Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

markyp

Re: The improved defence under Arteta.

Post by markyp »

Gunnersaurus wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:08 pm
Sorry mate, popped in here last week and must have met the more rose tinted brigade.

Nothing to see here then.
God you are so desperate for arteta to fail that we win and you still bitch about the defence!! So what we conceded 2 goals,we scored 3,won the match,those are the first 2 goals in 3 games. We got caught cold early on fair enough but so what,we fkin won! The rest of the game our defence were pretty good on very tired legs . You are seriously running out of things to bitch about

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

And to further the point......a bit like when Pep inherited a far superior defence to ours in 2016 but still ultimately one only good enough to finish a distant 3rd, getting banged 4-0 by Everton, 4-2 by Leicester, 3-1 by the Chavs and 2-0 against the vermin along the way.......kid yourself all day that Superman & the cone man coached such a massive improvement out of those players.......or.......

Spend £47m on Stones, £15m on Claudio Bravo, £35m on Ederson, £45m on Kyle Walker, £26m on Danilo, £49m on Mendy and £57m on Laporte

Once Stan does the same we'll be world beaters eh.......

markyp

Post by markyp »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:49 pm
And to further the point......a bit like when Pep inherited a far superior defence to ours in 2016 but still ultimately one only good enough to finish a distant 3rd, getting banged 4-0 by Everton, 4-2 by Leicester, 3-1 by the Chavs and 2-0 against the vermin along the way.......kid yourself all day that Superman & the cone man coached such a massive improvement out of those players.......or.......

Spend £47m on Stones, £15m on Claudio Bravo, £35m on Ederson, £45m on Kyle Walker, £26m on Danilo, £49m on Mendy and £57m on Laporte

I think that is more down to pep wanting his own players rather than hand me downs,he wants defenders that not only defend but can play as well,same with arteta,why do you think sokratis isnt playing regularly but saka is,same with luiz,that through ball yesterday is another reason luiz is in the team,he isnt an old fashioned stalwart defender ,those sort of players arent any good to pep or arteta

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Sorry but I'm gonna merge this with the Arteta thread. I don't have the time to mod this discussion (perceived improvement - or not - under Arteta) in two locations.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

markyp wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:04 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:49 pm

I think that is more down to pep wanting his own players rather than hand me downs,he wants defenders that not only defend but can play as well,same with arteta,why do you think sokratis isnt playing regularly but saka is,same with luiz,that through ball yesterday is another reason luiz is in the team,he isnt an old fashioned stalwart defender ,those sort of players arent any good to pep or arteta
I get that, and its all well and good but how many defenders of that ilk is our tight fisted, wig wearing c.unt going to let him sign? Saliba is a start and lets hope Tierney finally gets fit. Mustafi still isn't the answer, he clearly doesn't think Holding or Sokratis are either, and neither Ballerina Bellerin or AMN are proper right backs.....so he will need to make Cedric permanent or sign someone else there. If we then need to go out and replace Aubameyang's goals, I just don't know where we will get the money

Of those signings Pep made I'd say Bravo and Danilo were total duds and Stones highly questionable. At City you can make those expensive mistakes knowing you can write them off and he already Kompany and Otamendi in place. Arteta has inherited mostly shite and won't be able to make a single mistake

Darth Highbury

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure?

Post by Darth Highbury »

Hi,

Long time lurker and fan. This team was the worst I can remember since Terry Neil (yes I am that old) under Emery. I think Arteta deserves some credit as the team is now just shite instead of the genuine relegation fodder it was at the start of the season. He's improved the shape of the team (not hard) and most of the individuals that he's inherited. I get the sense from his pressers and interviews that the players are no way near where he wants them to be but he's being pragmatic and trying to get a tune out of what he's got. I like that he's giving youth a chance. I'm surprised as any that Mustafi, Xhaka and Ozil are regulars again. I was all for binning them off and still am at the seasons end but he's got limited resources. So until then he is doing what he can in the meantime. I think he speaks well and has a clear identity for the way he wants us to play. I believe I'm seeing signs of it but I don't think we are technically gifted to do it properly yet and probably not for a while until he coaches some of our younger players for a significant amount of time. Plus I thinks he needs a couple of windows to recruit better players. Unfortunately, I have no confidence in Wiggy and think we may be just stuck with the outcomes of project youth 2.0 and his coaching. Seeing some green shoots so he has my backing but early days yet.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Darth Highbury wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:06 pm
Hi,

Long time lurker and fan. This team was the worst I can remember since Terry Neil (yes I am that old) under Emery. I think Arteta deserves some credit as the team is now just shite instead of the genuine relegation fodder it was at the start of the season. He's improved the shape of the team (not hard) and most of the individuals that he's inherited. I get the sense from his pressers and interviews that the players are no way near where he wants them to be but he's being pragmatic and trying to get a tune out of what he's got. I like that he's giving youth a chance. I'm surprised as any that Mustafi, Xhaka and Ozil are regulars again. I was all for binning them off and still am at the seasons end but he's got limited resources. So until then he is doing what he can in the meantime. I think he speaks well and has a clear identity for the way he wants us to play. I believe I'm seeing signs of it but I don't think we are technically gifted to do it properly yet and probably not for a while until he coaches some of our younger players for a significant amount of time. Plus I thinks he needs a couple of windows to recruit better players. Unfortunately, I have no confidence in Wiggy and think we may be just stuck with the outcomes of project youth 2.0 and his coaching. Seeing some green shoots so he has my backing but early days yet.
Welcome aboard Darth Highbury.
You can spell and even do punctuation, you will be a welcome asset :barscarf:

John F

Post by John F »

Darth Highbury wrote:
Hi,

Agree with most of that Darth except the Terry Neil teams, I enjoyed watching them up until Brady left then it went downhill.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

StuartL wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:14 pm
Darth Highbury wrote:
Hi,

Welcome aboard Darth Highbury.
You can spell and even do punctuation, you will be a welcome asset :barscarf:
But only one paragraph, are you augies cousin :lol:

Welcome :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Darth Highbury wrote:
Hi,

Good well reasoned post Darth. Welcome on board.

I'd agree with nearly all of that. There is no quick fix to what Arteta inherited. The improvements are small but they are deffo there. He wasn't my choice but we have to give him time to see can he keep on improving us. Hopefully the bewigged parasite will back him financially but I ain't holding my breath.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Unfortunately I think Arteta will face a similar issue to Emery come the summer, that being a lack of takers or serious bids for certain players. The club will hasnt changed and the indecisiveness in making the call to offload for less money than perceived worth may hamper any rebuild.

It remains to be seen whether Arteta is himself happy to offload the usual suspects but I worry that even with the best of intentions he may not be able to :rubchin:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:07 pm
Unfortunately I think Arteta will face a similar issue to Emery come the summer, that being a lack of takers or serious bids for certain players. The club will hasnt changed and the indecisiveness in making the call to offload for less money than perceived worth may hamper any rebuild.

It remains to be seen whether Arteta is himself happy to offload the usual suspects but I worry that even with the best of intentions he may not be able to :rubchin:
This is still how I see it playing out - either no serious takers for the usual suspects / loss making sales to get rid off them coupled with no investment from the wiggy cu.nt. Net effect being that as Sanllehi runs out of clever financing deals and the working capital errodes, the options available to the manager continue to be squeezed.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:30 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:07 pm

This is still how I see it playing out - either no serious takers for the usual suspects / loss making sales to get rid off them coupled with no investment from the wiggy cu.nt. Net effect being that as Sanllehi runs out of clever financing deals and the working capital errodes, the options available to the manager continue to be squeezed.
Unfortunately I think you are both right in that we will not have the money to rebuild properly.

Of course there is also the risk that Arteta does not want to offload the overpaid Ozil or the utter gash Xhakatard and Mustafalaugh and that possibility terrifies me. :shock:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Arteta IS The Future (well at least till May 2022) :D

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

Teflon's honeymoon period is well and truly over.

Bring in an A-lister with the balls to turn this shower of shit round and coach defending - preferably Simeone.