CoronaVirus / Adolf Putin / The Apocalypse etc

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Herd

Re: CoronaVirus Latest

Post by Herd »

Of course its called breach of contract , I wouldn't let them pay me less they have a contract and they should stick to it !

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Block93 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:11 am
NickF wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:02 pm
Andrew wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:08 pm
Compare and contrast:

"Barcelona players will take a 70% pay cut during the coronavirus pandemic and make additional contributions to ensure non-sporting staff receive full wages": https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52092809

Meanwhile, at Seven Sisters, the classiest club in the world (that's sarcasm, by the way): "the club announced 550 non-playing staff will take a 20% pay cut."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52105337

What about the players, the biggest cost that they've got? The ones who will never fear that they'll be evicted from home or sacked from their job?

(I don't know what Arsenal are doing but I hope to God that it's more like what the Catalans have done.)
This I find very troubling, the amount of money Barcelona must have, why do their players need to take a wage cut?

Same at th Spuds, they really can't afford to fully pay their non playing staff?

Are their finances really that fragile?
Apparently, if you reduce a player's wages without his consent, then he is entitled to avoid his contract and can go and join another club on a free transfer. If Levy seriously thinks any player would dare to use the crisis to his advantage in that way, then it shows how much he is living in another world. Imagine the grief that player would get for the rest of his career.

Levy is not going to be forgiven for his stance, that's for sure, and I bet he is bitterly regretting his actions now in taking advantage of government support which was clearly meant for those businesses that actually need it. The PFA are as bad as he is, with Gordon Taylor sitting on his underserved £2m salary suggesting players should not take a cut in wages.

The crisis is already showing just how unpleasant and selfish some people in football can be. No wonder they want the season to be played out, as Sky and BT are due a big refund if it isn't. I feel sorry for the players and staff in Leagues 1 and 2 - they are the ones at risk, not PL superstars earning £100k a week. The Arsenal board must have mixed feelings on this, given that if the season is declared null and void, and if Man City's CL ban is upheld, then we are back in the CL, based on finishing 5th last season. Emery would be the hero! He'd probably be due a bonus in his contract!!'
So - it really is this simple.

I'm a regional MD for a multi national company who has seen in the region of 70% of its revenue wiped out overnight. We've put hundreds of people into 'furlough' at all levels. We had a discussion as a senior group of people saying that none of us felt comfortable still pulling full salaries despite the fact some of us are working pretty much without sleep to keep the company going. Without hesitation every single senior manager and director accepted pay cuts of up to 50% for the next 3 months, and waived any bonuses that were due. Of course if we'd done it to people without consultation we'd be breaching contracts - so we didn't. We did that old fashioned thing called talking to people, and appealing to their better nature......and here I'm talking about people who don't earn in a year what a top player earns in a week. I know for a fact a number of people who signed up to it were on the phone to their mortgage providers, car finance providers etc the same day......something I doubt many footballers would even know existed

So football - it really is that simple. Your contract says one thing. If you don't employ selfish arseholes then you might just find simply asking the question of the players might bring about the right solution

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:48 am
Block93 wrote:
NickF wrote:
Andrew wrote:
Compare and contrast:

"Barcelona players will take a 70% pay cut during the coronavirus pandemic and make additional contributions to ensure non-sporting staff receive full wages": https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52092809

Meanwhile, at Seven Sisters, the classiest club in the world (that's sarcasm, by the way): "the club announced 550 non-playing staff will take a 20% pay cut."

What about the players, the biggest cost that they've got? The ones who will never fear that they'll be evicted from home or sacked from their job?

(I don't know what Arsenal are doing but I hope to God that it's more like what the Catalans have done.)
This I find very troubling, the amount of money Barcelona must have, why do their players need to take a wage cut?

Same at th Spuds, they really can't afford to fully pay their non playing staff?

Apparently, if you reduce a player's wages without his consent, then he is entitled to avoid his contract and can go and join another club on a free transfer. If Levy seriously thinks any player would dare to use the crisis to his advantage in that way, then it shows how much he is living in another world. Imagine the grief that player would get for the rest of his career.

Levy is not going to be forgiven for his stance, that's for sure, and I bet he is bitterly regretting his actions now in taking advantage of government support which was clearly meant for those businesses that actually need it. The PFA are as bad as he is, with Gordon Taylor sitting on his underserved £2m salary suggesting players should not take a cut in wages.

The crisis is already showing just how unpleasant and selfish some people in football can be. No wonder they want the season to be played out, as Sky and BT are due a big refund if it isn't. I feel sorry for the players and staff in Leagues 1 and 2 - they are the ones at risk, not PL superstars earning £100k a week. The Arsenal board must have mixed feelings on this, given that if the season is declared null and void, and if Man City's CL ban is upheld, then we are back in the CL, based on finishing 5th last season. Emery would be the hero! He'd probably be due a bonus in his contract!!'

I'm a regional MD for a multi national company who has seen in the region of 70% of its revenue wiped out overnight. We've put hundreds of people into 'furlough' at all levels. We had a discussion as a senior group of people saying that none of us felt comfortable still pulling full salaries despite the fact some of us are working pretty much without sleep to keep the company going. Without hesitation every single senior manager and director accepted pay cuts of up to 50% for the next 3 months, and waived any bonuses that were due. Of course if we'd done it to people without consultation we'd be breaching contracts - so we didn't. We did that old fashioned thing called talking to people, and appealing to their better nature......and here I'm talking about people who don't earn in a year what a top player earns in a week. I know for a fact a number of people who signed up to it were on the phone to their mortgage providers, car finance providers etc the same day......something I doubt many footballers would even know existed

So football - it really is that simple. Your contract says one thing. If you don't employ selfish arseholes then you might just find simply asking the question of the players might bring about the right solution
A very honourable thing to do Stevo, I really hope Arsenal don't follow the spuds lead. They are a classless club for many reasons this just being the latest,

With regards to contracts, yeah god help any multi-millionaire player who uses this as an excuse to get away from his club.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:28 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:48 am
Block93 wrote:
NickF wrote:
Andrew wrote:
Compare and contrast:

A very honourable thing to do Stevo, I really hope Arsenal don't follow the spuds lead. They are a classless club for many reasons this just being the latest,

With regards to contracts, yeah god help any multi-millionaire player who uses this as an excuse to get away from his club.
I hope we don't follow their lead either mate. In fairness to the club they are usually very good in terms of the donation of one day's wages, supporting the Willow Foundation etc. What worries me is that with the exception of Brighton (to my knowledge) none of them have actually led with the heart and done it unprompted. As I did with our company, I'd have rallied around the senior figures and said "right here's what we should do - who is in and who isn't". It seems like they're now waiting for public pressure and the FA's stance before jumping to life. If you wait to be told then in my opinion it carries much less value......if they cared about the communities they support they'd have jumped to the beat already

augie

Post by augie »

I agree that the footballers should have taken the initiative here BUT no politician should be allowed interfere or publicly pressure any player to take a reduction in wages - it is none of those politician c.unts business and I agree with the rat faced Neville c.unt when he expressed his outrage in todays media. Out of curiousity, have any of those politician c.unts taken a pay cut in England ? I certainly haven't heard of any Irish politician offering up any of their wages :roll:

I will also agree with the players annoyance that the club owners have been allowed stay in the background without any financial demands or responsibilities, when they are absolutely coining it in - already we are hearing stories about how the clubs want the season to finish cos otherwise they will lose £170m+ in tv money, so why are their financial and selfish motives not being publicly dissected by all and sundry ?

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:54 pm
I agree that the footballers should have taken the initiative here BUT no politician should be allowed interfere or publicly pressure any player to take a reduction in wages - it is none of those politician c.unts business and I agree with the rat faced Neville c.unt when he expressed his outrage in todays media. Out of curiousity, have any of those politician c.unts taken a pay cut in England ? I certainly haven't heard of any Irish politician offering up any of their wages :roll:

I will also agree with the players annoyance that the club owners have been allowed stay in the background without any financial demands or responsibilities, when they are absolutely coining it in - already we are hearing stories about how the clubs want the season to finish cos otherwise they will lose £170m+ in tv money, so why are their financial and selfish motives not being publicly dissected by all and sundry ?
Be interesting to hear about what our utter c.unt of a billionaire owner comes up with during all this won't it?

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Be interesting to hear about what our utter c.unt of a billionaire owner comes up with during all this won't it?

Might have a long wait . He's too busy talking to SOFI to keep his Los Angeles project going.

Kevin Demoff acknowledges SoFi Stadium opening could be delayed

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

A11M11 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:48 am

Might have a long wait . He's too busy talking to SOFI to keep his Los Angeles project going.

Kevin Demoff acknowledges SoFi Stadium opening could be delayed
Poor fucker eh? My heart bleeds for him.

My only hope is that his billions get fucking wiped out and when we eventually get back to normality, the prick slings his hook for good

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

There's a lot of that think that too.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Liverpool are putting some of their non playing staff on furlough, that means , as far as I am aware, that the Government will pay 80% of their wage...Wonder what the man of the people Stupid Teeth thinks of that.

augie

Post by augie »

Bradywasking wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:28 pm
Liverpool are putting some of their non playing staff on furlough, that means , as far as I am aware, that the Government will pay 80% of their wage...Wonder what the man of the people Stupid Teeth thinks of that.

That is exactly what I am driving at - putting 80% of their staff's wages onto the taxpayers seems to be acceptable despite the clubs being owned by some of the wealthiest people in the world :evil: Where is that dickhead politician now, or is commenting on a players short-term career the only thing up for a moral crusade ? :roll: :censored:

wibble

Post by wibble »

Bradywasking wrote:
To be fair, the government/taxpayers are used to paying the people of Liverpool’s ‘wages’

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

wibble wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:03 pm
Bradywasking wrote:
To be fair, the government/taxpayers are used to paying the people of Liverpool’s ‘wages’
Brilliant

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

To be honest I'm not really sure that most footballers would even get the implication of what they or their clubs doing being wrong, I'm not having a go at them I just think that so many of them live such closeted lives and have done, in some cases, since a fairly young age that the concept may be beyond their understanding or reality.

The clubs owners on the other hand expect people to fork out a fortune every year for the privilege of watching the entertainment they provide and simply see themselves as doing exactly what every other industry, restaurants, cinemas, bars, clubs, venues, airlines etc have done by furloughing their non-essential staff, look at Branson allegedly forcing a large proportion of his staff to take unpaid leave if they want to keep their jobs.

Not surprised in any way shape or form, again it was reported a few days ago that after being called out on their behaviour some banks are rewriting history over the bailouts and saying it wasn't really a tax payer bailout merely their own customers ensuring that their finances were kept safe by keeping the banks solvent via taxpayer money, as usual the rich and powerful do everything to protect themselves and throw the rest of us to the wolves.

Emily Thronberry was on BBC earlier saying she'll be ensuring the Government is held to account over helping the developing nations recover from Coronavirus and assist them as needed, exactly where the money is coming from she didnt say but you can bet your arse it'll be the UK and other nations taxpayers as usual directly or indirectly......

I know I sound selfish but I'm sick to the back teeth of working 40-50 hours a week and having next to nothing to show for it but my taxes are always bled off to somewhere else, undeserving businesses, rich oligarchs, super corporations, or even 'developing' nations (who in most cases haven't actually done a great deal of developing in my nearly 50 years of life) instead of being spent exactly where they're needed in the UK and only the UK.

I seriously feel like saying fuck the rest of the world and get our own country sorted then worry about everywhere else, especially Eire..... developing that place will take nothing short of a miracle :wink:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

augie wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:01 pm
Bradywasking wrote:

That is exactly what I am driving at - putting 80% of their staff's wages onto the taxpayers seems to be acceptable despite the clubs being owned by some of the wealthiest people in the world :evil: Where is that dickhead politician now, or is commenting on a players short-term career the only thing up for a moral crusade ? :roll: :censored:
And they announced a record profit in their last set of accounts

It’s nothing short of scandalous