Anfield 89 (and other matches) rerun on tv

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
OneBardGooner

Re: Anfield 89 (and other matches) rerun on tv

Post by OneBardGooner »

StuartL wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:16 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:30 am
Gunner Rob wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:56 pm
Really enjoyed watching the 79 cup final on ITV a couple of weeks back.

Anyway tomorrow at 5pm on ITV it is the 89 Anfield match :barscarf:
Yep, there is nothing like hearing Brian Moore saying "its up for grabs now, Thomaaaaas!".
Or Pleat saying “somewhat poetic justice
:blah: :blah: :censored:

As he says on Fever Pitch: "Oh! Shut Up Pleat" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

I watched it yet again and, yet again, got a chill down my spine. I mean it's not like the result's going to change is it!?

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

There was something about listening to YNWA as ITV did the scarf swaying bit homage , knowing that tears were about to flow.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

A11M11 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 5:20 pm
There was something about listening to YNWA as ITV did the scarf swaying bit homage , knowing that tears were about to flow.
Yeah! Especially that utter C.U.N.T (The're all c.u.n.t.s but you know what I mean :wink: ) in the top hat with all the badges etc...

Don't know how many home fans could fit into anfield back then.. :rubchin: let's say 40,000 (of which only 30 paid) it still surprises me that after we WON they didn't start a campaign along the lines of 'justice for the the 40,000 - We want our money back'. :D

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Red Snapper wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:53 pm
I watched it yet again and, yet again, got a chill down my spine. I mean it's not like the result's going to change is it!?
Yeah its amazing just watching the replay nervous as hell.....still think Thomas has left it a split second too late

McMahon with his 1 minute, and Barnes shaking hands.....most incredible finish ever

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Redarmy wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:11 am
Red Snapper wrote:
Yeah its amazing just watching the replay nervous as hell.....still think Thomas has left it a split second too late

McMahon with his 1 minute, and Barnes shaking hands.....most incredible finish ever
Highly respected Irish journalist Con Houlihan wrote in the Dublin Evening Press the following day. "The Liverpool fanatics were on the Kop, the Arsenal fanatics were on the pitch ".

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Bradywasking wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 7:07 am
Redarmy wrote:
Red Snapper wrote:

Highly respected Irish journalist Con Houlihan wrote in the Dublin Evening Press the following day. "The Liverpool fanatics were on the Kop, the Arsenal fanatics were on the pitch ".
I can remember the press saying it was a game too far for the scousers, that the emotion of Hillsborough prevented them winning the league.

Strange that It didn’t prevent them winning the re-arranged semi with Forest or the cup final v Everton or walloping West Ham the previous week 5-1, anybody who didn’t know different might suspect it was just excuses for a team of bad losers, who couldn’t handle being beaten at home 2-0.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

One thing that struck me on that night was in the kop was a not-insignificant amount of Gooners right in the middle from memory. And when smith scored, you could see Gooners getting up in the seats in the pool end.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

StuartL wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:31 am
Bradywasking wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 7:07 am
Redarmy wrote:
Red Snapper wrote:

I can remember the press saying it was a game too far for the scousers, that the emotion of Hillsborough prevented them winning the league.

Strange that It didn’t prevent them winning the re-arranged semi with Forest or the cup final v Everton or walloping West Ham the previous week 5-1, anybody who didn’t know different might suspect it was just excuses for a team of bad losers, who couldn’t handle being beaten at home 2-0.
I had that thrown at me by a plastic Victims fan, I pointed out the logical answer being that Liverpool had played several games between Hillsborough and May 26th and the last one was the only they lost.
When Liverpool celebrated winning the FA Cup at Wembley the previous week it wasn't an issue. In fact there were apparently "words" between Liverpool players and their fans who were on the pitch. The players felt the fans were taking from their glory

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Happy 26th May! :barscarf:

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Watched it again last night on ITV. Still celebrate like a lunatic when Thomas scores. :barscarf:

Also, Arsenal outplayed them that night, Adams was immense. He even does a Gerrard slip at one point late in the second half but he recovers like true title winning captain legends should do. The team George built that won 4 league titles, albeit two without him.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Somewhere in my mind, it's always Friday 26th May 1989, just as the yellow clock appears in the corner of the screen and Lukic, Dixon, Smith and Thomas combine in one of the most beautiful sporting moments there will ever be. "It's up for grabs now..."

goonertux

Post by goonertux »

Do we all still watch it and think shit, Thomas just pushed it a bit too far ahead of him, then the ricochet off Nichol sets him up and Bang! The greatest night to be a Gooner if you’re old enough to have been there or watched it in a pub around Highbury. Sweet, sweet memories!

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

nice to see that sky are finally recognising it