CoronaVirus / Adolf Putin / The Apocalypse etc

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
bergkamp10

Re: CoronaVirus Latest

Post by bergkamp10 »

Clash wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:50 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:55 pm

Absolutely spot on Sid. My missus had her first breast screening a couple of weeks ago and got a call back :shock: The call back rate is 4 out of 100 so we were shitting ourselves.

Trust me Covid wasn't even on our radar when we were driving into the hospital, didn't give it a fu.cking second thought. Thankfully after the recall she was given the all clear so we were lucky but covid....fuck covid.

We can't continue to fu.ck about with society with lockdowns every 2 minutes when Boris throws a wobbly.

Are we going to have daily death counts on the news for all diseases this winter to make it more interesting? Seems a bit unfair that nobody gave two shits about the 50,000 that used to die from flu in the winter or all the pneumonia deaths unreported.
Sorry to hear you and your missus went through that Jock. Glad to hear she was given the all-clear.

It is a real-life reminder that life isn’t just about COVID-19 though. It seems like for many people, stopping the spread of the virus has become all-consuming.

Totally agree with what you say about lock-downs and how it seems unfair to ignore all the deaths from other causes. A few months back the news was reporting the daily corona-virus death total. This was unprecedented. Then when the numbers fell to single figures, they started reporting the infection rate instead. Never have we heard the figures of those who have died or suffered as a consequence of these lock-down measures though.

There is an actual government figure on a government website that I have not heard mentioned on the news. It is that in the UK, less than 400 people under the age of 65 who didn’t have pre-existing health issues, have died with (but not necessarily from) corona-virus. The number of people who have died because the country was shutdown could be a many times that number so what has been achieved?! They are the forgotten victims in this. It is not just about other illnesses either, apparently suicide rates have doubled. And what do people think the threat of a £10,000 fine if you break the rules is achieving other than causing law abiding people, especially the elderly, to live in a constant state of panic?

Some of this stuff is disgraceful and I think people should be able to question it! I’m not trying to sound heartless. On the contrary I am aware that in extreme cases this virus sounds horrific. But then so is dying from cancer … and I wonder how many people will suffer from that in future because their treatment was put on hold or because they didn’t get the early diagnosis that could have made all the difference further down the line.

I understand people saying we need to accept the changes and comply with the new regulations but in some areas they are NOT simply harmless sacrifices we are making. In other areas they are just pointless. The rule of 6 and 10pm curfews ffs! So 6 people are safe at 9.59pm but when person number 7 turns up and the clocks strikes 10.01pm suddenly it’s every man for himself :banghead: . I know it’s easy to make a loft of rules sound absurd if you break them down but this one is obviously nonsense! There will always be people who refuse to comply no matter what. This type of thing though is the government equivalent of the teacher punishing the whole class because they couldn’t control the few unruly ones.

Sid’s point about the onus being on the vulnerable or those who know someone who is vulnerable, is bang on. He definitely has a way of cutting through the bullshit!
Clash, brilliant post and all your points raised many of the items I have been saying to friends, family and past colleagues. I unfortunately lost my business in Aerospace after 20 years building it up and I lost it all in June, along with that 12 employees we had to let go. That was shit I can tell.

Along I know of more people to whom have died on strokes, cancer and other such illnesses.

I now and have been checking out the O.N.S. website and there daily death toll numbers and it's extremely low compared to other illness.

If you really want a counter view and some hard facts check out the following website

https://lockdownsceptics.org/author/toby-young/

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:45 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:48 pm
Just to cheer everyone up, Spanish flu took over two years to run its course in a world/age considerably more disconnected and at about a fifth of the population (therefore at a much lower population density) than we have now. For all the advances in technology and medicine since 1918 we dont seem much better prepared to deal with this than they were back then. I have a strong feeling that any return to normality may be a long, long way off.... whether we like it or not some sacrifices may eventually have to be made :rubchin:
Disagree, we are exponentially better prepared to deal with this virus than we were back then even with our disenfranchised countries/populations. 15m+ were killed back then so if we end up with 80m deaths from COVID it would be a global humanitarian disaster.

If they manage to get a vaccine produced at scale next year it will cut the pandemic in half time-wise and save millions of lives as long as the vaccine has been robustly tested. In the meantime, mask-wearing and contact tracing is the way forward. I have already downloaded the NHS App, I just hope it works.
Nutty your delusion is strong, the app only works if enough people buy into which a large number of people wont for various reasons, the ones least likely to buy into it are those most likely to get the virus and spread it so not a lot of point tracking people who dont have it and are less likely to spread it.

On vaccines even if, and it is a huge if, they get a vaccine before spring how long do you realistically think it will take to produce and then administer to 67M people..... people can be as deluded as they want but the majority if not all of next year is written off too. All the early summer hype about vaccines has trailed off massively which means they are meeting problems with it, one of the teams working on it has had to back track significantly already due to adverse reactions from participants. The other problem with vaccines is it takes time to to see the longevity of a vaccine so we wont know for sure whether it works long term for everyone or just a proportion for years, just like the flu vaccine it may mean those with underlying conditions have to top up regularly or remain isolated, we haven't even begun to see the long term effects of this thing yet, Economically, Socialogically or Medically and people thing it will be over relatively soon....... :roll: :banghead:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:08 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:45 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:48 pm
Just to cheer everyone up, Spanish flu took over two years to run its course in a world/age considerably more disconnected and at about a fifth of the population (therefore at a much lower population density) than we have now. For all the advances in technology and medicine since 1918 we dont seem much better prepared to deal with this than they were back then. I have a strong feeling that any return to normality may be a long, long way off.... whether we like it or not some sacrifices may eventually have to be made :rubchin:
Disagree, we are exponentially better prepared to deal with this virus than we were back then even with our disenfranchised countries/populations. 15m+ were killed back then so if we end up with 80m deaths from COVID it would be a global humanitarian disaster.

If they manage to get a vaccine produced at scale next year it will cut the pandemic in half time-wise and save millions of lives as long as the vaccine has been robustly tested. In the meantime, mask-wearing and contact tracing is the way forward. I have already downloaded the NHS App, I just hope it works.
Nutty your delusion is strong, the app only works if enough people buy into which a large number of people wont for various reasons, the ones least likely to buy into it are those most likely to get the virus and spread it so not a lot of point tracking people who dont have it and are less likely to spread it.

On vaccines even if, and it is a huge if, they get a vaccine before spring how long do you realistically think it will take to produce and then administer to 67M people..... people can be as deluded as they want but the majority if not all of next year is written off too. All the early summer hype about vaccines has trailed off massively which means they are meeting problems with it, one of the teams working on it has had to back track significantly already due to adverse reactions from participants. The other problem with vaccines is it takes time to to see the longevity of a vaccine so we wont know for sure whether it works long term for everyone or just a proportion for years, just like the flu vaccine it may mean those with underlying conditions have to top up regularly or remain isolated, we haven't even begun to see the long term effects of this thing yet, Economically, Socialogically or Medically and people thing it will be over relatively soon....... :roll: :banghead:

One million people downloaded the app yesterday. And note that I did use the word "if" it is as effective as our counterparts in Asia then it will be a very important part of the Arsenal (no pun intended) that is required to keep the virus at bay for the next six months when we are firmly on the back foot. One million downloads if you think doesn't just mean one million people protected, it's a lot more than that basic maths. If you live in a world where people don't give a shit then all I say to you is have a word, all my mates have already downloaded the app. As Citizen Smith once said "side not self".

On the subject of vaccines are you even close to being aware of how many companies are in the final phase 3 clinical trials that if approved will see roll out next year? Not only that there are volunteers who are willing to be infected to see the effects of the vaccine once they are exposed to the disease. The results to these trials will be key.

https://www.ft.com/content/e5012891-58d ... 2adf3ba0e2

And the company that had problems with the phase 3 clinical trials was Astrazeneca (why couldn't you quote them?) but they have already resumed in the UK.

All of these large pharma companies have the ability to roll out billons of doses by the end of 2021 if any are approved. The UK as far as I am aware have signed up to 6 different programs, granting early access.

There is a science in determing which strain of flu is likely to be the most virulent every winter and the health authorities plan accordingly. As I said technology/medicine will ensure that 15-20m don't die this time. But it could easily be 2-4m no doubt.

I haven't even mentioned the existing treatments yet, and the scientists will be adding anti virals to the list shortly. This isn't a one stop solution. Personally I just want to get through the winter and I am sure things will get better from next summer. People need to get their heads out of their backsides and start looking out for each other rather than themselves. Delusion, nah mate think it's the other way round.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54346001

what hope is there.

believe in it or not but at least stick to the easy to adhere to rules.

bbc should shop the entitled dozy mare an get her a nice fine.

its this attitude that means we will be in a constant state of flux on this.

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Looks like the greedy PL are getting desperate to get the crowds back in stadiums, I thought that they didn't need the fans anymore & made enough cash from worldwide TV deals & commercial advertising income / corporate clients? :barscarf:

They now want fans to arrive at games on bikes, avoiding public transport which obviously is one of the main ways convid spreads. https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/footbal ... ailsignout

How about banning away fans & home fans that travel from far away places (too far to walk or cycle) & overseas? So more tickets for locals who have been frozen out by high admission prices / lack of affordable tickets over recent decades.

Could be a return of the old school, walking to the Swamp & back, Goodison Park might be a bit far though! :mrgreen:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Pubs and restaurants in Derry to shut from next Monday!
The powers that be have now completely lost the fucking plot!
I’ve been to my local and pubs in belfast for meals and they have spent, what I would assume to be thousands of pounds on ensuring that their premises are “safe”
Only to be kicked in the balls by fucking idiots who dont have a clue what they are doing!
Great to see Middlesborough lord mayor, take a stance and call restrictions in his town “unacceptable”
We need an organised campaign of civil disobedience, protests and businesses telling the authorities to FUCK OFF!

Herd

Post by Herd »

The app is a placebo ,all it does is tell you the rick factor in the area you registered in ,and it checks you into pubs bars etc ,the ping isn't working at all ,its just a hoax !

nut flush gooner

goonersid wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:31 pm
Pubs and restaurants in Derry to shut from next Monday!
The powers that be have now completely lost the fucking plot!
I’ve been to my local and pubs in belfast for meals and they have spent, what I would assume to be thousands of pounds on ensuring that their premises are “safe”
Only to be kicked in the balls by fucking idiots who dont have a clue what they are doing!
Great to see Middlesborough lord mayor, take a stance and call restrictions in his town “unacceptable”
We need an organised campaign of civil disobedience, protests and businesses telling the authorities to FUCK OFF!
Hate to tell you this Sid, there is not one pub in England or Ireland that inside is a safe zone for COVID. They would have to deep clean every venue several times a day to even come close to making them COVID free with any degree of confidence. Pubs with low ceilings/poor ventilation are a breeding ground for the virus.

I wouldn't mind Wetherspoons go bust tbh.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Mane has tested positive for Covid19..Tierney might have contracted it from his elbow.

Herd

Post by Herd »

For me its about choice ,I wear a mask I sanitise frequently and avoid public transport where possible especially the tube ,but others don't . The 10 pm curfew is a joke in London as it turfs everyone out one the street together and they all head for the buses n tube where they mix at close range .
Better have usual hours where people come and go in fewer numbers . Schools and colleges are mixing freely ,and amongst close knit communities social distancing is ignored ,so what can you do ?

nut flush gooner

Herd wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:45 pm
For me its about choice ,I wear a mask I sanitise frequently and avoid public transport where possible especially the tube ,but others don't . The 10 pm curfew is a joke in London as it turfs everyone out one the street together and they all head for the buses n tube where they mix at close range .
Better have usual hours where people come and go in fewer numbers . Schools and colleges are mixing freely ,and amongst close knit communities social distancing is ignored ,so what can you do ?
Unfortunately choice doesn't save lives, but neither does a weak government. We've let far to many conspiracists and anti mask/vaxxers create agenda's in this country.

Fair enough if you don't want to take vaccinations it's your liberty/choice, but FFS Mask wearing is proven to save lives when its done en masse, as we've seen in Asia. And yet we've still got *word censored* in supermarkets that think they are special not bothering with the protocols, ironically it's usually a fat middle aged men that wouldn't do well if they got COVID.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

This is Trumps personal Medical Officer/Doctor:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

That Starmer bloke, is one slimey bastard.
He can’t hide his delight in slagging off the opposition anytime things take a bad turn.
I don’t agree with how the UK government are tackling the pandemic, but I also acknowledge that no one really knows how it should be tackled.
The UK have more or less taken the same path as most of Europe.
They have imo, done a good job in trying to supplement wages etc.
Covid has probably saved the Labour party from a generation in opposition, because they were truly fucked.

nut flush gooner

goonersid wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:14 am
He can’t hide his delight in slagging off the opposition anytime things take a bad turn.
I don’t agree with how the UK government are tackling the pandemic, but I also acknowledge that no one really knows how it should be tackled.
Covid has probably saved the Labour party from a generation in opposition, because they were truly fucked.
Does no one really know? How about asking the leaders of Germany, Greece, New Zealand, Australia, Singapore, South Korea and Taiwan amongst others.

It's only us British that are clueless (ok add the Americans as well).

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:47 am
goonersid wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:14 am
Does no one really know? How about asking the leaders of Germany, Greece, New Zealand, Australia, Singapore, South Korea and Taiwan amongst others.

It's only us British that are clueless (ok add the Americans as well).
Really? Australia and New Zealand are by no way out of the woods.
Germany had 50,000 people on the streets of Berlin protesting.
As I said we’ve gone the same path as most European countries, a wrong one imo but would Labour, without hindsight done it any different?