Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

DB10GOONER

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure?

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:09 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:46 pm
The thing I think a couple of you lads are either entirely missing - or are just plain ignoring - is that the players we have on staff to replace those "senior players" are actually far worse players - with the exception of Martinelli obviously.

We have one of the worst weakest squads in our history at the moment.

AM-N, Willock, Nelson, the injured Chambers are all garbage of varying degrees at present and none of them are capable of stepping into that team and improving it right now. And some of them never will be.

Arteta is not experienced enough to find a solution to this but let's not rewrite the past ffs. We were complete shit under the likeable Emery. It's like last season's utter collapse in the easy PL run in and the debacle of the EL final and the completely shit chaos early this season never happened ! And hey let's not forget it was Dick that signed Pepe (the club record signing ffs) and Sideshow Chav too.

Torreira for xhaka and martinelli for either lacazette or pepe (take your pick), and the starting team is improved MASSIVELY. Personally I would argue for bringing in guendouzi alongside torreira and pushing ceballos up into ozil's position, but that is something that others would disagree with I know.
The problem with Torreira I think is he doesnt have an engine. He gives everything in a game but then seens to be slow and clumsy and off the pace in the next game. Not sure we could play him often enough to be effective.

Dozer has been a shadow of his former self this season augie. He has pissed away as much possession as Xhakatard. Ceballos does not have the vision or the passes in his game to replace the over the hill Ozil. We need better than Ceballos.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:28 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
The thing I think a couple of you lads are either entirely missing - or are just plain ignoring - is that the players we have on staff to replace those "senior players" are actually far worse players - with the exception of Martinelli obviously.

AM-N, Willock, Nelson, the injured Chambers are all garbage of varying degrees at present and none of them are capable of stepping into that team and improving it right now. And some of them never will be.

Arteta is not experienced enough to find a solution to this but let's not rewrite the past ffs. We were complete shit under the likeable Emery. It's like last season's utter collapse in the easy PL run in and the debacle of the EL final and the completely shit chaos early this season never happened ! And hey let's not forget it was Dick that signed Pepe (the club record signing ffs) and Sideshow Chav too.
The situation with the squad is no worse for Arteta than it was for Emery - yet again people discounting the arguments for Emery and awarding them to Arteta. 22 games unbeaten before season long injuries to two of the defenders in the backline plus Welbeck. What was the quality of the replacements like for him? Oh yeah the very same AMN and Mustafi that everyone discredits now.....poor Mikel eh. I seem to remember it was Dick who brought Martinelli too and gave him the platform that everyone now craves to see him on

Everyone just brings up the last few games of last season and the last 7 or so before he left this season - the fact that he got a worse squad than this one to within a whisker of the CL on two scores was a miracle. This imposter won't achieve that in three seasons let alone one. We're also in a lower position now this season than when Dick left. Unbelievable that the c.unts we were on the verge of getting rid of like Mustafi, Xhaka and Ozil are all now main stays - going backwards fast
Welwide? Fuck me him being fit or not made zero difference. The guy was proper shit.

Mate be honest you know it was far more than just the last few games of last season and the last 7 or so before he left this season that showed Emery wasn't up to the job. We were woeful under him for most of his spell. The 22 game unbeaten run was as much luck as anything. The players had no idea what he wanted. We had no system. That end of season collapse and the embarrassing rogering in the EL final were just symptoms of the wider problems under Dick.

You are comparing the position Dick "achieved" after a year and a half before he got sacked with the position Arteta has "achieved" in 10 games? Not really a level playing field that is it?

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:14 pm
augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Torreira for xhaka and martinelli for either lacazette or pepe (take your pick), and the starting team is improved MASSIVELY. Personally I would argue for bringing in guendouzi alongside torreira and pushing ceballos up into ozil's position, but that is something that others would disagree with I know.
The problem with Torreira I think is he doesnt have an engine. He gives everything in a game but then seens to be slow and clumsy and off the pace in the next game. Not sure we could play him often enough to be effective.

Dozer has been a shadow of his former self this season augie. He has pissed away as much possession as Xhakatard. Ceballos does not have the vision or the passes in his game to replace the over the hill Ozil. We need better than Ceballos.

Buddy, do you still stand by that ? Ozil has created the square root of fcuk all in the past 2 years - surely someone else has to be given a chance to at least match that "record" ? We (inc me) defended ozil for years when he was trying to create goals like bendtner and giroud, but he has had auba and laca (before he turned to dogshit) and still created fcuk all - at what stage do we decide that he is no longer going to be the creator we need, and push someone else in there ? Personally I would like to have put smith-rowe in there for a few months - he wouldn't be the answer right now, but give him a few months of regular starts to bed in and we might have the player we need, and like I say, ozil is not setting the performance bar high for him anyway. Seeing as smith-rowe is not in the building now, I would try Ceballos in the 10 so we can see if he is worth trying to sign

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

augie wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:36 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:14 pm
augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Buddy, do you still stand by that ? Ozil has created the square root of fcuk all in the past 2 years - surely someone else has to be given a chance to at least match that "record" ? We (inc me) defended ozil for years when he was trying to create goals like bendtner and giroud, but he has had auba and laca (before he turned to dogshit) and still created fcuk all - at what stage do we decide that he is no longer going to be the creator we need, and push someone else in there ? Personally I would like to have put smith-rowe in there for a few months - he wouldn't be the answer right now, but give him a few months of regular starts to bed in and we might have the player we need, and like I say, ozil is not setting the performance bar high for him anyway. Seeing as smith-rowe is not in the building now, I would try Ceballos in the 10 so we can see if he is worth trying to sign
I would agree that Ceballos is worth a try at 10.....what have we got to lose. He started brightly enough at the beginning and showed he had a lot more to his game than most of our midfield. You'd certainly get more effort out of him than Ozil so why not experiment a bit with the few options we have.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:24 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

The situation with the squad is no worse for Arteta than it was for Emery - yet again people discounting the arguments for Emery and awarding them to Arteta. 22 games unbeaten before season long injuries to two of the defenders in the backline plus Welbeck. What was the quality of the replacements like for him? Oh yeah the very same AMN and Mustafi that everyone discredits now.....poor Mikel eh. I seem to remember it was Dick who brought Martinelli too and gave him the platform that everyone now craves to see him on

Everyone just brings up the last few games of last season and the last 7 or so before he left this season - the fact that he got a worse squad than this one to within a whisker of the CL on two scores was a miracle. This imposter won't achieve that in three seasons let alone one. We're also in a lower position now this season than when Dick left. Unbelievable that the c.unts we were on the verge of getting rid of like Mustafi, Xhaka and Ozil are all now main stays - going backwards fast
Welwide? Fuck me him being fit or not made zero difference. The guy was proper shit.

Mate be honest you know it was far more than just the last few games of last season and the last 7 or so before he left this season that showed Emery wasn't up to the job. We were woeful under him for most of his spell. The 22 game unbeaten run was as much luck as anything. The players had no idea what he wanted. We had no system. That end of season collapse and the embarrassing rogering in the EL final were just symptoms of the wider problems under Dick.

You are comparing the position Dick "achieved" after a year and a half before he got sacked with the position Arteta has "achieved" in 10 games? Not really a level playing field that is it?
I love that comment! Always out of the mouths of those sucking Arteta's pipe after the marvellous 2020 unbeaten run which saw us draw with Crystal Palace, Burnley, Sheffield United, beat Leeds 1-0 after a first half dicking, and cling on for dear life to win 2-1 at Bournemouth Reserves

22 games of luck under Emery. 10 games of Barca-esque brilliance under the Cone Man - I do it love it round here sometimes :D

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:32 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

I love that comment! Always out of the mouths of those sucking Arteta's pipe after the marvellous 2020 unbeaten run which saw us draw with Crystal Palace, Burnley, Sheffield United, beat Leeds 1-0 after a first half dicking, and cling on for dear life to win 2-1 at Bournemouth Reserves

22 games of luck under Emery. 10 games of Barca-esque brilliance under the Cone Man - I do it love it round here sometimes :D
The unbeaten run under Emery was the most fortuitous run in football history! Wasteful opposition, offside goals, dreadful performances which somehow yielded wins.
And his failure to qualify for clge last season from the simplest of positions, was sackable on its own!
Emery was a fucking clown, which could possibly explain you’re continued defence of his reign!
Other than a couple of loan signings, none of this squad can be attributed to Arteta, as I said before Arteta needs a Summer transfer window, then if we don’t see a significant improvement, then we can question his future!
Thus far I still think he is getting more (no matter how little) out of Wenger and Emery’s mistakes!
Thursdays result was disappointing but with plge results this weekend going our way, I think there’s still a chance we can get clge football next season.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

goonersid wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:35 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

The unbeaten run under Emery was the most fortuitous run in football history! Wasteful opposition, offside goals, dreadful performances which somehow yielded wins.
And his failure to qualify for clge last season from the simplest of positions, was sackable on its own!
Emery was a fucking clown, which could possibly explain you’re continued defence of his reign!
Other than a couple of loan signings, none of this squad can be attributed to Arteta, as I said before Arteta needs a Summer transfer window, then if we don’t see a significant improvement, then we can question his future!
Thus far I still think he is getting more (no matter how little) out of Wenger and Emery’s mistakes!
Thursdays result was disappointing but with plge results this weekend going our way, I think there’s still a chance we can get clge football next season.
From the man who cheers against his 'own' team and celebrates his own players getting career threatening injuries

Ronald McDonald and Coco the Clown have got nothing on you!

Give it another few months and you'll be cheering for the opposition again no doubt.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:22 pm
goonersid wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

From the man who cheers against his 'own' team and celebrates his own players getting career threatening injuries

Give it another few months and you'll be cheering for the opposition again no doubt.
You really are a prize ballbag fucking wanker!

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

goonersid wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:27 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
goonersid wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Yeah, yeah. Truth hurts eh cockwomble?

The biggest wankers I've ever met at the Bowl still cheer for their own team. Not sure where that leaves you eh? Fucking melon

augie

Post by augie »

goonersid wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Emery was a fucking clown
, which could possibly explain you’re continued defence of his reign!

Sid, with the greatest of respect that is a load of bollox

For starters you say that arteta is getting more from this team - are you judging that on the basis of beating a shit manure team plus wins over leeds and everton, or on the basis of draws against Bournemouth, palace, Sheffield utd and burnley ?? Show me the overall stats from those games that back up your nonsense claims about getting more from them cos points and wins are certainly not better.

Secondly (and more importantly), I don't give a flying fcuk how fortuitous some of those results are, because it is a results business and he was getting them at that time. Are we only allowed to label emery lucky, or can we label arteta as lucky too, cos he was steeped that jay rodriguez (burnley) and the entire leeds teams are shit, cos otherwise both of those results would have been defeats too :roll:

This weekend we are all celebrating the preservation of the ONLY invinceable season but that season we had our fair share of luck too - pompey result anyone ? Are we that arrogant that we dont want lucky results or are willing to dismiss them ? Should we only be allowed get wins playing tika taka too, cos anything else is beneath us ?

Emery is a clown ? I dont think I have ever seen a manager getting tactically raped as much as arteta did at home v the chavs - I have seen wenger's inability to adapt to thuggish blanket defence football, but fat frank changed his gameplan mid-way through the first half at the grove and the teflon manager had zero answer to it. You tell me who looked like the clown that day

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:33 pm
goonersid wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
goonersid wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

The biggest wankers I've ever met at the Bowl still cheer for their own team. Not sure where that leaves you eh? Fucking melon
Well! Who put itchy powder in your fucking knickers?
You meet many wankers at the bowl? You must feel right at home, dickhead!
On cheering on the oppostion? I’ve never done that, but I have in the past believed that to remove cancers from the club, we needed to embrace pain and if that means losing games? Then so be it!
On celebrating “career threatening injuries” to our own players?
Unless it was that useless little c u n t Jackie wileshite? Then kindly refresh my memory!

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

goonersid wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:52 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
goonersid wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
goonersid wrote:

On cheering on the oppostion? I’ve never done that, but I have in the past believed that to remove cancers from the club, we needed to embrace pain and if that means losing games? Then so be it!
Unless it was that useless little c u n t Jackie wileshite? Then kindly refresh my memory!
My god.....still going on and on and on........remember that lad Ramsey. You've obviously forgotten you were even banned from here - seemingly most others think you're an absolute c.unt too. Thanks for mentioning Wilshere though - must have ignored the other time you did it, as I will do every infantile post you put on here from now on. Carry on shouting into a void though - I'm sure you'll find someone else on here eventually who buys into your warped sense of support. Until then may I suggest AFTV.....albeit I think Troopz probably has more articulate and insightful things to say about Arsenal than you

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:04 pm
goonersid wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
goonersid wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

My god.....still going on and on and on........remember that lad Ramsey. You've obviously forgotten you were even banned from here - seemingly most others think you're an absolute c.unt too. Thanks for mentioning Wilshere though - must have ignored the other time you did it, as I will do every infantile post you put on here from now on. Carry on shouting into a void though - I'm sure you'll find someone else on here eventually who buys into your warped sense of support. Until then may I suggest AFTV.....albeit I think Troopz probably has more articulate and insightful things to say about Arsenal than you
Banned for a post on Ramsey? I think you’ve got me mixed up with someone else! You fucking prick!
Anyway, I’m bored of you now and it’s time for Sunday Roast!
And was that your microwave that just went “ping”?

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

goonersid wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:26 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:04 pm
goonersid wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
goonersid wrote:

Banned for a post on Ramsey? I think you’ve got me mixed up with someone else! You fucking prick!
Anyway, I’m bored of you now and it’s time for Sunday Roast!
And was that your microwave that just went “ping”?
You refer it in your own post you absolute fucking tool and acknowledged the ban. Never mind - still got the Shawcross picture on your wall?

What a laughable c.unt you really are Sid....and clearly going senile too

augie

Post by augie »

Can ye two please knock it off ? Don't like to see two long term members on here bickering like this :cry: :cry: :cry: