Who would you like to see as next manager POLL

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Who would you like to see as next manager

Poll ended at Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:04 pm

Arteta
No votes
Allegri
50%
Bergkamp
3%
Enrique
No votes
Freddie
3%
Mourinho
9%
Vieira
12%
Rodgers
15%
Santo
3%
Ten Hag
6%

Total votes: 34

Clash

Re: Who would you like to see as next manager POLL

Post by Clash »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:31 pm
After watching a couple of interviews with Arteta from 2014, 2015 I'm slowly coming round to idea of him being a manager that will breath some life into the club.
In both interviews he's still a player but was very clear about his management style and the expectation as a manager he's have of his players. It was refreshing to hear and hopefully he can step up to his own expectation. I liked the way he spoke about what it takes to be a player at Arsenal, whilst still a player.
Maybe, coming from the generation of supporters who witnessed our greatest period in our modern history, wanting players from that period to be back at the club is a bit rose-tinted. Arteta is a post-Highbury player who I enjoyed watching play for us and he knows the stadium and training set-up well. It's only 3 years since he left. Maybe, just maybe he will bring back to the club an identity we lost after he left. The fact his hair has not changed in 20 years scares me, Hopefully, he'll do the same to a few lightweights in the squad. I bet he makes Xhaka cry in the first month.
Flogging a dead horse comes to mind when you say the first highlighted part Nos. This club is beyond saving just from a change of manager.

And the other highlighted part is like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted. We lost our identity long before Arteta joined, never mind when he left!

I am done with the horse stuff but your mention of Arteta's hair reminded me of my cousin, a former hairdresser. She would often have requests from customers who wanted whatever bullshit thing was in vogue at the time (Lisa Stansfield, Princess Diana, Jennifer Aniston :roll: ) . I remember she once said no matter how skilled a hairdresser you are, sometimes people just had to learn to accept that they did not have the right head shape for the haircut they were asking for. And it was no use blaming them when it didnt work. Coming out of the salon looking more like Pat Butcher than Joanna Lumley (she didnt say that bit 8) ) shouldn't necessarily reflect on the ability of the hairdresser if that is what nature has dictated.

And so it sometimes is with management. If you are asked to coach a squad full of brainless imbeciles who are beyond reach, then it doesn't matter how good a coach you are, you will fail. It will be absolutely futile trying to mould them into anything but the rabble of cowardly headless chickens that they are.

Clash

Post by Clash »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:08 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:44 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:28 pm
The Independent claim one of Mikel Arteta’s first tasks at #Arsenal will be to either convince big players to stay or overhaul his squad. The Independent has been told that Aubameyang actively wants to leave, reflecting a growing mood in the squad. https://t.co/RqReEhPsfy

Ljungberg told the hierarchy too many of the players didn’t care, & that was unlikely to change until a permanent appointment was made. Both Ljungberg & key officials are said to have been taken aback by just how much the players have dropped off & how slack some attitudes were. https://t.co/dsV0b406KD

Aubameyang wants to join a club he feels can better challenge for the top trophies quickly, & has little desire to commit to a medium-term project. Lacazette & Xhaka are among others considering their future, but several sources say its a feeling spreading among “half the squad”. https://t.co/vPWgx33GAB
Their attitude is obvious by their performances. Someone like Freddie may never have witnessed that sort of attitude before. Auba is past 30 years old so he is running out of time, and a player of his calibre should be playing in the Champions League. Henry did the same when he realised he wasn't going to win the champions league with us post 2006. Lacazette, Ozil and Xhaka can go, given their poor performances. In Ozil's case he may have to leave the Premier League after pissing off the Premier League's biggest customer.
AT least Auba is scoring goals. How has he got 11 goals this season when the team behind him has been so poor? Keeping him till the end of the season is critical to our push to hit the top 4. Looking at the fixtures ahead it is not an impossible task, just need a manager in place before the weekend.
I actually long for the days of being flat track bullies, at least it gave us a modicum of success.
i had to read this twice just to check what you had actually put :lol:
:D

Its like just as the Titanic is creaking and about to stand up on end in the freezing water before it slides deep down to the bottom of the ocean ... someone asking the captain how long it will take before the hole is repaired and whether things are still on course for their arrival in New York :barscarf:

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:08 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:44 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:28 pm
The Independent claim one of Mikel Arteta’s first tasks at #Arsenal will be to either convince big players to stay or overhaul his squad. The Independent has been told that Aubameyang actively wants to leave, reflecting a growing mood in the squad. https://t.co/RqReEhPsfy

Ljungberg told the hierarchy too many of the players didn’t care, & that was unlikely to change until a permanent appointment was made. Both Ljungberg & key officials are said to have been taken aback by just how much the players have dropped off & how slack some attitudes were. https://t.co/dsV0b406KD

Aubameyang wants to join a club he feels can better challenge for the top trophies quickly, & has little desire to commit to a medium-term project. Lacazette & Xhaka are among others considering their future, but several sources say its a feeling spreading among “half the squad”. https://t.co/vPWgx33GAB
Their attitude is obvious by their performances. Someone like Freddie may never have witnessed that sort of attitude before. Auba is past 30 years old so he is running out of time, and a player of his calibre should be playing in the Champions League. Henry did the same when he realised he wasn't going to win the champions league with us post 2006. Lacazette, Ozil and Xhaka can go, given their poor performances. In Ozil's case he may have to leave the Premier League after pissing off the Premier League's biggest customer.
AT least Auba is scoring goals. How has he got 11 goals this season when the team behind him has been so poor? Keeping him till the end of the season is critical to our push to hit the top 4. Looking at the fixtures ahead it is not an impossible task, just need a manager in place before the weekend.
I actually long for the days of being flat track bullies, at least it gave us a modicum of success.
i had to read this twice just to check what you had actually put :lol:
Is imperative in our desperate push not to finish in the bottom 4.

augie

Post by augie »

Clash wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:15 pm
Nos89 wrote:
After watching a couple of interviews with Arteta from 2014, 2015 I'm slowly coming round to idea of him being a manager that will breath some life into the club.
In both interviews he's still a player but was very clear about his management style and the expectation as a manager he's have of his players. It was refreshing to hear and hopefully he can step up to his own expectation. I liked the way he spoke about what it takes to be a player at Arsenal, whilst still a player.
Maybe, coming from the generation of supporters who witnessed our greatest period in our modern history, wanting players from that period to be back at the club is a bit rose-tinted. Arteta is a post-Highbury player who I enjoyed watching play for us and he knows the stadium and training set-up well. It's only 3 years since he left. Maybe, just maybe he will bring back to the club an identity we lost after he left. The fact his hair has not changed in 20 years scares me, Hopefully, he'll do the same to a few lightweights in the squad. I bet he makes Xhaka cry in the first month.
Flogging a dead horse comes to mind when you say the first highlighted part Nos. This club is beyond saving just from a change of manager.

And the other highlighted part is like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted. We lost our identity long before Arteta joined, never mind when he left!

I am done with the horse stuff but your mention of Arteta's hair reminded me of my cousin, a former hairdresser. She would often have requests from customers who wanted whatever bullshit thing was in vogue at the time (Lisa Stansfield, Princess Diana, Jennifer Aniston :roll: ) . I remember she once said no matter how skilled a hairdresser you are, sometimes people just had to learn to accept that they did not have the right head shape for the haircut they were asking for. And it was no use blaming them when it didnt work. Coming out of the salon looking more like Pat Butcher than Joanna Lumley (she didnt say that bit 8) ) shouldn't necessarily reflect on the ability of the hairdresser if that is what nature has dictated.

And so it sometimes is with management. If you are asked to coach a squad full of brainless imbeciles who are beyond reach, then it doesn't matter how good a coach you are, you will fail. It will be absolutely futile trying to mould them into anything but the rabble of cowardly headless chickens that they are.

There was a time that I wanted to be in Jennifer aniston - I'm not saying that I would turn her down now, but she definitely hasn't aged well :(

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

sky sports stating that Arteta has agreed and its man city's demands holding things up.

can he not just quit his job?

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

Still nothing confirmed.....can we not still dodge this beige bullet? It's the hope that kills you.....

Clash

Post by Clash »

augie wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:03 pm

There was a time that I wanted to be in Jennifer aniston - I'm not saying that I would turn her down now, but she definitely hasn't aged well :(
:D :D

It is a little discussed fact (but a fact none the less) that men age better than women.

The state of some of the girls I knew when I was younger ... :shock:
Bob Bayliss wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:28 pm
Still nothing confirmed.....can we not still dodge this beige bullet? It's the hope that kills you.....
haha :lol: :lol: 8)

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:28 pm
Too late to dodge the bullet. Pep has said that he expects Arteta to be the new boss of the Arsenal and quite frankly that's good enough for me. Our own incompetent fu.ckwits might come out and say something meaningful but somehow I doubt it as they probably don't want to spoil the surprise for everybody at the re-arranged presser tomorrow :roll:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Arteta announced as new Arsenal manager. Probably. Maybe. Some other stuff too. (#db10nowaninternetcunt)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

:censored: :barscarf: :lol: :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

According to DB on another thread some gay cowboy has got the job :shock: :wink:

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

augie wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:03 pm
Clash wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:15 pm
Nos89 wrote:

There was a time that I wanted to be in Jennifer aniston - I'm not saying that I would turn her down now, but she definitely hasn't aged well
:(
Wow! Your standards are WAY too high!

Midz

Post by Midz »

I don't see why City want compensation for Arteta.
I think we should get compensation for taking him!

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Jennifer Aniston was the first woman to give me the horn.

Stunning. Even now when I hear the name Rachel my pecker twitches. Friends was shite but I watched religiously hoping to see a bit of side boob or even the bulge of her gash in a tight fitting pants.

Happy days.