Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

GoonerMuzz

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure?

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Clash wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:45 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:26 pm
He's only been in the job for 6 weeks. Lost one game.

He's working with the muppets Emery bought and the remaining deadwood left by wenger. This break is very much needed at this point of the season.
I think us fans need the break more than the players after watching that shit today.

And roll on the summer if Arteta is gonna persist with playing that clown Martinez in goal in the FA Cup and EL as we won’t go the distance in those competitions.

Decisions like that cup keeper policy and playing Abamayeng out wide etc. are not doing much to convince me that Arteta has any fresh ideas or any kind of new approach. So far he’s pretty much just copying what the previous coaches have done.
Whilst i completely agree with the statement i'm not sure he has much in the way ideas that would make any difference with this lot, Wenger whilst an egomaniac mostly could get something out the squad from time to time even up to the end, Emery started off relatively well but then it all went tits up but Arteta is really on a hiding to nothing with the majority of the senior players in the squad, they just can't seem to change the way they play for more than at most half a game before revereting to type.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Arteta is on a hiding to nothing, but what worries me is this persistence of having Aubameyang not just on the left side of attack but pretty much a winger for large swathes of the game.

There was one phase of play where Auba picked the ball up on the left hugging the touchline, by the time he released the ball he had three team mates on the edge of the box further forward than he was. I want my main striker to be in the middle making runs in on goal not looking to get to the byline and crossing for others. There should be no compromise to get other players into the team, especially an out of form laca.

Playing Ozil away from home at a place like Burnley has been tried ad nauseum and never worked. He doesn't have it in his locker to buckle down ride those inevitable tackles and impose himself on the game. Apparently Arteta had a training session that was focused on dealing with Burnley’s physicality, what did they do with Ozil make him dribble round feathers perhaps. I know back in the day, the likes of Adams and Keown used to go in hard on the offensive players in training. Dennis in particular knew how to look after himself.

I find myself coming back to the same conclusion after every game that until Xhaka, Ozil, Mustafi and a few others leave things wont get better. AFTV seem to be going through a phase of praising Mustafi at the moment, its soo false you can see they are reacting to criticism of their platform laying into certain players.

Arteta knew it was a big job to fix our club, perhaps even he didn't realise how bad things really are. The blame even two years after he left still lies on Wengers door. Personally I would rather have appointed Nuno, he has Wolves playing amazing football and you can see several players that would improve our side, I mean this is Wolves ffs. In saying that we still need to back Arteta at least for the next season and a half, not like we have any other choice tbh.

augie

Post by augie »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:03 am
Clash wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:45 pm
Nos89 wrote:

He's working with the muppets Emery bought and the remaining deadwood left by wenger. This break is very much needed at this point of the season.
I think us fans need the break more than the players after watching that shit today.

And roll on the summer if Arteta is gonna persist with playing that clown Martinez in goal in the FA Cup and EL as we won’t go the distance in those competitions.

Decisions like that cup keeper policy and playing Abamayeng out wide etc. are not doing much to convince me that Arteta has any fresh ideas or any kind of new approach. So far he’s pretty much just copying what the previous coaches have done.
Whilst i completely agree with the statement i'm not sure he has much in the way ideas that would make any difference with this lot, Wenger whilst an egomaniac mostly could get something out the squad from time to time even up to the end, Emery started off relatively well but then it all went tits up but Arteta is really on a hiding to nothing with the majority of the senior players in the squad, they just can't seem to change the way they play for more than at most half a game before revereting to type.

Buddy, I have frequently championed lacazette's work rate when he is bang at it, buy his away goals record is nothing short of disgraceful and questions have to be asked about persisting with him. In a day and age where stats are quoted so often, how are the appaling records that ozil and laca not used against them, and especially by a modern coach like arteta ?

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Nos89 wrote:

Yeah and drawn the vast majority too.

Who are these muppets that Emery bought? You mean Leno, Guendouzi, Martinelli and Torreira who have probably been 4 of the best players in the past 18 months or so, and who Arteta has been building his team around?

If you're referring to the shite that the senile old cock accumulated like Mustafi and Ozil then fair enough, but enough of the Emery bashing please. Remind me where we were in the league when he left?

nut flush gooner

Apparently Arteta is taking the team warm-weather training this week.

After yesterdays performance he should make them train in darkest Lancashire, or somewhere north of the border where it is fucking freezing today. Give the snowflakes some hairs on their chests.

nut flush gooner

SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:10 am
Nos89 wrote:

Yeah and drawn the vast majority too.

Who are these muppets that Emery bought? You mean Leno, Guendouzi, Martinelli and Torreira who have probably been 4 of the best players in the past 18 months or so, and who Arteta has been building his team around?

If you're referring to the shite that the senile old cock accumulated like Mustafi and Ozil then fair enough, but enough of the Emery bashing please. Remind me where we were in the league when he left?
Arsenal managers no longer have the power Wenger did, they can only recommend not specifically buy players. Negotiation and recruitment is handled at Director level.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

3 wins
5 draws
1 defeat

a solid start to his managerial career but far too early to judge.

I said last week that you can either take a glass half view or a glass half empty view so far.
after another draw away from home that is unchanged.

However the next 3 league games are all at home - win those and suddenly things start to look a lot brighter.
I remain optimistic but appreciate that from now on he has to start delivering some wins.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I would still prefer Arteta to the baffling Unai Emery (nice chap though he seems to be) Anytime.

Arrrrrrrrrtetaaaa !

Arrrrrrrrrtetaaaa !

He used to play for The Arsenal !

Now he coaches The Arsenal !

:D :barscarf:

augie

Post by augie »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:40 am
3 wins
5 draws
1 defeat

I said last week that you can either take a glass half view or a glass half empty view so far.

However the next 3 league games are all at home - win those and suddenly things start to look a lot brighter.
I remain optimistic but appreciate that from now on he has to start delivering some wins.

My aren't we being crafty with our use of stats - 3 wins includes fa cup wins against a championship side and a rotated Bournemouth side who only climbed out of the bottom 3 two days ago :roll: Our one other win came against the worst manure side for 40+ years, and we have also failed to beat the powerhouses that are palace, sheffield united, bournemouth (in league) and now burnley, and 3 of those 4 are fighting relegation ffs :roll:

Emery rightly got some stick towards the end of his time with us, but as Steve O says, to slate his signings is ridiculous and embarrassing :oops: The vast majority of the players signed in his time (I'm still not convinced how much input he had though) have been the best players we have in the last 18 months, and as embarrassing as it is, there can even be no denying that even luiz has been the best of our centre backs (which tells us everything about the rest of them :roll: :oops: :oops: ).

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

augie wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:59 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:40 am
3 wins
5 draws
1 defeat

My aren't we being crafty with our use of stats - 3 wins includes fa cup wins against a championship side and a rotated Bournemouth side who only climbed out of the bottom 3 two days ago :roll: Our one other win came against the worst manure side for 40+ years, and we have also failed to beat the powerhouses that are palace, sheffield united, bournemouth (in league) and now burnley, and 3 of those 4 are fighting relegation ffs :roll:

Emery rightly got some stick towards the end of his time with us, but as Steve O says, to slate his signings is ridiculous and embarrassing :oops: The vast majority of the players signed in his time (I'm still not convinced how much input he had though) have been the best players we have in the last 18 months, and as embarrassing as it is, there can even be no denying that even luiz has been the best of our centre backs (which tells us everything about the rest of them :roll: :oops: :oops: ).
I was an Emery fan and don't think he should have been sacked so soon.
However I have also been encouraged by the start Arteta has made.

augie

Post by augie »

I was an emery fan up until his fcuked up tactics away to the victims this season - disgraceful decisions that day could and maybe should have resulted in an immediate sacking if I'm honest. I liked the guy and obviously wanted him to succeed, but as soon as the fans started turning he had to go, cos I don't think any Gooner can take another situation where a manager has split the fanbase as much as le cock did

augie

Post by augie »

Herd

Post by Herd »

Judging by the body language and reverting to old habits I would say that his honeymoon period with the players is well and truly over !
He's only been in the joint a few mins but come end season if he cannot clear the decks and flush the shit nothing will change !
What disturbs me is that he seems to have bought into the cult of Xhaka which baffles me, also Ozils brief renaissance has hit the buffers and lacazette still struts around like a twat !
With any realistic chance of European football gone via the league we should concentrate on the Cups so if he experiments or drops players for league matches in order to shake things up that would be fine with me but instead he seems to continue with the old guard who have served us so poorly !
He has a pass for me until and next season but Im less than optimistic we will have turned the corner by then !

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

augie wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:35 pm
Interesting :rubchin: :rubchin:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... erg-emery/

:wink: :lol:
win the next 3 league matches ( all at home) and he has a 40% win ratio

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:36 pm
augie wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:35 pm
I didn't see any of the game today so am not gonna comment on the quality (or lack thereof), but one win in eight league games tells it's own story - I don't give a fcuk what anyone say's, if emery started last season or this season with a run like that, we wouldn't be listening to shit about what a positive difference the change in manager has made :roll: :oops: :oops:
Exactly right - I love the way all of those who were giving Dick bundles are now clutching at straws seeing the things they want to see to justify the change.
That's an oversimplification there mate. I wanted Emery gone because he kept making the same ego-driven arrogant mistakes over and over and wasn't up to the job.

I have seen slight (probably temporary let's be honest) improvements in some areas under Arteta but also areas where we've gone backward under Arteta.

Personally I don't think he's up to the job long term. But admitting when I see something improve doesn't mean I'm bullshitting to justify the change. It's not that black and white. Two wrongs don't make a right. Arteta is not good enough but that doesn't mean Dick was.