Olympiacos H Thurs 27th Feb, 8pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Bradywasking

Re: Olympiacos H Thurs 27th Feb, 8pm

Post by Bradywasking »

Disastrous performance that got the result that it deserved. Probably get stick here but I thought Mustafi was our man of the match. Martinelli added something different when he came on. Saka did try get into decent positions. Lacazette had a nightmare, Xhaka is a liability, even his back pass that led to their winner was too slow. Not clearing Leno of blame for it but was a back pass necessary?
Aubameyang was on the edge of the game and Pepe was too predictable. After three or four minutes I thought we were in for a stroll. I think the players felt the same and at no time except after their winner did I really sense urgency in our attack..Yes we had a lot of possession in the last thirty minutes of normal time but it was too often slow and ponderous.
Where do we go from here ? Arteta has a massive job on his hands . Hate nights like this..This is the pits.

HerbertChapman

Post by HerbertChapman »

Quote of the night goes to Jonathan Pierce talking about Joe Pillock...

"He's been on 20 minutes and hasn't really caught up with the pace of the game"

The pace was WALKING PACE!!

As someone else already said, I doubt he'd even make it at Palace. Next stop some mid table Championship side.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

HerbertChapman wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:32 pm

As someone else already said, I doubt he'd even make it at Palace. Next stop some mid table Championship side.
You're outing a 20 year old trying to break into the team?

How about outing Xhaka, Mustafi, Ozil and now Leno and Luiz. None of them are good enough to play for Palace let alone the PL. Ohh and having a few decent games as Arsenal fans seem to be saying with Ozil, Mustafi and Xhaka doesn't make them good enough to wear the shirt. Mustafi should be focusing on his defending as much as he seems to with his hair, the utter prick.

I'm glad we got knocked out of this shit comp, we need to clear out the dross this summer no excuses.
Last edited by nut flush gooner on Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Errrrrr... Kroenke OUT.

What the f*ck more needs to be said.

Until wiggy goes I'll find better things to do than watch Arsenal.

No CL means we'll be shopping at poundland again, nailed on midtable club for many years to come, assuming we don't get a real bad manager...

FA cup is great but it does nothing financially so we're screwed, Chavs, Spuds and United will outspend us now and there is no point even talking about the clubs above them.

Project Emirates is now officially complete = it has turned us into a turd of a club. Good luck with the ST renewals KSE :twisted:

:censored:
Last edited by sk-gtfo on Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

On my way back from the match - still stunned at what I just watched. Honeymoon period for Arteta well and truly over.

His decisions and substitutions tonight were just baffling. How Willock came on before Martinelli is beyond me. Bellerin was getting slaggedoff by everyone around me.

Pandemonium in the North Bank when Auba scored.
I suddenly had a flashback however to 2006 for some reason - Wigan league cup....last minute away goal. out.. yep it happened again :(

HerbertChapman

Post by HerbertChapman »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:39 pm
HerbertChapman wrote:

How about outing Xhaka, Mustafi, Ozil and now Leno and Luiz. None of them are good enough to play for Palace let alone the PL. Ohh and having a few decent games as Arsenal fans seem to be saying with Ozil, Mustafi and Xhaka doesn't make them good enough to wear the shirt. Mustafi should be focusing on his defending as much as he seems to with his hair, the utter prick.

I'm glad we got knocked out of this shit comp, we need to clear out the dross this summer no excuses.
Erm no...Just stating my opinion of the quality of a player regardless of his age. I'll say the same about Rhys Nelson. I don't feel the need to "out" Xhaka, Mustafi, Ozil, Leno, Luiz et al. And notice that I haven't "outed" Saka or Martinelli? Both young players too. Why's that you think?

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

northbank123 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:50 pm
Agree that bringing on Willock was an embarrassment. The guy has zero chance of making it as PL footballer, much less an Arsenal player. If we sold him to Palace he’d struggle to make their squad and would be out on his Arse in a year.

Sadly not the only member of our side you would say that about.
That statement has lost all meaning, just about anybody can make it as an Arsenal player. Which top half PL side has had more terrible players than us in the last five, if not ten years???

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Just got back from the game - so glad I was there to witness the marvellous progress we've been making. 120 minutes of utter rat shit

People had the cheek to mock Emery's 22 game unbeaten run, claiming it was riddled with average performances and lucky wins....well fuck me give me a lucky general anytime. This 2020 unbeaten run that I've heard so much about contained the worst 45 minutes I thought I'd seen all season at home to Leeds (until tonight), a 0-0 draw at Burnley with Rodriguez failing to hit a cow's arse with a banjo, a 1-1 draw with Sheffield United which saw us clinging on in the second half and last weekend's Keystone Kops effort at the back against Everton rescued by Aubameyang who nearly did it again tonight. When he fucks off where are this rag bag lot in terms of progress....fucking nowhere. Worst Arsenal team since the end of GG's reign playing the slowest pace, most boring sterile football since that mid 90s vintage too. Two hours of shivering cold shite - if Burnley and Sheffield United are managed by dinosaurs then take me to Jurassic Park

Hopefully everyone now sees what I mean about not possessing a right back at the club. If that fashion icon is the best we've got we are royally fucked. Nice of us to be paying Southampton's injured RB's wages though

22 games unbeaten, Europa League final and 1 point off the CL - what a load of old crap that was

Give me the glorious unbeaten run of 2020 any day and defeat in the round of 32 against a team whose only win away in Europe in the last 12 attempts was at Dudelange

Long live the revolution - endless improvement for all to see

nut flush gooner

HerbertChapman wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:47 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
HerbertChapman wrote:

Erm no...Just stating my opinion of the quality of a player regardless of his age. I'll say the same about Rhys Nelson. I don't feel the need to "out" Xhaka, Mustafi, Ozil, Leno, Luiz et al. And notice that I haven't "outed" Saka or Martinelli? Both young players too. Why's that you think?
Willock is a player with potential. Have you forgotten about his cameo goal against Pool earlier this season?

All in all, Willock isnt a player who has had a bad season. As I said he's finding his feet, in a team that is devoid of confidence. I for one want to see him in a team with a more stable defence before making a decision on his ability.

What does Martinelli and Saka have to do with anything? We are talking about Willock, and you've outed him on the basis of a handful of games.

HerbertChapman

Post by HerbertChapman »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:18 am
HerbertChapman wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
HerbertChapman wrote:

Willock is a player with potential. Have you forgotten about his cameo goal against Pool earlier this season?

All in all, Willock isnt a player who has had a bad season. As I said he's finding his feet, in a team that is devoid of confidence. I for one want to see him in a team with a more stable defence before making a decision on his ability.

What does Martinelli and Saka have to do with anything? We are talking about Willock, and you've outed him on the basis of a handful of games.
A handful of games? The lad's made 48 appearances in total. :lol:

And I mentioned Saka and Martinelli as you seemed to accuse me of unreasonably "outing" a young player.

nut flush gooner

HerbertChapman wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:24 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
HerbertChapman wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
HerbertChapman wrote:

And I mentioned Saka and Martinelli as you seemed to accuse me of unreasonably "outing" a young player.
Come on you know as well as anyone this is his break through year. He's been involved in 31 games this season, a lot of them from the bench.

It's ridiculous to make a judgement on a young player, who hasn't done anything wrong unlike the more established players like Luiz tonight perhaps?

You are being completely unreasonable in outing Willock, he wasn't a major factor in our loss tonight it was the defence again.

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

Load of bollocks, why does Pepe come inside every time he gets the ball ??. George Graham would love it. He's doing the fullback's job for him just like the old Arsenal back 4 of years gone by !!. With a retreating defence the only way is wide, fast & cross it from the bye line. At least try to see what he can do on the left hand side. Lacozette & Ozil should have been replaced at half time. :barscarf: :barscarf:

HerbertChapman

Post by HerbertChapman »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:32 am
HerbertChapman wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:24 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
HerbertChapman wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

Come on you know as well as anyone this is his break through year. He's been involved in 31 games this season, a lot of them from the bench.

It's ridiculous to make a judgement on a young player, who hasn't done anything wrong unlike the more established players like Luiz tonight perhaps?

You are being completely unreasonable in outing Willock, he wasn't a major factor in our loss tonight it was the defence again.
So you think I'm basing my opinion on just tonight's game and not the entire 48 appearances? Oh dear. :lol:

And anyway, my original post was as much about Jonathan Pierce as it was Willock.

Sutch2

Post by Sutch2 »

xisstential wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:50 pm
northbank123 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:50 pm
Agree that bringing on Willock was an embarrassment. The guy has zero chance of making it as PL footballer, much less an Arsenal player. If we sold him to Palace he’d struggle to make their squad and would be out on his Arse in a year.

Sadly not the only member of our side you would say that about.
That statement has lost all meaning, just about anybody can make it as an Arsenal player. Which top half PL side has had more terrible players than us in the last five, if not ten years???
Yep. Wenger saw fit to introduce us to Denilson, Bendtner and all the others - the amount of Arsenal players I could reel off as nowhere near good enough from about 2005 onwards would probably far outstrip any other club that I can think of. What's just as bad is the board and AKBs let him get away with it.

Back onto tonight, this is utterly humiliating. Lacazette had two golden chances in the space of about three seconds in the second half, after the second one kindly fell for him he elected to fucking throw himself to the floor trying to head it - what on Earth has happened to him? As someone else said above, I'll be slaughtered for saying this as well but I thought Mustafi saved us more than once.

The attitude seems a repeat of that Monaco game a few years ago where we thought the tie was won, an entirely different squad (bar Ozil).

Not so much about the game itself but I've always hated why we give away fans such a large allocation - 3000 and right where opposition players can go and celebrate directly in front of them. It's so embarrassing seeing it on tele when opposition players are going mad in front of them - why can't we just put them up in the sticks?

If we can't break down this lot then we don't deserve to be in the next round. They're not world beaters, it's just yet another humiliating result and ones of this nature will continue until major changes are made at this club at the highest level - the lot of them.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Upon reflection going out at this stage could be a blessing for our league position and a major focus an push for top 4. Only 7 points away. That's the Arsenal way isn't it. Go out of Europe in februay/march. Sneak into top 4 and win the FA Cup. Although, a season out of Europe could actually do more good than harm. The season Chelski didn't qualfy for Europe, they won the league the following season. Liverpool have made a European final every season and improved league performance every season after not qualifying for European football.
Although, the immediate teams above us are as average and inconsistent as we have been, but we seem better equipped now with a decent coach.