Palace (A) PL 11/01 @ 12:30

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SteveO 35

Re: Palace (A) PL 11/01 @ 12:30

Post by SteveO 35 »

These players don't perform well for 90 mintues under this manager, the previous one, the one before him and the old c.unt before him, so I'm delighted to see everyone so hyper confident about the easy win!

Play like we did in the first half against the Mancs we'll be halfway to a decent result. Play like we did in the first half against Leeds or the second half against Chelsea and we'll be losing and playing catch up in the second half

I honestly don't know which team will turn up from half to half, let alone game to game.

1-1 on the basis of 45 excellent minutes, and 45 minutes of dog shit - at that point we'll have 28 points from 22 games (an average of 1.27 and a GD of minus 2) versus the 18 points from 13 games (an average of 1.38 and a GD of minus 1) when we fired Emery

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Redarmy wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:52 pm
Herd wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:32 pm
I'm seriously worried about a lot of comments on here regarding Arteta ,as if each game is a massive hurdle to vault over and if we fail it questions his very existence at the club.
The job he needs to do will take time,and hopefully will involve purging the club of the toxicity that permeates every crevice.
Exactly all a bit knee jerk and hysterical...had reservations but 100% behind Arteta
:high5:

Herd

Post by Herd »

For me it's all about effort ,something weve seen so little of for some years now. A huff here a puff there ,a small hiccup,a sneeze and the pack of cards collapsed.
They ran out of steam against chelsea and Mufc but they held on against utd.
We have taken the fa cup lightly in recent years despite winning it a lot.
After a lackluster 1st half we went after leeds .
We need to be doing it every week but we still have injuries and sub standard players. This will take time,and money.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

I've said it will take 8 games to get an idea of what Arteta's direction is, it may even take longer. It's not just about him it's also massively about the players and how they take to his ideas and direction. This game is another chance to see how the team reacts, so far there have been good things and bad in nearly every game but there are small signs of improvement amongst the bad things, we need to see another small improvement even if it is only keeping the tempo up for an extra 10 mins of the match.

This match like all of them at the moment is a potential banana skin, win and it is potentially signs of further improvement, even a draw wouldn't necessarily be bad if there is further improvement but a loss could undo things badly because we are too fragile with this set of players and losing to this lot could seriously make the wheels fall off once again.

I didnt like the Arteta appointment but it is what it is and I hope he can continue to improve the team even if it is a little bit at a time and I will support him until he proves otherwise.

I'd like to see a 2-0 win with no hair raising moments preferably, but that might be asking a bit much yet :wink:
Last edited by GoonerMuzz on Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

CloakedGooner wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:49 pm
Reckon we'll win 3-1 :barscarf:

Interesting fact for you guys:- Sydenham Hill (the home of Crystal Palace fc) once housed the Crystal Palace from 1854 until it was destroyed by a fire on 30th November 1936 :typing:
Interesting fact no 2

When I lived in Streatham we were bussed over to Crystal Palace for swimming lessons as my school didn’t have a pool

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

StuartL wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:43 pm
CloakedGooner wrote:

Interesting fact for you guys:- Sydenham Hill (the home of Crystal Palace fc) once housed the Crystal Palace from 1854 until it was destroyed by a fire on 30th November 1936 :typing:
Interesting fact no 2

When I lived in Streatham we were bussed over to Crystal Palace for swimming lessons as my school didn’t have a pool

Couldn't you have just gone ice skating instead :-P

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:01 pm
StuartL wrote:
CloakedGooner wrote:

Interesting fact no 2

Couldn't you have just gone ice skating instead :-P
Interesting fact no 3 , I didn’t go ice skating at Streatham until after I had moved away to Nr Southend !

John F

Post by John F »

StuartL wrote:
CloakedGooner wrote:

Interesting fact no 2

Interesting fact no 4
I used to read their electric meter in the 90s and no I didn't add a few digits to their Bill .Different story for any twat who was offensive or let their dog attack me they would be unofficially fined.Didn't notice too many Spud fans as they would of been fined too and if anyone was ugly,had a fake tan,asked me to take my shoes off,said "I thought you were father Christmas" at Xmas time , moaned if I woke them up before day break,they would also be fined.Be nice to your local meter reader.

Clash

Post by Clash »

Interesting fact no.5

My grandad actually watched the Crystal Palace burn down in 1936 .... although it was from several miles away and on the other side of the river. He was nowhere near it - honest guv!

Clash

Post by Clash »

Interesting fact no.6 - my mate frog-eyed Benny used to live in the area ... said he moved away because the electric bills were inexplicably high :shock:

John F

Post by John F »

Clash wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:06 pm
Interesting fact no.6 - my mate frog-eyed Benny used to live in the area ... said he moved away because the electric bills were inexplicably high :shock:
Yes I remember him 100 extra digits for each eye. :D

Clash

Post by Clash »

:lol: :lol:

goonertone

Post by goonertone »

Herd wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:32 pm
I'm seriously worried about a lot of comments on here regarding Arteta ,as if each game is a massive hurdle to vault over and if we fail it questions his very existence at the club.
The job he needs to do will take time,and hopefully will involve purging the club of the toxicity that permeates every crevice.
Spot on. Sorting out the shite situation he's inherited will be more of a marathon than a sprint. I can handle the set backs as long as clear progress is seen to be made.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Interesting(ish) Fact No 7:

When my family moved to Norf Laaahdaaan from Wales - with my Father's job - He was an Adviser in the Military - My first day at the new school I got into a fight with a kid called Russell (aka: Russell North Eye) - He has a wonky eye, and after that first scrap he taught me Cockney Rhyming Slang and is still one of my closest friends today - Even though he Supports Crystal Palace.
But I don't know if he gor 'fined' for having a wonky eye.

augie

Post by augie »

Another one of the tight/small grounds that we have had so much trouble in recent years, and fcuk knows how we will get on here (as Steve O rightly says). If they score first then I cant see us getting anything from this game cos, to be fair to the palace fans, they do get well behind their team and create a decent atmosphere when they are winning. I am expecting to see a lot of diving/falling over from xhaka and the douzi (if he gets brought on), cos it is truly embarrassing watching them collapse every time an opposition player even breathes on them :oops: :oops: I would also think that this is not a game or pitch that will suit ozil, and if I recall properly last season saw one of ozil's worst games since he came to the club, and the level of criticism of him from the fans and media afterwards went up significantly.

I honestly cant predict how this will go - this is one of those games where I would go a bit more direct than usual, so I would either go 4-3-1-2 or your traditional 4-4-2, cos playing 2 plus ozil in the middle of the park will not work