Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

DB10GOONER

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure?

Post by DB10GOONER »

For me it's defence first and foremost that has to be replaced almost to a man. You build from the back. The defence is the bedrock you build your team on.

Boomerang is a 20+ PL goal a season level striker if the supply is there so next priority for me would be a proper creator / number 10 or attacking midfielder to feed him and replace the past it Ozil (and free up at least half that crazy 350k a week). Ozil can still pull off a great 30 mins of sublime skill and vision but that is not enough. We need a younger (but experienced) player in there that can create the chances and run the tempo of the game. Smith-Rowe is nowhere near ready for that job and Willock quite possibly will never be ready for it.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

augie wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:10 am
Am I the only one who thinks that arteta has hung his captain out here ?

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... -max-meyer

The tackle doesn't look good in slow motion replay and I get that, but use the word "mistimed" or something along those lines instead of saying that it was a "nasty tackle" ffs. It seems that hodgson made more of an effort to defend auba than arteta did
Arteta can fuck off with his try hard antics.

The prick is fraud

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Loving the revolution !!!

Yesterday's performance made watching England friendlies look like a pleasure. Dire, boring, slow football with a bunch of leaderless fairies. There would have more entertaining games in the Isthmian League than that pile of turd served up yesterday

If we're restricted to the budget we've got, then get a fucking manager capable of working to it and getting results another way. There's a few out there

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:10 am

Yesterday's performance made watching England friendlies look like a pleasure. Dire, boring, slow football with a bunch of leaderless fairies. There would have more entertaining games in the Isthmian League than that pile of turd served up yesterday

If we're restricted to the budget we've got, then get a fucking manager capable of working to it and getting results another way. There's a few out there
I'm disappointed in you mate......................No-one watches England friendlies do they? :oops: :lol: :lol:

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:56 am
augie wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:10 am
Am I the only one who thinks that arteta has hung his captain out here ?

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... -max-meyer

The tackle doesn't look good in slow motion replay and I get that, but use the word "mistimed" or something along those lines instead of saying that it was a "nasty tackle" ffs. It seems that hodgson made more of an effort to defend auba than arteta did
Arteta can fuck off with his try hard antics.

The prick is fraud
Like someone said on here before,hes a breed of new PC/media friendly managers who wouldnt ever want to offend anyone,even Wenger would have said he hadn't seen it,not hung Auba out to dry for it,look at his reactions over the VAR decisions,not a word about them,he's just took them up the arse,he'll probably be very pragmatic about the Board when he has 19p to spend in the transfer window too.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

robbo10 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:10 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:

I'm disappointed in you mate......................No-one watches England friendlies do they? :oops: :lol: :lol:
I stopped a good few years back and never felt the need to return whilst I supported a team that could entertain me......but if that's the best they've got under the super coach then give me a mid-week borefest at Wembley any day of the week :D

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:15 pm
robbo10 wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:10 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:

I stopped a good few years back and never felt the need to return whilst I supported a team that could entertain me......but if that's the best they've got under the super coach then give me a mid-week borefest at Wembley any day of the week :D
:lol: :lol: :barscarf:

augie

Post by augie »

Don't want to keep harping on this, but at what stage are we gonna see the results of this improvement that so many of you keep talking about ? Another home game, against a promoted team, and yet another game where we couldn't secure 3 points. Already I can see comments coming back at me pointing out what a good season Sheffield united are having (especially away from home), but ffs this is Sheffield united - a team with 8 full internationals (for strong international teams too), cannot beat a team where the only international players are either Irish or Scottish :oops: :oops: Take a list of the teams we have failed to beat under arteta and again it isnt pretty viewing

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

In one breath you castigate Xhaka , Guendouzi , Kolasinac , Bellerin , Sokratis , Mustafi , Luiz etc . Then you criticise Arteta for not being able to turn them into worldbeaters .
He can only work with what he has and although just as frustrated , I can see that the organisation has improved but is let down by brain lapses from older players that are either unwilling or unable to learn the changes required.
As for the kids , they are just that :- kids , learning on the job .It took Klopp about 5 years to turn the Dippers round . No-one will turn our basket cases round in five minutes.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

I guess you can take a glass half full or glass half empty view on Arteta so far.
I am taking the optimistic approach so far, but with a warning that he might not be much of an upgrade on Emery.

the reasons I am optimistic are that you could argue we have been unlucky not to get all 12 points from the last 4 league matches.
we largely dominated the match v Chelsea, and lost. we did the same v Man United..and won. Fine margins.
we were then very unlucky v Palace. If we were wearing Liverpool shirts then of course Aubamayang would not have been sent off, and I think we would have overpowered them late on.
then Saturday, the harshest decsion we have faced all season. Of course it should have been a penalty. Get that, its 2-0 and game over.

the one thing about Arsenal this season is this. Yes we havent won much, but we are actually very hard to beat.
a slight improvement is needed and we will then start converting those draws into wins. 8)

cameron326

Post by cameron326 »

Three teams have won fewer games than us this season. Three! We’ve won fewer games than Burnley, Sheffield Utd and Palace. Nice to be joining Europe’s elite clubs at the bowl!

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

cameron326 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:53 am
Three teams have won fewer games than us this season. Three! We’ve won fewer games than Burnley, Sheffield Utd and Palace. Nice to be joining Europe’s elite clubs at the bowl!
and only three teams have lost fewer than us this season....
like I say you can take a glass half full or glass half empty view on how things are going.

worthing_gooner

Post by worthing_gooner »

The level of negativity on this thread defies belief. We could have any manager in the world and you miserable bastards would still expect him to win every game from now until the end of the season :lol:

In all seriousness, any successful team builds from the back and there's no doubt we have improved. We conceded from two defensive errors against Chelsea in his second game, but for the most part I thought we showed a level of control in that match that we haven't seen for years. We dominated United and were rightful winners and kept a clean sheet. We kept a clean sheet (albeit fortuitously) against Leeds. We conceded from a massive deflection against Palace and were a bit unfortunate not to win the game at the end. Against Sheffield United we should've had a stick on penalty to go 2-0 up.

Nobody is sitting here saying it's all rosy, but given that we've had no turnover in personnel yet and only six weeks of coaching, if you can't see this is an improvement from Emery when we conceded two goals v Southampton, Frankfurt, Norwich and Brighton back to back, then you need your eyes tested.

augie

Post by augie »

A11M11 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:47 am
In one breath you castigate Xhaka , Guendouzi , Kolasinac , Bellerin , Sokratis , Mustafi , Luiz etc . Then you criticise Arteta for not being able to turn them into worldbeaters .
He can only work with what he has and although just as frustrated , I can see that the organisation has improved but is let down by brain lapses from older players that are either unwilling or unable to learn the changes required.
As for the kids , they are just that :- kids , learning on the job .It took Klopp about 5 years to turn the Dippers round . No-one will turn our basket cases round in five minutes.

Kids ?? We had TWO kids (martinelli and saka) plus maitland-niles in last Saturday's starting line-up, and the rest are all full internationals :roll:

That highlighted part in continually used as an excuse for arteta, but was unacceptable when the previous manager was in charge - hypocritical for sure.

Btw nobody is expecting them to turn into world beaters overnight, but beating bournemouth, palace and sheffield united should be achievable even with these players :roll: When it comes to competing with the top teams I understand why we have dumbed down our expectations, but to dumb down our expectations against the smaller clubs is shameful imo

augie

Post by augie »

worthing_gooner wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:57 pm
The level of negativity on this thread defies belief. We could have any manager in the world and you miserable bastards would still expect him to win every game from now until the end of the season :lol:

In all seriousness, any successful team builds from the back and there's no doubt we have improved. We conceded from two defensive errors against Chelsea in his second game, but for the most part I thought we showed a level of control in that match that we haven't seen for years. We dominated United and were rightful winners and kept a clean sheet. We kept a clean sheet (albeit fortuitously) against Leeds. We conceded from a massive deflection against Palace and were a bit unfortunate not to win the game at the end. Against Sheffield United we should've had a stick on penalty to go 2-0 up.

Nobody is sitting here saying it's all rosy, but given that we've had no turnover in personnel yet and only six weeks of coaching, if you can't see this is an improvement from Emery when we conceded two goals v Southampton, Frankfurt, Norwich and Brighton back to back, then you need your eyes tested.

I think most will agree that the senior players downed tools on emery to drive him out of the club, so their restored commitment and effort would probably account for the improvements to which you refer.