Vitoria A Weds 6th Nov KO 1550

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
rodders999

Re: Vitoria A Weds 6th Nov KO 1550

Post by rodders999 »

The thing is SteveO the bad run we're on actually stretches back to the Palace home game at the back end of last season. Since that game the wheels have come completely off for Emery at the club. The run in was absolutely catastrophic as was the Europa League final.

After strengthening the squad during the summer I was willing to wipe the slate clean, go again and give him another chance to see if he could get a pick up in both results and performances but we've seen neither, arguably we're even worse.

I would say between 80-90% of the fan base is now of the opinion that the manager should go and there's just no way back from that.

Clash

Post by Clash »

augie wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:11 am
Ironic that even though I am watching games streamed now (thanks clummo) which I rarely did before, I am not enjoying watching any game and wish the season was over already :( The club is totally engulfed in negativity right now, and it is draining the life out of me - for years most of the fans wanted the senile French cock out but it seemed that the vast majority of players were behind him (life was too cushy for them :roll: ), whilst right now it seems that the fans, the players and the media all want emery gone and there is doom and gloom everywhere.

This game kinda typifies where we are - in itself drawing the game shouldn't be a big deal (seeing as everybody claims to have no interest in the europa league group games), but it is coming on the back of a poor run of results and performances, so it puts the spotlight on the game and gives fans just another reason to vent
That's an interesting point because sometimes I feel the players get away with too much and are allowed to hide behind a managers failings too easily.

It's not just us either, look at Moyes at Man United. Its easy to blame him for everything that went wrong but that team he took over were champions the season before. Whatever mistake he made, those players didn't even attempt to perform for him the way they did for Ferguson.

Emery clearly isnt getting a good enough response from our players - and maybe he is to blame for that - but are all the players really earning their huge salaries despite what the manager is asking of them? I dont think so.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Emery has been in charge for 75 games now.......just let that sink in for a moment, then think about this

- He has no idea what his best 11 is
- We have no identity, ie: are we a pressing team? Counter attacking? Pass out from the back? Play down the wings? Emery certainly doesn't know!
- Tactically he's all over the place with no continuity apart from a shit defence and boring football
- Team selection is constantly baffling
- Substitutions are often bizarre and inexplicable to most people
- £200m + spent

There is no defending this!!!! He is not capable.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Last season when he was making subs at half times think we were all delighted to see him doing that as opposed to the other guy making subs on the 70th mark, but now in hindsight it was the fact he wasn't starting the right team in the 1st place, the guy is hopelessly out of his depth and in all honesty who can see him getting things right now. The argument we dont want to be a club that keeps changing managers is a funny one considering we've only had 2 managers in the last 21/22 yrs :lol:

Clash

Post by Clash »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:52 am
Last season when he was making subs at half times think we were all delighted to see him doing that as opposed to the other guy making subs on the 70th mark, but now in hindsight it was the fact he wasn't starting the right team in the 1st place, the guy is hopelessly out of his depth and in all honesty who can see him getting things right now. The argument we dont want to be a club that keeps changing managers is a funny one considering we've only had 2 managers in the last 21/22 yrs :lol:
Yeah it seems that way now mate :D

Last season, my naivety allowed me to think Emery was taking the first half to suss out opponents he'd never seen before and was then making quick and necessary changes at half time to win games. And because of this I thought we would be in for a strong second half of the season where he already knew what he was facing and was able to set us up correctly from the start. To say I was wrong is something of an understatement :oops: .

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

rodders999 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:23 am
The thing is SteveO the bad run we're on actually stretches back to the Palace home game at the back end of last season. Since that game the wheels have come completely off for Emery at the club. The run in was absolutely catastrophic as was the Europa League final.

After strengthening the squad during the summer I was willing to wipe the slate clean, go again and give him another chance to see if he could get a pick up in both results and performances but we've seen neither, arguably we're even worse.

I would say between 80-90% of the fan base is now of the opinion that the manager should go and there's just no way back from that.
the thing is though in 17 matches this season we have only lost twice (plus 1 more on penalties).
it all depends on whether you consider this a bad run or not. I reckon if we win on Saturday then we will be back on track.

clummo123

Post by clummo123 »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:27 pm
rodders999 wrote:

the thing is though in 17 matches this season we have only lost twice (plus 1 more on penalties).
it all depends on whether you consider this a bad run or not. I reckon if we win on Saturday then we will be back on track.
"Lies, damned lies, and statistics"

Only 2 defeats doesn't really tell the complete story though does it. Could just as easily been 12 or 13 defeats!

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Gunner Rob wrote:
rodders999 wrote:

The trouble with arguments like that Rob, is that you venture into the same territory that allowed the French fraud to keep his position for so long. Remember all the inane and confected facts and stats that he used to try to convince everyone that we were actually a huge success....like the calendar year trophy ?!! :lol:

There are times when you have to look beyond results and league placings and honestly assess the direction the team is moving in. I’ll risk repeating what I’ve said more than once on here.....had you told me 18 months ago where we’d finish last season, that we’d get to the EL final, where we’d be in the league now and even shown me the individual results, I’d probably have accepted them as about right, considering the mess the Club had been left in.

However, it’s abundantly clear that we’re heading in the wrong direction, that there’s no clear plan, or structure offering hope on the horizon and that Emery, sadly, is desperately lost. Currently, I don’t think anyone can see a single reason for optimism. Even if we were to get a 0-5 away win on Saturday (we won’t of course), it will take weeks of good performances (regardless of results) to prove that the team is on the right track.

Watch the team playing, rather than analysing the results and it will tell you all you need to know. I do, however, admire your optimism and your loyalty to the manager.

Clash

Post by Clash »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:49 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:42 pm
Just saw this on twatter -

Arsenal have now faced 60 shots this Europa League season, fewer only than FC Astana, FK Krasnodar and Dudelange.

Mother of fuck :shock:
Yeah, but just imagine how they feel....faced more shots than the Arsenal....what a fucking embarrassment !

:lol:
haha true ... but at least there is someone worse Retro :lol:

Reminds me of Basil Fawlty's classic line when told there was always someone worse off than himself:
''Is there? Well, I'd like to meet him, I could do with a laugh'' :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:19 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
rodders999 wrote:

The trouble with arguments like that Rob, is that you venture into the same territory that allowed the French fraud to keep his position for so long. Remember all the inane and confected facts and stats that he used to try to convince everyone that we were actually a huge success....like the calendar year trophy ?!! :lol:

There are times when you have to look beyond results and league placings and honestly assess the direction the team is moving in. I’ll risk repeating what I’ve said more than once on here.....had you told me 18 months ago where we’d finish last season, that we’d get to the EL final, where we’d be in the league now and even shown me the individual results, I’d probably have accepted them as about right, considering the mess the Club had been left in.

However, it’s abundantly clear that we’re heading in the wrong direction, that there’s no clear plan, or structure offering hope on the horizon and that Emery, sadly, is desperately lost. Currently, I don’t think anyone can see a single reason for optimism. Even if we were to get a 0-5 away win on Saturday (we won’t of course), it will take weeks of good performances (regardless of results) to prove that the team is on the right track.

Watch the team playing, rather than analysing the results and it will tell you all you need to know. I do, however, admire your optimism and your loyalty to the manager.

Whilst I just question his sanity :wink: :lol: :lol:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:52 am
Yes, there were several games when he basically subbed on players who are starting eleven which gave the false impression of decision and insight. He was just pulling a fast one.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Its been ingrained into the club that the players are not allowed to shoot from outside the box. If you can't pass it through take a shot at goal. It is that bloody simple. This is wenger circa 2013. It's why podolski got benched. So bloody annoying.
FFS every fucker knows David Luiz is the best CB to have playing in a back 3. Conte knew this and won the league. At least if you're going to try this tactic, play the players that suit the formation.

We need to stop with this rotation in Europa League our first team need to build momentum and confidence. Anyone remember when it was the pinnacle of a players club career to play in European competition?

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

augie wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:50 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:19 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
rodders999 wrote:

Whilst I just question his sanity :wink: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol:

I was trying to be kind. :lol: :wink:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Clash wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:49 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
rodders999 wrote:

Arsenal have now faced 60 shots this Europa League season, fewer only than FC Astana, FK Krasnodar and Dudelange.

Yeah, but just imagine how they feel....faced more shots than the Arsenal....what a fucking embarrassment !

Reminds me of Basil Fawlty's classic line when told there was always someone worse off than himself:

:lol: :lol: What a fantastic programme that was. Gave us all so many classic comedy lines.

Maybe I'm just a miserable old fucker (surely not :rubchin: :lol: ), but the old "there's always someone worse off" line can be fucking irritating. You're going through some real muck and shit and some self-righteous arse reminds you that "Well, there's always someone worse off"....in fact my missus does it.

I usually say, "Really ? You think that helps ? Imagine you're in hospital and the doctor says that they've got to take your leg off, but never mind, because that bloke in the corner has got to have both of his off. Oh well Doc, that's ok then, go and get us a couple of beers and we'll celebrate !"

Fuck me :roll: .

CloakedGooner

Post by CloakedGooner »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:07 pm
Clash wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:49 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
rodders999 wrote:

:lol: :lol: What a fantastic programme that was. Gave us all so many classic comedy lines.

Maybe I'm just a miserable old fucker (surely not :rubchin: :lol: ), but the old "there's always someone worse off" line can be fucking irritating. You're going through some real muck and shit and some self-righteous arse reminds you that "Well, there's always someone worse off"....in fact my missus does it.

I usually say, "Really ? You think that helps ? Imagine you're in hospital and the doctor says that they've got to take your leg off, but never mind, because that bloke in the corner has got to have both of his off. Oh well Doc, that's ok then, go and get us a couple of beers and we'll celebrate !"

Fuck me :roll: .
100% this ^^^

Well said my friend 8)