Anfield 89 (and other matches) rerun on tv

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: Anfield 89 (and other matches) rerun on tv

Post by DB10GOONER »

I've done parachute jumps and bungee jumps and taken all the drugs there is and drank all the booze there is and fucked a continent's worth of women but none of that gave me the electrifying mind blowing pure rush of adrenaline and joy that that goal gave me. 8)

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Watching the interview with Smith, Merson and Dixon about the making of 89, I was pleased to hear that Wrighty was reluctant to do it as he was at Palace at the time. The hook of Rocky got him on board and its his description of watching the game, wanting Arsenal to win, puts him in the same boat as the rest of us that night.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Re: Anfield 89 (and other matches) rerun on t

Post by StuartL »

https://ibb.co/KVZ3zZc

My match ticket and travel club boarding pass :barscarf: :barscarf:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Nos89 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:48 pm
Watching the interview with Smith, Merson and Dixon about the making of 89, I was pleased to hear that Wrighty was reluctant to do it as he was at Palace at the time. The hook of Rocky got him on board and its his description of watching the game, wanting Arsenal to win, puts him in the same boat as the rest of us that night.

Just watched that earlier today, a really good interview and very interesting to hear them talking about Rocky. When I heard the bit about Wrighty getting embarrassed about crying on film over Rocky I nearly got a bit choked up myself.

Anybody on here know anyone who managed to get a ticket that night and went :rubchin: :wink: :barscarf:

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Not me , just watched the re run in the same room that I watched it live.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 7:05 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:48 pm

Just watched that earlier today, a really good interview and very interesting to hear them talking about Rocky. When I heard the bit about Wrighty getting embarrassed about crying on film over Rocky I nearly got a bit choked up myself.

Anybody on here know anyone who managed to get a ticket that night and went :rubchin: :wink: :barscarf:
Yes, I do. The season ticket holder I used to sit next to at the Grove, went.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

StuartL wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 6:21 pm

One of the lucky 74,000 Gooners that made it into Anfield that night huh Stu? :D :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:01 pm
StuartL wrote:

One of the lucky 74,000 Gooners that made it into Anfield that night huh Stu? :D :wink:
But also why the fuck haven't you got that ticket framed mate? :shock:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Watched the highlights of the Arsenal v Liverpool match at the start of the 2016/17 season. The game ended 4-3 to Liverpool which was the start of the re-building programme which had led to their current team. Five players that started that game with them are still in the starting line-up. Interestingly, none of their back 4 or goalkeeper are at the club. To note 5 of the Arsenal players that started that game are still at the club, 3 defenders and 2 midfielders. They are Bellerin, Chambers, Holding, Xhaka and Elneny (albeit on loan). Just shows how negligent the club have been in resolving the defensive issues surrounding the squad.
It was only the second time in 21 games Liverpool had beaten us at our home ground. I'd forgotten about this game. Definitely a point in time which shows the change in fortunes of both clubs since that game. That season they pipped us by one point to finish 4th. Now we are looking at a staggering 42 point difference between us. Fucking embarrassing :oops: :oops: :banghead:

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:02 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
StuartL wrote:

Christ alive you nag more than my ex wife - it’s only been 31 years, I’ve been busy, I’ll do it later ! :evil:

:lol: :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

StuartL wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:27 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 10:02 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
StuartL wrote:

Christ alive you nag more than my ex wife - it’s only been 31 years, I’ve been busy, I’ll do it later ! :evil:

:lol: :wink:
:lol: :lol:

John F

Post by John F »

StuartL wrote:

What was it like in the streets after the game Stuart.I went to the Wimbledon home game and I remember just being totally despondent after that match I thought we had blown it and my mate was pissing me off as he was being annoyingly positive claiming we would get a result at Anfield.

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

John F wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:06 am
StuartL wrote:

What was it like in the streets after the game Stuart.I went to the Wimbledon home game and I remember just being totally despondent after that match I thought we had blown it and my mate was pissing me off as he was being annoyingly positive claiming we would get a result at Anfield.

I felt the same initially - after the Derby defeat and letting. In the equaliser v Wimbledon and then Liverpool smashing West Ham 5-1, leaving us a mountain to climb.

However, we had already been up to Anfield that season in the league cup and played them off the park but only got a 1-1 draw (Rocky’s stunner with little back lift)
The coach going up was incredible, singing all the way, maybe bravado but actual belief too.
We got in half way through the first half, after Bould’s headed chance and our fans didn’t stop singing (not that you would pick it up from the tv mic’s :rubchin: :roll:

At 1-0 I said to my mate Lee “we are going to fucking do this” and even after Micky T’s spurned chance I knew we would get one more - I refused to give up on the lads.

Afterwards our return journey was quieter than going up. as everyone had given their all, mentally and physically exhausted (but well worth it)

We wre the first coach back to Highbury and we were met like conquering hero’s by the few hundred that were still there at silly o’clock in the morning, handshakes, back slaps, swigs of drink and an impromptu conga through the coach and out the emergency exit. :barscarf: :barscarf:

John F

Post by John F »

StuartL wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:42 am
John F wrote:
[qu :D ote=StuartL post_id=1140630 time=1590603690 user_id=2717]

I felt the same initially - after the Derby defeat and letting. In the equaliser v Wimbledon and then Liverpool smashing West Ham 5-1, leaving us a mountain to climb.

However, we had already been up to Anfield that season in the league cup and played them off the park but only got a 1-1 draw (Rocky’s stunner with little back lift)
The coach going up was incredible, singing all the way, maybe bravado but actual belief too.
We got in half way through the first half, after Bould’s headed chance and our fans didn’t stop singing (not that you would pick it up from the tv mic’s :rubchin: :roll:

At 1-0 I said to my mate Lee “we are going to fucking do this” and even after Micky T’s spurned chance I knew we would get one more - I refused to give up on the lads.

Afterwards our return journey was quieter than going up. as everyone had given their all, mentally and physically exhausted (but well worth it)

We wre the first coach back to Highbury and we were met like conquering hero’s by the few hundred that were still there at silly o’clock in the morning, handshakes, back slaps, swigs of drink and an impromptu conga through the coach and out the emergency exit. :barscarf: :barscarf:
[/quote]
:D I watched it again today and I think we had the better team on the pitch but at the time such was the media hype of all things Liverpool I thought we had blown it.I went to the Derby game as well and that was a shocker.

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

John F wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:23 pm
StuartL wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:42 am
John F wrote:
[qu :D ote=StuartL post_id=1140630 time=1590603690 user_id=2717]

:D I watched it again today and I think we had the better team on the pitch but at the time such was the media hype of all things Liverpool I thought we had blown it.I went to the Derby game as well and that was a shocker.
[/quote]

Saunders initial goal was a great strike - Tony got done all ends up and just kicked him for the penalty for his second - luckily Smith scored a late consolation to make it 2-1.

It played into our hands that Liverpool could draw, lose 1-0, and still win the league - the 2nd goal, so , so late was perfect timing :barscarf: