VAR

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Post Reply
User avatar
Bradywasking
Posts: 5814
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:14 am

Re: VAR

Post by Bradywasking »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:12 pm
I doubt there is any match fixing going on because it's too obvious.

VAR just needs people who can properly use it. Surely there's no need for any of the old biased referees to be sitting there. Train up people on the rules and have them watch the monitors.
Modern day technology means it is simply easy to sit in a room in Rome or Munich and make a call on a game in London or Paris. So in the interest of impartiality why not mix it up among the top leagues ? You could have different associations policing games in other countries on a random or rotational basis.

Retro Gunner
Posts: 950
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 3:37 pm
Location: Spitalfields

Re: VAR

Post by Retro Gunner »

Bradywasking wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:03 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:12 pm
I doubt there is any match fixing going on because it's too obvious.

VAR just needs people who can properly use it. Surely there's no need for any of the old biased referees to be sitting there. Train up people on the rules and have them watch the monitors.
Modern day technology means it is simply easy to sit in a room in Rome or Munich and make a call on a game in London or Paris. So in the interest of impartiality why not mix it up among the top leagues ? You could have different associations policing games in other countries on a random or rotational basis.


Only trouble with that BWK, is that you'd have dodgy bent officials in Spain and Italy (if not everywhere else), trying to make sure that the top 4 CL qualifiers were Watford, Palace, Brighton and Villa. :lol:

User avatar
Bradywasking
Posts: 5814
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:14 am

Re: VAR

Post by Bradywasking »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:32 pm
Bradywasking wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:03 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:12 pm
I doubt there is any match fixing going on because it's too obvious.

VAR just needs people who can properly use it. Surely there's no need for any of the old biased referees to be sitting there. Train up people on the rules and have them watch the monitors.
Modern day technology means it is simply easy to sit in a room in Rome or Munich and make a call on a game in London or Paris. So in the interest of impartiality why not mix it up among the top leagues ? You could have different associations policing games in other countries on a random or rotational basis.


Only trouble with that BWK, is that you'd have dodgy bent officials in Spain and Italy (if not everywhere else), trying to make sure that the top 4 CL qualifiers were Watford, Palace, Brighton and Villa. :lol:
True, but a Turin based VAR for a Liverpool game would be karma

Retro Gunner
Posts: 950
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 3:37 pm
Location: Spitalfields

Re: VAR

Post by Retro Gunner »

Bradywasking wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:36 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:32 pm
Bradywasking wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:03 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:12 pm
I doubt there is any match fixing going on because it's too obvious.

VAR just needs people who can properly use it. Surely there's no need for any of the old biased referees to be sitting there. Train up people on the rules and have them watch the monitors.
Modern day technology means it is simply easy to sit in a room in Rome or Munich and make a call on a game in London or Paris. So in the interest of impartiality why not mix it up among the top leagues ? You could have different associations policing games in other countries on a random or rotational basis.


Only trouble with that BWK, is that you'd have dodgy bent officials in Spain and Italy (if not everywhere else), trying to make sure that the top 4 CL qualifiers were Watford, Palace, Brighton and Villa. :lol:
True, but a Turin based VAR for a Liverpool game would be karma

:lol: :lol: Blimey, can you imagine....the victims really would be claiming that the whole world was against them.

User avatar
Bradywasking
Posts: 5814
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:14 am

Re: VAR

Post by Bradywasking »

Last night Palace were denied what looked a clear cut penalty against Manchester United. The referee obviously didn't give it and therefore I would have assumed that VAR would contact the referee and say "you have made a clear and obvious mistake, penalty to Palace. If you don't agree please review it on the pitchside monitor "
But no apparently, as with the penalty United got at Villa, the bar wasn't high enough for VAR to intervene. Where has this "bar" come from. ? Why are we told in commentary that VAR has a look at everything? How can a referee review an incident on a Tuesday evening and upgrade a yellow card to a red card, yet similar incidents are not treated equally in the following days. ?
How can the awarding of a penalty, or failure to award a penalty not be high enough to reach this "bar" ?
Is it incompetent? Yes..Is it biased? You would have to think so at this stage.
Football fans are paranoid about officiating and also about the media. This abomination isn't helping.
Should we go back to human error? Why not, the technology isn't stopping the clear and obvious. It has destroyed football . The idea of celebrating a goal is no longer viable until it gets the all clear. I won a few quid at the races before lockdown. Naively went over to collect my winnings but the girl on the Tote threw her eyes up to heaven and said " you have to wait for the all clear "..Football is like that, "GOAL...please wait for the all clear before celebrating ". In films about any type of sport one thing they cannot get right is celebrations. They are an instantaneous outpouring and if they are delayed they lose so much.
Var isn't working. Time to recycle the machinery.

User avatar
DB10GOONER
Posts: 48130
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland.
Contact:

Re: VAR

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bradywasking wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:45 am
Last night Palace were denied what looked a clear cut penalty against Manchester United. The referee obviously didn't give it and therefore I would have assumed that VAR would contact the referee and say "you have made a clear and obvious mistake, penalty to Palace. If you don't agree please review it on the pitchside monitor "
But no apparently, as with the penalty United got at Villa, the bar wasn't high enough for VAR to intervene. Where has this "bar" come from. ? Why are we told in commentary that VAR has a look at everything? How can a referee review an incident on a Tuesday evening and upgrade a yellow card to a red card, yet similar incidents are not treated equally in the following days. ?
How can the awarding of a penalty, or failure to award a penalty not be high enough to reach this "bar" ?
Is it incompetent? Yes..Is it biased? You would have to think so at this stage.
Football fans are paranoid about officiating and also about the media. This abomination isn't helping.
Should we go back to human error? Why not, the technology isn't stopping the clear and obvious. It has destroyed football . The idea of celebrating a goal is no longer viable until it gets the all clear.
I won a few quid at the races before lockdown. Naively went over to collect my winnings but the girl on the Tote threw her eyes up to heaven and said " you have to wait for the all clear "..Football is like that, "GOAL...please wait for the all clear before celebrating ". In films about any type of sport one thing they cannot get right is celebrations. They are an instantaneous outpouring and if they are delayed they lose so much.
Var isn't working. Time to recycle the machinery.
Agreed 100% and I've said this from the beginning. We are still seeing terrible mistakes being made all the time - whether through incompetence or cheating those bad calls are just as prevalent.

But all VAR has "added" is to kill the joy of celebrating a goal - and slowing the game down to some less homo-erotic version of the utter tedious shit that is rugby.

The defence of "it's not the system that is the problem it's the people operating it" does not wash because until the fucking robots from Terminator take over humans WILL ALWAYS be involved and make the final call ffs. :roll:

I'd rather have a fast fluid game of football with a few refereeing mistakes than a slow stoppy-starty game with a few VAR mistakes that also as a sick bonus kills the joy of celebrating a goal. :censored:

User avatar
augie
Posts: 25930
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: VAR

Post by augie »

I blame the introduction of var on the dipshit fans - they wanted a perfect game with zero mistakes, but that was always an impossible dream. They argued that there is too much money involved to see results being decided by inept officials, but then in their next breath they will bemoan the fact that money has taken over the game and it is no longer a sport :roll: VAR was a concept that practically told the footballing world that there would no longer be big mistakes in the game of football, and this is why the frustration and anger from fans is at an all time high. I was never in favour of var cos I grew up in an era when human error was expected and even accepted if it was a genuine error as opposed to mike reilly levels of corruption - now we have experts and referee's sitting in front of a monitor with all the technology in the world at their disposal, so when they still get it wrong it isnt hard to assume corruption is at the heart of it.

Sadly var wont be going away anytime soon - fifa, after years of opposition to it, were eventually bullied into it, and they wont back down now

User avatar
augie
Posts: 25930
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: VAR

Post by augie »

I think that was a shockingly harsh red card decision on norwich - granted it was the dick.head ref that gave it, but var should have dealt with it before it went to ref, cos it was never a red card

User avatar
IW8Goalmachine
Posts: 2680
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:15 am
Location: Galway

Re: VAR

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Bournemouth are suing however runs goal line technology for the fuck up against villa.

If the PL are going down the VAR route and everything has to be above board and fair then surely they should of awarded them the three points or at least had a replay.

Clash
Posts: 2673
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:46 pm

Re: VAR

Post by Clash »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:25 am
Bournemouth are suing however runs goal line technology for the fuck up against villa.

If the PL are going down the VAR route and everything has to be above board and fair then surely they should of awarded them the three points or at least had a replay.
Bournemouth were not involved in that game. I stand to to be corrected but I think Sheff Utd were the team that scored the goal that wasnt given. I think this is to do with the point Villa got that day that turned out to be enough to keep them up.

I very much doubt anything will come of this but if it does can we replay the 2nd half at Villa from late 1998 where we start 2-0 before the idiot parachutist ( :censored: ) cost us three points? As we lost the title to Man United by a point I think we have a valid case.

User avatar
Bradywasking
Posts: 5814
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:14 am

Re: VAR

Post by Bradywasking »

Clash wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:34 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:25 am
Bournemouth are suing however runs goal line technology for the fuck up against villa.

If the PL are going down the VAR route and everything has to be above board and fair then surely they should of awarded them the three points or at least had a replay.
Bournemouth were not involved in that game. I stand to to be corrected but I think Sheff Utd were the team that scored the goal that wasnt given. I think this is to do with the point Villa got that day that turned out to be enough to keep them up.

I very much doubt anything will come of this but if it does can we replay the 2nd half at Villa from late 1998 where we start 2-0 before the idiot parachutist ( :censored: ) cost us three points? As we lost the title to Man United by a point I think we have a valid case.
We also lost at Sheffield Wednesday after Martin Keown was wrongly sent off in the DeCannio incident. Would we have lost with eleven against Wednesday's ten? Also Heskey scored for Leicester City against Arsenal at Filbert Street in a 1-1 draw, but apparently Heskey had run onto the pitch while or immediately after getting treatment without the referee's ok. And as you say we lost the League by one point, while Manure won the treble.

Post Reply