The Managers Sack Race (merged thread)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Which manager shall be sacked next?

Dick
39%
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
11%
Ralph Hassehutti
14%
Marco Silva
25%
Manuel Pellegrini
No votes
Mauricio Pochettino
7%
Quique Sanchez Flores
4%
Steve Bruce
No votes
Roy Hodgson
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 28

Ray C

Re: Poch Gone

Post by Ray C »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:07 am
Pochettino to Arsenal must be being considered ?

He is surely everything our owner is looking for:

1. doesn't spend much
2. capable of getting top 4
3. team plays decent football

I'm a bit torn to be honest, but lets face it how funny would it be if he came here and started winning trophies when he won fuck all down the road :D
Not with our players he wouldn't. Just nice to see Scum in a mess. :barscarf: :barscarf:

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

I am on record as saying that Arsenal should act quickly and decisively over replacing Emery, because to leave it longer would mean almost certainly missing out on Champions' League qualification again, which in turn would mean that we will be unable to attract the calibre of manager or player we need to take us back to the very top. So to criticise Tottenham for doing what we should have done during the international break, no doubt using the same logic, would be hypocritical and childishly one-eyed.

The next bit is of course more controversial. Is Mourinho the right choice? Well, as a long-term appointment: clearly the answer would be no. He has a short attention span, he is impatient, either he or his employers tend not to invest time in one another. But if the priority is short-term impact, and the club are using the time to identify a long-term successor to take over in the summer, then there is a case for appointing him.

I accept that there is also a strong case against, but if that case is all about his brand of "negative football" then I am afraid our fanbase have been brainwashed by the years of Wengerball. The Arsenal I recognise was renowned for a pragmatic approach to securing success from Henry Norris's dubious method of securing us promotion at Tottenham's expense, to Chapman's introduction of the third back in the 1930s, to the first great double-winning team which was founded on defensive solidity not (Charlie George aside) on flair, to the George Graham era where the offside trap and "1-0 to the Arsenal" were our badges of honour. If you don't think someone like Mourinho could make a short-term impact which might get us to a position where we are able to recruit a better manager than we now have then that's fair enough, but don't peddle the tosh that his style of football is not something Arsenal should inflict on its modern, discerning customer-base. That's just plain daft and typical of the breed of supporter who doesn't recognise that Arsenal existed before Wenger.

At the end of the day, we should all resist the knee-jerk response to the particular person they have appointed and reserve judgement on their widsom until we see how it pans out. They do say fortune favours the brave, and some might argue it is a braver decision to stick by Dick than to twist mid-season. I don't think the club's bean counters would see it that way!
Last edited by Bob Bayliss on Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Arsenal Way

Post by The Arsenal Way »

3.5 year contract @ 15 million quid a year :shock: :lol:
Should rename this thread 'lets all laugh at sp*rs'
Maureen is quoted as once saying, ' I could never manage Tittiham as I love Chavski fans too much'
I'm gonna love watching the slow implosion of that shitty club.
Fat tongue will probably be sold to fund the spending for the short term turnaround of fortunes, then the shit will start to hit the fan.
Thanks Levy and Maureen, you've made my day.
:barscarf:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

The Arsenal Way wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:57 am
Maureen is quoted as once saying, ' I could never manage Tittiham as I love Chavski fans too much'
Fat tongue will probably be sold to fund the spending for the short term turnaround of fortunes, then the shit will start to hit the fan.
or on the other hand Spurs have just hired a proven winner, they will also start to generate a lot more money with that new stadium of theirs.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:27 am
The Arsenal Way wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:57 am
or on the other hand Spurs have just hired a proven winner, they will also start to generate a lot more money with that new stadium of theirs.
Is he still a winner though? He was given free rein to spend an absolute fortune at both Chelski and Manure, within 2 years he lost both dressing rooms.

He won't be allowed to do the same at Spurs. I expect him to be found out, Spurs are as far away from winning the league title as we are. Levy also won't put up with the baggage that comes with Maureen, a bad run of results and he will be fired just like Poch no doubt.

Let's be quite honest about this, Maureen is like Wenger he is past his best and light-years behind both Klopp and Pep in both footballing ideologies and tactics.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

oaodan wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:17 am
Pochetino should be considered,people saying he hasn't won trophies also said the same about Klopp and losing finals. Well that's gonna look a lot different very soon. Have a rotten feeling Mourinho and Spurs will work out. He has a fine squad to work with and lots of decent defenders to work with. He will probably get rid of Erikson,Ali and a few more but squad doesn't need a lot of work to be top 3.They will shit all over our circus unless big changes made.
Pochetino wouldn't be much of an upgrade on Emery IMO. We need to stop pissing around and get in a proven manager. Allegri ticks all the boxes.

augie

Post by augie »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:21 am
I am on record as saying that Arsenal should act quickly and decisively over replacing Emery, because to leave it longer would mean almost certainly missing out on Champions' League qualification again, which in turn would mean that we will be unable to attract the calibre of manager or player we need to take us back to the very top. So to criticise Tottenham for doing what we should have done during the international break, no doubt using the same logic, would be hypocritical and childishly one-eyed.

The next bit is of course more controversial. Is Mourinho the right choice? Well, as a long-term appointment: clearly the answer would be no. He has a short attention span, he is impatient, either he or his employers tend not to invest time in one another. But if the priority is short-term impact, and the club are using the time to identify a long-term successor to take over in the summer, then there is a case for appointing him.

I accept that there is also a strong case against, but if that case is all about his brand of "negative football" then I am afraid our fanbase have been brainwashed by the years of Wengerball. The Arsenal I recognise was renowned for a pragmatic approach to securing success from Henry Norris's dubious method of securing us promotion at Tottenham's expense, to Chapman's introduction of the third back in the 1930s, to the first great double-winning team which was founded on defensive solidity not (Charlie George aside) on flair, to the George Graham era where the offside trap and "1-0 to the Arsenal" were our badges of honour. If you don't think someone like Mourinho could make a short-term impact which might get us to a position where we are able to recruit a better manager than we now have then that's fair enough, but don't peddle the tosh that his style of football is not something Arsenal should inflict on its modern, discerning customer-base. That's just plain daft and typical of the breed of supporter who doesn't recognise that Arsenal existed before Wenger.

At the end of the day, we should all resist the knee-jerk response to the particular person they have appointed and reserve judgement on their widsom until we see how it pans out. They do say fortune favours the brave, and some might argue it is a braver decision to stick by Dick than to twist mid-season. I don't think the club's bean counters would see it that way!

I absolutely agree with the highlighted part - I used to love the old pragmatic/blood and thunder/thou shalt not pass ethos that GG brought back to the club in his tenure. We knew back then that there were other teams that might have had better players than us, but we still had a great chance of beating them cos we had no fear of anyone, and we had a determination and gameplan to counter the best. The "new age" Gooners wan.ked themselves silly on the beautiful football we played under le cock, and while it was nice to see. for me it was only the bonus on top of winning and not the primary aim.

Where I do disagree with you is your suggestion that the scum appointing moaninho might be a good move - these deluded fuckwits have always believed in beautiful football being their trademark and entitlement, and they sure as shit wont get that under this arrogant c.unt. Maybe they will hold fire on their condemnation for a short while if they think that it will bring success, but as soon as it becomes evident that it wont do that, they will turn very quickly and start citing "spurs tradition" of beautiful football :roll:
I would also ask where they are gonna get the money to replace at least 3 of their back 4 (alderweld and vertonghon are too old but still the best they have), and how they are gonna replace the guile of eriksson. A midfield containing winks, dier, deli ali etc wont cut it at the top level, and for me that team is much weaker than what we have

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

augie wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:14 am
Bob Bayliss wrote:

I absolutely agree with the highlighted part - I used to love the old pragmatic/blood and thunder/thou shalt not pass ethos that GG brought back to the club in his tenure. We knew back then that there were other teams that might have had better players than us, but we still had a great chance of beating them cos we had no fear of anyone, and we had a determination and gameplan to counter the best. The "new age" Gooners wan.ked themselves silly on the beautiful football we played under le cock, and while it was nice to see. for me it was only the bonus on top of winning and not the primary aim.

Where I do disagree with you is your suggestion that the scum appointing moaninho might be a good move - these deluded fuckwits have always believed in beautiful football being their trademark and entitlement, and they sure as shit wont get that under this arrogant c.unt. Maybe they will hold fire on their condemnation for a short while if they think that it will bring success, but as soon as it becomes evident that it wont do that, they will turn very quickly and start citing "spurs tradition" of beautiful football :roll:
I would also ask where they are gonna get the money to replace at least 3 of their back 4 (alderweld and vertonghon are too old but still the best they have), and how they are gonna replace the guile of eriksson. A midfield containing winks, dier, deli ali etc wont cut it at the top level, and for me that team is much weaker than what we have
I don't think age is an issue with Spurs' defence. Alderwireld is just 30 and Vertonghen 32: neither is old for a centre-back. Little more than a year ago they were a core part of a Belgian defence which reached the world cup semi-final. They are simply underperforming. Right-back is a glaring problem. I wouldn't disagree with you that their midfield lacks quality in depth, though I don't agree ours is currently better than their first choice of Ndombele, Erikson, Alli and Son. I expect he has been promised money to spend in January, and will prioritise a right-back and another striker.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

As for Mourinho doing damage to their team spirit Vertonghen and Erickson have done that already.
The new manager bounce might improve their position by Christmas but turd polishing is hard in the long term just ask Emery. Like us they need a squad overhaul and who they sell to finance it will be interesting.
Poch to Madrid and taking Kane is a fair shout imo

augie

Post by augie »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:53 am
augie wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:14 am
Bob Bayliss wrote:

I don't think age is an issue with Spurs' defence. Alderwireld is just 30 and Vertonghen 32: neither is old for a centre-back. Little more than a year ago they were a core part of a Belgian defence which reached the world cup semi-final. They are simply underperforming. Right-back is a glaring problem. I wouldn't disagree with you that their midfield lacks quality in depth, though I don't agree ours is currently better than their first choice of Ndombele, Erikson, Alli and Son. I expect he has been promised money to spend in January, and will prioritise a right-back and another striker.

Eriksson AND alderweld will be out the door in the summer. Vertonghon is almost 33 and is a sub behind davison sanchez - that tells us how far he has dropped. At left back you have rose (who they tried desperately to get shot of but no-one wanted him) or davies (a play I like but has zero pace). This is not the type of defensive foundation that moaninho likes to work with

augie

Post by augie »

A11M11 wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:59 am
As for Mourinho doing damage to their team spirit Vertonghen and Erickson have done that already.
The new manager bounce might improve their position by Christmas but turd polishing is hard in the long term just ask Emery. Like us they need a squad overhaul and who they sell to finance it will be interesting.
Poch to Madrid and taking Kane is a fair shout imo

A bit harsh blaming Eriksson for vertonghen banging his wife :shock: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bob Bayliss wrote:

I think you missed the point on the bit in red Bob. I don't think anyone on here is concerned about his negative football. It's more a case of highlighting one area where he will quickly fall out with their fans given that the deluded twats only response to our decades and decades of dominance was always "at least we play beautiful football". :lol:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Pochetino categorically stated he will NOT manage Arsenal

Has this Emery has "next six games and he will be sacked" ever been verified, or is just false news, most likely he will see the season out

Would like to see Allegri take the job, but likely he will go to Man Utd

Midz

Post by Midz »

sk-gtfo wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:22 pm
clockender1 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:57 pm

Yep, a 2nd place and two 3rds in five years is not shoddy.

But they had to sack him for financial reasons, theyve over leveraged themselves with the stadium.

If they dont make the CL this year they are fucked. They need the money to pay the debt.
I hope that is true but you have to consider Joe 'tax dodger' Lewis is more of a fan than the Krankies's will ever be, he could just bail them out in someway yet.

I am glad this has happened though because if it goes tits up great, if they manage to get back above us our board are going to look like even bigger c*nts than they already do and hopefully our fans will riot (yeah right).

Also puts pressure on our board to act... :banghead:
That will be very difficult. :D

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

The fact that the scum have replaced podgy poch with maureen the poison one gives me great hope. :barscarf: