Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

Bradywasking

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure?

Post by Bradywasking »

Clash wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:27 pm
StuartL wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:59 am
augie wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:45 am
rodders999 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:59 am
Augie take those Unai Emery posters down off your bedroom wall man and put back up the Belinda Carlisle ones :lol:

:wink:

I remember when she had the hit song after years in the wilderness, there were stories that she was about to do a naked photoshoot to earn some much needed coin - she wouldnt be high on my list, but I could probably bang one out to a naked photo of her 8) :oops: :oops: :wink:
I loved Belinda Carlisle - she was stunning :rubchin:
Indeed she was! I could never decide if I fancied Carol Decker. Wondered if he eyes were too close together :oops: :D

Nobody beat Susannah Hoffs or Keren Woodward (Bananrama) for me though. 80s Kim Wilde too perhaps. .Miss Hoffs has aged better than any of the girls of that period IMO. Scary to think their all around 60 years old now though. :( Even Wayne Rooney would think twice !
Apparently Debbie Harry was 75 yesterday..

augie

Post by augie »

Clash wrote:
StuartL wrote:
augie wrote:
rodders999 wrote:
Augie take those Unai Emery posters down off your bedroom wall man and put back up the Belinda Carlisle ones :lol:

I remember when she had the hit song after years in the wilderness, there were stories that she was about to do a naked photoshoot to earn some much needed coin - she wouldnt be high on my list, but I could probably bang one out to a naked photo of her 8) :oops: :oops: :wink:
Indeed she was! I could never decide if I fancied Carol Decker. Wondered if he eyes were too close together :oops: :D

Nobody beat Susannah Hoffs or Keren Woodward (Bananrama) for me though. 80s Kim Wilde too perhaps. .Miss Hoffs has aged better than any of the girls of that period IMO. Scary to think their all around 60 years old now though. :( Even Wayne Rooney would think twice !

Absolutely - she was gorgeous :sex2:

Have to say though that I dont think I have ever seen a woman age as well as kylie minogue - she is more bangable no that she ever was back in her peak years. I most def would if I got half a chance

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:31 pm
Clash wrote:
StuartL wrote:
augie wrote:
rodders999 wrote:

Absolutely - she was gorgeous :sex2:

Have to say though that I dont think I have ever seen a woman age as well as kylie minogue - she is more bangable no that she ever was back in her peak years. I most def would if I got half a chance
I could not choose. :rubchin:

It'd have to be a threesome with MILF Kylie and any age Susannah Hoffs. 8)

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Playing one of the best finishers in the world out wide pretty much shows him up as a failure

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

When Aubameyang gets to play down the middle , usually as circumstance forces a change of formation, we find ourselves being forced back onto our back line because it's not his game to receive the ball and hold it up and bring other players and hold possession.
This is more Lacazettes game however his finishing is just not clinical enough.
Auba rarely wins a ball in the air so any clearance under pressure gets returned almost immediately , he needs the ball either to feet or where he can run onto it and we don't have a midfield capable of that accuracy of passing .
Arteta's options are now severly restricted for the next three games. Spurs , Liverpool and Manchester City .
Saka was dead on his feet last night and will have to used sparingly or else we run the risk of a Wilshere burn out . We will see more of the fringe players when we least want to .
Times are getting tougher than tough.

augie

Post by augie »

A11M11 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:00 am
When Aubameyang gets to play down the middle , usually as circumstance forces a change of formation, we find ourselves being forced back onto our back line because it's not his game to receive the ball and hold it up and bring other players and hold possession.
Auba rarely wins a ball in the air so any clearance under pressure gets returned almost immediately , he needs the ball either to feet or where he can run onto it and we don't have a midfield capable of that accuracy of passing .
Arteta's options are now severly restricted for the next three games. Spurs , Liverpool and Manchester City .
Saka was dead on his feet last night and will have to used sparingly or else we run the risk of a Wilshere burn out . We will see more of the fringe players when we least want to .

So simply revert to 4-4-2 with laca and auba complimenting each other then 8) Some might say that is an out of date system but for me the system must always suit the players you have available to you, and we dont have a single player with all of the traits required to play the 9. When you look through the rest of the squad we have natural wingers that will fit in perfectly with a 4-4-2 system (pepe, saka and nelson for starters).
The flip side of that is that it appears that the manager has no confidence in his centre backs so he feels that he needs 3 in there, and that fcuks up the 4-4-2 plan

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

A11M11 wrote:

I think this is a good analysis of Auba and Lacazette and our lack of quality in midfield. Good post.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

augie wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:19 pm
A11M11 wrote:

So simply revert to 4-4-2 with laca and auba complimenting each other then 8) Some might say that is an out of date system but for me the system must always suit the players you have available to you, and we dont have a single player with all of the traits required to play the 9. When you look through the rest of the squad we have natural wingers that will fit in perfectly with a 4-4-2 system (pepe, saka and nelson for starters).
The flip side of that is that it appears that the manager has no confidence in his centre backs so he feels that he needs 3 in there, and that fcuks up the 4-4-2 plan

Augie's response is equally good, but then I'm a devoted 4-4-2 man. Always think that 3 at the back (in reality it usually means 5 at the back), is an admission that your team is 2nd rate. Maybe we should stick with it !! :lol:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Clash wrote:
StuartL wrote:
augie wrote:
rodders999 wrote:

Clash always makes sensible posts and this is absolutely no exception....Susannah Hoffs....man, was I in love ! As you say Clash, she's aged very well, although i fear that she might have started down the "too much cosmetic surgery" road. Hope not.

Last edited by Retro Gunner on Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

4-4-2 whenever possible. 8)

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:47 pm
You're obviously an old fucker like me !

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:52 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Guilty as charged your honour. :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Clash wrote:
StuartL wrote:
augie wrote:
rodders999 wrote:

Nobody beat Susannah Hoffs or Keren Woodward (Bananrama) for me though. 80s Kim Wilde too perhaps. .Miss Hoffs has aged better than any of the girls of that period IMO. Scary to think their all around 60 years old now though. :( ! Even Wayne Rooney would think twice
True, 60yrs would be a bit young for him. :D

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

augie wrote:
rodders999 wrote:

You obviously missed this rare and much sort after edition then Augster! :D

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:05 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:52 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Guilty as charged your honour. :wink:

:lol:

You know what really gets under my skin? When morons try to show how much they know about the game by saying "we should play 3-2-3-1-1, or 5-2-1-2, or 4-1-3-2", and on and on. :evil: Total bollocks and I have to get my abacus out to make sure it all adds up to 10. Fucking 4-4-2 was just fine when I was growing up and it's fucking fine now !!

Rant over. 8)