Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

LeftfootlegendGooner

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure?

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

:roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nick Bendtners Ego

Post by Nick Bendtners Ego »

OK lads, looks like it's on!

Been onto a promoter mate and we can make it happen! An online Gooner Charity fight card!

So far this is what I've got so far.....

*Some Screechy cow from BT sports doing the commentery

* The 'Round' girl performed by Rodders in his 70's shorts and borrowed Natalie nipped tassels
( Thanks mate, your method training of walking in those 6 inch heels and butt plug to perfect the walk will be much appreciated by all the sick fu*cks on this forum and beyond)

* Herd on security if that's OK with you Mr Herd sir

* Novelty fight.... Dwarf Fight
DB10 x Onebard
Leather chaps and strap ons only please gentlemen. The all over baby oil corner men for this bout are the OG Leyton Orient banned bloke from a few years back (he who shall not be named) and Spuddy who by all accounts has got very soft knowing hands and curious fingers.

Undercard..... Leftfoot legend v Augie
Probably middle weight... Queensbury rules apply
Prediction... Augie to go down in the second
Round however Leftfoot not impressed with Augies deep throating technique, rabbit punches him but that big Culchie head barely flinches and the glare from the Augsters head momentarily blinds the hot favourite and allows Augie a chance to wield those shovel like hands borne from years of banging angrily on the PC to batter Leftfoot before those 16" guns :wink: catch him off guard and leave Augie with the IQ of a Xhaka.

Main bout of the night... Heavyweight
SteveO V Sid... MMA....
Prediction for The Jack Wiltshire perpetual (injured) Trophy...
SteveO to use his Diaby style to better effect than Sid who will try and maximise the darker Shawc*nt techniques to ruin his career. Battle of the OG giants with Veteran Sid, trying to live up to his bad boy persona whilst fans favourite SteveO trying to improve on Emerys.. Er I mean his stats of 25 w 13d 13l. No elbowing, no fisting and Sid, No Surrender :)

May the best man, woman, dwarf, tranny win!

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

1. I thought he was the wrong appointment at the time and I still think that. Ancelotti without a doubt.

2. He deserves a huge degree of patience for taking over such an average squad of job huge mentality issues and other unresolved issues e.g. Ozil, Aubameyang contract. Complete hospital pass even for a good manager.

3. I think we have been a bit better - in patches. However, United game aside we haven’t looked like putting in a performance for more than one half or to get it right at both ends of the pitch in the same game.

4. Any degree of patience or illusion of improvement is being torn to shreds but his insistence on playing Lacazette (whose performances have been a fucking disgrace) to shunt Aubameyang out wide and refusing to start Torreira despite him being our best CM under Arteta.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Nick Bendtners Ego wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:11 pm

Been onto a promoter mate and we can make it happen! An online Gooner Charity fight card!

* The 'Round' girl performed by Rodders in his 70's shorts and borrowed Natalie nipped tassels
( Thanks mate, your method training of walking in those 6 inch heels and butt plug to perfect the walk will be much appreciated by all the sick fu*cks on this forum and beyond)

DB10 x Onebard
Leather chaps and strap ons only please gentlemen. The all over baby oil corner men for this bout are the OG Leyton Orient banned bloke from a few years back (he who shall not be named) and Spuddy who by all accounts has got very soft knowing hands and curious fingers.

Round however Leftfoot not impressed with Augies deep throating technique, rabbit punches him but that big Culchie head barely flinches and the glare from the Augsters head momentarily blinds the hot favourite and allows Augie a chance to wield those shovel like hands borne from years of banging angrily on the PC to batter Leftfoot before those 16" guns :wink: catch him off guard and leave Augie with the IQ of a Xhaka.

SteveO V Sid... MMA....
SteveO to use his Diaby style to better effect than Sid who will try and maximise the darker Shawc*nt techniques to ruin his career. Battle of the OG giants with Veteran Sid, trying to live up to his bad boy persona whilst fans favourite SteveO trying to improve on Emerys.. Er I mean his stats of 25 w 13d 13l. No elbowing, no fisting and Sid, No Surrender :)

😁😁😁

Nice work fella. Got me all bleary eyed mentioning old twinkle toes Abou too !

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

DB10 x Onebard

SteveO V Sid... MMA....

:lol:

Brilliant, now can we all just get along :barscarf:

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

northbank123 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:34 pm
1. I thought he was the wrong appointment at the time and I still think that. Ancelotti without a doubt.

2. He deserves a huge degree of patience for taking over such an average squad of job huge mentality issues and other unresolved issues e.g. Ozil, Aubameyang contract. Complete hospital pass even for a good manager.

3. I think we have been a bit better - in patches. However, United game aside we haven’t looked like putting in a performance for more than one half or to get it right at both ends of the pitch in the same game.

4. Any degree of patience or illusion of improvement is being torn to shreds but his insistence on playing Lacazette (whose performances have been a fucking disgrace) to shunt Aubameyang out wide and refusing to start Torreira despite him being our best CM under Arteta.
Mate with respect I disagree with that statement. Any experienced manager, confident in his abilities and what he brings to a club would have made some demands, laid some ground rules before taking the job. Arteta did nothing to earn this job and he knows it.....he wouldn't have made any demands, being so grateful to get such a huge position in his first gig. If we didn't have such a dreadful owner and if Wenger hadn't left such an irreparable mess, Arteta would NEVER have been offered the job in the first place. If we know that, he does as well.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

I’m not saying we should be grateful to him. Like a huge proportion of our squad, he has found himself in a job and at a club he has no right to be at. My reference to patience was that people need to acknowledge that we are absolute dog shit and aren’t one good transfer window off challenging for the title next year. Patience means that we shouldn’t expect to be 2nd/3rd next year, not that we should be grateful to Arteta.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

xisstential wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:41 pm
northbank123 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:34 pm

Mate with respect I disagree with that statement. Any experienced manager, confident in his abilities and what he brings to a club would have made some demands, laid some ground rules before taking the job. Arteta did nothing to earn this job and he knows it.....he wouldn't have made any demands, being so grateful to get such a huge position in his first gig. If we didn't have such a dreadful owner and if Wenger hadn't left such an irreparable mess, Arteta would NEVER have been offered the job in the first place. If we know that, he does as well.
Whose mess is Arteta cleaning up?
By all accounts I was left under the impression it was the mess left behind by Emery, not wenger. I would say Emery made huge moves away from wenger. But made a complete fuck up of the last 5 games of last season and during the summer. He cleared out wenger's leaders Koscielny, Cech, Ramsey and Monreal.
Emery created his own mess by not exerting his authority as manager because his title was head coach and had the accountabilities of a head coach, not a manager.
Personally, a club needs a manager, not a head coach. It just undermines the managers authority. Leave transfer to a director of football, and leave footballing side to the manager. It may seem old fashioned but it is an industry that relies on titles and status. A manager manges his team, a coach coaches his team. The manager is supported by the coach.
The players do not have mentality issue in respect of being weak. Their strong mentality saw off Emery. The amount of time we've come back from going a goal or two behind shows that this team have strong characters. They do enough to get by, which isn't good enough for Arsenal and that comes from the board. Arteta can attempt to raise it but his expectations will extremely unfulfilled because the board are happy to coast along.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:32 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:24 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:28 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:46 pm
The thing I think a couple of you lads are either entirely missing - or are just plain ignoring - is that the players we have on staff to replace those "senior players" are actually far worse players - with the exception of Martinelli obviously.

We have one of the worst weakest squads in our history at the moment.

AM-N, Willock, Nelson, the injured Chambers are all garbage of varying degrees at present and none of them are capable of stepping into that team and improving it right now. And some of them never will be.

Arteta is not experienced enough to find a solution to this but let's not rewrite the past ffs. We were complete shit under the likeable Emery. It's like last season's utter collapse in the easy PL run in and the debacle of the EL final and the completely shit chaos early this season never happened ! And hey let's not forget it was Dick that signed Pepe (the club record signing ffs) and Sideshow Chav too.
The situation with the squad is no worse for Arteta than it was for Emery - yet again people discounting the arguments for Emery and awarding them to Arteta. 22 games unbeaten before season long injuries to two of the defenders in the backline plus Welbeck. What was the quality of the replacements like for him? Oh yeah the very same AMN and Mustafi that everyone discredits now.....poor Mikel eh. I seem to remember it was Dick who brought Martinelli too and gave him the platform that everyone now craves to see him on

Everyone just brings up the last few games of last season and the last 7 or so before he left this season - the fact that he got a worse squad than this one to within a whisker of the CL on two scores was a miracle. This imposter won't achieve that in three seasons let alone one. We're also in a lower position now this season than when Dick left. Unbelievable that the c.unts we were on the verge of getting rid of like Mustafi, Xhaka and Ozil are all now main stays - going backwards fast
Welwide? Fuck me him being fit or not made zero difference. The guy was proper shit.

Mate be honest you know it was far more than just the last few games of last season and the last 7 or so before he left this season that showed Emery wasn't up to the job. We were woeful under him for most of his spell. The 22 game unbeaten run was as much luck as anything. The players had no idea what he wanted. We had no system. That end of season collapse and the embarrassing rogering in the EL final were just symptoms of the wider problems under Dick.

You are comparing the position Dick "achieved" after a year and a half before he got sacked with the position Arteta has "achieved" in 10 games? Not really a level playing field that is it?
I love that comment! Always out of the mouths of those sucking Arteta's pipe after the marvellous 2020 unbeaten run which saw us draw with Crystal Palace, Burnley, Sheffield United, beat Leeds 1-0 after a first half dicking, and cling on for dear life to win 2-1 at Bournemouth Reserves

22 games of luck under Emery. 10 games of Barca-esque brilliance under the Cone Man - I do it love it round here sometimes :D
Not sure why you are getting so bent out of shape about this. I'm not sucking anyone's pipe mate. I don't think Arteta is up to the job. Not sure how often I need to say that before it sinks into your head. But that does not mean Emery was up to it. He wasn't.

I never said it was 22 games of luck but anyone with a brain and without an agenda can admit at key junctures luck certainly kept that run going.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:36 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:14 pm
augie wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:09 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:46 pm
The thing I think a couple of you lads are either entirely missing - or are just plain ignoring - is that the players we have on staff to replace those "senior players" are actually far worse players - with the exception of Martinelli obviously.

We have one of the worst weakest squads in our history at the moment.

AM-N, Willock, Nelson, the injured Chambers are all garbage of varying degrees at present and none of them are capable of stepping into that team and improving it right now. And some of them never will be.

Arteta is not experienced enough to find a solution to this but let's not rewrite the past ffs. We were complete shit under the likeable Emery. It's like last season's utter collapse in the easy PL run in and the debacle of the EL final and the completely shit chaos early this season never happened ! And hey let's not forget it was Dick that signed Pepe (the club record signing ffs) and Sideshow Chav too.

Torreira for xhaka and martinelli for either lacazette or pepe (take your pick), and the starting team is improved MASSIVELY. Personally I would argue for bringing in guendouzi alongside torreira and pushing ceballos up into ozil's position, but that is something that others would disagree with I know.
The problem with Torreira I think is he doesnt have an engine. He gives everything in a game but then seens to be slow and clumsy and off the pace in the next game. Not sure we could play him often enough to be effective.

Dozer has been a shadow of his former self this season augie. He has pissed away as much possession as Xhakatard. Ceballos does not have the vision or the passes in his game to replace the over the hill Ozil. We need better than Ceballos.

Buddy, do you still stand by that ? Ozil has created the square root of fcuk all in the past 2 years - surely someone else has to be given a chance to at least match that "record" ? We (inc me) defended ozil for years when he was trying to create goals like bendtner and giroud, but he has had auba and laca (before he turned to dogshit) and still created fcuk all - at what stage do we decide that he is no longer going to be the creator we need, and push someone else in there ? Personally I would like to have put smith-rowe in there for a few months - he wouldn't be the answer right now, but give him a few months of regular starts to bed in and we might have the player we need, and like I say, ozil is not setting the performance bar high for him anyway. Seeing as smith-rowe is not in the building now, I would try Ceballos in the 10 so we can see if he is worth trying to sign
Yep still stand by it but not as praise of Ozil which is how I think you are reading it. Ozil is over the hill and while he currently is doing ok linking play in the middle he is not justifying his 350k by just doing that. We need to replace him but I don't think Ceballos has it in his game to be what we need - which is the Ozil of 4 or 5 years ago creating dozens of chances.

I could of course be wrong but like you I've played and watched the game for over 40 years and sometimes you can just see a players limitations as well as their abilities.

Ozil and Ceballos are doing well linking the backs and the attackers at the moment but if we are looking for a proper number 10 or any attacking creator then Ozil is no longer that and I don't think Ceballos can be.

But I do agree it would be worth trying him in there. I'd love to be proven wrong on this one because we desperately need a creator.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

DB10 x Onebard

SteveO V Sid... MMA....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :barscarf:

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

The one thing that Ceballos brings is that he moves the ball forward quicker than Ozil who seems to turn and look around before releasing the ball. It could be the cause of Lacazettes poor return , from where I sit he still makes the runs but the ball often either goes elsewhere or arrives so late that his opportunities become half chances and he is snatching at them .
We need to look beyond the obvious and without a doubt Ozil needs to be moved on but the solution to this lies not with Arteta but Sanhelli and Fahmy , we bought in new power brokers and it's time to judge how well they are performing.
We are hamstrung by FFP and are living well beyond our means , we have to reduce overheads to allow the freedom to step back asses and start to move forward.
At the moment it really doesn't matter who has the title of manager /coach he is curtailed by what he has at his disposal. We can complain about playing Xhaka , Mustafi , Kolasinac , Luiz until the cows come home but that is what he has . We all know that the squad needs revamping but that is not down to Arteta . We need to put the blame where it belongs and that is in the boardroom where incidentally it has been since the Fiszman / Dein spat.

augie

Post by augie »

northbank123 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:57 pm
I’m not saying we should be grateful to him. Like a huge proportion of our squad, he has found himself in a job and at a club he has no right to be at. My reference to patience was that people need to acknowledge that we are absolute dog shit and aren’t one good transfer window off challenging for the title next year. Patience means that we shouldn’t expect to be 2nd/3rd next year, not that we should be grateful to Arteta.

Which is exactly what we all said when emery was appointed, but 12-15 months later there was huge calls to get rid and it worked. Make no mistake, unrealistic bullshit expectations are as big as a roadblock for us now as a lack of funds - the same people lauding imaginary improvements now, will be the same one's going ballistic next season when we are nowhere near we need to be, but the reality is that there has been fcuk all improvement and nor will there be as long as we have sub-standard shite like xhaka, ozil and mustafi in the team

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:12 am
northbank123 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:57 pm

Which is exactly what we all said when emery was appointed, but 12-15 months later there was huge calls to get rid and it worked. Make no mistake, unrealistic bullshit expectations are as big as a roadblock for us now as a lack of funds - the same people lauding imaginary improvements now, will be the same one's going ballistic next season when we are nowhere near we need to be, but the reality is that there has been fcuk all improvement and nor will there be as long as we have sub-standard shite like xhaka, ozil and mustafi in the team
Exactly - the selective memories eh? Those very people now saying that Emery's 22 game unbeaten run was lucky were probably in the away end at Fulham singing "we've got our Arsenal back" or saying how the atmosphere at home to the scum when we beat them 4-2 was the best in years. Show me an unbeaten run that didn't have some elements of luck by the way - Invincibles at home to Pompey (and others), Mickeys with their VAR assisted results and scraping late winners/equalisers (Fabianski's butter hands).

We know the cycle - they did it with Emery and now they will do it with Arteta........just a matter of time.

The one potential improvement I granted him was that we were defending slightly better - albeit with the caveat that some of those clean sheets/better displays were against some of the lowest scorers in the league - Newcastle, Palace, Burnley and Bournemouth reserves are hardly free scoring are they? Both times we played the Chavs we conceded 2 (brain dead goals too), and against Europe's finest (ahem) we shipped 2 more on Thursday night. Any half decent PL standard striker for Leeds would have added 2 or 3 more to that too.

So we will see how his magical improvements look when we get into the bones of the run in which is coming very soon. He's got League 1 Pompey and the awful Shammers up next to carry on with the mythical improvements, followed by a Brighton team that haven't beaten anyone in 2020, and the Saints who have decided its holiday time now they're as good as safe

Let's see how his improvements shape up after Easter when its Wolves, Leicester, Scum, and the Mickeys in quick succession........and two teams to close out the season in Watford and Villa who are both likely to be throwing the kitchen sink at it to stay up

If he comes through that with clean sheets, disciplined defensive performances etc then I'll be the first to hold my hands up. However, if we collapse hopefully those who slammed the end of last season will be level handed with the new Messiah

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

I supported Emery and now have got behind Arteta.
Looking back though at the season and I think the only reason Emery got sacked was that he had one really bad month.

On 3rd October I posted this;

come on this is getting ridiculous now.
Emery was one win away from 3rd place last season and took us to a first European final in 13 years.

we all knew that there was gong to be quite a bit of upheaval because the squad needed to be revamped.
this summer saw a lot of changes and combined with injuries to defenders who will be expecting to be first team players it hasn't been the best of starts to the season.
despite all that we have only lost one game all season, away at the European champions. So sorry if I don't share your assessment on Emery.
he probably isn't up to winning the league, but was he ever appointed to do that ? If you want a really ambitious manager at this club you will need to wait until Stan Kroenke dies and his son loses interest. Until then Emery is probably about the best we can get.

Arteta might be a decent enough manager in time but it was a hell of a gamble appointing him when we did.
Emery was always our best chance which was why he got appointed over Arteta in the first place.