Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

clockender1

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure?

Post by clockender1 »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:22 am

One thing I noticed about our play from the back yesterday, there is the option to go long if our defenders are being closed down. We never saw that from either Emery of Freddie in previous games, the ball had to transition into midfield from short passes which quite often meant us losing possession close to our goal.
I noticed that in the chav game. It wiuld seem that tets is a pragmatist.

I deffo think we can catch united and the vermin. I said earlier in the week that i think we will finish top six and i stick by that.

Every comment Arteta makes is encouraging- and so are the little details he is attending to, like yesterday when Torreira was out on his feet again after 70 minutes they sent on an energy gel for him.

We also look much more organized at free kicks and our corners, and i like what he did yesterday at the final whistle, coming on to the pirch not only to congratulate them, but also to tell them to gather together and applaud the fans.

I think this is more a change in the clubs culture than a new manager bounce.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

clockender1 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:31 am
nut flush gooner wrote:

One thing I noticed about our play from the back yesterday, there is the option to go long if our defenders are being closed down. We never saw that from either Emery of Freddie in previous games, the ball had to transition into midfield from short passes which quite often meant us losing possession close to our goal.

I deffo think we can catch united and the vermin. I said earlier in the week that i think we will finish top six and i stick by that.

Every comment Arteta makes is encouraging- and so are the little details he is attending to, like yesterday when Torreira was out on his feet again after 70 minutes they sent on an energy gel for him.

We also look much more organized at free kicks and our corners, and i like what he did yesterday at the final whistle, coming on to the pirch not only to congratulate them, but also to tell them to gather together and applaud the fans.

The first goal corner were Laca came out and flicked it on looked rehearsed to me, not sure but if it was that was class

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

clockender1 wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

Tets???

TETS???

FFS :roll:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

We seem to be the only club that never benefits from this new manager bounce. Problem with a bounce you tend to land back in the same place you lifted from. I prefer the slow long term impact, rather than the immediate impact.

Ernie71

Post by Ernie71 »

There are worrying signs Arteta wants Xhaka to stay just when we have got a club to take him off our hands.What next Mustafi given 5 year deal

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Ernie71 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:11 pm
There are worrying signs Arteta wants Xhaka to stay just when we have got a club to take him off our hands.What next Mustafi given 5 year deal
I think the ACL injury Cahmbers has picked up has scuppered things,the plan seemed to be to offload Xhaka in January and go in for a central midfielder.

Now all the focus is on bringing in a center back as Mustafi can never EVER play again.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:43 pm
clockender1 wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

Tets???

TETS???

FFS :roll:
:mrgreen: :barscarf:

augie

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:29 pm
Ernie71 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:11 pm
I think the ACL injury Cahmbers has picked up has scuppered things,the plan seemed to be to offload Xhaka in January and go in for a central midfielder.

Now all the focus is on bringing in a center back as Mustafi can never EVER play again.

Maybe I am interpreting it wrong, but it just seems to me that the rabiot links seem to have a bit more to them than the usual tat the media spew out, but don't ask me why I feel that way. Tbh Rabiot is a player that never convinced me, and if we signed him it would bring a shit load of drama and not good drama either - his arrogance is seemingly top level arrogance, and he spent his last 6 months at psg frozen out. Now that being said, getting him in on loan to replace xhaka (if we sell not loan him), would be a good move and allow us to buy a good centre back with the existing funds + xhaka transfer fee

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I think a new Poll may be needed come May. :wink:

After Judgement Day that is. :?

Artetaaaaa !
He was born in Spain
Artetaaaaa!
He's back at Arsenal again! :barscarf:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:00 am

Artetaaaaa !
He was born in Spain
Artetaaaaa!
Did he actually have a song of his own when he played for us ?

I’m struggling to think of a time when I ever heard it sung if he did :oops:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

StuartL wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:57 am
OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:00 am

Artetaaaaa !
He was born in Spain
Artetaaaaa!
Did he actually have a song of his own when he played for us ?

I’m struggling to think of a time when I ever heard it sung if he did :oops:
Yeah it went something like:

Artetaaaa!
He's everywhere!
Artetaaaaaa!
He's got nice hair!

:proudtosay: :-P :wink:

augie

Post by augie »

Am I the only one that is getting pissed off with arteta continually going on about bonding with the fans in the media - when this team starts winning more games, and the fans continue to see the team working their nuts off in every game, then the bond will automatically happen, but talking about in constantly in the media is lame and cringy imo

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

augie wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:23 am
Am I the only one that is getting pissed off with arteta continually going on about bonding with the fans in the media
Yes, yes you are.

8)

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

rodders999 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:28 am
augie wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:23 am
Am I the only one that is getting pissed off with arteta continually going on about bonding with the fans in the media
Yes, yes you are.

8)
Absolutely, isn't it great that the club has a head coach who cares so much about the customers of the business :roll: :lol:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Interesting that if he is so interested in rebuilding the bond with fans that a couple of places have reported him as saying Xhaka could one day wear the Captains armband again (cant find the links right now)......now that sort of thing is right out the Wenger playbook :banghead: