Sheff Utd (A) PL 21/10 @ 20:00

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Clash

Re: Sheff Utd (A) PL 21/10 @ 20:00

Post by Clash »

clummo123 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:44 pm
The last time I went up to Brammall Lane we lost 1-0. Pissing rain, muddy pitch, Phil Jagielka having to go in goal for the last 30 minutes or so and played a blinder! Seem to recall Wenger and Warnock having a touchline barney too (but may be mistaken). Miserable night that was. :lol:
Remember that game well mate and fair play to you for going up there when it was live on TV. I recall the Jagielka thing differently though. Instead of him having a blinder, my memory is we didnt even have a shot on target for him to deal with.

I'm not meaning to sound pedantic for the sake of it but this has stuck in my mind because it was late 2006 and it was around that time that my doubts about where Wenger was taking us (apart from away from Highbury, the :censored: :banghead: ) were first starting to eat away at me.

That woeful performance at Sheff Utd coming just months after losing the likes of Bergkamp, Pires, Cole and Campbell was the beginning of the end of our golden era.

clummo123

Post by clummo123 »

I recall a save Jagielka made low down to his left to turn a shot away that any proper keeper would have been proud of. I agree that we didn't have too many efforts on goal but a young centre half playing as an emergency keeper is what I mean by playing a blinder.

Anyway whatever, it was still a miserable journey home. :lol:
Last edited by clummo123 on Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clash

Post by Clash »

Just found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdN-3x9OiZ0

He does make a save so you were closer to the truth than me clummo :barscarf:

Impressive away following and nice kit but other than that ... :roll:

GoonerN5

Post by GoonerN5 »

Tough place to go, plus its on a Monday night, they will be up for it, draw at best but wouldn't be surprised if we lost

Midz

Post by Midz »

Sheffield Utd are a newly promoted team.
We should be beating them by a big margin. Come the end of the season they'll most likely be relegation fodder.

We have a good attack force...and that's about it.

I'll be very disappointed if we don't win by at least 2 goals.

The Arsenal Way

Post by The Arsenal Way »

Why, after all this interlull bollix, can we not have a full PL fixture of 3pm Saturday?
Footy as we know it has died.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

And eaten it's own rotted entrails.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:43 am
It's eaten it's way through its own arsehole to get to those rotted entrails. :|

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:13 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:43 am
It's eaten it's way through its own arsehole to get to those rotted entrails. :|
True Dat. :( :( :(

augie

Post by augie »

The talk in the media today is that this is the first time since he joined the club that emery will have a fully fit squad at his disposal :shock: :shock:

I have always been of the opinion that sometimes having too many players is worse than too little - all things being equal then bellend would be our first choice right full (and I say that as a chambers supporter), but chambers has played really well and to drop him would be a travesty imo. As long as bellend was injured or not match fit, emery had a reason not to start him, but if chambers gets a skinning monday night everyone will question why he didnt start the faster bellend - likewise if he drops chambers and bellend has a mare, everyone will question why he didnt start the in form chambers. Oh the joys of being a maager :lol: :lol:

The bigger issue for me will be who he starts up top - there can be no denying that neither pepe nor nelson has impressed thus far, but if laca doesnt start then one of them starts on the right wing. If laca does start then auba will be pushed out to the winger (unless we go 2 up top) and seeing as he normally plays from the left, it will mean that saka will either get dropped or shafted to the right wing.

Like it or not, our midfield 3 will be xhaka, the douzi and ceballos

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

This has become (if it wasn't before today) a VERY Necessary game to Win, what with the scum scraping a home draw against the mighty Watford and vary & co now up to 3rd with the chavs close behind...we "Need" the 3 Points, also as Augie says Emery now has (with the exception of Lacazette) a Full Strength Squad to choose from...no doubt he'll still pick captain accident xhakawanka. :?

#COYG :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

augie wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:39 am
The talk in the media today is that this is the first time since he joined the club that emery will have a fully fit squad at his disposal :shock: :shock:

I have always been of the opinion that sometimes having too many players is worse than too little - all things being equal then bellend would be our first choice right full (and I say that as a chambers supporter), but chambers has played really well and to drop him would be a travesty imo. As long as bellend was injured or not match fit, emery had a reason not to start him, but if chambers gets a skinning monday night everyone will question why he didnt start the faster bellend - likewise if he drops chambers and bellend has a mare, everyone will question why he didnt start the in form chambers. Oh the joys of being a maager :lol: :lol:

The bigger issue for me will be who he starts up top - there can be no denying that neither pepe nor nelson has impressed thus far, but if laca doesnt start then one of them starts on the right wing. If laca does start then auba will be pushed out to the winger (unless we go 2 up top) and seeing as he normally plays from the left, it will mean that saka will either get dropped or shafted to the right wing.

Like it or not, our midfield 3 will be xhaka, the douzi and ceballos

Augie that is a midfield 2 not a 3

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

1-1. :barscarf: :barscarf:

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

The optimist in me says we’ll scrape a 1-2 win :barscarf:

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Laca should be fit enough to play the 2nd half hopefully.

I think 3-1 to us.

Unlike the other teams, weve had two days rest.

Though of course we play Thursday :banghead:

I take Augies point - front and back is a conundrum, but we are competing on four fronts.

So we may see a few players held back again tomorrow but play Thursday.

Its a must win - every Arsenal game should be. Thats how you win titles.

2-1 to us.