Palace (H) 27/10 @ 16:30

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: Palace (H) 27/10 @ 16:30

Post by augie »

General wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:46 pm
We are a work in progress. People are seriously underestimating the challenges of clearing up the mess that built up over a decade under Wonga. Emery is not just lumbered with the task of making this team competitive, he has to modernise the entire coaching culture, integrate new players as well as embed those returning from injury. The services of some of these players he was denied for over half a season through major injuries. Those calling for Tierney to start might want to brood over the fact that he was down with cramp on Thursday in game that was no where near PL intensity. He’s played 2x90mins of football in 6months.

We lost momentum towards the end of last season through injuries, suspensions and a punishing fixture schedule. By the time we got to the final, we were playing a makeshift right back, A declining left back, Ramsey had pulled his hamstring, Mkhitaryan couldn’t travel, and the squad was on its last legs. Ozil also decided not to turn up and in the end it was Chelsea’s superior dynamism rather than quality that won the day.

If you were to evaluate the structure of this squad objectively you will see that even though we have a great attack, the midfield is quite defective and possibly one of the weakest in the top 6. This is not Emery’s fault. He’s forced to play Xhaka because there are no viable alternatives, although I think the decision to hand him the captaincy was shortsighted. Ceballos is lightweight, Torreira is fatigued and the rest need more experience. I’d imagine the midfield would be priority in January if not the summer because it’s undermining the team’s balance.

Emery’s remit is vastly different from Wenger’s. He is simply a coach who has been set a clear target to finish top 4. With 7months of the season left, the calls to sack him are premature and rather naive. This club is not going to throw £10-15m down the drain shifting Emery and his support staff with barely a third of the season gone. Look in our books, we don’t have that kind of money to spare. I fully expect him to be here until the end of the season. So save your emotion and get behind the team.

Stop FFS - torreira should be automatic first choice for that position/role, and if he wasn't available I would start chambers or luiz there. Failing all that and if we had a plague running through most of the playing staff, I would play the tea lady or kit man before I would ever let xhaka play for us again

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

General wrote:

We lost momentum towards the end of last season through injuries, suspensions and a punishing fixture schedule. By the time we got to the final, we were playing a makeshift right back, A declining left back, Ramsey had pulled his hamstring, Mkhitaryan couldn’t travel, and the squad was on its last legs. Ozil also decided not to turn up and in the end it was Chelsea’s superior dynamism rather than quality that won the day.
Dick made the wrong call in chasing after the mickey mouse cup instead of going all out to secure a top 4 finish in the league. We ended up going tits up against Everton, Palace, Wolves and Leicester and then drew with Brighton at home. With wiggy's wallet firmly in his pocket we badly needed to grab the cash that the CL brings not concentrate on the second rate ropey cup which is worthless in monetary terms. I would have a degree of respect for Dick if he had achieved top 4 and he would have made his own position more secure. Now after failing top 4 and getting humped by the chavs he just looks like he doesn't know what he's doing which is probably nearer the truth.

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

augie wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:56 am
General wrote:
We are a work in progress. People are seriously underestimating the challenges of clearing up the mess that built up over a decade under Wonga. Emery is not just lumbered with the task of making this team competitive, he has to modernise the entire coaching culture, integrate new players as well as embed those returning from injury. The services of some of these players he was denied for over half a season through major injuries. Those calling for Tierney to start might want to brood over the fact that he was down with cramp on Thursday in game that was no where near PL intensity. He’s played 2x90mins of football in 6months.

If you were to evaluate the structure of this squad objectively you will see that even though we have a great attack, the midfield is quite defective and possibly one of the weakest in the top 6. This is not Emery’s fault. He’s forced to play Xhaka because there are no viable alternatives, although I think the decision to hand him the captaincy was shortsighted. Ceballos is lightweight, Torreira is fatigued and the rest need more experience. I’d imagine the midfield would be priority in January if not the summer because it’s undermining the team’s balance.

Emery’s remit is vastly different from Wenger’s. He is simply a coach who has been set a clear target to finish top 4. With 7months of the season left, the calls to sack him are premature and rather naive. This club is not going to throw £10-15m down the drain shifting Emery and his support staff with barely a third of the season gone. Look in our books, we don’t have that kind of money to spare. I fully expect him to be here until the end of the season. So save your emotion and get behind the team.

Stop FFS - torreira should be automatic first choice for that position/role, and if he wasn't available I would start chambers or luiz there. Failing all that and if we had a plague running through most of the playing staff, I would play the tea lady or kit man before I would ever let xhaka play for us again

Xhaka lacks acceleration, positioning and he can't tackle, these are all qualities needed for a CDM , or at least you need two out of the three qualities

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

AkneyGooner wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:16 pm
augie wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:56 am
General wrote:

Xhaka lacks acceleration, positioning and he can't tackle, these are all qualities needed for a CDM , or at least you need two out of the three qualities
True and as a consequence of him being imobile and unable to tackle gives away countless fouls and free kicks

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

General wrote:

Good ebening Unai, nice to see you on the Gooner :)

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Arsenal XI: Leno; Chambers, Sokratis, Luiz, Tierney; Guendouzi, Xhaka, Ceballos; Pepe, Lacazette, Aubameyang

Subs: Martinez, Bellerin, Holding, Kolasinac, Torreira, Martinelli, Saka https://t.co/DMYMzVjVDY

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:30 pm
Arsenal XI: Leno; Chambers, Sokratis, Luiz, Tierney; Guendouzi, Xhaka, Ceballos; Pepe, Lacazette, Aubameyang

Subs: Martinez, Bellerin, Holding, Kolasinac, Torreira, Martinelli, Saka https://t.co/DMYMzVjVDY
Nice to see Pepe, Auba and Laca playing , midfield looks lightweight...still no Torreira

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Xhaka again......f*** me, you HAVE to go Dick! Words fail me.

At least Colossusnatch is not left back :barscarf:

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

We better score first .

Right decision to bring in KT, start laca and drop saka and willock.

To be fair, thats a really strong bench. Xhaka should be on it :x

augie

Post by augie »

Redarmy wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:34 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:

Nice to see Pepe, Auba and Laca playing , midfield looks lightweight...still no Torreira

Torreira is done as long as emery stays - when he does play now, emery has him as an attacking midfielder and that don't suit him, so he doesn't do great in those games and emery can say that he isn't doing enough to start :roll: Is emery pushing him further up the park to reduce the risk of the spotlight on his continual selection of xhaka ? Nothing would surprise me anymore tbh

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Redarmy wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:34 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:

I don't think you'd find many managers in any league at any level who would pick Xhaka in a side over Torreira. It's fucking baffling.

augie

Post by augie »

Zaha running at chambers is giving me nightmares already

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Jeeez, the stadium is half empty!!

This could go either way, there will be goals. Zaha will rip Chambers a new one and it is going to be frustrating!! :roll:

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

We should walk this but won't. We'll concede at least one so it depends on whether we manage to score more than we concede.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Some sort of incident outside the ground with a car nearly running into the fans may be causing issues with people getting in :rubchin: