Season predictor / What happens next? Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
northbank123

Re: What happens next?

Post by northbank123 »

I see we’ve released a statement about needing to compete the season.

It’s just greed. Surely anybody other than Liverpool and Leeds fans would prefer to just start a new season as usual in early August or even July, and wash away this mess? The idea of squeezing 3 games a week throughout the summer in empty grounds to then start next season late and truncated suits nobody except the clubs who are desperate to not repay a penny to Sky.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

I’ve been pondering if, due to the outcry about players being paid their obscene amounts regardless of not putting in a shift (sic) will clubs now look to put pay as you play contracts in situ ?

If this sort of thing occurs again (and who knows it could re-occur again in the winter) or if players are long-term injured a la Diaby, Van Persie, etc etc then clubs could maybe pay them a first team squad wage of £20,000 a week rather than their full amount.

It would be a way to safeguard against having to pay a player who is injured, or fallen out of favour but happy to stay put on his big fat contract (mentioning no names) and the default amount , £20 k a week was my example , would be less than they might receive if they moved on to a new club, so they have an incentive to move.

In a situation like we find ourselves in now, the whole squad would receive the set amount and the clubs could afford to pay all their employees during a time of limited income.

Anyhoo - probably won’t happen but club owners will surely look at ways to protect themselves from having to pay players,who simply aren’t playing.

NickF

Post by NickF »

StuartL wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:05 pm

If this sort of thing occurs again (and who knows it could re-occur again in the winter) or if players are long-term injured a la Diaby, Van Persie, etc etc then clubs could maybe pay them a first team squad wage of £20,000 a week rather than their full amount.
I would imagine there are employment laws that would prevent this from happening. In the normal world I think most people would be pretty upset to have their wages docked for being off work with (for example) flu.

You also have to realise why players earn so much, because if we don't pay it, someone else will.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

The season has to be completed and if it happens behind closed doors, it happens behind closed doors.
There is no reason why they can't finish the last 10 games of the season in 10 weeks, then finish off the European competitions in a mini-tournament event after the domestic seasons have finish. Start the 2020/21 season in February 2021, then the 2022 the following February, moving football to a single calendar year.
International football has surely had it's day. Given the environmental factors of staging a world cup or euros I envisage that after we come out of this almost global lockdown, the world cup would be extremely unfashionable.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

StuartL wrote:
I’ve been pondering if, due to the outcry about players being paid their obscene amounts regardless of not putting in a shift (sic) will clubs now look to put pay as you play contracts in situ ?

It would be a way to safeguard against having to pay a player who is injured, or fallen out of favour but happy to stay put on his big fat contract (mentioning no names) and the default amount , £20 k a week was my example , would be less than they might receive if they moved on to a new club, so they have an incentive to move.

In a situation like we find ourselves in now, the whole squad would receive the set amount and the clubs could afford to pay all their employees during a time of limited income.

Anyhoo - probably won’t happen but club owners will surely look at ways to protect themselves from having to pay players,who simply aren’t playing.
I would imagine that the players are getting their close season break pay, which means no bonuses being paid. Consider most PL players can double their basic pay with matchday bonuses.
I thought it was wrong to call out Premier League players because of their incomes. They didn't mention anyone else in the entertainment sector, or anyone else like MP's to take a pay cut. And yes, there are employment law provisions that would be breached. Just shows the clubs that are run effectively from those that aren't. How can Burnley go into administration after 4 years in the Premier League, smallest player wage budget and a ground that is hardly a drain on it's resources, getting £100m a year in TV revenue alone, where is the money going there?

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

NickF wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:58 pm
StuartL wrote:

I would imagine there are employment laws that would prevent this from happening. In the normal world I think most people would be pretty upset to have their wages docked for being off work with (for example) flu.

You also have to realise why players earn so much, because if we don't pay it, someone else will.
It would all be down to contracts- pay as you play contracts have been often muted for persistently injured players, this could be no different, it just would apply to the whole team.
In the normal world, you are employed full stop - not usually for a set period of time of 3/4 years, where you could potentially miss a whole year through injury.
In the normal world, if you were off work 25% of the time your HR department would be having a talk about you being fit for the role

Anyway, no it won’t happen, players have the power (and agents) and their greed will win through

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

In the normal world, if you were off work 25% of the time your HR department would be having a talk about you being fit for the role .

Much would depend on how the injury or illness was contracted.
We over the years have had many incidents where players like Rosicky , Eduardo , Diaby etc have had long lay offs which were forced on them , not their fault , Big Tone however getting pissed and falling down steps would be different , self imposed .
Take today's situation how do you account for a player that contracts a viral disease where there is no obvious donor ?
Will there have to be a tribunal ?
Good for lawyers I would think.

StuartL

End of season predictor

Post by StuartL »

https://ranked-list-images.files.bbci.c ... 6a9a6.html

BBC has come up with a way for you to imput your final positions prediction ( assuming games do, eventually get played )

Relegation for me would be Norwich, Villa and Bournemouth, but would love it if it was West Ham.

Scotland lower leagues today voting on finishing their season..........not the Premiership though, I think they are voting on a points per games scenario to finalise the season.

Nos89

Re: End of season predictor

Post by Nos89 »

October 2020.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Just cancel the whole thing 8)

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

It was last August for us 😂

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

falkirk goon wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:00 am
It was last August for us :lol:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Please visit BBC football webpage and cast your vote to “declare season null and void” and show those victim bastards, that despite what they think, that them being crowned plge champions, is not the biggest issue in the world right now.
CU N T S

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

falkirk goon wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:01 am
falkirk goon wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:00 am
It was last August for us :lol:
Are you laughing at your own joke ?

:lol:

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

goonersid wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:54 am
Please visit BBC football webpage and cast your vote to “declare season null and void” and show those victim bastards, that despite what they think, that them being crowned plge champions, is not the biggest issue in the world right now.
CU N T S

/https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52282288