Brighton (A) postponed due to The Apocalypse.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: Brighton (A) postponed due to The Apocalypse.

Post by augie »

northbank123 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:06 pm
Yes Augie he is a youngster. And even with the best guidance then youngsters will be arrogant.

But it is obvious that he is getting no guidance and has a growing sense of self-importance. I actually think he is an excellent talent (not an average player like pretty much everybody else is the squad) and I don’t mind some shithousery, but the guy clearly thinks he has made it and he hasn’t. He will piss away his potential very quickly this way.

Excellent news about Leno. I think he is an excellent goalkeeper.

Agree on both points

I get the limited transfer budget argument, but surrounding young players like guendouzi (but not only him) with players like luiz and ozil is doing him no favours - these older players might have plenty of experience but have no concept on how to lead, and dont seem to care enough to be bothered either way, and this rubs off on the kids.

I rate Leno - he does worry me a bit on set pieces cos his lack of physical presence, but he is still a quality keeper

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

augie wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:01 pm
Guendouzi is 21 years old lads FFS - did none of ye make stupid mistakes at that age that you are ashamed of looking back now ? He is learning and needs to keep learning and grounded, but (and I have said this many times before), a young lad coming through in an arrogant dressing room with w.ankers like ozil and xhaka, is not gonna get the right type of guidance at all

Let me also say that I have zero problem with players "sledging" each other (I think that is the correct term), as long as they have earned the right to do so. A certain amount of arrogance in a player can be a good thing if it is channeled properly - is taunting an opposition player about wages any less acceptable than taunting a player about his girlfriend or wife or other family member ? I know that if I had played against jamie o'hara back in the day I would have gone to town on him marrying a bird that everyone else in the scum dressing room had shagged - I dont feel one bit guilty or ashamed saying that btw. We go on about football being too boring and sanitised nowadays, so let me say that this is another example of sanatising something that would have been common practice amongst pro's 30 years ago.

The problem here is that guendouzi hasnt done enough in the game to justify mocking a player like that, and on that we agree - however it doesnt make it wholly unacceptable though
Augie I don't think there is anything wrong with getting under an opponent's skin, and driving them to distraction. But to goad someone by comparing their earnings to yours is self centred and egotistical. To be egotistical you must be able to back it with achievement and talent. I like Guendouzi but do think he needs to be managed by (a) his manager and (b) his captain or a senior colleague. There in you have the first problem.There is no captain at Arsenal in the truest sense of the word. No leader to put an arm around your shoulder or grab you by the throat and let you have it both barrels. I found Guendouzi's behaviour in bad taste and beneath a player of Arsenal FC . My initial response said show him the door, on reflection no but educate him. There are people suffering financially and mentally because of this virus. A professional footballer boasting about money is tasteless at most times but more so now. If Alli or Lingard behaved like that we would rightly crucify them here.

augie

Post by augie »

Bradywasking wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:01 pm
augie wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:01 pm
Guendouzi is 21 years old lads FFS - did none of ye make stupid mistakes at that age that you are ashamed of looking back now ? He is learning and needs to keep learning and grounded, but (and I have said this many times before), a young lad coming through in an arrogant dressing room with w.ankers like ozil and xhaka, is not gonna get the right type of guidance at all

Let me also say that I have zero problem with players "sledging" each other (I think that is the correct term), as long as they have earned the right to do so. A certain amount of arrogance in a player can be a good thing if it is channeled properly - is taunting an opposition player about wages any less acceptable than taunting a player about his girlfriend or wife or other family member ? I know that if I had played against jamie o'hara back in the day I would have gone to town on him marrying a bird that everyone else in the scum dressing room had shagged - I dont feel one bit guilty or ashamed saying that btw. We go on about football being too boring and sanitised nowadays, so let me say that this is another example of sanatising something that would have been common practice amongst pro's 30 years ago.

The problem here is that guendouzi hasnt done enough in the game to justify mocking a player like that, and on that we agree - however it doesnt make it wholly unacceptable though
Augie I don't think there is anything wrong with getting under an opponent's skin, and driving them to distraction. But to goad someone by comparing their earnings to yours is self centred and egotistical. To be egotistical you must be able to back it with achievement and talent. I like Guendouzi but do think he needs to be managed by (a) his manager and (b) his captain or a senior colleague. There in you have the first problem.There is no captain at Arsenal in the truest sense of the word. No leader to put an arm around your shoulder or grab you by the throat and let you have it both barrels. I found Guendouzi's behaviour in bad taste and beneath a player of Arsenal FC . My initial response said show him the door, on reflection no but educate him. There are people suffering financially and mentally because of this virus. A professional footballer boasting about money is tasteless at most times but more so now. If Alli or Lingard behaved like that we would rightly crucify them here.

By and large I agree with most of what you said - I have said on a few occasions that these young players need proper guidance, and there is no player in the dressing room capable of doing it, and it seems that arteta has no patience or tolerance to do it.

What I will also say is that, in the vast majority of occasions, what happens on the pitch is left on the pitch (or between players at least), but on this occasion a whiny french bitch went to the media to take the spotlight off him and the part he played in Leno's injury. If we are honest we will acknowledge that there is probably as bad if not worse said between players every week.