Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

Jock Gooner

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure?

Post by Jock Gooner »

Clash wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:10 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:10 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:12 pm

Are all these Arteta songs going to involve rhyming "hair" with "he don't care"? :lol: :wink:
Sorry but of far greater importance is the requirement for a good Martinelli song. Last night it was the old Pigbag tune which is hardly creative. This guy is gonna be great so let's not saddle the poor fuc.ker with a song that's half cocked. The worst song ever continues to be the Laca chant - whoever came up with that bollox is a useless cu.nt.
yeah that Laca chant is 100% worst song and chant ever Jock. Modern music is as bad as modern football IMO - absolute shite for the most part! But it was always gonna happen that something like that would find its way into the game :banghead: Completely agree about the Pigbag song too. I had enough of that one back in the Sol Campbell days!

Chart music from any era rarely works for football crowds. The best football tunes will always be from hymns - which were made for community singing I suppose.

And talking of an Arteta song brings me to what I heard last night. Remember the old ''whooaah, you're shit aaaaah'' thing crowds used to do when the keeper was taking a goal-kick? Well some bloke behind me last night did that a few times but instead it was ''Arrrrrr-tetttt-aaaaaah' :banghead: :banghead: If that catches on I'm done! Wenger didnt finish me and neither has Stan .... but that almost certainly will! :censored:
WOW :shock: Really ? Poor old Ospina has to carry the can for that one I guess - guilt by association :lol:

There are a couple of 30 somethings who sit behind me one of whom speaks fluent bollox so we just bugger off to spare seats when the bs level gets too much to deal with. Works quite well, first half in the clock end and off to the NB for the second half :lol:

Ernie71

Post by Ernie71 »

NickF wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:14 pm
Clash wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:32 am

I am quietly encouraged with what little we have seen of Arteta so far but if he really is to succeed in the long term it will not be with the majority of the players we currently have. I would say at least half will need to go, maybe even more than that.
I agree, however it will take quite a few transfer windows to replace half the squad. With football the way it is now, I'm not sure Arteta will be afforded that amount of time.
But he could have got rid of Xhaka now Hertha actually wanted the shit bag but Arteta has kept hold of him and that is a worry.I think most Gooners have given Arteta a free ride for the rest of the season.But if Ozil Xhaka Sokratis and Luiz are still in the starting line up next August serious questions will need to be asked

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Who are you asking , Arteta the coach or Sanhelli the holder of the purse strings ?
Or for that matter Kroenke holder of the purse

GTG

Post by GTG »

One thing I'm pretty sure of with Arteta is that he will not be as stubborn or stupid as the previous 2 managers.

He's a young manager trying to make a name for himself in the game and he is not going to continually persist with players that are not good enough unless he has no choice.

If those players mentioned are still lining up for us next season then it will confirm what most of us already know and that is that there isn't a single shred of ambition at this club.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

I still dont see what the last 3 managers have seen in Xhaka, you can almost understand it with Wenger the guy was a class A nutjob by the end and probably should have been wheeled off to Broadmoor as soon as he was gotten rid of but by all accounts Emery was supposed to be an excellent judge of players especially with statistics, Xhaka's must have been negative surely, Freddie I can understand in a way but now Arteta 'seems' to be in favour of him too........

I'm probably in a minority of one here but there has to be more to it than meets the eye with Xhaka even most of the pundits can now see how bad he is so how the Managers cant I dont know. I'm beginning to wonder if there are some major corporate deals or something that link him to the club that we just cant afford to lose. :rubchin:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:53 pm
I still dont see what the last 3 managers have seen in Xhaka, you can almost understand it with Wenger the guy was a class A nutjob by the end and probably should have been wheeled off to Broadmoor as soon as he was gotten rid of but by all accounts Emery was supposed to be an excellent judge of players especially with statistics, Xhaka's must have been negative surely, Freddie I can understand in a way but now Arteta 'seems' to be in favour of him too........

I'm probably in a minority of one here but there has to be more to it than meets the eye with Xhaka even most of the pundits can now see how bad he is so how the Managers cant I dont know. I'm beginning to wonder if there are some major corporate deals or something that link him to the club that we just cant afford to lose. :rubchin:
The only thing he does well is a cross field diagonal ball to left wing.

Apart from that he can’t tackle (properly), gives away free kicks, possession, puts team mates under pressure, etc, etc
Has no pace, no great engine on him to get up and down a la Ramsey, no good footwork a la Santi, doesn’t dictate the pace of the game a la Cesc .....in short it’s a real head scratcher to me too.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:53 pm

It's either something like that or...... apart from Dick and Wenger (who both stuck with the useless crunt waaaaay too long) it could be that Freddie and Arteta have said to the players "right everyone starts with a clean slate - impress me or I drop you".

Possible I suppose. :rubchin:

Freddie wasn't there long enough for us to know but if Arteta is still starting this walking liability in March then it must be a financial thing surely? Or Xhakatard swallows. :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Regarding Dick and Wenger I think they persisted with Xhakatard because they were both quite stubborn and single minded. The media and the fans weren't going to tell them how to do their job no sir...... a definite case of cutting off their noses to spite their faces. :roll:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:56 am
Regarding Dick and Wenger I think they persisted with Xhakatard because they were both quite stubborn and single minded. The media and the fans weren't going to tell them how to do their job no sir...... a definite case of cutting off their noses to spite their feaces. :roll:

:shock:

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Currently available as alternatives since Emery went :- Ceballos ( injured ) Maitland - NIles ( covering at full back )
Willock and Smith -Rowe ( Young inexperiened but getting time on pitch)
This leaves Xhaka , Ozil , Guendouzi and Torreira. to perm 3 from 4. unless you bring Luiz or Chambers ( injured ) forward
Not a lot of choice really and only by buying can he get more to choose from given that Torreira should be there until he drops.
Both Freddie and Arteta had to work with what they have and until Sanllehi gets his act together there is no point in complaining about who gets selected.

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:49 am
wibble wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:46 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:13 am
augie wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:04 pm
Changing the formation after our first win in yonks is the type of thing that emery would have been panned for, and yet nobody mentioned it all :roll:
Ludicrous decision imo
I'd imagine something popped up in training that made him decide to change it slightly to accomodate the players that he would be starting with. For me (if that is what happened) that's a huge positive. Wenger and Dick (to a lesser extent) were obsessed with wedging players into a system that many of the players were not suited to. A pragmatic manager looks at the players he has and picks the system / formation to get the best he can out of the players rather than rigidly sticking to a system and forcing players into it regardless of their ability to play in that system.
Like sticking Sokratis at right back for example. :D

I’m not sure there was any change in our formation/system tbh
In fairness to Sokratis apart from getting overlapped a couple of times he did ok there and offered more fight and grit than any RB since Dicko.

Tbh it looked to me like he was playing a flexible back 3 that could shift one player over to become a 4 with cover for the backs depending on which side we were attacking or defending. Kind of a little bit like the flexibility GG used to do where Bouldy or TA6 and the other full back would all move over one place to help out Dicko or Nutty as required.

Also not having the work rate of Torreira in front of the defence would dictate how they position themselves.
That's harsh on Lauren :?

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:56 am
Regarding Dick and Wenger I think they persisted with Xhakatard because they were both quite stubborn and single minded. The media and the fans weren't going to tell them how to do their job no sir...... a definite case of cutting off their noses to spite their faces. :roll:
And let's not forget Wenger was the one who bought him. That basically equates to a job for life. Otherwise it means Wenger made a mistake and everyone knows that has not, and will not, ever happen.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

gooner265 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:57 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
wibble wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:04 pm
Changing the formation after our first win in yonks is the type of thing that emery would have been panned for, and yet nobody mentioned it all :roll:
Ludicrous decision imo
I'd imagine something popped up in training that made him decide to change it slightly to accomodate the players that he would be starting with. For me (if that is what happened) that's a huge positive. Wenger and Dick (to a lesser extent) were obsessed with wedging players into a system that many of the players were not suited to. A pragmatic manager looks at the players he has and picks the system / formation to get the best he can out of the players rather than rigidly sticking to a system and forcing players into it regardless of their ability to play in that system.

In fairness to Sokratis apart from getting overlapped a couple of times he did ok there and offered more fight and grit than any RB since Dicko.

Tbh it looked to me like he was playing a flexible back 3 that could shift one player over to become a 4 with cover for the backs depending on which side we were attacking or defending. Kind of a little bit like the flexibility GG used to do where Bouldy or TA6 and the other full back would all move over one place to help out Dicko or Nutty as required.

Also not having the work rate of Torreira in front of the defence would dictate how they position themselves.
Honestly after I posted it I meant to go back in and name check Ralph. I expected augie to pull me up on that one tbh as I seem to recall he is/was a fan of Ralphs?

But yeah good call. Ralph was quality for a good while and hard as nails too. 8)

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:10 pm
gooner265 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
wibble wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Honestly after I posted it I meant to go back in and name check Ralph. I expected augie to pull me up on that one tbh as I seem to recall he is/was a fan of Ralphs?

But yeah good call. Ralph was quality for a good while and hard as nails too. 8)
Absolutely love his face when he pushed that donkeyfaced *word censored* at old Trafford

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:16 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:10 pm
gooner265 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
wibble wrote:

Absolutely love his face when he pushed that donkeyfaced *word censored* at old Trafford
We have some real mong JCL fans that still complain about being embarrassed by our players actions that day. :roll: I was fucking proud of them and overjoyed and actually enjoyed the jostle at the end more than the match! :lol: 8)

I have a framed high definition photo of Keown in the air over VanLongFace on my office wall at home. Arms outstretched like wings he looks like a particularly ugly evil vampire swooping. That was a team that could play and could fight for the right to play too. 8)