Who would you like to see as next manager POLL

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Who would you like to see as next manager

Poll ended at Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:04 pm

Arteta
No votes
Allegri
50%
Bergkamp
3%
Enrique
No votes
Freddie
3%
Mourinho
9%
Vieira
12%
Rodgers
15%
Santo
3%
Ten Hag
6%

Total votes: 34

Jock Gooner

Re: Who would you like to see as next manager POLL

Post by Jock Gooner »

SSN reporting we are in talks with city over availibility of Arteta. Here we go :shock:

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

I am against the Arteta appointment. We're not a tester club, we cannot afford to get the next appointment wrong as we are in free fall. I think the whole idea that we are so desperate to appoint a man who hasn't managed a club before is laughable, but given our current state, it is terrifying.

The whole clandestine meeting at his house last night just SCREAMS desperation.

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:45 pm
SydneyGooner wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:02 pm
augie wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:57 am
Still 100% against arteta getting the job cos I don't think this is the job for a novice manager, but if he joins I suppose we may get behind him
That's how I feel about it too. It is what it is so I'm going get behind him and give him the time he needs to turn us around.

From another forum
He's been touted as Peps replacement at city whenever he decides to leave & was publically backed for the city job a few months back by Kompany. Why? At City he became Peps right hand man almost immediately. He runs daily trainings & runs 1 to 1 sessions with players after regular training which have been highly successful due in no small part to his excellent communication skills. Benefactors of these 1 to 1 sessions include: Sterling who he worked on finishing & first touch with, Sane who he's done the same with. When asked about learning from Pep, Same brought up Arteta & said he is who has taught him the most at city. Delph, who he retrained at LB & now Rodri who he is helping to adapt to the pace of the league.

Pep has credited his knowledge of the league as vital, saying that he relied on Artetas knowledge of upcoming opponents as he simply didn't know the teams or players as well as him. He relied on this heavily in the case of Arsenal actually & in Artetas first season as a coach he was given control of the team in the match day & week leading up to the Arsenal game in December. This was the first time Sterling was ever used as a striker & he scored that day.'
That all sounds very nice in theory but the players he is improving at city are several rungs above the mediocrity that we are blessed with. I think we are going to find that our shower are beyond the capabilities of any new coach looking to cut their teeth. Unless wiggy is going to back him with a few quid to buy a decent CB and DM in January - not an easy ask - then I fear that Arteta will go the same way as Emery.
Unless we sell PEA or Lacazette I can't see us buying anybody in January. This season is a write off so he's pretty much got a 7 month long preseason to figure out who is worth keeping.

Midz

Post by Midz »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:52 pm
I am against the Arteta appointment. We're not a tester club, we cannot afford to get the next appointment wrong as we are in free fall. I think the whole idea that we are so desperate to appoint a man who hasn't managed a club before is laughable, but given our current state, it is terrifying.

The whole clandestine meeting at his house last night just SCREAMS desperation.
I think it screams 'we're not willing to spend the money on a proper manager'.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

He’ll have to keep Arsenal in the PL first!!

Herd

Post by Herd »

Whoever comes in will need to weed out the bad seeds destroying the club, and that won't be easy !
I would be surprised if Arteta even wants the job after Yesterdays performance !
I would bring in some professional motivators to get this lot working harder ,in old parlance they were called gangsters !
Knowing your family could be In jeopardy or very seriously hurt if you didn't shut up and start performing would produce immediate results on our cowardly combatants .
If they did it be worth worth having a tenner on a Two Cup Double bet !
So I say bring in Doug And Dinsdale Piranha now and watch the Arsenal players catch fire ............….literally ……………..or their homes,dogs children etc !

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Midz wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:03 pm
Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:52 pm

[b]The whole clandestine meeting at his house last night just SCREAMS desperation[/b].

I think it screams 'we're not willing to spend the money on a proper manager'.

It just looks like there's been so horribly desperate chase after him up the motorway. Almost like they tried after the game and he just told them he wasn't bothered about it and wanted to go home. Then, our lot all piled in to someone's mum's borrowed car and charged up the road after him. You can just picture, Rahul, whatnot shouting out:
"Quick, Vinai, get in, we're off to find Arteta"
"Ok, but can I bring my friend, Huss. He loves a car journey and we've got a cracking tape to sing along to on the way. I've recorded Now 25 and it's got all the crackers on it."
"Alright, but quick, get in and don't tell anyone."
"Um, Huss, you're the solicitor, is any of this hanging outside his house and ringing the doorbell, you know, legal?"
"Umm, err, umm, yes, if we don't tell anyone."
"Hello, Mikkel. Do you want a job with us?"
"Um, no but if I say yes, will you just stop ringing the fucking doorbell and sending those begging emails?
"The doorbell yes, the emails, no, can't guarantee that. We just need the money, you see."
"Oh, for fuck's sake, yes, I'll do it, now just fuck off."

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

As with others if Arteta gets the job so be it, he is not in my top 5 but if he is our Coach then he gets backing until it goes wrong (or not).

Whilst the write up on his coaching style at Man City is indicative of his one to one ability and understanding, that is much easier to do as a number 2, i can't see him having much time as Head Coach to have one to ones with players.

As i said elsewhere, the other difficulty any coach has right now is the pace of games and lack of time between. I think if Arteta is appointed he has to be given the rest of the season just to get his head round how shit we are and where we need to go, i'd go as far as to say we supporters have to potentially write of all fixtures up until Feb at the earliest, before we even get an idea of where things might go and whether he can impose any direction on the team.

Not my first choice by a long shot and a huge gamble but with our board being who they are he is probably as 'high profile' as we are going to get any time soon, and that's not saying a lot :roll:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Must be expecting an announcement today/tomorrow. Bookies 1/10 for him to be next manager.

I really don't think we have a lot of choices. No decent manager wants the job. So punt on Arteta it is.

augie

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:12 pm
augie wrote:
Still 100% against arteta getting the job cos I don't think this is the job for a novice manager, but if he joins I suppose we may get behind him
This.

It's a massive roll of the dice at a time we can ill afford to take a huge risk but we just got to hope he's the real deal. I'm not suicidal about the appointment as Arsenal have pretty much beaten me into submission over the last decade, but like yourself I'm going to get behind him 100% and see where we go. The next 6 months he's pretty much got a free pass anyway as the season has already been written off so he can assess everything over that period, steady the ship and then cull the shit out of the squad next summer.

The ideal scenario is no Thursday night football next season and we go weekend to weekend fully focused on the league and domestic cups and try and rebuild the club that way.

Today is ground zero, fingers crossed that better times are ahead from here on in, slow as it may be to get there,

Understand your thinking, but cannot agree with you there rodders - yes there are some targets that the club should have been aiming for that are gone out the window already (top 4 for starters), but I am still expecting him to start recognizing the weaknesses straight away, and to address them straight away. Freddie came in and from day 1 restored xhaka, ozil and kolasniac to the starting team - there is no way in the world that I will accept arteta doing it with the theory that he has a free pass for rest of this season. Arteta (or whoever the next manager is) will not have the necessary players to fix all our problems straight away, but he sure as shit needs to minimise the negative's in the meantime, and banishing xhaka and ozil will start that process and will send a message to the fans that he has recognized issues and is making steps to improve them.
I will also expect to see him show me some semblance of a tactical plan NOW - not the finished article or anything, but some sort of a system that will prevent our defence getting anally violated every week would be a start.

As I say, he will get some leeway, but he def needs to show progress in some area's straight away

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

augie wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:02 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:12 pm
augie wrote:
This.

It's a massive roll of the dice at a time we can ill afford to take a huge risk but we just got to hope he's the real deal. I'm not suicidal about the appointment as Arsenal have pretty much beaten me into submission over the last decade, but like yourself I'm going to get behind him 100% and see where we go. The next 6 months he's pretty much got a free pass anyway as the season has already been written off so he can assess everything over that period, steady the ship and then cull the shit out of the squad next summer.

The ideal scenario is no Thursday night football next season and we go weekend to weekend fully focused on the league and domestic cups and try and rebuild the club that way.

Today is ground zero, fingers crossed that better times are ahead from here on in, slow as it may be to get there,

Understand your thinking, but cannot agree with you there rodders - yes there are some targets that the club should have been aiming for that are gone out the window already (top 4 for starters), but I am still expecting him to start recognizing the weaknesses straight away, and to address them straight away. Freddie came in and from day 1 restored xhaka, ozil and kolasniac to the starting team - there is no way in the world that I will accept arteta doing it with the theory that he has a free pass for rest of this season. Arteta (or whoever the next manager is) will not have the necessary players to fix all our problems straight away, but he sure as shit needs to minimise the negative's in the meantime, and banishing xhaka and ozil will start that process and will send a message to the fans that he has recognized issues and is making steps to improve them.
I will also expect to see him show me some semblance of a tactical plan NOW - not the finished article or anything, but some sort of a system that will prevent our defence getting anally violated every week would be a start.

As I say, he will get some leeway, but he def needs to show progress in some area's straight away
Funnily enough i agree with both of you, the problem Arteta will have is pretty similar to Freddie, lack of options. It seems no matter what defensive setup has been used, and i think Freddie has used all of them and with variations of DM in front, the same issues occur no matter who is used. This isn't a defense of Freddie just a recognition of the fact that our options are all shit or below par, unfortunately Arteta is left with the same crap to sort out albeit in a permanent role if appointed. He can make personnel changes but can he change attitudes and aptitude quickly, i seriously doubt it :rubchin:

Blim

Post by Blim »

Fat Sam. :barscarf: :mrgreen:

Clummo2019

Post by Clummo2019 »

Christ! We don't even know if he's being offered the job yet and already you're putting a bit of pressure on him. :shock:

I think a touch more pragmatism is in order. :lol: :lol:

Perryashburtongroves

I have just remembered what Arteta's wife looks like. Fucking hell, give the bloke a twenty year deal, now.

Perryashburtongroves

Clummo2019 wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:34 pm
Christ! We don't even know if he's being offered the job yet and already you're putting a bit of pressure on him. :shock:

I think a touch more pragmatism is in order. :lol: :lol:
Give it twenty minutes and we'll all be ripping apart his team selection and substitutions.