Who would you like to see as next manager POLL

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Who would you like to see as next manager

Poll ended at Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:04 pm

Arteta
No votes
Allegri
50%
Bergkamp
3%
Enrique
No votes
Freddie
3%
Mourinho
9%
Vieira
12%
Rodgers
15%
Santo
3%
Ten Hag
6%

Total votes: 34

SteveO 35

Re: Who would you like to see as next manager POLL

Post by SteveO 35 »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:25 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:15 pm
Not a shred of improvement in the last 2 games since Emery was sacked and nor will there be until we hire a manager who looks at the game totally differently, and instils a whole new defence first mentality. Ljungberg won't do it, Arteta won't do it, questionable if Rodgers will do it.......definite that Allegri will do it

Only one man now for me

If we can't afford him then you might as well give Freddie the job as opposed to any of the others who will only try playing Wengerball with the same stiffs we've got now
This, this, this.... nearly every manager out there with a few exceptions try to play some variation of Wenger ball where the intent is to out score the opposition. Very few of them are actually capable of coaching their teams to do it but it is so common these days.

We need a Manager/Coach with a different view of how to play football and a different set of players to be able to play it.
I said to my oldest lad that this Arsenal team right now reminds me of the one I first started supporting in the late 70s through to the mid 80s - a collection of individuals but lacking in any sort of ruthless, win at all costs mentality and defensively and mentally weak. There were plenty of talents over that ten year period or so - Brady, Petrovic, Rix, Woodcock, Nicholas, to name but a few. But the team never got close to competing for the title and were a UEFA Cup team at best (until the vile, scummy Mickeys took away that pleasure too)

One of my favourite football books was Kenny Sansom's insight into the 1986/87 season and in particular how GG changed the entire focus of the team. One of his opening addresses to the team supposedly was "You are good players - why haven't you won anything?" and questioned their mentality. What then followed was a series of big name charlies flushed out of the door - Rix, Nicholas etc - and a core built around young players from the academy and a set of tough as old boots defenders. In that book it describes how GG almost drove them crazy with relentless drills of six forwards attacking four defenders, and stopping them every time they were out of shape until such point as it became second nature

I feel that is what is needed now. Pochettino won't do it either. From the list of credible candidates only Allegri would introduce such a radical change as the one GG did. If we can't afford him then much to the disgust of the trendybeards, I would opt for Sean Dyche because he is the cheaper version and would set about getting rid of the non-team players.

oaodan

Post by oaodan »

Think u way out comparing now with late 70s/80s. The young O Leary was miles ahead of the shit now. O'Leary would keep out Brighton and Norwich on his own. Jennings,Sansom,Rice, Talbot,etc. Even Brady had bite and a nasty streak when needed. Stapleton could throw lads around.At least back then,no matter how bad things got, we had some players u could be proud of.The squad now is unbelievably bad, and weak mentally.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

oaodan wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:04 pm
Think u way out comparing now with late 70s/80s. The young O Leary was miles ahead of the shit now. O'Leary would keep out Brighton and Norwich on his own. Jennings,Sansom,Rice, Talbot,etc. Even Brady had bite and a nasty streak when needed. Stapleton could throw lads around.At least back then,no matter how bad things got, we had some players u could be proud of.The squad now is unbelievably bad, and weak mentally.
There are some differences but the overall performance of the team is similar and what you've proved from your comments is that there were talents in those teams who consistently underachieved which is my main point

Our team now consists of established international players - at the start of the season people were bragging how Aubameyang, Lacazette and Pepe (supported by Ozil) would rival just about any forward line in the land, and here we are mid-table. Luiz, Mustafi, Kolasinac and Leno are established international players, as is Torreira and yet the defensive shape of the side is woeful

The team needs a manager to instil a new discipline. Graham got rid of supposedly superior players like Viv Anderson and Kenny Sansom for the likes of Dixon and Winterburn. Fit on or f+++ off was the message and that is needed again now

A losers mentality needs to be ironed out by a proper manager

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

God help me but after the last run of games I'm actually thinking that maybe we need Sam Allardyce. I hate the bloke with a passion but at least he can coach a defence.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:22 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:56 pm
If you're not a fan of Brenda then don't read this

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... r-history/

He has previous at Watford, Swansea and Celtic for giving it the big 'un about how happy he is at the club before fu.cking off :lol:
Nothing new there mate he's notorious for that shit. :wink:

Anyway kids, for me we may as well appoint Martin Fucking O'Neil or David Fucking Moyes if we are thinking of appointing "big fish in a small pond" Brenda Fucking Rogers. The ultimate big man for the small occasion. Fuck no. :censored:
Is it because he's from the other side :lol:

He's way better than those clowns you've mentioned mate, in fairness we can't aim much higher such is our stock at present :?

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:08 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:

He has previous at Watford, Swansea and Celtic for giving it the big 'un about how happy he is at the club before fu.cking off :lol:

Anyway kids, for me we may as well appoint Martin Fucking O'Neil or David Fucking Moyes if we are thinking of appointing "big fish in a small pond" Brenda Fucking Rogers. The ultimate big man for the small occasion. Fuck no. :censored:

He's way better than those clowns you've mentioned mate, in fairness we can't aim much higher such is our stock at present :?
Apparently he has signed a new deal with Leicester, so got himself a decent pay rise and job security on the back of it.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Bradywasking wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:23 am
Tin hat on here but even til the end of the season I would take Rafa Benitez. Boring maybe but he is an organiser and is thick skinned.
Read up on Benitez today , it seems it would cost a fortune to buy out his contract with the Chinese club he manages..So that rules him out .

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

I reckon the boards should go balls out for GOD, we need a bloody miracle as it is :roll:
Last edited by GoonerMuzz on Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Arsenal are promising one big money defensive addition in January to every manager they interview.

Dayot Upamecano and Samuel Umtiti were the targets in summer. Ruben Dias is thought to be on the radar now too. Kalidou Koulibaly was wanted, but deemed *far* too expensive. #AFC

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

It is inderstood that Mikel Arteta would find the Arsenal job too good an opportunity to resist. He also hs support in the boardroom. [@SamiMokbel81_DM]

Topside Northbank

Post by Topside Northbank »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:10 am
It is inderstood that Mikel Arteta would find the Arsenal job too good an opportunity to resist. He also hs support in the boardroom. [@SamiMokbel81_DM]
Any manager coming in be it Arteta or Allegri or any of the other 6-8 names mentioned should when interviewed also be asking for 100m to spend on transfers and by that two Cb's.

Our starting back 4 the other night is barring Watford the worst in the division Kolasinac,Luiz,Sokratis,Bellerin.

It doesn't matter if you had Klopp or a prime Clough in charge they couldn't do anything to improve us with such a poor back four.

augie

Post by augie »

Topside Northbank wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:51 am
mcdowell42 wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:10 am
Any manager coming in be it Arteta or Allegri or any of the other 6-8 names mentioned should when interviewed also be asking for 100m to spend on transfers and by that two Cb's.

Our starting back 4 the other night is barring Watford the worst in the division Kolasinac,Luiz,Sokratis,Bellerin.

It doesn't matter if you had Klopp or a prime Clough in charge they couldn't do anything to improve us with such a poor back four.

As a team we have very, very poor defenders and no-one can disagree with that, BUT if a manager like allegri or benitez came in, they would be able to coach those defenders and organize the team structure better so that we would be harder to break down. Arseholes like that clown ty can spout shit about how arteta would come in and improve the type of football we are offering up, but imo any manager offering to improve the quality of football we play should be stricken from the list of candidates on the spot. We need a practical manager that can come in and recognize our biggest area of weakness (defense) and prioritise that - the last thing we need is some principled c.unt managing us who believes that football needs to be played a certain way. We should never forget that we play for the fans and for the club - I don't give a flying fcuk if our style of football is not enticing to the sky sports audience, cos if it improves us and makes us successful again, then that is all that matters

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

GG didn't so much coach the defense as opposed to tell them exactly what he wanted and drill it into them over and over and over again, in positioning, tactics and awareness. (I know it's a subtle difference in definition but it is there)

That is exactly what these idiots need. Unfortunately from a coaching perspective I've found that the old adage 'you cant teach an old dog new tricks' is true, at the least Mustafi, Papa, Luiz and probably Bellerin are deficient in a certain level of defensive technical skill and wont change or improve, the pull backs, stupid tackles, dangling legs out, barging into people are so much part of their game and have been for years you might as well write them of and concentrate on the younger players.

The other deficiency we've had probably since Spunky or the Mad German is a keeper who shouts at those in front of them to organise them, and a leader in the defense to listen and keep them organised and stop them fucking off all over the place.

I'm sick of all the fancy arsed tippy tappy shite we play these days which doesnt even look pretty and produces nothing, I watched some of the 'boring' teams at the world cup and last Euros such as Russia who defended excellently and it worked for them, yes most people find it boring but if it works and wins the points I'm not bothered, and in fact it would piss off other fans and pundits so much I'd probably enjoy it :rubchin:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

StuartL wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:12 pm
LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:08 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:

Apparently he has signed a new deal with Leicester, so got himself a decent pay rise and job security on the back of it.
And that's not the first time that has happened when Arsenal have (supposedly) shown interest in another manager (or player)

Arsenal the Soft Touch that just Keeps Giving Whilst Failing and Falling Apart. :(

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Arteta is now viewed as the leading candidate if Arsenal look to make an appointment during the season. [@Matt_Law_DT]