The Arsenal captain 2019/20

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
mcdowell42

Re: The Arsenal captain 2019/20

Post by mcdowell42 »

Emery: I have spoken to Granit and he is no longer one of the captains in the group #Arsenal

Arsenal have stripped Granit Xhaka of the captaincy, manager Unai Emery has confirmed.

Emery told Xhaka this morning. https://t.co/QNprrSjaZM

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is now permanent Arsenal captain, Unai Emery confirms.

The manager adds: "The case is closed."

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:46 pm
Emery: I have spoken to Granit and he is no longer one of the captains in the group #Arsenal

Arsenal have stripped Granit Xhaka of the captaincy, manager Unai Emery has confirmed.

So unlike most of the comments on here assuming what he was going to do, he's actually showed more balls in responding to one incident than the previous yellow streaked windbag did in a decade

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Reckon thts Xhaka finished at the club as well, read rumours where he's looking to leave in January.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Emery offering little public reassurance to Xhaka that he will stay at the club in the long-term

"His future is coming for the next weeks or months, now we need to be focused for tomorrow"

No hint of a commitment beyond January https://t.co/clBV4cRsPh

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:54 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:

So unlike most of the comments on here assuming what he was going to do, he's actually showed more balls in responding to one incident than the previous yellow streaked windbag did in a decade

Took him over a week stevo to respond to the incident though

Midz

Post by Midz »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:57 pm
Reckon thts Xhaka finished at the club as well, read rumours where he's looking to leave in January.
Good. He needn't wait until January.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

This seems a balanced piece on the matter:
Analysis

Phil McNulty, BBC Sport's chief football reporter

Unai Emery's decision to strip Grant Xhaka of the Arsenal captaincy was the inevitable consequence of his angry exchange with supporters during the draw with Crystal Palace.

The whole affair has been a mess of Emery's making, starting with letting a blind vote among Arsenal's players elect a captain rather than being strong enough to make the decision himself, ending with a figure who has never been a fans' favourite and has had a chequered career at the club with the armband.

And while there is understandable sympathy for Xhaka because of abuse he has suffered on social media, it was impossible for him to continue as captain once he gestured and mouthed towards fans when he was substituted during the 2-2 draw.

Xhaka had not actually been subjected to any undue criticism from supporters during the game itself, a fact many have missed, with the frustrations inside the stadium only bubbling to the surface when he decided to make his slow-motion exit, almost goading and provoking fans before taking off his shirt and walking down the tunnel.

No matter what the human emotions are, it was an action that made this latest development predictable but also highlights Emery's own uneasy handling of the captaincy succession after Laurent Koscielny's departure.

It has turned up the spotlight on Emery and leaves a huge question mark over whether Xhaka has any sort of future at Arsenal.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Has he shown more balls or has he been told this is what’s happening? Has the man who puts Xhaka’s name on the team sheet first suddenly come down on him hard? Has the man who couldn’t decide on a captain suddenly become decisive?

I doubt it. Someone higher is getting fed up with Dick! :barscarf:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

TeeCee wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:32 pm
Has he shown more balls or has he been told this is what’s happening? Has the man who puts Xhaka’s name on the team sheet first suddenly come down on him hard? Has the man who couldn’t decide on a captain suddenly become decisive?

I doubt it. Someone higher is getting Dick! :barscarf:
:shock:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:04 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:54 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:

Took him over a week stevo to respond to the incident though
Perhaps so mate - but not sure that is such a bad thing. In most 'normal' businesses the senior management would weigh up the outcomes and discuss it as a group......much as though the Sun and TalkSport wouldn't find much appeal in someone giving it consideration

Whether you agree with the decision or the timescales taken, my point is that the old c.unt before him NEVER had the balls to make a call like this - not after a week, a month, a year, a decade

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Stevo can't argue with you there, but the manager should have decided who the captain was going to be not leave it to a players vote,it shows him to be weak.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:55 pm
Stevo can't argue with you there, but the manager should have decided who the captain was going to be not leave it to a players vote,it shows him to be weak.
Yep, I do agree with that and I've said that my biggest black mark against Dick has been playing this cock consistently, which he made a dozen times worse making him captain (however it was chosen). I can only hope that Guendouzi and Torreira are now given a consistent run as the two holders because that partnership has not been given the chance to work.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

The Mirror claim #Arsenal could look to sell Granit Xhaka in January after Unai Emery refused to say if he will ever play for the club again. https://t.co/s9VqcIxgXw

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Thank God he stripped him of the captaincy, should have been inevitable but I didn’t think it was.