Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

augie

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure?

Post by augie »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:44 pm
I'll take a shocking performance every time if we win Augie

Agree 100% with you mc - the point I am making is that there are still some pointing to mythical improvements (see today's game thread), which are not there. We won and have made up ground on those above us, but we are still playing shit and will continue to play shit as long as the team is infiltrated by sub-standard c.unts like xhaka, and ozil, and players like pepe who are not good enough -

Gunnersaurus

Signs of improvement

Post by Gunnersaurus »

Were there any today? What about this vision or plan?

Not sure I saw any of this today but that might just be me.

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

augie wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:23 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:

Agree 100% with you mc - the point I am making is that there are still some pointing to mythical improvements (see today's game thread), which are not there. We won and have made up ground on those above us, but we are still playing shit and will continue to play shit as long as the team is infiltrated by sub-standard c.unts like xhaka, and ozil, and players like pepe who are not good enough -

The goalposts move regularly, the previous manager won a lot of games in his first year but that was never enough, it needed to be like 1970s Brazil or the 3 points were devalued, now we will take a win even if the performance is shocking. :)

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Gunnersaurus wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:45 pm
augie wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:23 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:

The goalposts move regularly, the previous manager won a lot of games in his first year but that was never enough, it needed to be like 1970s Brazil or the 3 points were devalued, now we will take a win even if the performance is shocking. :)
All luck last season mate - every single minute of those 22 games! Not like this year's unbeaten run (the one that conveniently forgets about losing to Olympiacos so isn't actually a run at all).

City up next and we'll see how the luck carries on against Wolves, Leicester, Scum and Mickeys next month

herbert

Post by herbert »

Moving the goal posts? :shock:

Arteta as been manager since 20th December so calling him out now is premature and definetly moving the goalposts in terms of judging a new manager

No team play improvement from us yesterday apart from Leno but our points tally went up and 3 prem wins in a row have put us closer to the chasing pack so the Massive fraud? Peps cone man? is not doing to bad :barscarf:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

herbert wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:39 am

Arteta as been manager since 20th December so calling him out now is premature and definetly moving the goalposts in terms of judging a new manager

No team play improvement from us yesterday apart from Leno but our points tally went up and 3 prem wins in a row have put us closer to the chasing pack so the Massive fraud? Peps cone man? is not doing to bad :barscarf:
And if he gets within 1 point of the CL places and reaches a major cup final next year, he'll almost be up there with the achievements of a "clueless" manager who was "a clown"

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

I get what augie is trying to say - we are winning ugly.

But we are winning, and whilst no massive improvement, i would describe the patient as stable.

Its bollocks but its the best we can hope for due to the restrictions put in place by the board.

Its not pretty to watch apart from the odd half here and there, but these are games we would have lost under the theif and even Dick.

Its sods law that our game in hand over Wolves is away at City, which is going to be a real test of his management skills.

Hopefully he will play a 5-3-2 with no ozil or pepe and we can get a 0-0 and avoid a hiding.

If we do scrape or earn a draw, thats a big improvement in my book.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

clockender1 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:57 am

But we are winning, and whilst no massive improvement, i would describe the patient as stable.

Its bollocks but its the best we can hope for due to the restrictions put in place by the board.

Its not pretty to watch apart from the odd half here and there, but these are games we would have lost under the theif and even Dick.

Its sods law that our game in hand over Wolves is away at City, which is going to be a real test of his management skills.

Hopefully he will play a 5-3-2 with no ozil or pepe and we can get a 0-0 and avoid a hiding.

Absolutely agree with that. The games against them over the past year and a bit have been a joke.....so avoiding defeat will definitely represent improvement. The home game this season was as limpdicked as anything under Wenger

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

clockender1 wrote:

Cant play Ozil in that one, not a game for passengers

herbert

Post by herbert »

SteveO 35 wrote:
herbert wrote:

And if he gets within 1 point of the CL places and reaches a major cup final next year, he'll almost be up there with the achievements of a "clueless" manager who was "a clown"
I liked Emery Steve o and a clown or clueless is not something that I would use to describe his time with us so if I called Arteta out now then that would put me in the double standards league

A league that you and Gunnersaurus are topping at the moment :lol:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

herbert wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:09 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
herbert wrote:

I liked Emery Steve o and a clown or clueless is not something that I would use to describe his time with us so if I called Arteta out now then that would put me in the double standards league

No double standards here my friend, just happy to call out all of those judging two managers by completely different standards. 22 games of sheer luck, half a dozen of utter genius despite every piece of evidence to the contrary. If that isn't double standards, I don't know what is

Daycat

Re: Signs of improvement

Post by Daycat »

From watching the game there were no signs of improvement. A 2-0 loss would of been more of a fair result on how the game went as sad as it is to say

herbert

Post by herbert »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:11 pm
herbert wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:09 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
herbert wrote:

No double standards here my friend, just happy to call out all of those judging two managers by completely different standards. 22 games of sheer luck, half a dozen of utter genius despite every piece of evidence to the contrary. If that isn't double standards, I don't know what is
At the end of the day Arteta will get judged on the same basis as Emery ,we find ourselves in a position where top 5 is possible and if Arteta cant lift the team to grab it and we lose in the fa cup then the knives will be out for him just like they were for Emery at the start of next season

So you and Gunnersauras need to put your sharpners away and tell us all how wrong we were in Sept Oct :lol:

LeftfootlegendGooner

Re: Signs of improvement

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Lock it down Luke :lol:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

The real judgement on Arteta really cant begin until the summer, can he shift the players that need to be gotten rid, can he bring in sufficient quality replacements and can he then begin to get them playing his brand of football effectively and more than that will his brand work. Any comparison to Emery is academic because at the moment Arteta is hamstrung by the very players that were obviously so ineffective under Emery.