Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

Retro Gunner

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure?

Post by Retro Gunner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:17 pm
augie wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:45 am
rodders999 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:59 am
Augie take those Unai Emery posters down off your bedroom wall man and put back up the Belinda Carlisle ones :lol:

:wink:

I remember when she had the hit song after years in the wilderness, there were stories that she was about to do a naked photoshoot to earn some much needed coin - she wouldnt be high on my list, but I could probably bang one out to a naked photo of her 8) :oops: :oops: :wink:
You obviously missed this rare and much sort after edition then Augster! :D

Oofah !! I think we all missed that one OBG, but I'm very glad you found it ! :barscarf: :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:48 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:05 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:52 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:47 pm
4-4-2 whenever possible. 8)
You're obviously an old fucker like me !
Guilty as charged your honour. :wink:

:lol:

You know what really gets under my skin? When morons try to show how much they know about the game by saying "we should play 3-2-3-1-1, or 5-2-1-2, or 4-1-3-2", and on and on. :evil: Total bollocks and I have to get my abacus out to make sure it all adds up to 10. Fucking 4-4-2 was just fine when I was growing up and it's fucking fine now !!

Rant over. 8)
Fucking right. 8)

Also hate these hipster arseholes that spew out shit like "4-4-2 is out of date". :censored: :roll:

Fucking cuntwombles. :roll: :censored:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

We have barely played a game under Arteta where we haven’t faded massively after 60-70 minutes.

Whilst that may be largely down to not being fit enough to play the game that Arteta wants to, he can’t sit there every game and watch us piss away points. After the drinks break we have been garbage and he has just watched it happen.

Lacazette’s fitness is a disgrace. After an hour he is blowing out of his arse every game, he is carrying at least half a stone. Still he is kept on all game as an absolute passenger, with the expert pundits wondering who we could possibly play up front as Aubameyang remains our biggest threat despite being marooned our on the wing.

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

The idea that we have improved under Arteta is ridiculous. We are just as disorganised at the back as we ever were, and there are now increasing issues relating to character and fitness. 1-0 up against Brighton, and 1-0 up against a Spurs team who had a day's less rest in the week.

We really need to challenge the nonsense that Arteta has made any discernable difference. He hasn't, and frankly, he won't. Time to get an experienced manager in.

augie

Post by augie »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:24 pm
The idea that we have improved under Arteta is ridiculous. We are just as disorganised at the back as we ever were, and there are now increasing issues relating to character and fitness. 1-0 up against Brighton, and 1-0 up against a Spurs team who had a day's less rest in the week.

We really need to challenge the nonsense that Arteta has made any discernable difference. He hasn't, and frankly, he won't. Time to get an experienced manager in.

Well said that man 8)

Some knob tried to bulls.hit earlier in the weak about the improvement in character under arteta and today showed that for the bullshi.t it is

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

While I think it's far more complex than just Arteta because of the shit players he inherited and the ambitionless wig peado that owns us I also think we need a manager with the knowledge experience and charisma to take on this challenge. Arteta may end up being a world class manager some day but he is not what we need right now.

augie

Post by augie »

Managers, good and bad, will pick the wrong team on occasions - the proper managers will identify their mistakes during the game and will try to correct them with substitutions and/or formation changes during the game ............ our manager today did fcuk all until 5 minutes to go :roll:
Life isnt going to wait for him to do a video analysis of the game tomorrow before realising where it is going wrong

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

I've been clear in my views. The defence is still an utter shambles. There is no improvement in the games where it matters most. However, if he grows a pair and bombs out all three of those gormless *word censored* who threw in the towel today, I will give him the whole of next season to make his mark...applying the same standard that applied to Emery. You must improve on a 1 point gap to the CL places and reach a cup final. Debate the rest of it as long as you want, but anything less is failure

If anyone of those lumbering goons are still in our backline next season then he deserves every bit ot stick he will get. As a so called master coach and student of the game, how many times would he have to watch the same mistakes before the penny drops?

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

I voted that he would be an utter fucking disaster and that is what he is turning out to be..beige as a player and beige as a manager..luiz mystify and that big Bosnian fanny :roll: ffs I know our options at the back are limited but that 3 are shite.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

falkirk goon wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:56 pm
I voted that he would be an utter fucking disaster and that is what he is turning out to be..beige as a player and beige as a manager..luiz mystify and that big Bosnian fanny :roll: ffs I know our options at the back are limited but that 3 are shite.
Strangely enough in the 22 game unbeaten run that has been airbrushed from history it was mostly Holding and Sokratis at heart of the defence. Whilst I’m not suggesting for a minute that either of them are Moore or Beckenbauer at least we had a coach who tried something different. Watching Mustafi against Kane in the second half was almost comical if it wasn’t so awful. That *word censored* was on his way out and is now a permanent fixture in the defence

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Kane is overrated, has been playing poorly and was poor today. But he is a smart striker who will exploit weaknesses, so somebody like Mustafi who has a tendency to get miles too tight and daydream is going to get rinsed. Mustafi’s second half today was amongst the worst I’ve ever seen from a player. Kane always shows him up.

By contrast Sokratis is a limited player but has the measure of Kane. Every time he plays him he is all over him like a rash, forces Him to drop deeper to get the ball and then just sticks a foot in. Wins the ball sometimes, gets away with a foul others, gives away a few free kicks in not dangerous areas and without much danger of a yellow.

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Get Captain Black out at the end of the season :cussing: Preferably ASAP! :barscarf:

He's out of Europe & will get totally slaughtered next two games. Another maximum 3 points which could mean 11th or 12th place finish.

He really hasn't got a fécking clue, totally out of his depth. :banghead:

Hope all that wanted Emery out are fécking happy now! :twisted:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Almunia is a clown wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:06 pm
Get Captain Black out at the end of the season :cussing: Preferably ASAP! :barscarf:

He's out of Europe & will get totally slaughtered next two games. Another maximum 3 points which could mean 11th or 12th place finish.

I'm sorry but that is just silly mate. Why would they be happy? Just because Arteta is proving he's not the answer does not rewrite history and prove Dick was the answer. He wasn't.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:30 pm

I'm sorry but that is just silly mate. Why would they be happy? Just because Arteta is proving he's not the answer does not rewrite history and prove Dick was the answer. He wasn't.
Who was the answer then?

Remember we are looking for the manager to turn Arsene's limpdicks into football's equivalent of the Harlem Globetrotters on the huge budget of 40m and turn our defenders into GG's 1989 vintage. I mean...take your time as the list of candidates is endless

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:45 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:30 pm

Who was the answer then?

Remember we are looking for the manager to turn Arsene's limpdicks into football's equivalent of the Harlem Globetrotters on the huge budget of 40m and turn our defenders into GG's 1989 vintage. I mean...take your time as the list of candidates is endless
Again I just think that is a bit OTT. I just want a manager that can take us steadily forward. He has to do the basics - sign (or develop) a top number 10 / midfield creator, instill a good solid DM, and add a couple of top defenders. He has to instill a style a disciplined sense of purpose and a proper spirit. He doesn't have to recreate The Invincibles.