Brighton H Thurs 5th Dec KO 815pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Gunner Rob

Re: Brighton H Thurs 5th Dec KO 815pm

Post by Gunner Rob »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:29 am
The "be careful what you wish for" lot are back reminding us that we didn't realise how well Wenger was doing to keep winning the fourth place trophy. But in truth, the alarm bells were ringing ever more loudly during those years. We left it way too late to get rid of him, and left ourselves in a position where we could not recruit a successor capable of rebuilding the squad effectively.

It is very rare that I dsagree with any of Kevin Witcher's wise words in his editorial articles, but in a recent one he tried to find some perspective along the lines of "these things go in cycles.....we may not be at the bottom of ours yet, but our turn will come again".

I am not sure I share that sanguine view. For every Liverpool there is a Preston - a genuinely massive club in their day but who are never going to recapture past glories. Huddersfield, Villa, Newcastle and Leeds may not seem like big clubs now but if you care to look at the history books they were once giants of the game. And Spurs fans from the 60s have waited a little while for their time to come round again. Just because our hollow shell of a club still has the name Arsenal, it doesn't mean we will sort t out any time soon, or ever.

I fear this is more than just a blip in our proud history like the mid 70s or mid 80s. At best it is the Arsenal of the late 50s and early 60s. At worst, we are on our way to becoming as obsolete as once proud Preston.
i posted on here a few years ago that we were turning into Newcastle.
like us they won 3 FA Cups in quick succession in the 1950s, and then nothing, although their fans still turn up in huge numbers.

I'm getting to the point where i think we should look forward to the Europa League game next week - it could be our last appearance in Europe for years.

oaodan

Post by oaodan »

Bradywasking wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:19 am
goonersid wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:54 am
Redarmy wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:15 am
oaodan wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:34 pm
80 million on Pepe and Luiz was some bit of business.Reckon Luiz could do a lot to take a team down.
Everyone was raving about Luiz at the time saying what a good signing....
I wasn’t
Neither was I....
Complete madness for a club crying out for a centre back to sign a centre back who doesn't really like defending,never has.He has been found out everywhere he has been for his defending.Grand maybe if u have Adams to talk him through the game when he is dozing, but not with our current shite defenders.Lampard pulled a good stunt getting him out the door,something we couldnt do with Ozil.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Does anybody think there's a clause in Luizs contract that he has to play every PL game :lol: :lol:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

oaodan wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:20 am
Bradywasking wrote:
goonersid wrote:
Redarmy wrote:
oaodan wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:34 pm
80 million on Pepe and Luiz was some bit of business.Reckon Luiz could do a lot to take a team down.
I wasn’t
Neither was I....
Complete madness for a club crying out for a centre back to sign a centre back who doesn't really like defending,never has.He has been found out everywhere he has been for his defending.Grand maybe if u have Adams to talk him through the game when he is dozing, but not with our current shite defenders.Lampard pulled a good stunt getting him out the door,something we couldnt do with Ozil.
The chav fucker was just coming here as a convient last contract before retiring back to Brazil....he dont give a fuck about the Arsenal...

watching him jog back to cover an attack is maddening....

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Redarmy wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:23 am
oaodan wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:20 am
Bradywasking wrote:
goonersid wrote:
Redarmy wrote:

I wasn’t
Neither was I....
The chav fucker was just coming here as a convient last contract before retiring back to Brazil....he dont give a fuck about the Arsenal...

watching him jog back to cover an attack is maddening....
Fuck him right off out of our Club, while your at it take that big german coward off the bench as well, fucking yes man

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

SPARKSY wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:27 am
Natural Born Gooner wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:56 pm
David Dein should be hanging his head in shame for bringing that useless Yank cunt Kroenke to our football club!
Spot on. People singing DD praises, what a great Arsenal man he was, yet they fail to see what he has done.

David Dein did some great things for the Arsenal before he eventually lost the power struggle in the boardroom. We'll never really know what he was trying to broker out of wiggy but ultimately he failed in that respect and it's easy to take a pop after the event.

Without Dein we'd probably have still been piddling about in midtable for years and you can forget the good times we experienced. For starters you wouldn't have been watching DB10 without Dein......ya think Rioch was really behind that :roll: He brought in TOF too as I recall....you can't always have it both ways folks.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

the decline set in once David Dein left - that's a fact.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Relegation form..

Herd

Post by Herd »

We are indeed in a relegation battle, and in a relegation battle you need to be able to scrap.
We have no scrapers, the Ozil virus has contaminated the entire team.
Hate to say it but zi can see them turning to Wenger for an interim manager.
Of course all of this could have been avoided if the referee had awarded one of the many 1st half penalties we should have been awarded.

augie

Post by augie »

Taking the piss to a whole new level

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... -Ljungberg

Love to see him try that under a manager like simeone :roll: :oops:

augie

Post by augie »

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

Taking a call- since when did a call from his agent mean a call of nature. :twisted: :(

What a complete shambles. Im so angry right now.

CloakedGooner

Post by CloakedGooner »

augie wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:08 pm

Absolute :censored: away panning a shite while we are getting beat :banghead:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Bring back Emery. Its the players that are useless not the manager. Diabolical performance.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

augie wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:08 pm

Freddie admits he didn't even notice he went off the pitch for a few minutes. I don't know who cones out worse in that statement. Freddie for not being aware of his players whereabouts, or the players non-performance.