Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

DB10GOONER

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure?

Post by DB10GOONER »

goonersid wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:13 pm
LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:45 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:50 am
goonersid wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:39 am

Arghh, where did my post go ?
Did you forget to post it? :lol: :wink:
Alhzeimers protest march

"What do we want?!"

"CHANGE!"

"When do we want it?"

"Want what?"
I sat and wrote it with a thumping hangover, but hadn’t logged in, so it must have deleted!
With hindsight, it was a load of shite and not worth writing again. :lol:
:lol:

We've all had those posts. It happens to augie when he's sober. :lol: :wink:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

According to Mark Irwin, Mikel Arteta wants #Arsenal icon Dennis Bergkamp to return to the club. The Dutchman is being eyed for the role of assistant coach after Freddie Ljungberg’s exit. https://t.co/sGYBgySx7V

Bergkamp would jump at the chance of a Gunners return & Arteta is hoping to bolster his backroom staff with a figure who commands instant respect from the current players. #Arsenal

Arteta considered asking ex-Arsenal midfield partner Santi Cazorla to become part of his team. But those plans were scuppered when the Spaniard signed for Qatari outfit Al Sadd to extend his playing career. #Arsenal

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

goonersid wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:13 pm
LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:45 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:50 am
goonersid wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:39 am

Arghh, where did my post go ?
Did you forget to post it? :lol: :wink:
Alhzeimers protest march

"What do we want?!"

"CHANGE!"

"When do we want it?"

"Want what?"
I sat and wrote it with a thumping hangover, but hadn’t logged in, so it must have deleted!
With hindsight, it was a load of shite and not worth writing again. :lol:
:lol:

Tbf I've list a few posts and can't remember what they were about and definitely not worth reading :lol:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:14 pm
According to Mark Irwin, Mikel Arteta wants #Arsenal icon Dennis Bergkamp to return to the club. The Dutchman is being eyed for the role of assistant coach after Freddie Ljungberg’s exit. https://t.co/sGYBgySx7V

Bergkamp would jump at the chance of a Gunners return & Arteta is hoping to bolster his backroom staff with a figure who commands instant respect from the current players. #Arsenal

Arteta considered asking ex-Arsenal midfield partner Santi Cazorla to become part of his team. But those plans were scuppered when the Spaniard signed for Qatari outfit Al Sadd to extend his playing career. #Arsenal

Bergkamp back, now that really would be a statement.......all Hail the OG Oracle :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:30 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:

Bergkamp back, now that really would be a statement.......all Hail the OG Oracle :lol:
Absolutely. I am engorged at the very thought. 8)

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:40 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

DB which part particularly engorges you, all hail the oracle or Bergkamp coming back

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:32 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

DB which part particularly engorges you, all hail the oracle or Bergkamp coming back
Both, baby. Both. :D

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:32 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

Now now, don't start getting all billy big bollox Mr OG O :)

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

8) :lol:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

So with Arteta fully installed with 2 pieces of Silverware already and no excuses coming into the new season, what is a realistic expectation this year?

I cannot see us challenging in the league i still believe, much as i hate to admit it, that Dippers and Shitty are still well ahead of what we can produce over a season, on our day we can match them but over a season i dont think we can, so is top 4 realistic against the Scum, Manc Scum and Chavski?

As for the cups we know the League Cup will get its usual lip service and we dont do regular back to back FA Cups so it may be a long shot to repeat this seasons run but is a Europa Final/Win out the question?

For me I want a top four finish and Europa win as the minimum but i am not sure either is realistic yet, what do you all think? (Oviously dependant on how the rest of the transfer window goes, more than anything retaining PEA)

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:20 pm
So with Arteta fully installed with 2 pieces of Silverware already and no excuses coming into the new season, what is a realistic expectation this year?

I cannot see us challenging in the league i still believe, much as i hate to admit it, that Dippers and Shitty are still well ahead of what we can produce over a season, on our day we can match them but over a season i dont think we can, so is top 4 realistic against the Scum, Manc Scum and Chavski?

As for the cups we know the League Cup will get its usual lip service and we dont do regular back to back FA Cups so it may be a long shot to repeat this seasons run but is a Europa Final/Win out the question?

For me I want a top four finish and Europa win as the minimum but i am not sure either is realistic yet, what do you all think? (Oviously dependant on how the rest of the transfer window goes, more than anything retaining PEA)
Being realistic top 6 as a minimum, top 4 as a bonus and we are more than capable of winning any cup competition including Europa.

This is a 2 or 3 year project we wont get rid of the duds in the team this summer and even more importantly there are a few players touted to leave that we should not allow to go (AMN and Martinez).

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

The difference in how Arsenal are playing under Arteta is Massive.

They are playing with courage and confidence, we are also defencing 80% better, though there are is plenty of room for improvement.

I just hope those who were and have been highly critical of Arteta as manager will now at leats give him the chance to do things his way.

What we need is for the dross to be shown the door, preferably for a decent profit; that's if anyone is foolish enough to take them.

There are have always been those teams that have held the Indian sign over us, perhaps it's now our turn to do the same over another team - especially the thieving, gobshite, work-shy scousers. :D

Watched MOTD this morning and they now have more female pundits than male! I mean FFS!

And then of course the Women's Charity Shield, surely in the name of better viewing figures for women's football they should have any of the lookers in the teams - walk on in high heels, stockings, suzzies etc before the game!? :D

All in the cause of better viewing figures you understand and until women footie is on a par with the men's (Which it never will be).

I back Arteta 100% :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Would be nice for the hardline anti-Arteta brigade to admit he has something about him, and the players are buying into his philosophy which is turning into good performances/results.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:52 am
Would be nice for the hardline anti-Arteta brigade to admit he has something about him, and the players are buying into his philosophy which is turning into good performances/results.
They've all gone very quiet. :lol:

Wonder how many still maintain there's been zero improvement?

MegaGooner

Post by MegaGooner »

Top 4 and a St Totteringhams day celebration :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: