CoronaVirus / Adolf Putin / The Apocalypse etc

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Red Snapper

Re: CoronaVirus Latest

Post by Red Snapper »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:55 pm
If they opt to award Livarpool the league then do the relegations happen and current European places stand? It will be interesting to see how they justify it if they do :rubchin:

So looking forward to the meltdown if the league is completely cancelled :barscarf:
I'm wondering the same thing. If they void the whole season then who gets next season's European places? OK if Man City are banned it may be us but if they do take the positions from last season then N17 get a place which they don't look like getting now. They really need the income to fund that over priced toilet bowl they built. The National League is continuing so will the winners of that be promoted to the League even though no one can be relegated? Yes it will be funny if scousers aren't champions but that's of no consequence to those who lose relatives, jobs or businesses.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Almunia is a clown wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:50 pm
Looks like the Middlesex Swampland has been infected by another virus! :rubchin: Must have been lying dormant for a while in some Toilet Lid cesspit or hovel nearby. :cussing:

Anyone who enters onto the swampland of the zombies might never get out without paying the ultimate price. Don't say you haven't been warned! :shock:

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0314/11232 ... for-covid/
That's a tragic story, surely you're not making light of it

LeftfootlegendGooner

I'd rather lpool win the pl than having a world changing event happen with thousands of deaths ffs

augie

Post by augie »

Bradywasking wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:35 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:26 pm
augie wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:43 pm
Bradywasking wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:15 pm
LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:33 pm
BTW hard you guys in oireland still going to pubs and restaurants
Lot of the City centre pubs and restaurants are closing, this isdue to falling numbers as much as health concerns.. The 100 persons limit at indoor gatherings is hard to monitor in pubs, much easier in restaurants due to seating and tables. Local pubs in suburbia are limiting entry, this is a big week normally in pubs in Ireland. Some are choosing to close on Tuesday , St Patrick's Day, because falling numbers allied to paying staff double time isn't economically viable to them..Not sure what is happening outside Dublin.

In the town nearest to me many of the pubs are staying open until 11pm but are closing then. Some of those pubs have also decided not to open on Friday or Saturday nights at all though, cos restricting the numbers would be nigh on impossible on those nights. The pubs and hotels are cancelling bookings for parties and weddings that had been booked a long time ago, and that is especially hard on people that are getting married cos of the amount of planning involved.
Tomorrow night we are supposed to be going out for dinner with the sister in law and boyfriend to celebrate their recent engagement (god love him :lol: ), and we got an email saying that the restaurant would be operating at a smaller capacity to be compliant which the suggested distances between people :roll:

Coule of buddies of mine are in westport (mayo) at a stag do this weekend and they are saying that the new government directions have made no difference to the pubs down there
It's a little worrying the way the Irish public are treating this. Italy was at the same three weeks ago and look at it now. Only difference is the Irish health system is already on its knees
It's very worrying that the chief medical person coordinating Ireland's response to this pandemic has to go on national TV to say that he has anecdotal evidence to suggest that not all pubs are observing this ruling. This is typical of the old Irish attitude that all will be grand and no one will tell us what to do. Sorry but recklessness as a national trait is swapped for stupidity at this point..
Fine the pubs that break this directive. .and fine those who go in to them..
My cousin told me today that the hotel she works in is hosting a wedding for 180 people.. Under employment law the staff there are covered if they refuse to work. Thankfully she isn't working today.

If the government want people to take this seriously then maybe they shouldn't be giving out mixed messages - up until yesterday our government were allowing flights into Ireland from Italy despite the fact that it is rampant over there :evil: :evil: They were advising people to be cautious if they are going to Italy or spain …………. what the fcuk does that even mean ? If the risk of this is as serious as we are told, then stopping planes and boats going in and out of our country should have been stopped long before now, and thousands of people going over to cheltnaham would have been impossible.
I cant help feeling that the government are pushing us into total lockdown despite telling everyone not to panic or bulk shop :roll: Are we heading into martial law type scenario where the soldiers are gonna be on the streets stopping anything other than crucial travel ? We are operating off the seat of our pants with no visible plan in play, and it is making it harder for people to buy into what they are being told - if you tell people that we are gonna go into total lockdown for 3 or 4 weeks and the plan then is to gradually resume normal life then people would willingly make that sacrifice (I think), but what we are being told is that this could go on for months and even stupid people on the streets know that is not workable at all. If the government's blatant inaction on travel (planes, boats and trains) has caused the spread of the virus in our country, then that is on them and not on the people

LeftfootlegendGooner

augie wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:22 pm
Bradywasking wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:35 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:26 pm
augie wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:43 pm
Bradywasking wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:15 pm

Lot of the City centre pubs and restaurants are closing, this isdue to falling numbers as much as health concerns.. The 100 persons limit at indoor gatherings is hard to monitor in pubs, much easier in restaurants due to seating and tables. Local pubs in suburbia are limiting entry, this is a big week normally in pubs in Ireland. Some are choosing to close on Tuesday , St Patrick's Day, because falling numbers allied to paying staff double time isn't economically viable to them..Not sure what is happening outside Dublin.

In the town nearest to me many of the pubs are staying open until 11pm but are closing then. Some of those pubs have also decided not to open on Friday or Saturday nights at all though, cos restricting the numbers would be nigh on impossible on those nights. The pubs and hotels are cancelling bookings for parties and weddings that had been booked a long time ago, and that is especially hard on people that are getting married cos of the amount of planning involved.
Tomorrow night we are supposed to be going out for dinner with the sister in law and boyfriend to celebrate their recent engagement (god love him :lol: ), and we got an email saying that the restaurant would be operating at a smaller capacity to be compliant which the suggested distances between people :roll:

Coule of buddies of mine are in westport (mayo) at a stag do this weekend and they are saying that the new government directions have made no difference to the pubs down there
It's a little worrying the way the Irish public are treating this. Italy was at the same three weeks ago and look at it now. Only difference is the Irish health system is already on its knees
It's very worrying that the chief medical person coordinating Ireland's response to this pandemic has to go on national TV to say that he has anecdotal evidence to suggest that not all pubs are observing this ruling. This is typical of the old Irish attitude that all will be grand and no one will tell us what to do. Sorry but recklessness as a national trait is swapped for stupidity at this point..
Fine the pubs that break this directive. .and fine those who go in to them..
My cousin told me today that the hotel she works in is hosting a wedding for 180 people.. Under employment law the staff there are covered if they refuse to work. Thankfully she isn't working today.

If the government want people to take this seriously then maybe they shouldn't be giving out mixed messages - up until yesterday our government were allowing flights into Ireland from Italy despite the fact that it is rampant over there :evil: :evil: They were advising people to be cautious if they are going to Italy or spain …………. what the fcuk does that even mean ? If the risk of this is as serious as we are told, then stopping planes and boats going in and out of our country should have been stopped long before now, and thousands of people going over to cheltnaham would have been impossible.
I cant help feeling that the government are pushing us into total lockdown despite telling everyone not to panic or bulk shop :roll: Are we heading into martial law type scenario where the soldiers are gonna be on the streets stopping anything other than crucial travel ? We are operating off the seat of our pants with no visible plan in play, and it is making it harder for people to buy into what they are being told - if you tell people that we are gonna go into total lockdown for 3 or 4 weeks and the plan then is to gradually resume normal life then people would willingly make that sacrifice (I think), but what we are being told is that this could go on for months and even stupid people on the streets know that is not workable at all. If the government's blatant inaction on travel (planes, boats and trains) has caused the spread of the virus in our country, then that is on them and not on the people
Agreed, surely stopping any flights incoming from China when this first appeared would have been the least we could expect from our governments, after all they are in power to look after us, the people.

The Ebola outbreak was controlled some years back but then it was Africa and not the richest country in the world.

Truth is it's all down to the dollar until it's too late and now there's widespread panic.

Anyhow I hope all of us here and everywhere stay safe and healthy, good luck to you all.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Augie I wouldn't disagree with anything you say, but we now find ourselves in this situation and people need to be responsible also..

LeftfootlegendGooner

I wouldn't know how to share it but a mate of mine in oireland just sent me a video of the wutan market, they are some sick puppies those Chinese, just about every animal you could think of (but would never conceive of as food) is being sold in it, fuckin depraved pricks

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

As tragic as it is for those who will die and for their loved ones, this is a daily occurance worldwide with many, many other diseases, what makes this virus so special?

Sorry but i refuse to get hysterical over this as tragic as it may be for some. The death rate overall is currently lower than the flu, the overall infection rate is lower than the flu at the mooment, do we lose our shit over that every year, no we don't. For the record millions are infected with the Flu every year and in high mortality years it can kill up to on average 20,000 in the UK alone. What is scaring everyone is that this is something new and terrifying and the poor responses of the media and governments has made it worse coupled with the selfish and irresponsible attitude of people.

Media hype and sensationalism is making this worse than it is although it is pretty bad and too many idiots are responding in the wrong manner to it, hence the inability for many to buy essentials currently and the rapid spread of the virus in some countries so yes some levity is called for if for no other reason than to bring perspective back to normally sensible and intelligent people :roll:

As it is hardly effecting kids with no underlying health problems i'm quite happy for my 14 year old to be at school, i can understand those parents who arent however if this is does end up an annual occurance then we'd better get them building up antibodies now rather than have the same situation potentially occur year after year, and that goes for the adults too.

Spanish flu killed between 20-50M worldwide, dependant on which study you read, in 18 months between 1918 and 1920 and this has killed a few thousand in 4-6 months so it has a long long way to go at the moment. Perspective is relative to position, i take the position that their is fuck all i can do about it in reality so i am not going to worry about it until it happens to me or my family. I've seen way too much tragedy up close and personal in various fucked up countires for this to get to me and i'm sorry if that and my irreverance offends :rubchin:

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

Rian1 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:47 pm
Theoperator wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:10 pm
(And to think people criticized China for marking numbers down
There's a subtle difference between not being able to test/not noticing until too late and blatantly hiding figures and the fact that it was noticed before Xmas and collectively, as a government, keep it on the down low to not alert any other country and hurt their economy. One is a problem that cannot be solved easily, the other is hypocrisy and greed to keep the economy pushing for the number 1 spot in the world.
Neither are good but TBF what difference would it have made? We’ve had 8 weeks to prepare and have done F all Europe wise Trumps done less. Another 4 weeks would have meant 4 weeks more panic buying. At least Andrex would have had 4 more extra weeks of panic sales I guess. If suddenly a new virus took off in the UK it would be noticed and broadcast a bit faster but not as fast as we may think.
How it came about in China is a different Matter

Look how fast numbers have happened in Italy even knowing what it was. It couldn’t have been as long as people think that it was hidden in China.
At least they bothered to build hospitals and ventilators. In Italy they are literally choosing who to ventilate. It’s going to be the same in the UK, you wait.

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

Rian1 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:47 pm
Theoperator wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:10 pm
(And to think people criticized China for marking numbers down
There's a subtle difference between not being able to test/not noticing until too late and blatantly hiding figures and the fact that it was noticed before Xmas and collectively, as a government, keep it on the down low to not alert any other country and hurt their economy. One is a problem that cannot be solved easily, the other is hypocrisy and greed to keep the economy pushing for the number 1 spot in the world.
Neither are good but TBF what difference would it have made? We’ve had 8 weeks to prepare and have done F all Europe wise Trumps done less. Another 4 weeks would have meant 4 weeks more panic buying. At least Andrex would have had 4 more extra weeks of panic sales I guess. If suddenly a new virus took off in the UK it would be noticed and broadcast a bit faster but not as fast as we may think.
How it came about in China is a different Matter

Look how fast numbers have happened in Italy even knowing what it was. It couldn’t have been as long as people think that it was hidden in China.
At least they bothered to build hospitals and ventilators. In Italy they are literally choosing who to ventilate. It’s going to be the same in the UK, you wait.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:34 am
As tragic as it is for those who will die and for their loved ones, this is a daily occurance worldwide with many, many other diseases, what makes this virus so special?

Sorry but i refuse to get hysterical over this as tragic as it may be for some. The death rate overall is currently lower than the flu, the overall infection rate is lower than the flu at the mooment, do we lose our shit over that every year, no we don't. For the record millions are infected with the Flu every year and in high mortality years it can kill up to on average 20,000 in the UK alone. What is scaring everyone is that this is something new and terrifying and the poor responses of the media and governments has made it worse coupled with the selfish and irresponsible attitude of people.

Media hype and sensationalism is making this worse than it is although it is pretty bad and too many idiots are responding in the wrong manner to it, hence the inability for many to buy essentials currently and the rapid spread of the virus in some countries so yes some levity is called for if for no other reason than to bring perspective back to normally sensible and intelligent people :roll:

As it is hardly effecting kids with no underlying health problems i'm quite happy for my 14 year old to be at school, i can understand those parents who arent however if this is does end up an annual occurance then we'd better get them building up antibodies now rather than have the same situation potentially occur year after year, and that goes for the adults too.

Spanish flu killed between 20-50M worldwide, dependant on which study you read, in 18 months between 1918 and 1920 and this has killed a few thousand in 4-6 months so it has a long long way to go at the moment. Perspective is relative to position, i take the position that their is fuck all i can do about it in reality so i am not going to worry about it until it happens to me or my family. I've seen way too much tragedy up close and personal in various fucked up countires for this to get to me and i'm sorry if that and my irreverance offends :rubchin:

Disagree with everything you say. The death rate as a % is much higher than the flu, with no cure in sight for at least a year. With the flu, there is a vaccination developed every year available on the NHS for free. The other worrying thing about COVID-19 is that it doesn't seem to fade away when the weather gets warmer, its spread in tropical countries as well as China.

Your 14 year old could contract COVID-19 and unknowingly without any symptoms pass it onto you or your parents or other elderly people. The odds of surviving as someone over 60 diminish. When you get to over 80s death is a big risk.

It's ironic that you talk about globalisation as one of the reasons for this pandemic but say it's ok because Spanish Flu killed a lot more when the world wasn't integrated as much.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Corona Virus is a part of the world we have created...so, even the world doesn't want the scousers to win the Prem :D

John F

Post by John F »

What is the feeling over in Ireland about one part of the island having stricter restrictions then the North?.People must be crossing over on a daily basis.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

:oops:
Last edited by StuartL on Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

StuartL wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:31 am
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:55 pm
If they opt to award Livarpool the league then do the relegations happen and current European places stand? It will be interesting to see how they justify it if they do :rubchin:

So looking forward to the meltdown if the league is completely cancelled :barscarf:
Impossible to do - some clubs have played a game less than others.

Villa, for example, with a win (unlikely, but that’s football) would climb out for the relegation zone and Watford would drop back in it.
Sheffield Utd, with their game on hand could leapfrog the Mancs into,5th place and potentially Champions League spot give Man City’s situation.

I understand that Liverpool, would in all probability win the league, but we could argue the case that given the run of form we are in (3 wins on the trot) we would make up ground on those above us, we also have a game in hand.

What about the FA Cup - we are record holders in terms of winners, finalists etc so I think we should be awarded it this year as we were bound to go on and win it :barscarf:

Can’t see football getting back to normal at all - the season is over - nobody gets relegated, promoted, all gets abandoned.

I know football means so much to us, but life could change irrevocably due to this virus now and potentially take years to get back to normality.

Football is the least of societies issues