Anfield 89 (and other matches) rerun on tv

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Anfield 89 (and other matches) rerun on tv

Post by StuartL »

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... like-again

I think it is the whole game - hopefully followed by the trophy presentation (although the silly sausages cut to an ad break I seem to recall from my well watched dvd)

nut flush gooner

Re: Anfield 89 rerun on tv 8pm tonight 8/5/20 sky sports

Post by nut flush gooner »

Looks like its the movie mate the way its shown in the schedule. Either way City 2012 nahhhh.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Didn't watch it, but I presume Sly Sports changed the ending, and a 12 year old Stevie Me captained Liverpool to victory.

nut flush gooner

Yeah as I thought it was the documentary movie rather than the whole game. You could see even now how much this group would fight for each other. Lee Dixon, Steve Bould and Nigel Winterburn were outsiders in that they weren't from London but they got what it meant to play for Arsenal.

The scene where Lee Dixon described being roughed up by the other players before the NLD made me realise why we hardly ever lost against them in this era. Some of the foreign players got it too Dennis, Paddy, TH14, Freddie and Bobby spring to mind. What a shame the current lot don't have this drilled into them.

Its on sky on demand now for anyone who hasn't seen it.

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 6:48 pm
Looks like its the movie mate the way its shown in the schedule. Either way City 2012 nahhhh.
That’s a shame, the whole match and celebrations afterwards are well worth watching again. I don’t have a VHS player anymore else it would get a rerun every year at least - even the news that followed (with Moria Stewart) had a camera crew at Highbury filming the fans celebrating.

DB10GOONER

Re: Anfield 89 (and other matches) rerun on tv

Post by DB10GOONER »

With apologies to StuartL I've slightly hijacked this thread and amended the title a bit.

Over the weekend I enjoyed watching (as well as the aforementioned 89) some reruns of our PL title winning matches at old toilet in 02 and shite fart drain in 04. What teams we had back then. Wenger speaking sense in post match interviews too!! :? :wink:

Great days brother Gooners. :barscarf:

wibble

Post by wibble »

The ‘match of their day’ with Ian Wright and then Martin Keown were a good watch just to see our title wins again.

I can’t imagine many people watched the Jermaine Jenas episode though!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

wibble wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:21 pm
The ‘match of their day’ with Ian Wright and then Martin Keown were a good watch just to see our title wins again.

I can’t imagine many people watched the Jermaine Jenas episode though!
:lol:

"So Jermaine what was it like playing in the legendary sp*rs team that won the Inaugural Invititational Hong Kong Sun Tournament?"

:D

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

EirSport showed the entire 1987 Littlewoods Trophy Final last weekend. Great to relive the game and Barry Davis commentary. After Charlie got the winning goal the crowd scenes at the Arsenal end were amazing. Sadly sanitised football means we will never see the like of them again.
On a sadder and more serious footnote Arsenal captain on the day Kenny Sansom is gravely ill in hospital after suffering injuries in an incident. Kenny was a tremendous player but has had a troubled life since retirement. Hoping he makes a full recovery.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Bradywasking wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:11 am
EirSport showed the entire 1987 Littlewoods Trophy Final last weekend. Great to relive the game and Barry Davis commentary. After Charlie got the winning goal the crowd scenes at the Arsenal end were amazing. Sadly sanitised football means we will never see the like of them again.
On a sadder and more serious footnote Arsenal captain on the day Kenny Sansom is gravely ill in hospital after suffering injuries in an incident. Kenny was a tremendous player but has had a troubled life since retirement. Hoping he makes a full recovery.

That was a cracking day out at the old wembley and the first crack in the victims armour before we finished the fu.ckers off in 89 and 91.

We were in the upper section of the terracing which defied health and safety by having those really raised steps rather than the usual shallow steps - what a pile of bodies when the winner went in :lol: As you say no chance of ever experiencing those great days again.

It is a shame about KS - the guy just can't seem to shake his problems which given his past glories is just very sad.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Really enjoyed watching the 79 cup final on ITV a couple of weeks back.

Anyway tomorrow at 5pm on ITV it is the 89 Anfield match :barscarf:

nut flush gooner

Gunner Rob wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:56 pm

Yep, there is nothing like hearing Brian Moore saying "its up for grabs now, Thomaaaaas!".

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:30 am
Gunner Rob wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:56 pm

Yep, there is nothing like hearing Brian Moore saying "its up for grabs now, Thomaaaaas!".
Or Pleat saying “somewhat poetic justice”
:blah: :blah: :censored:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Scouse plod and stewards after we won - an absolute shower of shit. They'd have cancelled awarding the trophy on the pitch if they could.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

"It's Up For Grabs Nowwwww!" :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

https://www.itv.com/hub/itv-football-cl ... a0304a0004

Ohhh! maaaan WHAT A NIGHT! :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

And seeing the reactions of all those scouser :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: s was The Cherry on the Icing!