Manure (H) New Years Day 8pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
OneBardGooner

Re: Manure (H) New Years Day 8pm

Post by OneBardGooner »

Goonuz71 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:57 am
Didnt quite know where to post this , so here it is ....Anyone else notice that Arteta hasn't worn any "branded" clothing yet ?...No AFC No Adidas Nothing , All the new backroom staff are "branded "as normal ....Trivial but its bugging me .
Neither does Pep . :rubchin:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

northbank123 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:28 am
Yes Augie they undoubtedly look better because of the shape and protection. Jonny Evans has looked decent at Leicester but would have been an utter car crash in our defence - just better protection. Likewise Huth and Morgan were bang average cloggers, but rock solid that season that they had Kante sitting in front of them and grafters like Albrighton and Drinkwater. Meanwhile somebody like Vermaelen was to my mind a very good CB who was made to look shaky a lot of the time by relying on the likes of Denilson for protection and playing alongside the likes of Squillaci, Eboue and Clichy and in front of panicky keepers like Almunia or Fabianski.

Torreira has been excellent in the last few games, and whilst still very average then at least in sitting deeper than Xhaka helps add more shape and protection.
Agree with this. I've been saying for years that while we've had some poor defenders, we've also had some useful ones that have been made to look bad in our kamikaze playing style. The last thing you'd want to be in a Wenger team is a centre half, because you'll be exposed time and again, with no cover from midfield and full backs further forward than the wingers. Once the ball was turned over, the two central defenders often found themselves with four or five opposition players breaking on them and desperately trying to cover the whole back line.

As NB123 says, Vermaelen was a class act initially (we soon ruined that career) and I thought that Koscielny had to hold the back line together for years. Many on here didn't like him, but in a team that knew how to defend, Kos would have been outstanding imo.

I've always said that in a Wenger side (or it seems an Emery one), even Baresi and Beckenbauer would have ended up as quivering wrecks at centre back.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

rodders999 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:30 am
Goonuz71 wrote:
Didnt quite know where to post this , so here it is ....Anyone else notice that Arteta hasn't worn any "branded" clothing yet ?...No AFC No Adidas Nothing , All the new backroom staff are "branded "as normal ....Trivial but its bugging me .
He does wear all the gear in the pre game pressers and interviews that take place during the week but like Pep wears his own stuff on the sideline.

I was going to say that I don't give a fuck what he wears, but I actually prefer him wearing his own stuff, as opposed to the cheap Club tat that Wenger used to dress in. I never failed to notice how badly the French fucker used to dress. For a bloke earning millions each year, he wore cheap clobber, cheap, nasty shoes and couldn't knot his tie properly. Another reason to denigrate the *word censored*. :barscarf:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:43 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Goonuz71 wrote:
He does wear all the gear in the pre game pressers and interviews that take place during the week but like Pep wears his own stuff on the sideline.

I was going to say that I don't give a fuck what he wears, but I actually prefer him wearing his own stuff, as opposed to the cheap Club tat that Wenger used to dress in. I never failed to notice how badly the French fucker used to dress. For a bloke earning millions each year, he wore cheap clobber, cheap, nasty shoes and couldn't knot his tie properly. Another reason to denigrate the *word censored*. :barscarf:
He was always wearing the club gear on his holidays as well, after he left still using club gear...hes a miser

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Retro Gunner wrote:
rodders999 wrote:
Goonuz71 wrote:

Haha calm down there, Ghost of Versace. :lol: :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Redarmy wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:56 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
rodders999 wrote:
Goonuz71 wrote:

He was always wearing the club gear on his holidays as well, after he left still using club gear...hes a miser
Look. That is because he is a fan of the club he singlehandedly built. :lol:

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:17 pm
Redarmy wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
rodders999 wrote:
Goonuz71 wrote:

Look. That is because he is a fannybulge,thank fuck hes out of the club he singlehandedly ruined. :lol:
Fixed for you my auld Dublin pal 8)

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:52 pm
Well life at the bowl is a whole lot more positive all of a sudden, in fact it's actually enjoyable again. Some of us who went last night even went straight out to work afterwards :wink:

Nelson isn't an instant world beater, mmmh wonder why. Ffs give the kids a chance to find their feet before writing them off as not good enough. I certainly haven't seen enough of him to make that judgement. If the senior players are going to continue to perform then hopefully the kids that get a game will have a better chance of showing what they are capable of.
It’s far easier for any youngster to slot into a team that is doing well, with little pressure on them. ( same goes for new additions too)
It’s very much been a case of the senior players letting us down this season and the youngsters have been game but lacking the experience or in the case of Nelson and Saka the physicality difference has shown from youth / reserve team level.

Let’s all hope the senior pro’s have sorted out their little tantrums - for any professional to not give their all is a chuffing disgrace.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

StuartL wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:47 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Well life at the bowl is a whole lot more positive all of a sudden, in fact it's actually enjoyable again. Some of us who went last night even went straight out to work afterwards :wink:

Nelson isn't an instant world beater, mmmh wonder why. Ffs give the kids a chance to find their feet before writing them off as not good enough. I certainly haven't seen enough of him to make that judgement. If the senior players are going to continue to perform then hopefully the kids that get a game will have a better chance of showing what they are capable of.
It’s far easier for any youngster to slot into a team that is doing well, with little pressure on them. ( same goes for new additions too)
It’s very much been a case of the senior players letting us down this season and the youngsters have been game but lacking the experience or in the case of Nelson and Saka the physicality difference has shown from youth / reserve team level.

Let’s all hope the senior pro’s have sorted out their little tantrums - for any professional to not give their all is a chuffing disgrace.
All professionals would like to think they are there to give there all, goes without saying
But when you have a manager who is totally lost, so weak he cannot make a decision has no man mangement skills or tactical organistation ability understandable you get frustrated and that makes you miserable which then reflects in your performance.

augie

Post by augie »

StuartL wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:47 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:

It’s very much been a case of the senior players letting us down this season and the youngsters have been game but lacking the experience or in the case of Nelson and Saka the physicality difference has shown from youth / reserve team level

Frequently when a young player comes into the team initially you will see him running around like a lunatic and trying too hard to impress, but nelson seems to be the complete opposite - he seems lazy at times, and certainly has fcuk all interest in tracking back and helping his full back out. Someone said earlier that he did well on loan in germany last season, but I think that it is more accurate to say that he did well early last season, but ended up spending much of the season on the bench

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Theoperator wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:39 pm
Think we need to give Nelson a chance, he did well in Germany but we know playing in the pl is very different . Many experienced European club players struggle for a season so it’s no surprise if a young player takes a while to adapt
It’s a quiet house tonight here :D :D
How many times have we beaten them in the last 6 years I can only remember the game 2 (?)years ago where again Ozil was sublime
Absolutely want him to succeed. I enjoy the way the academy lads support each other through the games. Shame no one said a word to Leno after his mistake against the chavs on the pitch. Social media different story.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:48 pm
Theoperator wrote:
Think we need to give Nelson a chance, he did well in Germany but we know playing in the pl is very different . Many experienced European club players struggle for a season so it’s no surprise if a young player takes a while to adapt
How many times have we beaten them in the last 6 years I can only remember the game 2 (?)years ago where again Ozil was sublime
Absolutely want him to succeed. I enjoy the way the academy lads support each other through the games. Shame no one said a word to Leno after his mistake against the chavs on the pitch. Social media different story.
Yeah, I noticed nobody picked him up and told him not to worry he has saved us countless times - he might have needed a word of encouragement.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

StuartL wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:47 am
Nos89 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:48 pm
Theoperator wrote:
Yeah, I noticed nobody picked him up and told him not to worry he has saved us countless times - he might have needed a word of encouragement.

A lot of 'Leno' chants from the clock end during the second half of manure which was something of a first but then we are the classy end of the bowl :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

falkirk goon wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:45 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:17 pm
Redarmy wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
rodders999 wrote:

Look. That is because he is a fannybulge,thank fuck hes out of the club he singlehandedly ruined. :lol:
Fixed for you my auld Dublin pal 8)

As so often, Falkirk cuts to the chase and is on the money. :lol: :lol: :barscarf: