Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

Nos89

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure?

Post by Nos89 »

Arteta 1 Ancelotti 3.

Wonder who will accumulate more points in the second half of the season?

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

Xhaka's agent has all but confirmed that his client is joining Hertha Berlin in January. So that's one less stick to beat Arteta with.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

SydneyGooner wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:02 am
Xhaka's agent has all but confirmed that his client is joining Hertha Berlin in January. So that's one less stick to beat Arteta with.
Bastard, selling the crowd favourite :box:

augie

Post by augie »

SydneyGooner wrote:

I have a feeling that arteta will be giving us loads more sticks to beat him with :roll:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

SydneyGooner wrote:
Thank fuck for that.

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

augie wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:30 am
SydneyGooner wrote:

I have a feeling that arteta will be giving us loads more sticks to beat him with :roll:
Sadly I have to agree with you there. Still getting rid of Xhaka is a good start. The Turkish Bogarde will see out his contract not much anybody can do about that.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Lads whether we think he’s the right appointment or not can we at least try and not become Arsenal Mong TV around here and write him off after 3 training sessions and 90 minutes in charge :banghead:

Fucking hell if this time next season we’re still in the shit then cut loose by all means but give the guy a chance for Christ sake.

He’s walked in to a club on his knees, he’s not gonna turn it all around in a week.

augie

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:22 pm
Lads whether we think he’s the right appointment or not can we at least try and not become Arsenal Mong TV around here and write him off after 3 training sessions and 90 minutes in charge :banghead:

Fucking hell if this time next season we’re still in the shit then cut loose by all means but give the guy a chance for Christ sake.

He’s walked in to a club on his knees, he’s not gonna turn it all around in a week.

Fair enough rodders, but when you see a team-sheet with xhaka and ozil starting, how confident are you in his judgement and ability to turn things around ? We can all debate all we like about ozil's talent/workrate/production/wages, but xhaka's "fcuk off" comments to the fans should have been the death knoll for him at the club, and yet we now see consecutive managers restoring him to the starting line up :evil: There are things that are forgiveable and there are things that are not ........ that is in the latter category, and everytime I see him on the pitch I feel that it is a massive slap in the face for the fans :cussing: :cussing:
If xhaka is allowed fcuk off in january, then it might be best for all concerned, cos if he stays and is continually being selected, then I'm not sure arteta will ever gain my respect

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Ideally Xhaka should never have played for the club again after the fuck off incident but in the modern world players are assets and binning him to the reserves would have seen his value plummet and made the prospect of getting him out the door ASAP that much harder to boot.

I think the second that incident took place the wheels were put in motion for a January departure and that’s what’s gonna happen so the end justifies the means for me.

Augie, it’s the most hectic time of the season, 3 games in 6 days. Arteta couldn’t walk in the door and burn the place to the ground like we’d all like because there’s a danger the whole thing could sink further into the shit (if that’s even possible) if he tried that. The only option open to him was the clean slate approach, where every player, no matter what had previously gone down, all started on an even keel.

Like Xhaka I’d also have Ozil out the door in the morning but Arteta said he’s been impeccable in training and we saw more from him in the 70 odd minutes yesterday than we have in the rest of this season combined so maybe the approach will bear fruit. Let’s hope so anyway.

Likewise Nelson gets the nod over Pepe, despite being completely out of form, which says to me that Pepe isn’t grafting in training. However when Pepe did come on he showed serious hunger to get on the ball and get involved a lot which I haven’t seen from him before so on that evidence he at least looks like he’s responded to being left out rather than giving off a not being arsed vibe like I’ve felt off him before.

I just think we need to cool the jets and see how the next 5 months and ALL of next season pan out before losing our minds. I saw more than a few green shoots of recovery from us yesterday but it’s a hell of journey back from where we are to where we’d like to be.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

It seems Arteta is going to be demanding a lot from the players. Some will just leave naturally because they don't want to be worked so hard. It'll be interesting to see who those players are. Ozil seems to thrive when more is being demanded from him so he won't walk away, but it'll be interesting to see how he performs in matches. He has the capability to do for us what David Silva does for city, and Arteta would've seen how Pep managed him.
Nelson might be Arteta's Project Sterling v2.0 so we might see him start more often.
Early signs are positive. We have to be reasonable at this stage of the season because the games come thick and fast.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Being realistic I was reasonably happy with the performance. I've never been overly convinced by Torreira but he looked a different player as he was let loose to do a DM role. There was more intensity to our game and some of the early closing down in numbers was way more Pep than Unai in style. There was an effort to play the ball forwards quickly more often too which was encouraging, The approach was far from consistent but there were some positive signs and it will take time to get it right. We could also do with deciding on a front line asap as we need to achieve more consistency there although that will depend on who extends their contract and who doesn't.

The kids need time to adapt not only to the first team but now to another new coach so I think to have a pop at them now is unfair imo. Sako's crossing was abysmal at times but he's having to play LB for the team and that has got to be effecting his game. Nelson had one or two good moments running at opponents and with a bit of support and coaching may well come good but he too needs to be given time. It's actually a shame that we don't have a couple of simpler home games for Arteta to try and start bringing things together rather than the chavs and manure which the kids will also maybe find more intimidating.

augie

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:21 pm
Ideally Xhaka should never have played for the club again after the fuck off incident but in the modern world players are assets and binning him to the reserves would have seen his value plummet and made the prospect of getting him out the door ASAP that much harder to boot.

I think the second that incident took place the wheels were put in motion for a January departure and that’s what’s gonna happen so the end justifies the means for me.

Augie, it’s the most hectic time of the season, 3 games in 6 days. Arteta couldn’t walk in the door and burn the place to the ground like we’d all like because there’s a danger the whole thing could sink further into the shit (if that’s even possible) if he tried that. The only option open to him was the clean slate approach, where every player, no matter what had previously gone down, all started on an even keel.

Like Xhaka I’d also have Ozil out the door in the morning but Arteta said he’s been impeccable in training and we saw more from him in the 70 odd minutes yesterday than we have in the rest of this season combined so maybe the approach will bear fruit. Let’s hope so anyway.

Likewise Nelson gets the nod over Pepe, despite being completely out of form, which says to me that Pepe isn’t grafting in training. However when Pepe did come on he showed serious hunger to get on the ball and get involved a lot which I haven’t seen from him before so on that evidence he at least looks like he’s responded to being left out rather than giving off a not being arsed vibe like I’ve felt off him before.

I just think we need to cool the jets and see how the next 5 months and ALL of next season pan out before losing our minds. I saw more than a few green shoots of recovery from us yesterday but it’s a hell of journey back from where we are to where we’d like to be.

I look at him selecting nelson over pepe and see a manager that believes in giving youth a chance in the belief that he can get them to develop under him, and I wonder why he isn't employing the same mentality when it comes to guendouzi - I see in him a young guy that could be a really good player for many years to come if he gets coached properly, and then I wonder why arteta (who played the position himself) opts to play a guy that the fans don't want and who he himself doesn't want to be there :? Guendouzi has played far more good games in the 18 months he has been with us, than xhaka has in three and a half years with us :evil:

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:49 pm
It seems Arteta is going to be demanding a lot from the players. Some will just leave naturally because they don't want to be worked so hard. It'll be interesting to see who those players are. Ozil seems to thrive when more is being demanded from him so he won't walk away, but it'll be interesting to see how he performs in matches. He has the capability to do for us what David Silva does for city, and Arteta would've seen how Pep managed him.
Nelson might be Arteta's Project Sterling v2.0 so we might see him start more often.
Early signs are positive. We have to be reasonable at this stage of the season because the games come thick and fast.

What the fcuk are you basing that on ?? :? Has he ever thrived since he joined us ? In the early stages when he joined us he was doing well (especially when you factor in the donkeys we had playing around him :oops: ), but I could never say that "he thrived" even back then. He has never had demands put on him since he joined - that's not his fault cos it was never wenger's way to make demands on his players, but it still leads me back to my original question of what you are basing that statement on ?
There is a world of difference between ozil and david silva - david silva has ALWAYS had the work-rate to match his undoubted class, and even in his pomp ozil was never a hard worker. Ozil wont walk away cos he is on 350k per week - you can try to dress it up with any excuse or defence you want, but he wont go anywhere else if it involves a drop in wages

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

rodders999 wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:22 pm

Spot on Rodders. He will need time and every decision he makes will either earn him more time or cost him time!
If Xhaka and Ozil leave in January then he will have bought himself free reign until the end of the season!

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

I love the way everyone talks like we just have so much time....try this, try that, all the time in the world to get things right. Can anyone even remember when we were down in the bottom half of the table.....not having momentarily slipped to 11th, but looking, with the games coming up, rooted there, and in real danger of slipping even lower.

And the only reason Ozil was OK against Bournemouth is because they insanely gave him as much space and time as he needed. Ramsey also always looked like a great player when there was no pressure and he had loads of time. Hell even Xhaka looked Ok'ish on Thursday in that pressure free midfield.