Manure (H) New Years Day 8pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: Manure (H) New Years Day 8pm

Post by DB10GOONER »

Even the basic "totting up" principle dictates that the manc filth should have seen at least 5 or 6 yellows and then quite possibly a sending off for two yellows. So many deliberate cynical fouls and the fucking idiot cheat ref and his gormless linesmen gave next to nothing. :censored:

augie

Post by augie »

I said last night that I felt that luiz played well and I stand by that, but how much of the improved performances of ALL of our defenders (except dumb arse bosnian :roll: ), is down to the much more disciplined protection they are getting from the players in front of them ? :rubchin: Torreira was outstanding and was a one man barrier in front of our back 4, but xhaka too played a very disciplined game and rarely ventured away from sitting in front of the 2 centre halves. As has been mentioned numerous times, our strikers are working their nuts off closing down opposition defenders and are living proof of the saying that good teams defend from the front - ask any defender (played most of my life as a defender) and they will tell you that when the opposition players have time they can deliver better passes to the front men and that makes it harder for the defence, but when the opposition players are under pressure their delivery is more rushed and the quality of passing will drop.

On one hand I am feeling that we need to be cautious and not get carried away with last nights result cos, lets be honest here, we beat a shit manure team (fred, matic and Lingard as their midfield 3 :roll: ) - on the other hand we have lost and drawn against many shit teams this season, so it's hard not to feel that last night was progress. There is a lot being made about the work-rate from the players and the response from the fans, but 15 months ago we were saying the very same about emery's team (especially after the home game v the scum). How long this "revival" can last will depend on a continued commitment from the players, a less busy treatment table (that could be unlikely given the physical demands of this system on the players), and of course the ability of the club/manager to add some quality to the squad this month.

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:38 am
Even the basic "totting up" principle dictates that the manc filth should have seen at least 5 or 6 yellows and then quite possibly a sending off for two yellows. So many deliberate cynical fouls and the fucking idiot cheat ref and his gormless linesmen gave next to nothing. :censored:

The thing that is really getting on my tits is the very early bookings that we keep getting, when the refs are letting opposition players get away with the same fouls :evil: I do wonder if it is down to the belief in football that citeeh players have been coached to cynically foul opposition players, and the refs are now laying down a marker that arteta wont be allowed do the same with us :rubchin: Regardless of whether that is in the referee's head before games, the reality is that they are allowing opposition players to continually foul us without being carded, and that needs to be highlighted imo

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Yes Augie they undoubtedly look better because of the shape and protection. Jonny Evans has looked decent at Leicester but would have been an utter car crash in our defence - just better protection. Likewise Huth and Morgan were bang average cloggers, but rock solid that season that they had Kante sitting in front of them and grafters like Albrighton and Drinkwater. Meanwhile somebody like Vermaelen was to my mind a very good CB who was made to look shaky a lot of the time by relying on the likes of Denilson for protection and playing alongside the likes of Squillaci, Eboue and Clichy and in front of panicky keepers like Almunia or Fabianski.

Torreira has been excellent in the last few games, and whilst still very average then at least in sitting deeper than Xhaka helps add more shape and protection.

Skooner

Post by Skooner »

Cautiously optimistic about the club right now after the last 2 games. Even after we lost against the Chavs I said it was the most organised I had seen an Arsenal team in a very long time. When Freddie was in charge he mentioned our issue around transition when we lose the ball and it's something Arteta seems to have had an immediate impact on, as soon as we lost the ball last night you could see players moving into their positions and beginning to press in groups to get the ball back (Pep's 5 second rule). Emery never had us doing that (nor of course did Wenger) so we were always incredibly easy to counter attack against.

The short term problem that will bring is a fitness one (which others have already mentioned) and I reckon we'll see a few more injuries in the coming weeks because of it, but if we retain the organisation then we'll become harder to beat and the defence will be shielded better.

Also interesting to note how many times Luiz was trying to release Auba with long diagonal balls into the channel quickly after we got possession in our own half. This is what I assumed we brought him in for at the start of the season, as everyone knows he has mistakes in him but his passing stats in his Chelsea days were excellent for a centre back. And our general passing out from the back is much quicker and sharper so you don't think we are about to give it away every time we try it.

We've been successful in one game, so certainly not going overboard, but definitely a few things that have been put in place that look promising if we keep them up. And hard to put a price on the fact a lot of the players seems happier than they were.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

augie wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:15 am
DB10GOONER wrote:

The thing that is really getting on my tits is the very early bookings that we keep getting, when the refs are letting opposition players get away with the same fouls :evil: I do wonder if it is down to the belief in football that citeeh players have been coached to cynically foul opposition players, and the refs are now laying down a marker that arteta wont be allowed do the same with us :rubchin: Regardless of whether that is in the referee's head before games, the reality is that they are allowing opposition players to continually foul us without being carded, and that needs to be highlighted imo
Nothing to do with Arteta this has been going on before him....the VAR goal against Palace that cost us 2 points, just one of many

This season we have not had a fair shout from refs so far...it may even out in second half, but doubt it with refs like Pawson and Dean about

Goonuz71

Post by Goonuz71 »

Didnt quite know where to post this , so here it is ....Anyone else notice that Arteta hasn't worn any "branded" clothing yet ?...No AFC No Adidas Nothing , All the new backroom staff are "branded "as normal ....Trivial but its bugging me .

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Quality descrptions......

Arteta seems to have switched off the circus sideshow music playing inside David Luiz’s head and the Brazilian was virtually immaculate in central defence.
In front of him, Lucas Torreira, Arsenal’s dwarf bouncer, manned the backdoor in none-shall-pass fashion.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Redarmy wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:02 am
Quality descrptions......

Arteta seems to have switched off the circus sideshow music playing inside David Luiz’s head and the Brazilian was virtually immaculate in central defence.
In front of him, Lucas Torreira, Arsenal’s dwarf bouncer, manned the backdoor in none-shall-pass fashion.
:lol:

But True. That is the best I have seen him play in the Red & White of Arsenal. He is like that in the Uruguay team and it looks like Arteta has simply said ' You are playing in your preferred position, so go out there and take No Feckin' Prisoners' :barscarf: :box: :D

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

rodders999 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:18 pm
I can’t help but feel enthusiastic every time I hear Arteta speak. He has a plan, let’s hope he succeeds.
Wouldn't it really be Something if he does, cos if he does - Then we will know "Happiness" again, instead of the last 10 years of misery.

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Redarmy wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:53 am
augie wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:15 am
DB10GOONER wrote:

Nothing to do with Arteta this has been going on before him....the VAR goal against Palace that cost us 2 points, just one of many

This season we have not had a fair shout from refs so far...it may even out in second half, but doubt it with refs like Pawson and Dean about
Add in the stonewaller denied us at bramall lane and there is possibly another point or 3 dropped. It's also to be remembered that defeat started our horrendous run.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Goonuz71 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:57 am
Didnt quite know where to post this , so here it is ....Anyone else notice that Arteta hasn't worn any "branded" clothing yet ?...No AFC No Adidas Nothing , All the new backroom staff are "branded "as normal ....Trivial but its bugging me .
He does wear all the gear in the pre game pressers and interviews that take place during the week but like Pep wears his own stuff on the sideline.

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

rodders999 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:30 am
Goonuz71 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:57 am
He does wear all the gear in the pre game pressers and interviews that take place during the week but like Pep wears his own stuff on the sideline.
He was wearing this on the touch line last night according to twitter.

https://www.armani.com/us/armanicom/emp ... 027ci.html

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Well life at the bowl is a whole lot more positive all of a sudden, in fact it's actually enjoyable again. Some of us who went last night even went straight out to work afterwards :wink:

We weren't quite as intense in the first half as the chav game which was encouraging as it looked like they had learnt from that mistake although the question mark over the fitness aspect remains. Loving the hunting down and pressing from the front - even Ozil is joining in. Make no mistake we were very good in the first half but manure were truly friggin awful, one of the worst manure teams I've seen.

Getting that second goal was all important and tbf we were worth a third before half time. In the second half manure had a go but the team kept it's shape and discipline most of the time and saw the game out.

Width - Jaysus. Three men hugging the touchlines when playing out from the back which at times actually made it not so kamikaze when the right ball was played early and we made use of the space. At other times it was back to brown trousers but it's looking a bit more composed. The good thing when using width to go forward is that it often bypasses Xhaka in an effort to get the ball forward to the players you want on the ball.

WTF was Dick doing with Torreira - he's like a new signing. It's a bit like when Sarri was playing Kante as a creative player - fucking stupid.

Laca did some really good work but didn't have any luck in front of goal, he turned slabhead like he wasn't there a couple of times. Pepe is showing what he can do although none of the team have a clue what he's going to do when he gets the ball. Xhaka performed, Luiz was good even old AMN was enjoying himself. Couldn't really fault anybody for effort last night and I actually came away from the place smiling.

Nelson isn't an instant world beater, mmmh wonder why. Ffs give the kids a chance to find their feet before writing them off as not good enough. I certainly haven't seen enough of him to make that judgement. If the senior players are going to continue to perform then hopefully the kids that get a game will have a better chance of showing what they are capable of.