Citeh (A) postponed due to The End Of Days.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
GoonerMuzz

Re: Citeh (A) postponed due to The End Of Days.

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Seriously couldn't give a shit about last nights performance, if the club, owners, management, coaches and players dont care why should I? It's been said by quite a few on here multiple times but this is not the Arsenal I started supporting pretty much 40 years ago now when I was a wee lad.

I'm quickly losing any interest in the performances and results and I find myself watching them purely because they have the name of a team I used to support and it is instinctive now.

It may seem melodramatic but last nights result and performance didnt even upset me, it has become the 'norm'.

I completely understand where Augie is coming from re-Arteta and his choices/selections but if he picked youngsters and it went 'tets' up (see what I did there) everyone would be questioning him and criticising his selections so he is on a hiding to nothing. Emery inherited a very poor squad and although he did try to improve things, barring one or two players, he failed to raise the level, in my opinion Arteta is now in an even worse position than Emery was and has even less room for maneuver financially and in terms of patience and goodwill.

Going back to the debates over getting rid of Wenger I said it would take potentially 3 or 4 Managers before we'd begin to see real change and even then it would require change at the top as well, nothing I have seen during the 2 seasons since Wenger was finally ousted has changed my view on this. As said above I can see things getting significantly worse before they get better, mid table definitely but relegation I'm not so sure about, there are teams that are run considerably worse than us that sit comfortably in the mid-table season after season.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Good to see we are consistent.....

The Gunners failed to register a single shot on target in their 3-0 defeat at the Etihad on Wednesday night,

Going to take years to get back to where we should be

P_Walnuts

Post by P_Walnuts »

Redarmy wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:24 am

The Gunners failed to register a single shot on target in their 3-0 defeat at the Etihad on Wednesday night,

I don't think it will happen before 2030, to be honest. By then, of course, football will be known as "Kicky" since the ball part of football will have been deemed too offensive by the Correctional Union Neutralising Triggers, a subdivision of the ministry of feminism which governs all leisure activities and who associate the word ball with testicles - the place where the evil substance known as testosterone is produced. Teams won't be given points for scoring the most goals. Instead, they will be awarded points based on how well they filled the quotas regarding skin colour, gender (if available), and sexual orientation. During the games, statements about social injustices are announced over the tannoy. The team which manages to get all of its players to drop to one knee the quickest is given bonus points.

It will be glorious. I, for one, can't wait to see our team Disarmed (renamed as previous name too violent) play at the Harmony Before Victory stadium. Imagine the excitement as the players rush to fall to their knees after the announcement blaring out of the tannoy reveals that the current Prime Minister admits to having once laughed at an uncensored episode of The Simpsons that featured Apu Nahasapeemapetilon! You think all eleven are on their knees but out of the corner of your eye you spot our star player, a gender-fluid, trisexual Person of Hue named Mesut Nowill, still standing. Luckily, our celebrated manager Theobore Wallflower spots him too and quickly gestures for him to get down. It's a close one, and it will have to go to the VAR..

Yes! Confirmed! Mesut Nowill made it down in time for us to receive a bonus Good Behaviour Virtue Point! The team celebrates by running towards the Nelson Mandela stand (formerly known as the North Bank) and performing a boundary-conscious group hug. The spectators, watching at home through Zoom, erupt. Some of the E-Ultra's get so excited they almost spill their cup of fair-trade soy frappuccino over their replica kicky kit which features the names of 12 individual sponsors including United Nations, Greenpeace, CNN, and Tampax as well as a graphite sketch of Greta Thunberg, a fluorescent rainbow and instead of a club emblem, a 6 by 6 inch velcro square on which you are required to display the current week's Care Patch™, an embroidered badge depicting a cause you are instructed to be outraged about.

We will run away with the league and be awarded fuck all because it's not about winning! :barscarf:

augie

Post by augie »

BFG4 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:54 am
The more I look at the club, the more i think a relegation scrap is coming in a few seasons. For most clubs as soon as they slide, they will address the issues and the owner will invest heavily to keep said club competitive. We have an absent owner who will force Arteta to slog along with average to mediocre players and insult the fans intelligence by saying the club can only afford free signings and loan deals. The fans who continue to pay in to watch(when they could) the shit the club serves up are enablers and it could take us being near the bottom of the league for those same people to wake up.

1. As much as we have fallen, and as shit as we are, we wont be dragged in properly to a relegation scrap anytime soon cos there will always be shit teams like norwich to keep us safe

2. No-one will force arteta to do shit - he will think that he is better than the type of shit you describe and he will be off. Funnily enough his stock might actually rise if he is manager of a totally dysfunctional club despite not showing fcuk all to suggest that he is a decent manager :roll:

3. The fans wont continue to pay in - the last few seasons have highlighted the fact that the club have lost the fans and they are walking away in droves. We are no longer an attractive show for the tourists and that market has dried up too

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

P_Walnuts wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:16 pm
Redarmy wrote:

I don't think it will happen before 2030, to be honest. By then, of course, football will be known as "Kicky" since the ball part of football will have been deemed too offensive by the Correctional Union Neutralising Triggers, a subdivision of the ministry of feminism which governs all leisure activities and who associate the word ball with testicles - the place where the evil substance known as testosterone is produced. Teams won't be given points for scoring the most goals. Instead, they will be awarded points based on how well they filled the quotas regarding skin colour, gender (if available), and sexual orientation. During the games, statements about social injustices are announced over the tannoy. The team which manages to get all of its players to drop to one knee the quickest is given bonus points.

It will be glorious. I, for one, can't wait to see our team Disarmed (renamed as previous name too violent) play at the Harmony Before Victory stadium. Imagine the excitement as the players rush to fall to their knees after the announcement blaring out of the tannoy reveals that the current Prime Minister admits to having once laughed at an uncensored episode of The Simpsons that featured Apu Nahasapeemapetilon! You think all eleven are on their knees but out of the corner of your eye you spot our star player, a gender-fluid, trisexual Person of Hue named Mesut Nowill, still standing. Luckily, our celebrated manager Theobore Wallflower spots him too and quickly gestures for him to get down. It's a close one, and it will have to go to the VAR..

Yes! Confirmed! Mesut Nowill made it down in time for us to receive a bonus Good Behaviour Virtue Point! The team celebrates by running towards the Nelson Mandela stand (formerly known as the North Bank) and performing a boundary-conscious group hug. The spectators, watching at home through Zoom, erupt. Some of the E-Ultra's get so excited they almost spill their cup of fair-trade soy frappuccino over their replica kicky kit which features the names of 12 individual sponsors including United Nations, Greenpeace, CNN, and Tampax as well as a graphite sketch of Greta Thunberg, a fluorescent rainbow and instead of a club emblem, a 6 by 6 inch velcro square on which you are required to display the current week's Care Patch™, an embroidered badge depicting a cause you are instructed to be outraged about.

We will run away with the league and be awarded fuck all because it's not about winning! :barscarf:
Absolutely brilliant post :D :D :D

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

P_Walnuts wrote:
Redarmy wrote:

Brilliant....highly likely and thus depressing all at the same time :lol:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:41 am

I'm quickly losing any interest in the performances and results and I find myself watching them purely because they have the name of a team I used to support and it is instinctive now.

It may seem melodramatic but last nights result and performance didnt even upset me, it has become the 'norm'.

This ^^

herbert

Post by herbert »

P_Walnuts wrote:
Redarmy wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Hello all - hope you're all doing well......its been a while.

Allowed my eldest lad to convince me the return of Premier League football was something to get excited about, so switched on and had a look. Not sure what's to say other than that could have been any one of a number of games away from home against a top side from the last 12 years or so. Leaderless, shapeless, spineless. The kind of defending that will ensure we're never more than a modern day Everton. A 34 year old cast off by two clubs genuinely interested in winning big prizes to a club who pretends that they dine at that table. He still defends like a 12 year old centre forward who has been asked to play there for the first time - an utterly brain dead moron, incapable of playing for anyone other than himself. He'll probably be picked again as soon as his suspension is up, and we'll probably take up the one year option on his deal because we'll never buy a centre half worthy of the name

Supposedly City "weren't ready" for the resumption......well, give me that kind of not ready every day of the week. I think the last 10 minutes summed it up. Sterling sprinting back to his own half to win the ball back. The freshly introduced Lacazette reducing every attack to walking pace.

A bunch of uncoachable, slack, lazy players. Worse still the players who were beginning to be frozen out like Xhaka and Mustafi are now being given more prominent roles in the team

It will never change under Kroenke - not under Wenger, not under Emery, not under Arteta. We're the new Everton and it won't be long before we're the new West Ham. We'll be relegated by 2023 when the last remaining one or two top drawer players have left and been replaced by substandard goons.

There's no divine right to beat Manchester City home or away. There is a right however to expect to give them as much of a game as Wolves or Crystal Palace do. We didn't have a shot on target. Again. Rinse and repeat. Next game there will be no different.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

herbert wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:56 pm
P_Walnuts wrote:
Redarmy wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I think we will all need to very gently and carefully move to our safe spaces to absorb that post and consult with our woke advisors to ensure we conform with all relevant tropes before we can be allowed to be either amused or horrified..... :rubchin:

Clash

Post by Clash »

P_Walnuts wrote:
Redarmy wrote:

haha great stuff Walnuts :lol:

I think this post should be hidden though as its gonna give the wrong people some big ideas 8)

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

P_Walnuts wrote:
Redarmy wrote:

Quality post. :lol: :lol: but also :( :( because it's probably gonna come true.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

augie wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:26 am
shu wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:20 pm
DB spot on and judge Arteta on who he keeps

Earlier this week I had a debate on here with some lads who were happy to write off the remainder of this season and only start judging arteta next season - I totally disagreed with that point of view. Arteta may not have the type of quality he wants or expects in the squad, but you can still tell a lot about who he rates and who he doesnt - it has been very clear for a long time now that he doesnt rate/like maitland-niles for example. Decisions like that, whether people agree with them or not, are still fairly easy to accept - his belief in duds like xhaka, ozil and willock is for me an absolute puzzler and it raises questions about his judgement of players.
Luiz has never been a good defender - a good footballer granted, but nowhere near what it takes to be a proper defender. He plays in a position where it is an absolute shitfest in the club, and it could certainly be argued that over a season he is a better option that mustafi, and that puts him in the top 2 or 3 centre backs in the club (shameful I know :oops: :oops: ). Reality is that we will be operating on a shite transfer budget this offseason, so having enough cash to replace him will be doubtful - that being said, there is a time when you have to look at his situation and be prepared to (maybe) pick a lesser player like holding or chambers, just so that the club can move on and try to improve that situation (one step back to go two steps forward maybe). Funnily enough though, when xhaka got injured tonight it should have been luiz that was brought on to sit in front of back 4 cos we were piss weak with guendouzi, ceballos and willock in there. Anyway tonight proves that arteta must move on and let him go on a free now but I'm not sure arteta will do that

His team selection and substitutions tonight were baffling too - how does a player who has arguably been our player of the season to date (martinelli) not even get a run out tonight ?? Are we honestly saying that saka and nelson are better than him cos I wouldnt pick either ahead of him. You could even argue that arteta rates nketieh ahead of him - he should have played martinelli on the wing with auba central, but he preferred to go with nketieh central and auba wide :shock: Unless he intends selling pepe (something I wouldnt be opposed to), how can he defend not playing him at all ? With ceballos rumoured to have zero interest in staying next season, why bother playing him at all ?

We are a mess and that is why I was and continue to be opposed to arteta getting the job in the first place - we need an experienced manager with real presence to come in and turn this shitfest around, but instead we got a unqualified rookie who is basically learning his job as he goes along. That isnt a slight on him per se because its not his fault that he was given this massive job with no experience

Not much I'd argue with there Augie. Pretty much sums it all up.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

goonersid wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:36 am
Probably the most worrying time I can remember as an Arsenal fan, for many reasons.
Arteta unable to motivate a team with a clge place still to play for, against a team who’ ve surrendered their title and had diddly squat to play for.
If we were to lose Auba and Leno in the summer? we will be bottom third at best next season.
With a seemingly incompetent backroom staff , recruitment team, disinterested owner the financial consequences of covid and no clge next season, I honestly believe there is no limit to how far we could fall.
There will be “big club” casualties from this current crisis and I would have us down as favourites!

Agree with this Sid. We flirted with the relegation zone in 1975, I think it was and have been crap a few times, but I've never really thought that we could end up going down. I no longer think that way. I've never been a fan of any Arsenal board, but at least I always thought that they'd invest and do whatever it took if relegation was a serious threat, but I can't see Kroenke doing that. I know that dropping out of the Premiership would be calamitous for his investment, but I think that his absolute lack of football knowledge, affinity and experience, plus his lack of sound advisors, will mean that he won't be able to read the warning signals.

Anyone with any idea knows that we are in free fall and that the decline has to be arrested now. In fact, it was clear over the last 10 years, as most of us on here knew and should have been addressed then. As with most things in life, what was once a gradual, though worrying slide, eventually becomes a rapid downward spiral if not dealt with. Kroenke won't see those signs and no one will tell him...why would they? It would amount to admitting that they haven't been doing their job. Once a club goes beyond the tipping point...and we are at that point...it can be nigh on impossible to correct it, regardless of the size of the club. We're heading that way and Kroenke won't have a clue what to do once he realises it's too late.

Realistically, we're already a mid table outfit at best and as Sid says, I can see us being bottom third next season. No one should think that it can't get worse than that.

Btw, a couple of you have suggested that Leno might be gone in the Summer. What's the news there, because I'm in the dark about that?

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Arsenal have lost Pablo Mari for rest of season with serious ankle ligament/tendon injury suffered in defeat at Man City, may need surgery. Granit Xhaka also picked up an ankle problem but may return before campaign ends. Rob Holding in contention for Brighton @TheAthleticUK #AFC