Brighton H Thurs 5th Dec KO 815pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Clash

Re: Brighton H Thurs 5th Dec KO 815pm

Post by Clash »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:08 am
Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:50 am
a big match as we battle for one of those Europa League places :oops:

by the way I'm loving Amazon Prime - was in a pub last night and it was amazing to have 6 games to watch all going on at the same time :barscarf:
Oooh, you dreamer. We're firmly in a battle for the top-half. In terms of the Amazon Prime thing, it'll be interesting to see whether this is something which is allowed more frequently in coming seasons. For years, English football has had this mania about not broadcasting matches when others are going on at the same time for fear of affecting gates at other matches. I think we might see more Premier League matches played on days when there is no other games going on, especially Tuesdays or Sundays and more deals with broadcasters to show all the matches. I think Sky Germany have been doing this type of thing with the Bundesliga for a few years. They broadcast all the matches being played on different channels and have a channel which shows one main game but then cuts to the action and goals from all the others. So you can either watch your team's game or if you're a casual fan or don't support one of the teams playing, you can see all the action as it happens. It's quite a popular thing on a Saturday to go to the pub if you're not at at a game and watch the goals go in from around the league. The deal only applies in the countries bordering Germany but seems to have become a bit of a template for other leagues and their future tv deals.
It really is about time this was addressed. If they allowed this then more Saturday 3pm games could take place.

However I do wonder where all this is going? If all games become available to watch live on TV, who will go to the stadiums? Especially if the admission prices remain what they are. TV needs full stadiums for viewers to keep watching. At the same time, if the TV money dwarfs the gate money to the extent that the big clubs do not rely so heavily on gate revenue anymore, then maybe to attract a crowd they'll be able to allow free or heavily subsidised admission sometime in the future.

If that sounds too good to be true it's because it is - because it will be for members only. Meaning the clubs get to control who is a member ... or in other words they get to pick their own crowd. Dissenting fans criticising boards, managers and players will have their membership cancelled - sycophantic tourist types or they kind of people willing to take part in co-ordinated flag displays and songs praising the owners etc. will be permitted. And they'll all become part of the product that is being sold to the world - the world being the TV viewers generating the money. Traditional fans like ourselves will be a thing of the past. :suicide:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Read somewhere a while back, might have been around the time of the new TV deals, that clubs could let fans in for nothing for a full season and still make a profit, could be bullshit though.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Who knows anymore ? Playing against a good side, or even a half decent side, I expect us to struggle and probably lose. Against perennial relegation battlers like Brighton, any outcome is possible, but it will be a grim slog whatever.

I'd predict 1-1, or 2-1 to either side.

I'm afraid that Freddie has already torpedoed any faith I might have been able to muster in him (not sure I could have anyway), by immediately re-instating Xhaka. I said countless times on here that I knew last year that Dick was not the answer, when it was clear that Xhaka was his first choice centre mid. There's absolutely no justification or excuse for that and how anyone involved with the game can rate this park player is beyond me. So......Freddie ain't the answer, even short term.

I can almost forgive the Mustafi pick, simply because there's barely a fag paper between who's the most crap of all our centre halves. It's simply a case of rotating one incompetent for another. That said, I'd probably judge Mustafi as the worst of the lot.

Happy days and for those suggesting a relegation fight, it's not as daft as it sounds. I can definitely see us being bottom half and if the club continues to slide as it currently is, then anything is possible next season. :|

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:02 pm
goonertux wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:52 am
scotgooner wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:43 am
Taking my girlfriend to her first ever Arsenal game tonight so would like a win for that reason if nothing else.

Not exactly the most glamorous fixture to get her hooked on the Arsenal :roll: :D

Anyway few drinks in the boozer before hand & soak up the atmosphere , should be a good day. Win , lose or draw!
Taking the bird up the Arse for the first time, eh? Hope it's not too painful for her!
:D :gus:
Damn you beat me to it. :?

:D :wink:
Think we all did mate, poor old scotgooner :cry: :lol:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:19 pm
Read somewhere a while back, might have been around the time of the new TV deals, that clubs could let fans in for nothing for a full season and still make a profit, could be bullshit though.
Not us - we have been profitable this last couple of seasons thanks to transfer dealings as we made trading losses before them. I recall that gate receipts are about £100M and TV is around the £180 - 200M mark so the fans aren't as important as the telly :shock:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

scotgooner wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:43 am
Taking my girlfriend to her first ever Arsenal game tonight so would like a win for that reason if nothing else.

Not exactly the most glamorous fixture to get her hooked on the Arsenal :roll: :D

Anyway few drinks in the boozer before hand & soak up the atmosphere , should be a good day. Win , lose or draw!
That post was going really well until you said "soak up the atmosphere ".

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

I'm going tonight probably out of sentimentality to support Freddie and have a few beers with mates. Can't think of many other reasons. Not sure how Amazon optimise their revenue by having an 8:15 ko though.

Regardless, Amazon have the potential to shake up football in England and give SKY/BT something to think about. Both companies charge too much. Competition forces prices down, just look at the streaming wars in the US.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:29 pm
I'm going tonight probably out of sentimentality to support Freddie and have a few beers with mates. Can't think of many other reasons. Not sure how Amazon optimise their revenue by having an 8:15 ko though.

Regardless, Amazon have the potential to shake up football in England and give SKY/BT something to think about. Both companies charge too much. Competition forces prices down, just look at the streaming wars in the US.

Very interesting to see where the Amazon involvement goes. As the biggest of the three by a long long way they are in a position to fu.ck up Sky & BT without breaking sweat if they decide to get involved. Although I thought that BT are involved in the Amazon production? The 8.15 kick off time fits in with the 7.30 kick offs by giving viewers the chance to watch a full game and then catch the second half of another match or vice versa.

The problem is there is only one product at the end of the day and the PL control how the TV rights are shared so why would they let the money they get from the TV companies go down. They won't. If they keep selling their matches in packages the way they do now it just means that another bidder potentially enters the process and keeps the price they receive at it's current level or higher.

Whether Amazon is then prepared to buy market share at the PL's current price and can turn a profit at their current Prime TV monthly subscription of around £8 per month is the question and is debatable. If they do then that's fine with me but I would have thought they might introduce a football deal and we could end up paying a bit more. I suppose BT is about a tenner a month so it can be done at that price but I guess it depends on which package of games they end up with.

The only way that prices for us go down is if Amazon is able to secure the premium package that sky usually win and then don't charge over the odds for it. But as a business they will want to max their return. That said if sky ended up with the package that BT currently has and shows for a tenner then that would seriously screw with Sky. Or the PL might have to completely reconsider the way they package up their games. Could be interesting times ahead.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:58 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:57 pm
falkirk goon wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:26 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:23 pm
The new manager bounce [(c) SlySports] is on its way kiddies!! :shock:

5 fucking nil to the Arsenal. Have it you cùnts.

:barscarf:

:shock:

:rubchin:

:suicide:

:wink:
More chance of a rocking horse dropping a log DB :lol:
:lol:

Probably also more chance of M&S selling Furburgers.

"This isn't just any gristly hairy pockmarked old vadge.... this is an M&S gristly hairy pockmarked old vadge...."

:D
Ohhh! Great! Thanks a Bunch DB! Yeah Great! Cheers!! I went in M & S Yesterday on the way home from work and I said to the nice lady who stands by the Self-Serve Check-outs to help any retard who can't figure out how to press a few buttons with one of the 6 fingers on their hand "Excuse me nice young lady but where would I find the Furburgers please?"

Next thing I know I've got a searing painful spasm coursing throughout my entire body, I'm on the floor and she is kicking seven shades out of me and saying, "This is no ordinary Electric Stun Gun, this is an M & S Electric Stun Gun and these are Special Edition M & S Dr Marten Boots".

:(

Yer barstewards could have warned me they don't sell them. :(
:lol: :lol:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Arsenal XI: Leno, Bellerin, David Luiz, Sokratis, Kolasinac, Torreira, Xhaka, Willock, Ozil, Aubameyang, Lacazette

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Bellerin, Sokratis and Torreira in. Mustafi, Chambers and Guendouzi out.

No Mustafi thankfully, but Xhaka very much his #1 CM and the all-round useless Kolasinac gets another start. Have to say that Willock is nearly always ineffective too and whilst I’m happy with him being involved around the team he isn’t ready to start regularly.

augie

Post by augie »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:15 pm
Arsenal XI: Leno, Bellerin, David Luiz, Sokratis, Kolasinac, Torreira, Xhaka, Willock, Ozil, Aubameyang, Lacazette

Still picking xhaka. Still picking kolasniac. Still picking ozil. And picked Willock again after an absolute 'mare on sunday :roll:

Freddie's powers of perception are on high alert :banghead: :banghead:

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:15 pm
No mystify which is a plus and torreira is in which is another..but kolasinac over Tierney :shock: and that fucking ringhole xhaka still in aswell..disgraceful.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

To be fair Augie, looking at our un-creative mess of a side then I struggle to see who starts instead of Ozil in this game.

Particularly if he is daring enough to play our two quality strikers up front rather than just one lone striker to pick out.

augie

Post by augie »

northbank123 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:22 pm
To be fair Augie, looking at our un-creative mess of a side then I struggle to see who starts instead of Ozil in this game.

Particularly if he is daring enough to play our two quality strikers up front rather than just one lone striker to pick out.

I mean no disrespect to you when I say this nb123, but matches are played on grass and ozil's assets seem to be on paper. If we want creativity then go with 4-3-3 - drop the woefully out of form laca and the moody ozil, and play pepe and martinelli either side of auba.
Simples 8)