doubt that he moved up and got the player offside.

Sick of all this crap where forwards and midfielders are given every advantage for the sake of the game and excitement, it's supposed to be a sport about skill and ability not an entertainment.... it sounds so 'Sky Sports' and is exactly everything that is wrong with modern football.

If a defender went down like hed been taken out by a sniper every time a player touched him he'd be given dogs abuse for being weak but when an attacker or midfielder does it it is good play, buying the free kick or whatever excuse
:ewwwww:

VAR if it were used and implemented correctly should have been able to resolve these problems and see them fade away but it's actually made it worse :banghead:
Defenders (or defending players) throwing themselves down after virtually no contact is rife in the game mate. In fact I would say it is the most common of the dives now and often gets defenders out of a tricky position ... like when they're being forced back towards their own goal. The refs fall for it time and time again and most commentators accept it and blame the opponent for giving them an excuse to go down. It is as much cheating as when an attacking player does it IMO and defenders do not get pulled up on it anywhere near enough.

Agree with the rest of your post though :)

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

I cant argue with what you say Clash but listen to the derisive comment made by the pundits when they do it and you'll see the double standard, when an attacking players does it it is good play, when a defending player does it is is weak or poor..... and let's be honest strikers have been doing this going back as far as people like Shearer and Sheringham or even earlier, you'd never catch someone like Adam's, Keown or even Terry Butcher doing it back then :box:

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

Francis Lee was a serial diver and I remember an Argentinian trying it on in the 66 World cup so it's in the DNA of football now I'm afraid.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:24 pm

If a defender went down like hed been taken out by a sniper every time a player touched him he'd be given dogs abuse for being weak but when an attacker or midfielder does it it is good play, buying the free kick or whatever excuse :ewwwww:

So are you happy with the current VAR trend of giving an attacker's big toe as offside ? I played as a CB in my youth and equally appreciate the finer points of the dark arts of defending but for the good of the game they have got to sort out the whole VAR mess cos it's killing the footy.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

I dont like VAR but how many of us equally have criticised linesmen and refs over the years for getting it wrong especially when it's gone against the Arsenal myself included we cant have both ways, it just shit it takes so long. Again the EPL is the only league in Europe to absolutely balls up the implementation of VAR to such an extent it pisses everyone off. It's not perfect in other leagues but they've managed to do it in such a way that it causes less problems. It is atypical of the EPL and the PGMO to massively balls something like this up, cant referee properly without VAR and they're even worse when they do have it :banghead: