Sheff Utd (A) PL 21/10 @ 20:00

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Jock Gooner

Re: Sheff Utd (A) PL 21/10 @ 20:00

Post by Jock Gooner »

Eboue-Why? wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:24 am
On a train back from Sheffield. Naturally fucked off but what’s new? Just listened to his press conference. I understood about 10% of what he said so presumably the players must experience the same? I have little or no confidence in this manager. The team selection last night was baffling. If he persists with Xhaka over Torriera then he is self harming and no Tierney? At half time he was on the pitch, knocking balls around for fun, very pacey, a real threat but yep let’s play Kolasinac instead. The Centre Back pairing are poor, end of.
It costs a lot of time and money to follow your team and we have no entitlement to win every game but the least you can expect is that your manager sends out your best team in the right frame of mind. Neither happened last night.
Onwards....
I take my hat off to you mate if you are still bothering to travel to watch this shambles. I gave up away matches a number of years ago as the team seldom deserved the level of support received. If you're managing to catch 10% of what Dick is saying then you are doing better than me. Quite agree that he should be sending out his best team but I am still unconvinced that he knows what that is.

augie

Post by augie »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:14 pm
I have the strong feeling Emery is throwing all his eggs in the basket of winning the Europa League this season, because otherwise i can see no reason for him to be holding back from putting in Bellerin and Tierney. This smacks of pure stubborness in yet another Arsenal manager. We have nothing to loose from playing these players in the league its not really like we can be any worse away from home.

I've completely had it with UE, we got rid of one stubborn old fool only for him to be replaced by another egotistical megalomaniac. As i've said before my mate who supports PSG warned me of this, we didn't really see all the issues reported in the French press at the time but he had the exact same problem in his second season there and lets be honest other than his admittedly good record in the Europa at Sevilla his league record is nowhere near as good at any club.

I guess the warning signs were there, his own admittance of admiration of OGL, his statement about rather win 4-3 than 1-0 and the reported breakdown in the dressing room at PSG prior to his departure but i think the euphoria of getting rid of the other idiot may have blinded us to what was to come.

So who else is available, Allegri and not many others at the moment, unfortunately even if things end similarly this season i can't see upstairs having the balls not to extend his contract and the longer it goes on the deeper we sink into the post Wenger mire that the old *word censored* left us in. :rubchin:

I would dispute a few of those points tbh -

1. He stuck with chambers cos he was playing well there, so he was right to do so

2. Keeping back the players for Europa league is letting him off lightly imo - he picked the players he did cos he (stupidly) thinks that they are better than the one's on the bench, and having shit judgement is far far worse than having a stupid plan.

3. He failed at psg cos he wasn't able to manage Neymar and his ego - he wasn't the first with that problem, and nor will he be the last :roll:

People keep looking into his past as a reason or explanation as to why he is failing with us, and again I dont agree with that thought process - he is failing with us cos his judgement is shit and is resulting in him picking dogshite players like xhaka. He is failing cos yet again we have seen a foreign manager coming with a foreign gameplan, which simply is not workable in this league or with these players. The game is so much faster and the pressing is much more urgent in England than it is in other leagues, so defenders don't get time to prik around at the back trying to play out. His tactical gameplan or logic in the game away to the victims is among the worst I have ever seen (and I am including every level of football). I am as angry today as I was that day, on his decision to give their full backs the freedom of the wings to do as they wish, and that is the day he lost my support. His mistakes/problems at his previous clubs have fcuk all to do with his mis-management here, and tbh I really don't give a fcuk about them either. I care about what he is doing here, and what he is doing is not enough (or maybe it is too much) and as a result he needs to go - sadly it is a decision that I am expecting in the summer, when really it should be made asap

Forget about allegri - he is above our level and is probably expecting the manure job (although I still think that poxychino's will be their next manager). If you want to speculate/fantasise about who the next manager will be, then I think you need to lower your expectations to the likes of eddie howe

Midz

Post by Midz »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:31 pm
I think this just about sums it up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrbtBgc1SuU
Have to agree with him.

Midz

Post by Midz »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:56 pm
Eboue-Why? wrote:
On a train back from Sheffield. Naturally fucked off but what’s new? Just listened to his press conference. I understood about 10% of what he said so presumably the players must experience the same? I have little or no confidence in this manager. The team selection last night was baffling. If he persists with Xhaka over Torriera then he is self harming and no Tierney? At half time he was on the pitch, knocking balls around for fun, very pacey, a real threat but yep let’s play Kolasinac instead. The Centre Back pairing are poor, end of.
It costs a lot of time and money to follow your team and we have no entitlement to win every game but the least you can expect is that your manager sends out your best team in the right frame of mind. Neither happened last night.
Onwards....
I take my hat off to you mate if you are still bothering to travel to watch this shambles. I gave up away matches a number of years ago as the team seldom deserved the level of support received. If you're managing to catch 10% of what Dick is saying then you are doing better than me. Quite agree that he should be sending out his best team but I am still unconvinced that he knows what that is.

I said the other day that I admired his trying to conduct his interviews in English but after listening to that interview his teacher must have left or else he's simply getting worse.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Midz wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:22 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:56 pm
Eboue-Why? wrote:
Onwards....

I said the other day that I admired his trying to conduct his interviews in English but after listening to that interview his teacher must have left or else he's simply getting worse.

Maybe it's all part of some cunning strategy. He talks a load of gobbledegook when questioned about another shite performance but the interviewer is simply too polite to just say "Dick, what the fu.ck are you going on about" :rubchin: Crafty bast.ard :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

I get that everyone is entitled to their own gripes and complaints, but for me all this focus on his English and his ability to communicate, is a serious distraction to where the problems actually lie, and if anything it can be used as a defence of him.

A lack of English doesn't result in him picking xhaka every week. An inability to communicate isn't the reason why Torreira and Tierney aren't in the starting 11. Poor English wasn't the reason why we played with a narrow midfield 4 in scouseland (thus giving their full backs licence to do as they wanted) :roll:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

augie wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:25 pm
I get that everyone is entitled to their own gripes and complaints, but for me all this focus on his English and his ability to communicate, is a serious distraction to where the problems actually lie, and if anything it can be used as a defence of him.

A lack of English doesn't result in him picking xhaka every week. An inability to communicate isn't the reason why Torreira and Tierney aren't in the starting 11. Poor English wasn't the reason why we played with a narrow midfield 4 in scouseland (thus giving their full backs licence to do as they wanted) :roll:
exactly, just side tracking the real issues....

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:14 pm
I have the strong feeling Emery is throwing all his eggs in the basket of winning the Europa League this season, because otherwise i can see no reason for him to be holding back from putting in Bellerin and Tierney. This smacks of pure stubborness in yet another Arsenal manager. We have nothing to loose from playing these players in the league its not really like we can be any worse away from home.

I've completely had it with UE, we got rid of one stubborn old fool only for him to be replaced by another egotistical megalomaniac. As i've said before my mate who supports PSG warned me of this, we didn't really see all the issues reported in the French press at the time but he had the exact same problem in his second season there and lets be honest other than his admittedly good record in the Europa at Sevilla his league record is nowhere near as good at any club.

I guess the warning signs were there, his own admittance of admiration of OGL, his statement about rather win 4-3 than 1-0 and the reported breakdown in the dressing room at PSG prior to his departure but i think the euphoria of getting rid of the other idiot may have blinded us to what was to come.

So who else is available, Allegri and not many others at the moment, unfortunately even if things end similarly this season i can't see upstairs having the balls not to extend his contract and the longer it goes on the deeper we sink into the post Wenger mire that the old *word censored* left us in. :rubchin:
I'm starting to think a combination of Vieira as manager and Freddie assistant would instil some balls and courage into the team. And tell Xhaka to get the fuck out of the club.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Redarmy wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:29 pm
augie wrote:

Oh no, that's not side tracking any issues about the team, please don't get the two confused, I'm just taking the piss out of Dick's English. A bit childish but I don't give two fu.cks.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:37 pm
Redarmy wrote:
augie wrote:

Oh no, that's not side tracking any issues about the team, please don't get the two confused, I'm just taking the piss out of Dick's English. A bit childish but I don't give two fu.cks.
Que???

:D

Clash

Post by Clash »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Redarmy wrote:
augie wrote:

Emery’s English is awful and while this doesn’t make him a bad football manager, I actually think it is relevant because it shows that he is not a quick learner and not a natural at adapting to something new. Normally I would not care but we are seeing this replicated on the pitch where he hasn’t improved anything and is showing no signs of making progress anytime soon either.

augie

Post by augie »

Clash wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:00 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Redarmy wrote:
augie wrote:

Emery’s English is awful and while this doesn’t make him a bad football manager, I actually think it is relevant because it shows that he is not a quick learner and not a natural at adapting to something new. Normally I would not care but we are seeing this replicated on the pitch where he hasn’t improved anything and is showing no signs of making progress anytime soon either.

Not a quick learner ?? You don't have to be Einstein to recognise that xhaka is shit and is a massive liability in this team :roll: His intelligence isnt relevant (in my opinion), but his woeful judgement and assessment skills, is crippling this club

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Redarmy wrote:
augie wrote:

Fair enough mate, was not referring to any comment you made, TBH normally agree with your posts :D

I was referring to Emerys lack of any defensive organisation, his poor team selection and general lack of ideas and direction, i am now thinking he is out of his depth.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Redarmy wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:02 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Redarmy wrote:
augie wrote:

Fair enough mate, was not referring to any comment you made, TBH normally agree with your posts :D

I was referring to Emerys lack of any defensive organisation, his poor team selection and general lack of ideas and direction, i am now thinking he is out of his depth.

No problem, I wasn't being arsey, I just wanted to be clear that I was simply taking the piss about his English. I don't buy into any theory that his English could possibly be used as a defence of his ineptitude. I think that mostly the comments on here about his English have been of the piss take variety rather than anyone trying to invoke a defence for Dick. So just didn't want my comments to be taken out of context - that's all :lol:

Clash

Post by Clash »

augie wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:15 pm
Clash wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:00 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Redarmy wrote:
augie wrote:

Not a quick learner ?? You don't have to be Einstein to recognise that xhaka is shit and is a massive liability in this team :roll: His intelligence isnt relevant (in my opinion), but his woeful judgement and assessment skills, is crippling this club
Agree about the Xhaka thing of course. I’m not offering Dicks poor grasp of English as any kind of excuse for poor displays and nonsense team selections. I Just think it’s an additional reason to doubt his ability to adapt to a new league in a new country.

Benitez at Liverpool and Pochetino at Southampton have maybe shown struggling to speak English well is irrelevant. But when Emery STILL doesn’t seem to realise that playing slow, sideways football away at teams like Sheffield Utd is the wrong approach ... and when he STILL persists with this playing out from the back bullshit ... and when he STILL can’t speak the language ... then I worry about his overall ability to learn and improve and adjust to a different footballing culture.