Palace (A) PL 11/01 @ 12:30

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Post Reply
User avatar
SteveO 35
Posts: 16722
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 7:01 pm
Location: Abou's fan club

Re: Palace (A) PL 11/01 @ 12:30

Post by SteveO 35 »

clockender1 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:59 pm
Arteta said we totally switched off for the goal - which is completely unacceptable, and he's very unhappy about.

He is spot on. These are professionals who should be 100% focused, and 100% comitted.

Im encouraged that he can at least see our problems and is prepared to state them publicly.
Yeah I listened to that too. The issue is whether of course the wig wearing c.unt will give him anywhere near the funds necessary to do anything about improving it. Sokratis, David Luiz, Kolasinac and Mustafi are too long in the tooth and had too many years getting away with murder to do anything different. That just leaves Bellerin who for me isn't a defender, Kierney who seems to be permanently crocked, Holding likewise and kids. Unless a proper right back and CB come in, we could send for Pep and still switch off time and time again. They just aren't good enough

User avatar
northbank123
Posts: 12179
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:05 am
Location: Newcastle

Re: Palace (A) PL 11/01 @ 12:30

Post by northbank123 »

Agree Rodders, it’s a fucking joke. You can have four video assistant refs and every decision scrutinised by a majority decision, but as long as it’s the same pricks bottling decisions out on the pitch it’ll be a disaster.

Not sending off Jorginho wasn’t an error of judgment, it was a complete bottle job as the ref had dished out yellows for much more borderline and less severe and unintentional fouls all game until then. There was no possibility that he misjudged it, just a complete disgrace that should result in the referee not managing a football league game again for a good while at least.

Ayew today was a joke. United kicked the shit out of us. Against Norwich Guendouzi nearly had his shin snapped in two by a shocking tackle straight over the ball, not even looked at by VaR.

And by the way, huge huge dive by Zaha again at the death. Referee is 5 yards away, sees it clearly but doesn’t book him. Again, shouldn’t manage another game for a great length of time for having zero bottle.

Meanwhile at Spurs, van Dijk gets away with the most cynical of fouls (he is the second coming of Jesus Christ mind) and VAR doesn’t even look at Robertson flying in halfway up Moura’s shin in another leg breaker.

I don’t think that it’s all a conspiracy against us, I just think that unless you are Liverpool it’s a fucking lottery.

User avatar
rodders999
Posts: 12110
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:59 pm
Location: Diamond Club

Re: Palace (A) PL 11/01 @ 12:30

Post by rodders999 »

Image

Not even a booking :roll:

User avatar
Midz
Posts: 2578
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:36 pm
Location: Gabba Gabba Hey!!

Re: Palace (A) PL 11/01 @ 12:30

Post by Midz »

sk-gtfo wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:05 pm
Image
Awesome!!

User avatar
SteveO 35
Posts: 16722
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 7:01 pm
Location: Abou's fan club

Re: Palace (A) PL 11/01 @ 12:30

Post by SteveO 35 »

Midz wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:46 pm
sk-gtfo wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:05 pm
Image
Awesome!!
I wonder if our dear owner recognises the stadium in the background?

User avatar
g88ner
Posts: 13863
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:17 pm

Re: Palace (A) PL 11/01 @ 12:30

Post by g88ner »

rodders999 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:38 pm
Image

Not even a booking :roll:
Maybe I’m thinking of the wrong incident, but Robertson won the ball cleanly didn’t he and that image was the accidental follow trough? If so, not a red in a million years!

User avatar
Ray C
Posts: 705
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:51 am
Location: Northbank - Tas

Re: Palace (A) PL 11/01 @ 12:30

Post by Ray C »

Scum lose at home & we get a point in our relegation fight - awsome !!. :barscarf: :barscarf:

User avatar
Bradywasking
Posts: 5680
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:14 am

Re: Palace (A) PL 11/01 @ 12:30

Post by Bradywasking »

g88ner wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:25 am
rodders999 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:38 pm
Image

Not even a booking :roll:
Maybe I’m thinking of the wrong incident, but Robertson won the ball cleanly didn’t he and that image was the accidental follow trough? If so, not a red in a million years!
I would agree with you but I have heard pundits and Dermot Gallagher say that it is not about winning the ball alone, there is also the reckless element to the tackle and if it is reckless and endangers an opponent then it becomes a foul. Disclaimer. None of the above rules apply to Liverpool players.

User avatar
rodders999
Posts: 12110
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:59 pm
Location: Diamond Club

Re: Palace (A) PL 11/01 @ 12:30

Post by rodders999 »

Exactly. Just because you win the ball doesn’t mean you can then follow through with impunity. If you catch someone studs up half way up their leg after flying into a tackle you’ll see red.....unless it’s Liverpool of course.

They’re 50 points ahead and STILL getting all the decisions.

Cannon
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:03 pm

Re: Palace (A) PL 11/01 @ 12:30

Post by Cannon »

augie wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:03 pm
Cannon wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:39 pm
xisstential wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:30 pm
Cannon wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:37 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:25 pm


Calm down Shirley/ Its not the 1950s. Video footage and endless statistics exist for every minute of every game Xhaka has played for us. Supposedly these super coaches turn up with a dossier on every single player. The days of a clean slate was when you couldn't judge a player because you hadn't watched him....or is Arteta arrogant enough to think he's the man who can turn that lumbering, dollop of shit into something special? If he does, then he's even more out of his depth than I thought to start with. There are managers out there who would be brave enough, confident enough and experienced enough to bomb the c.unt out of the door in this transfer window. Clean slate my arse
you're not being realistic. if you're expecting arteta to come in and disrupt the squad by dropping players before even giving them a chance then you're being irrational. klopp gave the likes of mignolet and karius a plethora of opportunities before they got the chop, pep did the same with demichelis, that's what happens under a new manager. arteta is giving xhaka a chance and it wouldn't be any different if allegri or ancelotti had come in.
Here is a guy that has flipped the club and the fans off, who has stated that he wants to leave, an offer is on the table......and our new manager wants "to give him a chance"
under the previous manager.

a new manager came in and gave him a clean slate.

that's the norm.




See this is where fans like you end up tripping themselves up - you claim that it is understandable that arteta gives xhaka a new chance cos all that shit happened under a previous manager, yet you are justifying everton for selling tosun cos he wasn't a starter for them, even though that too was under a previous manager :roll:
tosun is a completely different situation.

tosun isn't a first team starter and seen as pivotal to their system. ancelotti got rid of a dead rung player. xhaka is seen as a key player in our system.

had ancelotti got rid of someone like richarlison that would be a comparable point. but it's a non-argument.

User avatar
SteveO 35
Posts: 16722
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 7:01 pm
Location: Abou's fan club

Re: Palace (A) PL 11/01 @ 12:30

Post by SteveO 35 »

Cannon wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:20 am
augie wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:03 pm
Cannon wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:39 pm
xisstential wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:30 pm
Cannon wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:37 pm


you're not being realistic. if you're expecting arteta to come in and disrupt the squad by dropping players before even giving them a chance then you're being irrational. klopp gave the likes of mignolet and karius a plethora of opportunities before they got the chop, pep did the same with demichelis, that's what happens under a new manager. arteta is giving xhaka a chance and it wouldn't be any different if allegri or ancelotti had come in.
Here is a guy that has flipped the club and the fans off, who has stated that he wants to leave, an offer is on the table......and our new manager wants "to give him a chance"
under the previous manager.

a new manager came in and gave him a clean slate.

that's the norm.




See this is where fans like you end up tripping themselves up - you claim that it is understandable that arteta gives xhaka a new chance cos all that shit happened under a previous manager, yet you are justifying everton for selling tosun cos he wasn't a starter for them, even though that too was under a previous manager :roll:
tosun is a completely different situation.

tosun isn't a first team starter and seen as pivotal to their system. ancelotti got rid of a dead rung player. xhaka is seen as a key player in our system.

had ancelotti got rid of someone like richarlison that would be a comparable point. but it's a non-argument.
What utter crap - if Arteta got rid of Aubameyang it would be comparable to getting rid of Richarlison. Richarlison has been their star performer amongst a sea of shit. You are defending a guy who has played over 100 times for the club, told the fans to fuck off, had one foot out of the door before Arteta arrived and he would have had the blessing of just about every Gooner if he sold him. You think the Everton fans would thank Ancelotti in equal measure for selling their best player??

As Augie said - Ancelotti already seems to have worked out that he doesn't fancy the England keeper and it hasn't taken long. Tosun also happened to cost Everton a lot of money, so as many have said on here too, Arteta is Kroenke's yes man and if the owner wants to keep the crock of shit we spent millions on (Mustafi, Xhaka etc) he will do what he says because he's delighted to have the job. He could make a call now to flog Xhaka for 20m and buy better players from the Championship or cheaper leagues in Europe - but he hasn't and he won't, because on the back of 4 half decent performances he thinks he's unearthed a gem which is naive at best, insane at worst

Cannon
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:03 pm

Re: Palace (A) PL 11/01 @ 12:30

Post by Cannon »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:04 am
Cannon wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:20 am
augie wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:03 pm
Cannon wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:39 pm
xisstential wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:30 pm


Here is a guy that has flipped the club and the fans off, who has stated that he wants to leave, an offer is on the table......and our new manager wants "to give him a chance"
under the previous manager.

a new manager came in and gave him a clean slate.

that's the norm.




See this is where fans like you end up tripping themselves up - you claim that it is understandable that arteta gives xhaka a new chance cos all that shit happened under a previous manager, yet you are justifying everton for selling tosun cos he wasn't a starter for them, even though that too was under a previous manager :roll:
tosun is a completely different situation.

tosun isn't a first team starter and seen as pivotal to their system. ancelotti got rid of a dead rung player. xhaka is seen as a key player in our system.

had ancelotti got rid of someone like richarlison that would be a comparable point. but it's a non-argument.
What utter crap - if Arteta got rid of Aubameyang it would be comparable to getting rid of Richarlison. Richarlison has been their star performer amongst a sea of shit. You are defending a guy who has played over 100 times for the club, told the fans to fuck off, had one foot out of the door before Arteta arrived and he would have had the blessing of just about every Gooner if he sold him. You think the Everton fans would thank Ancelotti in equal measure for selling their best player??

As Augie said - Ancelotti already seems to have worked out that he doesn't fancy the England keeper and it hasn't taken long. Tosun also happened to cost Everton a lot of money, so as many have said on here too, Arteta is Kroenke's yes man and if the owner wants to keep the crock of shit we spent millions on (Mustafi, Xhaka etc) he will do what he says because he's delighted to have the job. He could make a call now to flog Xhaka for 20m and buy better players from the Championship or cheaper leagues in Europe - but he hasn't and he won't, because on the back of 4 half decent performances he thinks he's unearthed a gem which is naive at best, insane at worst
it's not utter crap, it's a completely logical argument.

you're comparing ancelotti getting rid of a dead rung player thats bottom of the pecking order to arteta getting rid of xhaka, who is viewed as a key player in our system. that's laughable.

richarlison is a key player in everton's system, hence the comparison. i could have used digne or holgate instead to make the same argument. the point is ancelotti got rid of a player that's the equivalent of elneny here (tosun hasn't been sold, he's been loaned out to palace). both are not part of first team plans and are dead rung players, that's why they've been moved on.

secondly, you're praising ancelotti based on rumours that he wants pickford out but when i put forth the rumour that arteta wants xhaka out and may be planning to replace him behind his back it's being discredited. that's hypocritical.

User avatar
northbank123
Posts: 12179
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:05 am
Location: Newcastle

Re: Palace (A) PL 11/01 @ 12:30

Post by northbank123 »

The issue with that logic being that nobody with half a fucking brain views Xhaka as key to our system.

The guy would get into very few if any other PL teams. He is an absolute carthorse, gives possession away in dangerous areas more than any player I’ve ever seen, walking yellow card, useless going forward and generally lacks discipline. The only positive is that he can ping a good 40 yard diagonal pass if nobody closes him down.

It is blindingly obvious even after a few games that the player who is key to our system in that area is Torreira. When he isn’t on the pitch doing the energetic graft, Xhaka and Guendouzi just wander about ineffectively as they’ve done for a long time.

Cannon
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:03 pm

Re: Palace (A) PL 11/01 @ 12:30

Post by Cannon »

i don't like him and want him out for what he did by disrespecting our club & badge but im just trying to offer a perspective as to why arteta has given him a chance.

it is weird how every manager sees something in him though. he's the captain of switzerland, wenger loved him, unai loved him, arteta even said city were thinking of bringing him in before he moved to us so clearly there's something there. my theory on him is i think he smashes it in training, i mean you can just imagine it can't you... playing 5 yard passes here and there, spraying balls around, looking boss without any pressing and pressure on him. but then he crumbles on game day.

i don't think he'll be here in the long run. we need a better player next to torreira if we want to take our game up a level.

User avatar
SteveO 35
Posts: 16722
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 7:01 pm
Location: Abou's fan club

Re: Palace (A) PL 11/01 @ 12:30

Post by SteveO 35 »

northbank123 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:34 am
The issue with that logic being that nobody with half a fucking brain views Xhaka as key to our system.

The guy would get into very few if any other PL teams. He is an absolute carthorse, gives possession away in dangerous areas more than any player I’ve ever seen, walking yellow card, useless going forward and generally lacks discipline. The only positive is that he can ping a good 40 yard diagonal pass if nobody closes him down.

It is blindingly obvious even after a few games that the player who is key to our system in that area is Torreira. When he isn’t on the pitch doing the energetic graft, Xhaka and Guendouzi just wander about ineffectively as they’ve done for a long time.
Indeed, that's the point.....just a shame some can't see it. The very fact he seems as key is exactly the fucking problem

Post Reply