VAR

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Post Reply
A11M11
Posts: 1344
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:07 am

Re: VAR

Post by A11M11 »

If they can chip the ball why not chip the boots

User avatar
Bradywasking
Posts: 6016
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:14 am

Re: VAR

Post by Bradywasking »

VAR was turned off at Anfield last night. Deliberate elbow in the face, handball in the build up to a goal..After the weekend football had with VAR the one thing that could redeem it , however slightly, was for it to be consistent..It wasn't.

User avatar
DB10GOONER
Posts: 48658
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland.
Contact:

Re: VAR

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bradywasking wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:12 am
VAR was turned off at Anfield last night. Deliberate elbow in the face, handball in the build up to a goal..After the weekend football had with VAR the one thing that could redeem it , however slightly, was for it to be consistent..It wasn't.
It's a dud. Neither fit for purpose nor adds anything positive to the game in comparison to the the amount of negatives it brings. Not consistent. Not 100% accurate. Obviously open to cheating. Not worth a flying fuck.

Add the VAR debacle to fucking shit rule changes like the ludicrous handball in the box rubbish and the completely fucking stupid late off side flag rule and the game is at its least watchable or enjoyable ever.

In the 80s 90s and 2000s I watched almost every game on TV. Now I watch us and maybe one other "big hitter" clash per week maximum and often get bored watching even just those.

The SlySports led push to make the game more like the tedious slow shit that is rugby or the tedious slow stat obsessed shit that is American Football is killing it as a spectacle.

The modern game has eaten it's own arsehole and gone back for seconds on its syphilis riddled vagina. :roll: :censored:

User avatar
Perryashburtongroves
Posts: 7701
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 6:18 pm
Location: At the start of a glorious era.

Re: VAR

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:14 am
Bradywasking wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:12 am
VAR was turned off at Anfield last night. Deliberate elbow in the face, handball in the build up to a goal..After the weekend football had with VAR the one thing that could redeem it , however slightly, was for it to be consistent..It wasn't.
It's a dud. Neither fit for purpose nor adds anything positive to the game in comparison to the the amount of negatives it brings. Not consistent. Not 100% accurate. Obviously open to cheating. Not worth a flying fuck.

Add the VAR debacle to fucking shit rule changes like the ludicrous handball in the box rubbish and the completely fucking stupid late off side flag rule and the game is at its least watchable or enjoyable ever.

In the 80s 90s and 2000s I watched almost every game on TV. Now I watch us and maybe one other "big hitter" clash per week maximum and often get bored watching even just those.

The SlySports led push to make the game more like the tedious slow shit that is rugby or the tedious slow stat obsessed shit that is American Football is killing it as a spectacle.

The modern game has eaten it's own arsehole and gone back for seconds on its syphilis riddled vagina. :roll: :censored:
I think this is true for so many supporters. I've gone from watching almost all the games on TV to now only watching our matches in probably 15 years. I have no interest at all in watching any match not involving us because I really don't care about other teams these days. The spectacle is fucking annoying, the clear bias towards some teams from refs and FA officials, the terrible hypocrisy from the governing bodies and the media and the obvious corruption that exists across the entire game just makes me so bored with it all.
I don't think the FA,Premier League or the broadcasters even care that traditional supporters don't watch much football these days, because we've not the demographic or the market that they are aiming at. There are so many modern football 'fans' who seem to lap it all up, follow players rather than a club and support fuck knows how many teams. They will lap up all the bollox that is fed to them about the games being more exciting because they don't know what it really means to support a club or like football. It's all about getting them to buy the product like a lifestyle and fashion choice and then blow their money on gambling apps and 'exclusive' paid for online content. They devour all the shit that is fed to them. Us old skool fans, the pre-Premier League supporters see straight through it and have never fallen for it and as a result, we don't really care. The broadcasters and money men know this and don't really bother about us.

User avatar
IW8Goalmachine
Posts: 2785
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:15 am
Location: Galway

Re: VAR

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Same here. My football knowledge outside of arsenal is almost zero.

My brothers do be chatting about players I have never heard of :lol:

Clash
Posts: 2719
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:46 pm

Re: VAR

Post by Clash »

Two really great posts DB10G and Perry. Agree with every word.

I watched Bayern v Sevilla the other night and just thought ‘’I’ve seen this game already’’. I didn’t know what the score was gonna be or who would score … but I had seen that game and so many like it before.

Games just feel so samey to me now! The pace of the game never deviates anymore and they’re always played on a perfect pitch. The patterns of play are repetitive and predictable too because every team seems to be coached in a very similar way. And because the players are so fit and there are so many subs, there is almost no chance of seeing the kind of variety in games we used to see. Sideways passing and playing out from the back is the trend too so everything is slower than it used to be.

The history is going too! There is been a widespread abandonment of identity in football. There is a lack of local talent in sides. And games are either played in entirely different stadiums, or the grounds have been totally redeveloped. When we were at Highbury in the mid-80s, apart from a few extra seats, it was the same stadium as it was 50 years before. Even when it was modernised, it was instantly recognisable.

The TV coverage means you can see every team, every week. No need to even consider leaving your house to see it. A mate of mine has two sons who like football but they do not support a team or hate any teams. The only rivalry they see is things like Messi v Ronaldo. They watch games from a neutral perspective. To me this is tragic.

The game is being sold as a product first and foremost and this is destroying the tribal part of it. I do not want a polished product. Fuck that Beautiful Game thing!

User avatar
herbert
Posts: 520
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:25 am
Location: london

Re: VAR

Post by herbert »

Clash wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:46 pm
Two really great posts DB10G and Perry. Agree with every word.

I watched Bayern v Sevilla the other night and just thought ‘’I’ve seen this game already’’. I didn’t know what the score was gonna be or who would score … but I had seen that game and so many like it before.

Games just feel so samey to me now! The pace of the game never deviates anymore and they’re always played on a perfect pitch. The patterns of play are repetitive and predictable too because every team seems to be coached in a very similar way. And because the players are so fit and there are so many subs, there is almost no chance of seeing the kind of variety in games we used to see. Sideways passing and playing out from the back is the trend too so everything is slower than it used to be.

The history is going too! There is been a widespread abandonment of identity in football. There is a lack of local talent in sides. And games are either played in entirely different stadiums, or the grounds have been totally redeveloped. When we were at Highbury in the mid-80s, apart from a few extra seats, it was the same stadium as it was 50 years before. Even when it was modernised, it was instantly recognisable.

The TV coverage means you can see every team, every week. No need to even consider leaving your house to see it. A mate of mine has two sons who like football but they do not support a team or hate any teams. The only rivalry they see is things like Messi v Ronaldo. They watch games from a neutral perspective. To me this is tragic.

The game is being sold as a product first and foremost and this is destroying the tribal part of it. I do not want a polished product. Fuck that Beautiful Game thing!
All very true mate and very sad

User avatar
DB10GOONER
Posts: 48658
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland.
Contact:

Re: VAR

Post by DB10GOONER »

Great posts Clash and Perry. Agree with every word.

The "customer" aspect of modern football is nauseating.

Personally I put alot of this push to a sanitised customer-led experience down to social media and this snowflake concept of "participating" in the latest in-thing. These "customers" are the type of people that go to a gig and film it on their phone or take millions of selfies rather than watch and listen to the band and experience it as a magical moment.

They are the kind of people that just jump from football to rugby or tennis depending on what's trendy at the time. The type of morons that have rubbish on their social media profile like: "I love and live for Arsenal my club and also love Barca and Chelsea and Christiano is my favourite player and also Messi and Harry Kane my hero."

You know, cùnts. :roll:

User avatar
Bradywasking
Posts: 6016
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:14 am

Re: VAR

Post by Bradywasking »

Clash wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:46 pm
Two really great posts DB10G and Perry. Agree with every word.

I watched Bayern v Sevilla the other night and just thought ‘’I’ve seen this game already’’. I didn’t know what the score was gonna be or who would score … but I had seen that game and so many like it before.

Games just feel so samey to me now! The pace of the game never deviates anymore and they’re always played on a perfect pitch. The patterns of play are repetitive and predictable too because every team seems to be coached in a very similar way. And because the players are so fit and there are so many subs, there is almost no chance of seeing the kind of variety in games we used to see. Sideways passing and playing out from the back is the trend too so everything is slower than it used to be.

The history is going too! There is been a widespread abandonment of identity in football. There is a lack of local talent in sides. And games are either played in entirely different stadiums, or the grounds have been totally redeveloped. When we were at Highbury in the mid-80s, apart from a few extra seats, it was the same stadium as it was 50 years before. Even when it was modernised, it was instantly recognisable.

The TV coverage means you can see every team, every week. No need to even consider leaving your house to see it. A mate of mine has two sons who like football but they do not support a team or hate any teams. The only rivalry they see is things like Messi v Ronaldo. They watch games from a neutral perspective. To me this is tragic.

The game is being sold as a product first and foremost and this is destroying the tribal part of it. I do not want a polished product. Fuck that Beautiful Game thing!
Good post, very interesting points Clash. I watched some of the Spuds V Chavs clash last night and realised you are right.I never thought of it before like that, but football games are identical in the main. Going to say something and then put on my tin hat and wait for the response..Here goes, I have watched a lot of football since it returned from lockdown and I think the only maverick character and single game changer currently in football is Jack Grealish. Maybe he stands out because he is in a bad team but he tries and ofter achieves something different. And you know what? If he joined a bigger club that would be sucked out of him.
Football is now drama, an extension of the soap opera on TV. It is plastic and false. Manufactured drama for the sake of drama and for the purpose of keeping us tuned in.. Said it before on this forum, but I will say it again. We are not far from the quick commercial break when VAR is making a decision.
"Will the goal stand? Find out after this short break" type of thing.Just like the abomination that is the playoffs. More manufactured drama. A league is a league and a cup is a cup and never should the Twain meet. Wembley final for finishing seventh in a lower league, but let's get misty eyed and lament the downgrading of the FA Cup. Can they not see the connection?
Our game is firmly in the hands of the TV companies, and the nouveau fans who see a team as an accessory rather than a passion have, and are happy to spend, the money on it.
I go to see my local club Shamrock Rovers, got a season ticket as a gift from my family this season .It cost €180 (£150 ish) for 18 home league games. Obviously lockdown has ruined that for now. It is earthy and raw and no one apologises if " I am offended by language I may have heard" The referees are poor enough but in an honest way. No VAR , no agents no sanitation.
The title of this thread is VAR so finish on it, it is the biggest con of all, the biggest manufactured drama of all . It isn't about justice on the pitch , it is about keeping the viewer in suspense about the package.

A11M11
Posts: 1344
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:07 am

Re: VAR

Post by A11M11 »

no sanitation.

Reminded me of the North Bank in the late 50's early 60's .

User avatar
Bradywasking
Posts: 6016
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:14 am

Re: VAR

Post by Bradywasking »

A11M11 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:33 am
no sanitation.

Reminded me of the North Bank in the late 50's early 60's .
:D I meant of the game, not the facilities

User avatar
SteveO 35
Posts: 17067
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 7:01 pm
Location: Abou's fan club

Re: VAR

Post by SteveO 35 »

Still happier with VAR than without it, and mainly because we're finally seeing penalties given against the likes of the Spuds and the Mancs and everyone is on a level playing field

I use Auba's goal at OT last season as a perfect example as why it needs to stay - absolute blatant cheating by the officials when Maguire had played him about 3 yards onside and he still tried to flag it. Personally I think VAR should be used further to demote officials found to consistently make awful mistakes - review the whole 90 minutes afterwards, because the bias towards 2 or 3 clubs has been allowed to continue unchallenged for too long.

Was a pleasure seeing Maureen throw his toys out of the pram last week. We had those sort of pens given against us without fucking VAR - Chambers at West Brom being the most blatant example of cheating I've seen in years. No hiding place for the cheats now!

User avatar
IW8Goalmachine
Posts: 2785
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:15 am
Location: Galway

Re: VAR

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:32 pm
Still happier with VAR than without it, and mainly because we're finally seeing penalties given against the likes of the Spuds and the Mancs and everyone is on a level playing field

I use Auba's goal at OT last season as a perfect example as why it needs to stay - absolute blatant cheating by the officials when Maguire had played him about 3 yards onside and he still tried to flag it. Personally I think VAR should be used further to demote officials found to consistently make awful mistakes - review the whole 90 minutes afterwards, because the bias towards 2 or 3 clubs has been allowed to continue unchallenged for too long.

Was a pleasure seeing Maureen throw his toys out of the pram last week. We had those sort of pens given against us without fucking VAR - Chambers at West Brom being the most blatant example of cheating I've seen in years. No hiding place for the cheats now!
Where was VAR for mane's elbow and Arnold's stamp?

User avatar
DB10GOONER
Posts: 48658
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland.
Contact:

Re: VAR

Post by DB10GOONER »

Also the fact there is one kind of VAR for the likes of us and very obviously another kind of VAR for the Murderers* makes a nonsense of the claims it has made the game fairer or more honest.

I honestly reckon if you ran the stats you'd find that for every instance where VAR has been right or righted a wrong there would be at least one maybe two or three instances where VAR has been wrong or been used to cheat for media darling teams.

Add to all that the fact it ruins the excitement of almost every goal and I'd give anything to get this rugby style shit out of the game.

User avatar
SteveO 35
Posts: 17067
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 7:01 pm
Location: Abou's fan club

Re: VAR

Post by SteveO 35 »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:21 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:32 pm
Still happier with VAR than without it, and mainly because we're finally seeing penalties given against the likes of the Spuds and the Mancs and everyone is on a level playing field

I use Auba's goal at OT last season as a perfect example as why it needs to stay - absolute blatant cheating by the officials when Maguire had played him about 3 yards onside and he still tried to flag it. Personally I think VAR should be used further to demote officials found to consistently make awful mistakes - review the whole 90 minutes afterwards, because the bias towards 2 or 3 clubs has been allowed to continue unchallenged for too long.

Was a pleasure seeing Maureen throw his toys out of the pram last week. We had those sort of pens given against us without fucking VAR - Chambers at West Brom being the most blatant example of cheating I've seen in years. No hiding place for the cheats now!
Where was VAR for mane's elbow and Arnold's stamp?
Not used in the League Cup till the semis. Proves my point - if it had been it could have been reviewed and send the dirty wanker off

Post Reply