Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

OneBardGooner

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure?

Post by OneBardGooner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:54 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:00 pm
Fuckk all this bantering bing bong

I SAID!!!!

"Ice Cream Vans" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The ice cream happy dance :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:57 pm

What the fuck am I looking at here? :shock:

:lol:

John F

Post by John F »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:02 am
OneBardGooner wrote:

[/quote
It is the Arsenal training video on how to defend crosses.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

What you see there are the faithful followers of His Holiness thy God and Creator of all things Football Arsene Wenger A.D (Anno Domini)

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

Years back I had gone to Jamaica and on our way to the hotel we passed Hedonism 2, the driver was talking about the place and I had to Google it (I think later it had it's own tv show).

Now if you want to see fucked up dancing, "ripping and a tearing" :lol:

https://youtu.be/tYXFIXWw8Ro

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:23 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

Years back I had gone to Jamaica and on our way to the hotel we passed Hedonism 2, the driver was talking about the place and I had to Google it (I think later it had it's own tv show).

Now if you want to see fucked up dancing, "ripping and a tearing" :lol:

https://youtu.be/tYXFIXWw8Ro

I used to think only women and poofs danced. :wink:

A couple trips to Aya Napa and Ibiza made me realise it's women poofs and idiots. :lol: :wink:

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

Lacazette was having an awful game last night.

First sub. Martinelli off for Ceballos
Second sub. Wilock of for Pepe

Two easy options, leave the stinker with the big name on, granted Martinelli wasnt great but Wilock was having a decent game.

Laca scored but that goal was so much more about Auba & Saka than Lacazette being in the CF spot at the right time, again it showed Arteta is reluctant to upset his big names regardless of how bad they are playing.

Call this negative if you like but if alarm bells are not ringing, it should, he is developing a Chelseaesque dressing room where the players seem to have all the power and hes under manners, this is all well and good when we are winning games but when we hit a bad patch (& we will) this will blow up in his face.

I'm really unsure about him, says all the right things but the way hes handling the bigger names in the squad is worrying me.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Very worrying that he plays one of the top finishers in the league out on the wing to accommodate a dud

markyp

Post by markyp »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:49 am
Very worrying that he plays one of the top finishers in the league out on the wing to accommodate a dud
Possibly to offer some protection to saka? Aubs off anyway come summer,the rest of the season is an opportunity to see how we can fill the void,if laca can get back in the goals then selling aub is no loss,saka left wing pepe right wing ,laca through the middle, tierney at left back,maybe?

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Well, it looks like he's got them playing as a team and organized apart from the great fuck ups at the back.

They are working hard and pepe and eddie are improving, saka is other wordly and auba is banging them in.

I think we know now what Tets is trying to do - we won so many second balls today and challenges that at times it seemed we had an extra man. The fast press game rattled them and they were second best most of the game - their forwards and midfield dropped deep despite them defending a high line.

Luiz's ball was sublime. Tbf he had several that he tried and it definitely stretched them at times.

We are now 9th, four points off united - who go to Everton, whilst wolves go to the toilet bowl. At least two of them are going to drop points.

I think 5th is reachable if we can win our next three or four.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

In these circumstances I’d ordinarily say that this season is a freebie and next season is what matters.

However, I think that despite seemingly having little to play for then this season is huge. We have an easy few games and then some big games left. We could go on a run of wins and then take a few scalps in the big games we have left, and make our mark on the two cup competitions. That is a real possibility if we can turn these half-performances into full performances. We are turning up for 45 minutes, or being defensively solid whilst toothless going forward or disastrous at the back whilst dangerous going forward. If we can get that to click we could make big strides.

Or we can continue putting in patchy performances and stumbling towards an 8th-placed finish.

Gunnersaurus

The improved defence under Arteta.

Post by Gunnersaurus »

Think all those who got excited by the improvements to the defence got a bit of a reality check this weekend, it's easy to get excited when you see shut outs against those free scoring juggernauts Burnley & Newcastle but a very good Everton side showed how much these force positivity merchants have been trying to force the narrative.

17 shots conceded on goal at home, shocking at set pieces, Bellerin looking all over the place, Mustafi & Luiz making powderpuff attempts to win headers in the box, Leno again keeping us in games.

Now, before anyone starts talking about the quality of the shot, when we were happy to slate Emery for conceding 30 shots at Watford, we were happy to ignore that only 10 of them threatened the goal by being on target so let's not move any goalposts, 17 attempts on goal at home is not good in anyone language.

Are we all in agreement now that the defence is still THE defence and apart from running around a bit more not trying to get a manager sacked, it's not really that much different (apart from a bit more shape) or are we still at the stage where everything is rosey and Everton was just a case of being tired (like we wasnt tired last year with the same schedule)?

g88ner

Re: The improved defence under Arteta.

Post by g88ner »

Not sure you basically saying “I told you we’re still shit” is worthy of a thread, especially when 100% of us (I mean surely everyone!) on here already knew we had a dodgy defence :lol: I mean ffs we had bellerin , Mustafi, Luiz and kolasinac as a back 4 - Arteta ain’t a miracle worker!

Gunnersaurus

Re: The improved defence under Arteta.

Post by Gunnersaurus »

Sorry mate, popped in here last week and must have met the more rose tinted brigade.

Nothing to see here then.