Who would you like to see as next manager POLL

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Who would you like to see as next manager

Poll ended at Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:04 pm

Arteta
No votes
Allegri
50%
Bergkamp
3%
Enrique
No votes
Freddie
3%
Mourinho
9%
Vieira
12%
Rodgers
15%
Santo
3%
Ten Hag
6%

Total votes: 34

Perryashburtongroves

Re: Who would you like to see as next manager POLL

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

StuartL wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:19 am
rodders999 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:14 pm
Jennifer Aniston was the first woman to give me the horn.

Stunning. Even now when I hear the name Rachel my pecker twitches. Friends was shite but I watched religiously hoping to see a bit of side boob or even the bulge of her gash in a tight fitting pants.

I also loved the fonz from Happy Day’s.
:shock:
Fucking hell, what is happening on this forum? It's like we've gone back 10 years to that time when you couldn't go five minutes without someone popping out of the closet for a few hours or desperately trying to gay someone up. At least back in those days, all this stuff took place in the Basement. I blame on-line dating apps for allowing this type of filth to be perceived as normal in polite society. That and immigration, of course.

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:02 am
NickF wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:36 am
Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:38 pm

Media luvvie Pep has had enough now that he is being challenged by the dippers and possibly Leicester and a few others. He has a history of getting out the moment the free and easy times are ending and just like his other two jobs, he'll carefully construct an 'end of era' narrative to make his exit look less like the ego-maniac, can't deal with competition, coward he is. He has no interest in creating anything sustainable, it's all about his personal myth, his greatest fear is someone doing something at a club that he hasn't done. Barcelona and Bayern Munich had done it all before him and whatever he did was just just window dressing. They were huge before him and achieved everything there was to be achieved years in advance of him taking over. Man City haven't done that. This is is his first real pressure job where he has to win the European Cup or else he'll be deemed a failure. If they don't do it this year, cue the planted stories of disharmony and power struggles behind the scenes. He got out at Barcelona as soon as Inter and Real Madrid toppled him and as soon as he knew he was never getting the adoration of the Bayern public, he walked off. The moment his myth is doubted is the moment he decides to 'go on a personal sabbatical'. He's happy to let Arteta leave to manage us because it gives him the chance to start his exit story. Put a tenner on him managing PSG in 18 months time and talk of him being drawn to the 'challenges' of French football.
Would you have had him as our manager if he had been available??

Purely out of interest who would you deem worthy of being our manager...
I would have had him in the summer of 2014. We were at a perfect point for a manager like him then. Right now, we are not the right place for him. We need a root and branch review and a rebuild and he doesn't seem to do those type of jobs. He's an instant success, walk-in to a structure and programme already in place type of manager and yes, he's very successful at it but for him to be effective, I think he has to add value to an already high-performing or extremely wealthy club. Back in the June/July 2014, we had a talented group of players and were in the Champions League, making decent money and the trophy drought had ended. We just needed refreshing and pointing in a new direction. As much as I don't like saying it, I think old tramp at the bindippers would be a good fit for us now. I feel terrible thinking this but he seems to be a good rebuilding and almost re-profiling type of manager who has taken on two big name clubs in two tough leagues, who were drifting and revitalised them.
Right now, we need a rebuild job and a total re-profiling. The value of any quick success we might get with a short-term appointment will only be a morphine -style pain-killer disguising the systematic failures and culture of apathy which is running like a virus through this club.
In terms of who gets the job now, I'm honestly open-minded about Arteta. I can only go on what I've read in the papers but he seems to know his stuff and is a positive influence of players who need coaching and support. That's what we need right now. I don't see him taking the job unless he is aware of the need to rebuild us and that must surely form his plans and ideas for the next however long. The squad we have and the atmosphere inside the club right now needs someone with energy and the dedication to work and work and work on improving players. Top of my list would have been Allegri or Joachim Löw but realistically, a clear, calm manager with fluent English, experience of the English game and culture counts for a lot in terms of where we are right now. We need someone who knows exactly what happens in the English game from the first day on the job, not a six month settling in period.
Well said Perry.

This was the sort of discussion that I was hoping the Klopp vs Guardiola thread that I created the other day would generate. My fault for not adding more to the original post than just a fucking video. :oops:

IIRC Guardiola had a serious interest back in 2014 to succeed Wenger and we were apparently he's first preference instead of City. Had he come here and built a title winning side with the same amount of money Wenger spent he's legacy would be even greater. Everything he's achieved, as great as it is, will always have an asterisk around it due to his inability to construct title winning sides over time like Klopp, Ferguson and the Wenger from '96-'05 did. Even that odious cretin Mourinho should be rated higher for winning the CL with Porto.

Like you said Klopp would have been ideal. Think Klopp only acts a twat to ingratiate himself with the Victims and all the bullshit surrounding them. Had he come here I can't see him doing the cringeworthy shit he does on the sidelines.

As for Arteta, I'm quietly confident that he's the man to turn us around. For all his limitations as a player, I think he got what it meant to play for the badge and at the very least I hope he'll bring some pride back to Arsenal like George Graham did in the late 80's.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

NickF wrote:

Media luvvie Pep has had enough now that he is being challenged by the dippers and possibly Leicester and a few others. He has a history of getting out the moment the free and easy times are ending and just like his other two jobs, he'll carefully construct an 'end of era' narrative to make his exit look less like the ego-maniac, can't deal with competition, coward he is. He has no interest in creating anything sustainable, it's all about his personal myth, his greatest fear is someone doing something at a club that he hasn't done. Barcelona and Bayern Munich had done it all before him and whatever he did was just just window dressing. They were huge before him and achieved everything there was to be achieved years in advance of him taking over. Man City haven't done that. This is is his first real pressure job where he has to win the European Cup or else he'll be deemed a failure. If they don't do it this year, cue the planted stories of disharmony and power struggles behind the scenes. He got out at Barcelona as soon as Inter and Real Madrid toppled him and as soon as he knew he was never getting the adoration of the Bayern public, he walked off. The moment his myth is doubted is the moment he decides to 'go on a personal sabbatical'. He's happy to let Arteta leave to manage us because it gives him the chance to start his exit story. Put a tenner on him managing PSG in 18 months time and talk of him being drawn to the 'challenges' of French football.

I would have had him in the summer of 2014. We were at a perfect point for a manager like him then. Right now, we are not the right place for him. We need a root and branch review and a rebuild and he doesn't seem to do those type of jobs. He's an instant success, walk-in to a structure and programme already in place type of manager and yes, he's very successful at it but for him to be effective, I think he has to add value to an already high-performing or extremely wealthy club. Back in the June/July 2014, we had a talented group of players and were in the Champions League, making decent money and the trophy drought had ended. We just needed refreshing and pointing in a new direction. As much as I don't like saying it, I think old tramp at the bindippers would be a good fit for us now. I feel terrible thinking this but he seems to be a good rebuilding and almost re-profiling type of manager who has taken on two big name clubs in two tough leagues, who were drifting and revitalised them.
Right now, we need a rebuild job and a total re-profiling. The value of any quick success we might get with a short-term appointment will only be a morphine -style pain-killer disguising the systematic failures and culture of apathy which is running like a virus through this club.
In terms of who gets the job now, I'm honestly open-minded about Arteta. I can only go on what I've read in the papers but he seems to know his stuff and is a positive influence of players who need coaching and support. That's what we need right now. I don't see him taking the job unless he is aware of the need to rebuild us and that must surely form his plans and ideas for the next however long. The squad we have and the atmosphere inside the club right now needs someone with energy and the dedication to work and work and work on improving players. Top of my list would have been Allegri or Joachim Löw but realistically, a clear, calm manager with fluent English, experience of the English game and culture counts for a lot in terms of where we are right now. We need someone who knows exactly what happens in the English game from the first day on the job, not a six month settling in period.
Let's not forget Stupid Teeth needed to spend 500million to rebuild that victim team. He would never have got even half that with us.

And before our resident victim fans jump in, forget the "but he sold x players for x money" argument. The point is he had those players to sell. Who could he have sold at our place for huge money? :roll:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SydneyGooner wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:57 am
NickF wrote:

Well said Perry.

This was the sort of discussion that I was hoping the Klopp vs Guardiola thread that I created the other day would generate. My fault for not adding more to the original post than just a fucking video. :oops:

IIRC Guardiola had a serious interest back in 2014 to succeed Wenger and we were apparently he's first preference instead of City. Had he come here and built a title winning side with the same amount of money Wenger spent he's legacy would be even greater. Everything he's achieved, as great as it is, will always have an asterisk around it due to his inability to construct title winning sides over time like Klopp, Ferguson and the Wenger from '96-'05 did. Even that odious cretin Mourinho should be rated higher for winning the CL with Porto.

Like you said Klopp would have been ideal. Think Klopp only acts a twat to ingratiate himself with the Victims and all the bullshit surrounding them. Had he come here I can't see him doing the cringeworthy shit he does on the sidelines.

As for Arteta, I'm quietly confident that he's the man to turn us around. For all his limitations as a player, I think he got what it meant to play for the badge and at the very least I hope he'll bring some pride back to Arsenal like George Graham did in the late 80's.
No mate the mistake you made was posting a video containing 4 "soccer" fanboy cùnts. :D :wink:

Clash

Post by Clash »

The stupid teeth thing perfectly describes Klopp's current appearance :D .

The elephant man bothering to put a parting in his hair was a bad enough but having pristine white teeth when the rest of you looks like a vagrant is laughable. Its like when you see a tramp wearing a new pair of white trainers he's got from somewhere. Fucking ridiculous

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Clash wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:36 pm

The elephant man bothering to put a parting in his hair was a bad enough but having pristine white teeth when the rest of you looks like a vagrant is laughable. Its like when you see a tramp wearing a new pair of white trainers he's got from somewhere. Fucking ridiculous
:lol: :lol:

Also love the "Trampy Shipman" name I think Perry gave him. :lol:

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:41 pm
Clash wrote:

:lol: :lol:

Also love the "Trampy Shipman" name I think Perry gave him. :lol:
I saw someone call him Jurbin the other day on something which made me laugh.

wibble

Post by wibble »

NickF wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:26 am
Have to agree with DB10s summing up on Jennifer Aniston.

Anyway back on topic, good article below about the job Arteta has got.

https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/ ... nes-around
Amusing and depressing in equal measure was the fact that pretty much the only positive for Arteta was the following:

He won’t have to change arsenals approach as right now they don’t have one

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

How long before this thread starts up again :rubchin:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:41 pm
February? :rubchin: :wink:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:44 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Always had you down as an optometrist :lol: Did it slip your mind that January comes between December and February :rubchin: :lol:

John F

Post by John F »

Clash wrote:

:barscarf: When he froths at the mouth during games he looks like he has got Rabies.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

The man with no votes gets the prize then

Just proves how out of touch owners are with their fanbase. Not saying us lot have all the answers but between us there must be tens of thousands of years of watching the Arsenal and not one person voted for him......as opposed to a few sharp suits that have been in 'soccer' for a few years who have appointed the manager. Sometimes it really is that simple

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:52 am
The man with no votes gets the prize then

Just proves how out of touch owners are with their fanbase. Not saying us lot have all the answers but between us there must be tens of thousands of years of watching the Arsenal and not one person voted for him......as opposed to a few sharp suits that have been in 'soccer' for a few years who have appointed the manager. Sometimes it really is that simple
100% on the money mate. A club our size giving the key job to a guy with zero hours under the hood as a manager. I hope he succeeds but honestly would be stunned if he does.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:31 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:44 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Always had you down as an optometrist :lol: Did it slip your mind that January comes between December and February :rubchin: :lol:
Oops. :wink: