Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

Jock Gooner

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure?

Post by Jock Gooner »

NickF wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:27 am
wibble wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:01 am
NickF wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:04 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:24 pm
What I dont get is why people think Ancellotti didnt just tell us to get to fuck after he was spoken to.
You seriously believe that? I know people on here seem to hate on us and want us to fail, but our money is as good to Ancelotti as anyone. Maybe (rightly or wrongly) we wanted Arteta and didn't approach him??
Although Everton’s money is even better for him, reported to be earning around 5m per year more than Arteta. That might have been when he told us to fuck off.
That and when he saw the two different transfer budgets I’d imagine
Of course he is on more money than Arteta- he is an experienced manager. Wenger at the time was one of the highest paid managers so we're not exactly the paupers some would have us believe.

Obviously a big transfer budget helps but as Leicester and to a certain extent Wolves and Sheffield are proving it is also about getting the right players and getting the best out of them.
Our Board wouldn't have the balls to appoint Ancelotti even if he wanted the job and we were prepared to pay for him because they wouldn't be able to control him in the same way that they can Arteta. Arteta will toe the party line however I think Ancelotti would have been at loggerheads pretty quickly with the board when it came to transfer money.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

He is just a modern day version of Andre Santos. Overweight and no interest in defending. Part of the reason that he gets off so lightly is because he is normally not even in the frame whilst the likes of Mustafi and co are making fools of themselves.

It’s not even like he is good going forwards. Despite playing as a winger when we are attacking and starting three quarters of games, he has chipped in with 0 goals and 2 assists this year. He just steaks forward and then whacks the ball aimlessly and as hard as possible.

NickF

Post by NickF »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:56 pm
Our Board wouldn't have the balls to appoint Ancelotti even if he wanted the job and we were prepared to pay for him because they wouldn't be able to control him in the same way that they can Arteta.
In what way are the board controlling Arteta?

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

NickF wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:18 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Our Board wouldn't have the balls to appoint Ancelotti even if he wanted the job and we were prepared to pay for him because they wouldn't be able to control him in the same way that they can Arteta.

They are his bosses of course they will exert control over him.

What I am saying is let's see if Arteta steps out of line if (when) he doesn't get the financial backing he needs to turn the team around. Do you really think that Arteta will kick up a stink if he is shortchanged when it comes to transfers....I can't see it personally.

NickF

Post by NickF »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:23 pm
NickF wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:

What I am saying is let's see if Arteta steps out of line if (when) he doesn't get the financial backing he needs to turn the team around. Do you really think that Arteta will kick up a stink if he is shortchanged when it comes to transfers....I can't see it personally.
But if Ancelotti was the manager they are still his bosses.

Unless you're at one of the oil rich clubs you are going to have to work to a budget - even Mourinho will have to now, as will Ancelotti.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

NickF wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:52 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:23 pm
NickF wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:

But if Ancelotti was the manager they are still his bosses.

Unless you're at one of the oil rich clubs you are going to have to work to a budget - even Mourinho will have to now, as will Ancelotti.
Yes, not disputing that.... imo Ancelotti would be far more demanding of our board than Arteta will be. Arteta will cause our board fewer headaches than Ancelotti potentially would.

Christ just think of your own work, the employees who cause me the most grief are the experienced old hands who can't be fobbed off with the bullshit that the younger staff can be. Same principle.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

NickF wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:27 am
wibble wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:01 am
NickF wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:04 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:24 pm
What I dont get is why people think Ancellotti didnt just tell us to get to fuck after he was spoken to.
You seriously believe that? I know people on here seem to hate on us and want us to fail, but our money is as good to Ancelotti as anyone. Maybe (rightly or wrongly) we wanted Arteta and didn't approach him??
Although Everton’s money is even better for him, reported to be earning around 5m per year more than Arteta. That might have been when he told us to fuck off.
That and when he saw the two different transfer budgets I’d imagine

Of course he is on more money than Arteta- he is an experienced manager. Wenger at the time was one of the highest paid managers so we're not exactly the paupers some would have us believe.

Obviously a big transfer budget helps but as Leicester and to a certain extent Wolves and Sheffield are proving it is also about getting the right players and getting the best out of them.
Nick the point I was making isnt just about the money, wages, transfer budget etc. He is a very experienced Manager, and we fans tend to live in a bit of a bubble, we see things from the inside looking out and things look dire enough from where we are, now imagine looking from the outside in as an experienced manager, things will look as bad if not worse.

Taking into account the squad, the league position, potential lack of transfer funds, interference from the little empire builders at board level, frustrated fan base, disillusioned players, disinterested remote owner, club structure etc etc any Manager in their right mind is going to think twice before taking us on in our current state, it really is a poisoned chalice right now.

We'll never know the truth of it but just maybe if Ancellotti had discussions with both clubs he put two and two together and decided that Everton was potentially a better choice overall. We really need to start getting our head round the fact it may not just be the squad that's the problem but everything added together and maybe this is why a better class of manager is less interested in us.

The viewpoint of the footballing world outside England of our predicament may be worse than we think. That may even be a realisation already made by those at the club and that is why Arteta became their obvious choice because they didnt feel able or had no intention (more likely) to meet the expectations of a higher level of Manager.

From my point of view we should have moved heaven and earth to get someone better than Arteta but we didnt and the club should be asked serious questions why, but no-one with any real influence will.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Watford the latest club to prove right man, right moment model. I don't suppose for a minute when they had Silva, Flores or any of the other Johnny Foreigners that the fans were dreaming of Nigel Pearson.....but there he is digging them out of the impossible, as he did at Leicester.

augie

Post by augie »

augie wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:59 pm
Is it too late to approach nigel pearson ? :rubchin: :wink: :lol: :lol:

And the pearson bounce continues on 8)

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

He’s pretty much made every player better which is the job of a manager I know but fair fucks anyway.
Last edited by rodders999 on Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

Seems the players are slowly buying into his way of doing things.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Well that is a marker of performance for Arteta. Admittedly, against an average Man Utd team but in all honesty apart from city and Liverpool, the rest of the premier league teams are average. Its just we've been well below average for a majority of the season. We could be 5th by the end of January if the team continues to perform like that.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

What a shame we aren't further up the table, Manure the Spuds and Chelski are all capable of a wobble and we are slowly improving.

Unfortunately with our personnel we are too, but give Arteta his dues he clearly is in the same mould as Pep and Klopp rather than Maureen in terms of management style. We should be thankful for that.

I wasn't happy with his appointment, but the players seem to be buying into what he is trying to achieve. As a fan in the circumstances, you can't ask for more than that until he is backed in the transfer market. Then make a proper judgement when his team is on the pitch.

One thing I noticed about our play from the back yesterday, there is the option to go long if our defenders are being closed down. We never saw that from either Emery of Freddie in previous games, the ball had to transition into midfield from short passes which quite often meant us losing possession close to our goal.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:11 pm
Watford the latest club to prove right man, right moment model. I don't suppose for a minute when they had Silva, Flores or any of the other Johnny Foreigners that the fans were dreaming of Nigel Pearson.....but there he is digging them out of the impossible, as he did at Leicester.
Give the ignorant cùnt time - he'll get them relegated. Or wrangle a release/sacking with compo for himself just before they are relegated. :wink:

Wasn't one of his many sackings a week after he failed to discipline his scumbag son and mates for the infamous "racist orgy" (copyright The Sun :D )?

Just another arrogant shit manager with ideas way above his station and ability. The fucktard even has his own website touting for work ffs! :lol:

This obsession you have with key members of the Shit Manager's Merry-go-round is worrying SteveO. You didn't get a bang on the head or something did you mate? :D :wink:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Can we cut Arteta a bit of slack now, hes the manager and hes here to stay for foreseeable future

No doubt he is getting a tune out of some of these players that were thought uncapabale of that level of performance

Lets see if we can sustain these performances...only 3 points behind the scum :D

Of course its a big gamble, but long shots do come in sometimes