The Arsenal captain 2019/20

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
OneBardGooner

Re: The Arsenal captain 2019/20

Post by OneBardGooner »

He shouldn't even be in the 1st squad never mind wearing the Captains armband!!

I mean

augie

Post by augie »

As much as wenger disrespected the captaincy and the importance of it, emery is absolutely taking the piss with this 5 captains bu.llshit :evil: I honestly dont mind the voting for captain shit, but I have serious fcuking issues with the theory that we need 5 captains. Name a captain and a vice captain, and if neither of them are available, THEN we will deal with the issue of picking a 3rd :roll:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:42 pm
As much as wenger disrespected the captaincy and the importance of it, emery is absolutely taking the piss with this 5 captains bu.llshit :evil: I honestly dont mind the voting for captain shit, but I have serious fcuking issues with the theory that we need 5 captains. Name a captain and a vice captain, and if neither of them are available, THEN we will deal with the issue of picking a 3rd :roll:
Tbh augiemeyang ( :wink: ) I fundamentally disagree with the voting for captain thing. I'm old school and apologise to no fucker for that. In my day at all levels of the game the captain more or less picked himself by being the natural leader of the group, the alpha that the other players respected and to a certain extent feared. The best captains in the history of the game have all been of that ilk. This modern snowflake fuckery of reducing the captaincy to a popularity contest is stomach turning. :oops: :roll:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:45 am
augie wrote:
Tbh augiemeyang ( :wink: ) I fundamentally disagree with the voting for captain thing. I'm old school and apologise to no fucker for that. In my day at all levels of the game the captain more or less picked himself by being the natural leader of the group, the alpha that the other players respected and to a certain extent feared. The best captains in the history of the game have all been of that ilk. This modern snowflake fuckery of reducing the captaincy to a popularity contest is stomach turning. :oops: :roll:
The captain is the manager's voice on the pitch. The manager has to see something in the individual that convinces him that the individual has what it takes to get his message across, to lift the players and to lay his body on the line. George Graham saw that in a very young Tony Adams. The captain must also have the trust of the fans. Did any Arsenal fan trust Henry, RVP or Fabregas when we all knew they would, and did, bail out when the chance came.. I won't put Gallas and trust in the same sentance. I won't put leadership and Mertazacker in the same sentance.
I know people will say Aubamayang gets "the Arsenal way" , but how long will he be here?
Of the current squad I can only see Holding as a potential proper Arsenal captain.
It is a massive role at Arsenal if only for thr tradition the Arsenal captaincy carries. We need one and a back up. Definitely I wouldn't put it to a dressing room vote. It is not a popularity contest.

Blim

Post by Blim »

Personally I think its a stupid idea, 5 captains.

Luiz and Xhaka, are the two leaders Emery speaks about, however, those pair are the most guilty of having brain farts and giving away goals this season because of their stupid errors. The captain should be the 1st name on a team sheet however, the only players guaranteed to start are Xhaka Auba, Guendozi, , Sokratis and Leno sad choice indeed. I would like to see Lacazette as captain but sadly for some reason he doesn't start every game. WE have a few potential Captains of the future like Bellerin Holding or Teirney but at the minute ????? who is going to do the business?

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:45 am
augie wrote:

I don't favour an election to choose the captain, but for me it is a much less issue than this bull.shit about 5 captains. The hope is that the players would vote for the player that they respect most within the dressing room - the fear is that it would be a populist vote where the player who is everybodys friend or is great banter in the dressing room, is the one they vote for :roll:
Like yourself I great up in an era of strong Arsenal captains like TA6. PV4 and to a lesser degree (cos of my age) Frank McLintock, so I too value the importance of captains and recognise the managers voice on the field and leadership requirements - the problem now (and we have been over this a zillion times) is that we simply do not have any player capable of filling that role

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Exclusive: Arsenal head coach Unai Emery has named Granit Xhaka as permanent captain. Consulted players before relaying final decision to squad this morning. Xhaka has led #AFC in 6/8 games this season + turned 27 today. Vice not finalised, hearing between Lacazette & Aubameyang

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

So, he leaves it for the players to vote to give it to Xhaxa?!

This team is going to give me a stroke.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:14 am
Exclusive: Arsenal head coach Unai Emery has named Granit Xhaka as permanent captain. Consulted players before relaying final decision to squad this morning. Xhaka has led #AFC in 6/8 games this season + turned 27 today. Vice not finalised, hearing between Lacazette & Aubameyang
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49850242

"Arsenal head coach Unai Emery has named midfielder Granit Xhaka as the club's new permanent captain, replacing Laurent Koscielny, who left for Bordeaux in the summer.
Emery told the squad of his decision on Friday, after consulting with players.
The Switzerland international, 27, has led the side in six of their eight games in all competitions this season.
Arsenal's next game is away to Manchester United in the Premier League on Monday.
Emery is still deliberating over a vice-captain, with forwards Alexandre Lacazette and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang understood to be the leading contenders."

I mean W. T. F !!!!

This I believe (and hope) will have major Negative Ramifications for and on Emery's future at Arsenal.

The World and his dog "Know" Xhakawanka is not only good enough to play for Arsenal, but is NOT Captain material..

Emery seems intent on comitting suicide as AFC Head Coach.

So fuckk Him.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:57 am
So, he leaves it for the players to vote to give it to Xhaxa?!

This team is going to give me a stroke.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Oooh! Missus! :D :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:01 pm
He shouldn't even be in the 1st squad never mind wearing the Captains armband!!

I mean

So once more I must say.. or not .. errr .. you know what I mean :? :oops: :cussing: :banghead:

Blim

Post by Blim »

FFS I don't believe it, captain feck-up my God is there no end to this sh1te, Xhaka should not be starting never mind captain, he is a fooking idiot who has sh1t for brains. So the players voted him captain, so Emery can say.......well they wanted him when he keeps fooking up and costing us points? :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

Blim

Post by Blim »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Lacazette I would have preferred to see the captain over the walking nightmare also known as Xhaka,

Was he given the armband because Is it hoped that it might wake him up during games and keep him focussed.
Is Xhaka a good role model? I don't think so
Is Xhaka able to control games? I don't think so he goes missing too much (thats if he is on the pitch)
WIll he be able to motivate players? again I don't think so. :cussing:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:02 am
mcdowell42 wrote:

I mean W. T. F !!!!

This I believe (and hope) will have major Negative Ramifications for and on Emery's future at Arsenal.

The World and his dog "Know" Xhakawanka is not only good enough to play for Arsenal, but is NOT Captain material..

Emery seems intent on comitting suicide as AFC Head Coach.

So fuckk Him.

This seems to hit the mark ^^^^^

The Arsenal Way

Post by The Arsenal Way »

Oh joy. Finally settled then.
Onwards and upwards.
Chuckle